Start by marking “Queering Anarchism: Addressing and Undressing Power and Desire” as Want to Read:
Queering Anarchism: Addressing and Undressing Power and Desire

Queering Anarchism: Addressing and Undressing Power and Desire

"A much-needed collection that thinks through power, desire, and human liberation. These pieces are sure to raise the level of debate about sexuality, gender, and the ways that they tie in with struggles against our ruling institutions." - Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz, "Outlaw Woman"

"Against the austerity of straight politics, "Queering Anarchism "sketches the connections between
Published January 29th 2013 by AK Press (first published January 11th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Queering Anarchism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Queering Anarchism

[this is a short review that may be expanded at a later date]: the worst parts of this volume (and they are legitimately wretched] is the resurfacing of anarcho-communism as a conceptual framework to understand struggles (it's not like i shouldn't expect this from AK press, but i still feel the ok with calling a dying and obsolete system odious) specifically in "Radical Queers and Class Struggle: A Match to Be Made" (Gayge Operaista) or reproducing work that has been literally done thousands of ...more
yarrow
Jul 26, 2015 yarrow rated it did not like it
For a book on queer anarchism, this was shockingly boring. Its also intensely arrogant to assert that all of these professional academics are "queering anarchism" when the anarchist movement has an extremely rich history of participation by queer and gender variant people. Then again, as one of the other commenters mentioned, this book is comprised almost entirely of workerist and platformist types... so their anarchism might need to be 'queered' a little. Also, "Queering Heterosexuality"? ...more
Rui Coelho
Aug 01, 2015 Rui Coelho rated it it was ok
Some good ideas hidden among pages and pages of ramblings and personal stories
Helene von Tabouillot
Oct 09, 2016 Helene von Tabouillot rated it really liked it
Since this is a collection, of course some of the articles were better than others, and there was a lot of repetition - like basically 25 definitions of 'queer' and 'anarchism'. But some very interesting topics were covered - I had never heard of queercripping, for instance. Some topics sounded interesting, like an intersection between anarchism and BDSM, but were covered very inadequately. There was also a lot of focus on practical life style decisions. But yes, I will recommend this, but the ...more
Corvus
I read this book. I enjoyed this book. My critical review does not mean I did not like this book. Also, this cover art is spectacular.

That said, I think this book is more for educating straight and cis anarchists. If you're already a queer or trans anarchist than you may not find anything new here. I felt uncomfortable as well with how much of the book was dedicated to finding ways to make heterosexuality queer and the definition of queer (while they very clearly express is not the only one) is
Shay Gabriel
Feb 06, 2013 Shay Gabriel rated it liked it
Half the essays were pretty great and critical of the notion that we can screw our way to freedom; the other half, unfortunately, exemplify some of the most obnoxious trends in radical queer politics. Of particular note is "queering heterosexuality," a rather insufferable piece written by a "non-straight-identified heterosexual" who uses the word t****y to describe some transgender people she hung out with once. There's also an essay that literally calls binary-identified transgender people ...more
subterran
Apr 19, 2016 subterran rated it it was ok
this is very much an introductory book, but while i appreciated its readability, some chapters gave numerous sweeping claims without giving any specific examples, and i wouldn't have trusted the information they gave if i hadn't already known it to be true. other chapters seem like they would be more useful to a reader new to these topics, but it would probably be better to get your information from a book of more consistent quality.

i was disappointed by a definition of queerness that included c
P.H.G. Haslam
Mar 09, 2016 P.H.G. Haslam rated it really liked it
A very exciting book. I've rarely read something I agree so wholeheartedly with! And in some really unusual ways.

The first six or so essays are solid and brilliant, but after then it becomes more hit and miss. Plenty worthwhile reading despite this. The book gives me a complete assurance in really questioning every one of my own assumptions, and the central importance of seeing the grey in between.

Fantastic thing to be in print, much recommended.
Shannon
May 21, 2013 Shannon rated it it was amazing
Full disclosure, I know two of the editors. Much of this is very thoughtful and made me think of things I hadn't. Much of it will strike seasoned anarcha-queer readers as harmless treading of dialectic water. I am genuinely confused as to the inclusion of Sandra Jeppesen's essay, "Queering Heterosexuality" (and, as alluded to in another review, her use of the T-word). Worth a read, especially as an introduction to, err, queering anarchism.
Oct 25, 2015 0 rated it it was ok
Volcano's piece was pretty good, the rest was some 101 shit that didn't offer much in the way of new, helpful, or interesting. critiques of identity politics, intragroup policing of 'queer'-ness, the need for intersectionality. may be an okay intro to someone who is exploring queer anarchism for the first time, but doesn't really address more nihilist stuff.
Chris Keeve
Aug 14, 2015 Chris Keeve rated it liked it
I read this as someone with very little exposure to anarchist texts/theory, but a lot of familiarity with intersectional queer/trans theory. It's a good stepping stone into radical queer thought, especially as it pertains to something as simple as re-thinking the ways in which we relate to each other and engage with each other inside and outside of radical spaces.
Shane
Jun 02, 2013 Shane rated it really liked it
This is an important and diverse volume that really does draw practical connections between contemporary queer theory and anarchism, especially with a look towards intersectionality Make this a must read!
Arlian
Jul 10, 2014 Arlian rated it liked it
I originally was given this book to review for MRR.

It's fine, not as bad as I originally feared it would be, at least. Too liberal for my tastes, but not as bad as I originally thought it would be. 3.5 stars.
Devon
Jul 07, 2016 Devon rated it liked it
a diverse collection of essays...some read like freshman gender studies papers, a few are brilliant...most are somewhere in the middle.

i especially liked Jaime Heckert's "Anarchy without Opposition" and Saffo Papantonopoulou's "Straightness Must Be Destroyed"
Timothy
Oct 31, 2013 Timothy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I really liked this book. all of the essays were thought provoking and discussed a wide array of topics at a comfortable introductory level.
Maggie Delano
Maggie Delano rated it it was amazing
Oct 25, 2015
Daniel
Daniel rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2016
Valerie
Valerie rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2015
Kimngan Tran
Kimngan Tran rated it did not like it
May 15, 2015
Sydney
Sydney rated it it was amazing
Dec 13, 2013
Jay
Jay rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2013
David Douthitt
David Douthitt rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2013
Sasha
Sasha rated it it was amazing
Mar 11, 2015
Gregory Kiefer
Gregory Kiefer rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2016
Millie
Millie rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2014
Matthew
Matthew rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2015
Ryan
Ryan rated it liked it
May 04, 2013
Jonas Cannon
Jonas Cannon rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2013
  • Against Equality: Queer Critiques of Gay Marriage
  • Captive Genders: Trans Embodiment and the Prison Industrial Complex
  • Nationalism and Culture
  • The Accumulation of Freedom: Writings on Anarchist Economics
  • Why Are Faggots So Afraid of Faggots?: Flaming Challenges to Masculinity, Objectification, and the Desire to Conform
  • Quiet Rumours: An Anarcha-Feminist Reader
  • Queer (In)Justice: The Criminalization of LGBT People in the United States
  • Sick From Freedom: African-American Illness and Suffering during the Civil War and Reconstruction
  • GenderQueer: Voices From Beyond the Sexual Binary
  • The Trouble with Normal: Sex, Politics, and the Ethics of Queer Life
  • Black Flame: The Revolutionary Class Politics of Anarchism and Syndicalism (Counter-Power vol 1)
  • Disidentifications: Queers of Color and the Performance of Politics
  • Post-Scarcity Anarchism
  • Statism and Anarchy (Texts in the History of Political Thought)
  • Prophets of War: Lockheed Martin and the Making of the Military-Industrial Complex
  • Trans Liberation: Beyond Pink or Blue