Spit and Passion

Spit and Passion

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  144 ratings  ·  28 reviews

"Cristy C. Road is a bad ass. She has a list of published work that leaves me awed and inspired."—Billie Joe Armstrong, Green Day

"Road's writing has long brought to vivid life the experiences of a queer-identified Latina punk rocker."—Bitch magazine

At its core, Spit and Passion is about the transformative moment when music crashes into a stifling adolescent bedroom and sav...more
Published October 23rd 2012 by The Feminist Press at CUNY

To ask other readers questions about Spit and Passion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spit and Passion

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire SáenzSpit and Passion by Cristy C. RoadSBF Seeking by LaToya HankinsCrossroads by SkyySeasonal Velocities by Ryka Aoki
Queer PoC Books Published in 2012
2nd out of 30 books — 7 voters
Fun Home by Alison BechdelZami by Audre LordeWhy Be Happy When You Could Be Normal? by Jeanette WintersonShe Looks Just Like You by Amie Klempnauer MillerUnbearable Lightness by Portia de Rossi
Lesbian Memoirs
83rd out of 84 books — 24 voters

More lists with this book...

Craven
Originally run in Razorcake Fanzine:

If anything, Cristy Road is super prolific, to the point of being ubiquitous. Over the years, I’ve been both super annoyed by her work and genuinely impressed. I’ve gone from being bored shitless by her “went here/did this” stories of punk travel in her zine Green Zine, to totally immersed in writing she’s done on race and class. I’ve been completely irritated by trite drawings she’s done of open-mouthed punks in dumpsters shocking suited yuppies, to enamored...more
Christina G
I'm mostly familiar with Cristy C Road through her artwork, and I was happy to find that her writing is just as hard-hitting as her illustrations. She writes here about growing up queer in a Cuban Catholic household and finding solace in the music of Green Day.

She seems a lot more self-aware than I was as an adolescent, but some of it still felt very familiar. I don't really know anything about Green Day, but I do know what it's like to feel like a musician gets you when no one else does. Thank...more
Tony
I've always known Cristy Road to be a multidimensional artist, playing in bands, writing and publishing zines, and producing amazing artwork. I even commissioned her to do the cover of a one-issue zine I did years ago. However, other than knowing she's a bit of an icon in the queer punk community, and must be a big Green Day fan based on her nom de plume, I didn't really know anything about her. This short-but-striking memoir of her life at ages 11-13 chronicles not only her home and school life...more
Renata
I really dug the art and raw honesty of this queer coming of age memoir. The ending was a little abrupt, but I guess how do you really decide when to end your coming of age memoir?

I'm not super sure who the best audience for this is? Like, I think that probably queer teens would relate to the coming out narrative, BUT a lot of this is also very ingrained with coming of age in the early 90s--no internet, no way to experience the punk subculture except by seeing Green Day on MTV and then eventual...more
Ellen
Although a former avid comic book reader, I have trouble with graphic novels. This seemed a long repeatitious lament of the struggles of a middle school girl who knows she is gay and really wants to come out.
Spit and Passion is a blunt, grotesque, and in-your-face exploration of adolescence. This graphic novel is an autobiographical look at Road’s middle school years (mostly 6th and 7th grade) in which she discovers masturbation, questions her sexuality, and begins to form her own punk-queer identity with few role models. Torn between her emerging sexuality and her conservative Catholic Cuban-American culture, Cristy becomes obsessed with the band Green Day. She has a particular obsessive fondness f...more
Angel Gardner-Kocher
Road explains how Green Day saved her life as a closeted queer Latin@ teen. I have been a fan of Road's artwork for quite a while, so I was naturally drawn to the illustrations (no pun intended). The story itself isn't unique per se, but it's definitely a voice that needs to be heard. There are not enough punky queer stories about there. I also found Road's defense of Green Day, along with her interpretation of how queer and radical they were, quite amusing as a rabid fan of Green Day in my adol...more
Wonderful artwork in this graphic novel memoir by Cristy C. Road but OH SO MUCH TEENAGE ANGST!! For the love of God, please just cut your hair and get ON with your life! And what the heck was that ending?
Lauren Fulner
Heartfelt graphic novel memoirs have become my favorite genre, and when you throw in queers and punk rock as Cristy did you have a book that slays me perfectly.
ive loved her artwork for a long time. wasn't into the writing.
Bev
This graphic memoir is so doggedly honest in word and image that it completely took me back (kicking and screaming) to the weird, liminal frame of mind that I occupied between the ages of 11 and 13. I found it so intense I could only read it a few pages at a time. So worth it, though.

It's a memoir, but it's also one of the best things I've read about music in a long time. She's so unrestrainedly goofy, specific and insightful in exhuming this story about discovery and survival that it made me wa...more
Marj
While an empowering and inspiring tale of adolescence and struggling with one's identity, I found the whole thing super repetitive. Felt like I was reading the same paragraph again and again, just reworded every time in more flowery language. Also, maybe it's just me, but the artwork was too gritty and unappealing for my tastes.
Rachel
A coming of age story of a Cuban American girl who struggles with how to tell her family and friends about her emerging sexuality. She uses her discovery of Green Day in the early 1990s as a punk rock metaphor to explore the notion of different and accepted. A strong, emotional story. The font was distracting.
Daniela Capistrano
Cristy C. Road read excerpts from this graphic memoir on the POC Zine Project: 2012 Race Riot! Tour. She gave me an advanced copy and I gobbled it up in one day, despite having heard portions every day for two weeks straight. I've read it two more times since the tour and it continues to nourish my soul.
Ed
truth be told, a tiny bit scandalized by how much masturbation is going on here for a graphic novel most likely to appeal to teens. redeemed by a relatable story in which an awkward tomboyish latina finds belonging and the courage to embrace multiple identities through punk music.
bbbbbbrr
As might be expected, the art/drawings are fantastic. And, it's heartening to have a personal struggle with sexuality, culture and identity shared with the world. The writing isn't very good though, which can make it tedious at times.
Ben
Really glad I read this comic. I have seen Cristy Road in person and her performance was so great! While sometimes I couldn't keep track of all the people in the comic, or follow the narrative, it was incredible to see her raw, emotional journey through adolescence.
Ryan Mishap
The true life coming of age in the solitary confinement of one's own outsider brain. Much better written than her early zines (Greenzine) and recommended for a wide range of folks. I have, however, never been a fan of her art--no knocks, just not my favored style.
Ruth
I liked the drawings better than the writing. It got too wordy sometimes. I especially liked the Freddy Mercury frame: "my love for Freddy Mercury gave me wings...and together we existed in an imaginary vortex of the future."
Hannah
A haunting and angsty queer coming of age story. The illustrations are incredible-- repulsive and disturbing and emotional. Cristy C Road is clearly wicked smart, and this graphic novel is definitely worth your time.
Tessa
A large part of Road's memoir is about how Green Day helped save her psyche during adolescence, so when I just saw that Billie Joe Armstrong did the blurb on the front ("Cristy C. Road is a badass!"), it made me misty.
Dee
This started out compelling, and somewhere at its midpoint, devolved into a boring meditation on Green Day and their impact on the author's life. I had to put it down.
Daniel Levesque
I can't get enough of Cristy C Road's artwork and the incredibly juicy text that goes along with it. Hilarious, engaging and heartfelt, I adore this artist.
Emily
really good, i had no idea greenday was so good! excellent exploration of self/identity and allowing other people's hang ups to have control over you.
Naomi
The art is fantastic! The text, not so great; repetitive and a little insufferable.
Inge
I knew Billie Joe Armstrong would save us all.
Nate
Sad, beautiful, joyful, wonderful. Loved it.
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Becca Gonzalez
Becca Gonzalez marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
  • The End of San Francisco
  • Tango: My Childhood, Backwards and in High Heels
  • Nevada
  • Calling Dr. Laura: A Graphic Memoir
  • The Revolution Starts at Home: Confronting Intimate Violence Within Activist Communities
  • 7 Miles a Second
  • Cool for You
  • Persistence: All Ways Butch and Femme
  • Excluded: Making Feminist and Queer Movements More Inclusive
  • You'll Never Know, Vol. 1: A Good and Decent Man
Im a Cubanita from Miami, living in Brooklyn, and I'm more of an artist than a writer, or a guitarist. Ive never recieved formal writing/english instruction, and to top it off, Spanish is my first language. I have little interest in developing this knowledge. Im amidst working on a graphic novel- less text, more art, less anglicized language. My name was anglicized for the sake of identifying as a...more
More about Cristy C. Road...
Indestructible Bad Habits: A Love Story Distance Makes the Heart Grow Sick: A Book of Postcards Greenzine #14 Baby Remember My Name: An Anthology of New Queer Girl Writing