Start by marking “Hello, Cutie!: Adventures in Cute Culture” as Want to Read:
Hello, Cutie!: Adventures in Cute Culture

Hello, Cutie!: Adventures in Cute Culture

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  22 ratings  ·  10 reviews
A doe-eyed doll, a smiley-faced cupcake, a sweet plush kitten: they're cute?and cute is at the heart of a growing legion of adult collectors and enthusiasts who live and breathe all things cuddly and adorable.

Journalist and writer Pamela Klaffke, author of Spree: A Cultural History of Shopping and herself an avid collector of cute since she was a child, takes readers on a
Published October 23rd 2012 by Arsenal Pulp Press (first published October 16th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Hello, Cutie!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hello, Cutie!

elstaffe
I actually ended up enjoying this book much more than I'd expected to. For some reason, while I knew I'd requested this for review (Disclaimer: received this book for free through Goodreads' FirstReads program), I somehow forgot the contents in the (disgracefully numerous) intervening months between request and perusal. When I (finally) picked it up to read, I was under the impression it was a coffee-table, bookstore checkout-line kind of book, with pretty pictures and snide captions (that aren' ...more
Batsap
3 and a half stars.

This was such a cute book. Obviously! I liked the layout and Pamela Klaffke's photographs - I love the effect she creates by using old film cameras. The style was very readable and friendly. I felt like I got to know the author and her collection of cute. I also enjoyed the profile pieces on other cute collectors and artists. This was a good introduction to the culture and it helped me better understand and appreciate my own interest in it. I just wish more pictures had been p
Jenny
This book made me realize that I belong to cute culture more than I realized. And while there's not really a unified cute culture (segmented as it is between the Blythe lovers and the Hello Kitty addicts and the pose doll collectors), Pamela Klaffke would be a pretty good representative for the idea of one. Her interests in cute are varied, and I liked the thread she wove through the book about how she and her preteen daughter share a love of cute (though their tastes are not always identical).

I
Sandra
I won an advance copy of this book through Firstreads. Liked it - worth checking out if you own a Hello Kitty toaster or still have a Care Bear collection tucked away somewhere. The best thing is the photographs, mostly taken by the author (cute dolls and toys against vintage fabric backdrops), and in fact I could have done with more of them and less text (a picture being worth a thousand words and all that). The essays and profiles of collectors/bloggers in the "world of cute" contain some inte ...more
Paper Droids
Have you ever asked yourself questions about cuteness? “Why on earth is that considered cute!?” or “Is this cute?” Almost every day I seem to have at least one of these two questions bearing down on my shopping endeavors. The real question is: Why do I think it is cute?

The good news for those of us who love to read is that Pamela Klaffke, the magistrate of all things cute, has a new book out on what cute culture is all about.

In her book Hello, Cutie: Adventures in Cute Culture, Klaffke embarks o
Claire
This book was surprisingly readable for nonfiction. I find that I don't agree with the authors sense of cute, in fact, I found most of the pictures in the book somewhat disturbing. XD however, it did give me a new perspective on cute culture, something I think I subscribe to but have never really closely examined. Though I already knew most of the information in the book, I found some of it quite surprising and interesting, especially just how large and devoted the crowd of cute followers is. Ov ...more
Lily
Contains a number of essays describing personal experiences with different forms of cuteness. It focuses a lot on dolls (such as Blythe) and aspects of Japanese cute culture.

The content itself is a little a boring at some parts, but not bad. I just wish the pictures within the book were higher quality and actually matched the essays. Many of the photos were grainy and were taken in poor lighting conditions, making them look more creepy than cute.
Heather
I don't want to sound stupid, but this book is adorable. More importantly, it's smart. Various women are asked why we are drawn to cute objects in our culture throughout the decades-from kewpee dolls to Care Bears, to Strawbeery Shortcake to Anime to lambs. Essays are from business and collectors. Each is thoughtfully and loving written. I was definatly glad I won this one. I would never picked this up in the store.
Mills College Library
790.132 K631 2012
Kayla Henry
I received this through Goodreads First Reads. Hello, Cutie! is a nice, light read about our culture of cute! It was totally fun but also made perfect sense. I'm definitely one of the people who love all things adorable, so I was glad to get the chance to read something like this.
Bill
Bill marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
Cmeiss330
Cmeiss330 is currently reading it
Dec 26, 2014
Aja
Aja marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Crystal Johnson
Crystal Johnson marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2014
Sydney
Sydney marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2014
Tom
Tom marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2013
Aileen
Aileen marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2013
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2012
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2012