Start by marking “Night Letter” as Want to Read:
Night Letter

Night Letter

3.57  ·  Rating Details  ·  35 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Anahita, a nomadic weaver living in nineteenth-century Iran, is kidnapped on the eve of her wedding and thrown into the world of slavery and the mystical Sufi faith. Tinged with the fairy tale quality of her award-winning Anahita's Woven Riddle, Meghan Nuttall Sayres weaves details of Persian culture with poetry to create the story of a damsel in distress determined to sav ...more
Published February 12th 2013 by Nortia Press (first published December 11th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Night Letter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night Letter

M Hunt
Sep 30, 2012 M Hunt rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
This followup to Anahita's Woven Riddle is an intriguing mix of Persian princes, marauders and nomads. Sayres' vivid writing recreates the culture and setting of nineteenth-century Iran, and her heroine takes us on a treacherous journey of kidnapping, slavery and harems. An exciting, fascinating read.
Mary Farrell
Sep 30, 2012 Mary Farrell rated it it was amazing
Terrific follow up to ANAHITA'S WOVEN RIDDLE! I really enjoyed both of these books. NIGHT LETTER is a bit more of an adventure story, though Sayres maintains her beautifully descriptive writing and touches of Persian mysticism. The main character changes and grows in a very satisfying way through her trials in this book including kidnapping and slavery in a harem.
Cleo
Night Letter is the sequel to Anahita's Woven Riddle and is scheduled to come out in November 2012 from Nortia Press. I received an ARC from the author herself. Thank you!

In Night Letter, Anahita is abducted on her way to her wedding with Arash, by two strange men. You know, I was kind of hoping that Anahita would get to live "happily ever after" (or at least, as close as you can get to that), but...this book was also very good. It definitely had a very similar fairy-tale/fable writing style to
Nov 25, 2015 Jennifer rated it liked it
A follow-up to Anahita’s Woven Riddle, this book follows the story of Anahita and her fiance, Arash. Anahita has been kidnapped and her family and fiance are desperate to find her. They travel over snowy mountains, a hot desert and finally into an Emir’s lair in search for her.

Anahita is a strong female protagonist who relies on her wits, her knowledge of Persian law and riddles to free herself from situations. She’s lively and a good female role model. She doesn’t solely rely on her fiance and
Eskana
Apr 13, 2016 Eskana rated it liked it
This book is a continuation of "Anahita's Woven Riddle." However, I don't feel like you need to read the first one first, necessarily, although it would be helpful...

So, this book continues the story of Anahita, a young Persian girl living in what seems to be early twentieth century Persia (Iran.) The first book was about Anahita challenging those who wanted to be her suitors to a riddle contest and hiding the riddle in a weaving. It was more of a story, feeling independent of any particular tim
Julie Smith (Knitting and Sundries)
This is a tale of a soon-to-be bride who is kidnapped by two men. In the Persian culture of the time, this means that her chances for marriage are now ruined along with her reputation. As she works to maintain her dignity and look for escape, she also tries to get to know one of her kidnappers, who seems a cut above the type of men known to do this kind of work. Her family and friends are also looking for her, and she works to leave clues behind as she and the kidnappers travel.

There are some lo
Alicia
I absolutely adored Anahita's Woven Riddle and thought I would absolutely love this one too, but for reasons I can't truly explain, I didn't like it. It didn't grab me at the beginning and I hung on for a few chapters, but it still didn't catch me. I didn't feel the shock of Anahita's kidnap on the eve of her wedding and dreaded what would happen next.

Perhaps if I'd read it soon after reading Anahita's Woven Riddle, I could have gotten into it.
Sep 03, 2012 Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012-reads
Beautifully illustrated and thick with historical detail of a time and place you don't normally find represented in YA fiction, The Night Letter should be an absolute slam dunk. How wrong can you go, after all, with a tale of a kidnapped bride whose love must rescue her from the harem of an evil Emir? And yet despite the fascinating insight into Islam and the delight of having bits of Rumi quoted at the reader (take a moment to reflect on how tragically rare that is), Sayres' work remains sadly ...more
LeeAnn
May 22, 2015 LeeAnn rated it really liked it
This was my "waiting room" book over the past few months which means it was read in fits and spurts. It also means such a book must have a strong story to keep me engaged and not puzzling over what came before. Sayres well-researched book took me on a journey into an unfamiliar culture but with highly relatable characters -- the kind who draw you in and make you care what happens to them. Bravo!
Phoebe
Jul 15, 2013 Phoebe rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Karen, Deborah, Valerie
Picking up close to where the first book left off, Anahita and Arash prepare for their wedding. Then the unthinkable happens and Anahita and her grandmother are kidnapped from their camp. The grandmother is let go, but Anahita faces trials she could never have imagined. Her resourcefulness, faith in her family and friends, and strength will stand her in good stead. The book's pacing is nicely done, with plenty of suspense and action, and Sayres again has done her research and capably writes of t ...more
Jackie
May 27, 2014 Jackie rated it it was ok
Interesting plot, sparks of beautiful language, but lacking in development. It felt a little unfinished.
Kris Dinnison
Nov 21, 2015 Kris Dinnison rated it it was amazing
Night Letter is the sequel to Anahita's Woven Riddle. I won't say who she is going to marry, but this novel opens with Anahita traveling to her wedding. Unfortunately her caravan is attacked and Anahita is kidnapped. As her attackers escape with her, her future husband and her family give chase. But Anahita is determined to be her own rescuer. Sayres includes some interesting historical details and events, especially around the issues of slavery and the Sufi faith. An exciting read!

Kristin Rubalcava
Sep 06, 2013 Kristin Rubalcava rated it really liked it
3++ stars
Mariola Król
Mariola Król marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Bryn
Bryn rated it liked it
Jul 08, 2016
Jodi
Jodi marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Donna
Donna rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2016
Choong Jia Ying
Choong Jia Ying rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2016
Aditi ♥︎
Aditi ♥︎ marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2016
Yasmin
Yasmin is currently reading it
Mar 18, 2016
Faisal
Faisal marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2016
Jackie
Jackie added it
Jun 07, 2016
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Nemat Saraby
Nemat Saraby marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Claire
Claire marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2015
SuArabia
SuArabia marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2015
Livi
Livi marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2015
Ellie
Ellie marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2015
Deanna Michelle
Deanna Michelle marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Meghan Nuttall Sayres is a tapestry weaver and author living in Eastern Washington. Her books include a novel set in 19th century Iran, Anahita's Woven Riddle, an ALA Top Ten Best Books 2007 and a BookSense/Indie Pick 2007; Weaving Tapestry in Rural Ireland; and co-author of Daughters of the Desert: Tales of Remarkable Women From the Christian, Jewish and Muslim Traditions.

Meghan has visited scho
More about Meghan Nuttall Sayres...