Start by marking “Spit and Passion” as Want to Read:
Spit and Passion

Spit and Passion

"Cristy C. Road is a bad ass. She has a list of published work that leaves me awed and inspired."—Billie Joe Armstrong, Green Day

"Road's writing has long brought to vivid life the experiences of a queer-identified Latina punk rocker."—Bitch magazine

At its core, Spit and Passion is about the transformative moment when music crashes into a stifling adolescent bedroom and sav
Published October 23rd 2012 by The Feminist Press at CUNY

To ask other readers questions about Spit and Passion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spit and Passion

C.E. G
I'm mostly familiar with Cristy C Road through her artwork, and I was happy to find that her writing is just as hard-hitting as her illustrations. She writes here about growing up queer in a Cuban Catholic household and finding solace in the music of Green Day.

She seems a lot more self-aware than I was as an adolescent, but some of it still felt very familiar. I don't really know anything about Green Day, but I do know what it's like to feel like a musician gets you when no one else does. Thank
Craven
Jul 08, 2013 Craven rated it really liked it
Originally run in Razorcake Fanzine:

If anything, Cristy Road is super prolific, to the point of being ubiquitous. Over the years, I’ve been both super annoyed by her work and genuinely impressed. I’ve gone from being bored shitless by her “went here/did this” stories of punk travel in her zine Green Zine, to totally immersed in writing she’s done on race and class. I’ve been completely irritated by trite drawings she’s done of open-mouthed punks in dumpsters shocking suited yuppies, to enamored
Renata
Mar 21, 2014 Renata rated it really liked it
I really dug the art and raw honesty of this queer coming of age memoir. The ending was a little abrupt, but I guess how do you really decide when to end your coming of age memoir?

I'm not super sure who the best audience for this is? Like, I think that probably queer teens would relate to the coming out narrative, BUT a lot of this is also very ingrained with coming of age in the early 90s--no internet, no way to experience the punk subculture except by seeing Green Day on MTV and then eventual
Spit and Passion is a blunt, grotesque, and in-your-face exploration of adolescence. This graphic novel is an autobiographical look at Road’s middle school years (mostly 6th and 7th grade) in which she discovers masturbation, questions her sexuality, and begins to form her own punk-queer identity with few role models. Torn between her emerging sexuality and her conservative Catholic Cuban-American culture, Cristy becomes obsessed with the band Green Day. She has a particular obsessive fondness f ...more
Ellen
Jul 30, 2013 Ellen rated it it was ok
Although a former avid comic book reader, I have trouble with graphic novels. This seemed a long repeatitious lament of the struggles of a middle school girl who knows she is gay and really wants to come out.
Pau
Dec 03, 2016 Pau rated it it was amazing
I read this all in one night. It's been a while since I found a relatable queer DFAB main character. Reminded me of my own teen angst and pains as a queer punk baby back in the day. We see Cristy's journey as a cuban american queer listening to green day, crushing on bald girls, figuring shit out. Essential read for any queer latinx who has ever felt alone or like they had to negotiate their queerness over latinidad. Also just love Road's artwork and font throughout the text, decorated with a Cr ...more
Monica
Jan 30, 2017 Monica rated it liked it
I'm torn between 3 and 4 stars on this one. I was born in 1982 as well, the same year as Cristy. So, it was cool to read about her experiences and remember some of the anxieties about that age. I, too, loved Green Day and Billie Joe Armstrong at that time...But it was overload in this book. I get how important they were to her life, but it got old fast. I wanted to read more about Cristy and less about Cristy's obsession with Green Day! The illustrations are unique and great. I'd love to read ab ...more
Knabacxo
Dec 21, 2016 Knabacxo rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book and I really plan on reading more books by this author! Although the environment I grew up in was pretty different from the one of the main character, I could really recognize a lot of the anxieties I also felt when I was a young teen. I really love the art, too, and all of its expressiveness.

I felt sometimes there was a bit too much text, though, like, big blocks of texts that kind of mess with the flow of the reading (with a font that is already a bit hard to read).
Tony
May 21, 2014 Tony rated it really liked it
I've always known Cristy Road to be a multidimensional artist, playing in bands, writing and publishing zines, and producing amazing artwork. I even commissioned her to do the cover of a one-issue zine I did years ago. However, other than knowing she's a bit of an icon in the queer punk community, and must be a big Green Day fan based on her nom de plume, I didn't really know anything about her. This short-but-striking memoir of her life at ages 11-13 chronicles not only her home and school life ...more
Jim
Jun 29, 2015 Jim rated it really liked it
To say that “Spit and Passion” is unlike any graphic narrative I’ve ever read would be a gross understatement. Cristy C. Road might very well have invented a unique genre with this book: the genderqueer Latina Bildungsroman (facilitated via punk pop—namely, Green Day) graphic narrative.

And it’s very good. And very frank. Her language is rather salty, and her images are sometimes quite…well, graphic. Road does not hold back one iota as she traces the myriad sources of anxiety that bedeviled her
Chloe
May 05, 2016 Chloe rated it really liked it
My friend Vanessa lent me her copy of this book and told me I had to read it. It's been sitting around on my bookshelf for months - I finally picked it up because the semester is ending and I needed to give the book back to my friend. I wasn't entirely sure I would like the book before I picked it up (I'm generally /drawn/ to things that are more aesthetically pleasing) but I ended up really, really liking it. I had never been a rebellious, punk, queer teenager (I was introverted and struggling ...more
Angel Gardner-Kocher
Road explains how Green Day saved her life as a closeted queer Latin@ teen. I have been a fan of Road's artwork for quite a while, so I was naturally drawn to the illustrations (no pun intended). The story itself isn't unique per se, but it's definitely a voice that needs to be heard. There are not enough punky queer stories about there. I also found Road's defense of Green Day, along with her interpretation of how queer and radical they were, quite amusing as a rabid fan of Green Day in my adol ...more
Beverly
Jun 08, 2013 Beverly rated it it was amazing
This graphic memoir is so doggedly honest in word and image that it completely took me back (kicking and screaming) to the weird, liminal frame of mind that I occupied between the ages of 11 and 13. I found it so intense I could only read it a few pages at a time. So worth it, though.

It's a memoir, but it's also one of the best things I've read about music in a long time. She's so unrestrainedly goofy, specific and insightful in exhuming this story about discovery and survival that it made me wa
Shawn Birss
Jun 16, 2015 Shawn Birss rated it it was amazing
Heart aching, heartbreaking, raw, real, beautiful and tragic all at once. I cried more than once.

I, like many, love Cristy Road's art and illustration, enough to commission her to illustrate a book cover for me. Though I'd read other books by her, I'd never taken special notice of her beautiful presentation of language. The two come together in this book that is so personal and vulnerable as to feel Cristy offering us her precious heart. I did not find this an easy read, at all. But I'm glad I
Katie
Jun 24, 2016 Katie rated it liked it
Shelves: glbt, graphic
Spit and Passion is a pretty standard queer coming of age memoir, with one twist - complete obsession with Green Day. Cristy C. Road is a couple of years younger than I am, but much of the music she discovered, and her personal discovery of queerness, punk rock, and a deep connection to music (though for me, not necessarily Green Day) was familiar and similar.
It was well written and well drawn, and definitely brought me back to the mid 90s.
Becky
Oct 29, 2016 Becky rated it did not like it
"It seemed like my favorite thing was to sit in Ms. Navarro's class and deconstruct the chronology of my gender identity." This is the kind of nonsense repeated over and over in this book. I expect a memoir to be reflective, to be mostly in the voice of the adult rather than the twelve-year-old it's about, but this book... it's like she's analyzed her adolescence so much that she's totally removed from it. I reads more like an overwritten essay with illustrations than a graphic memoir.
willowdog
Feb 05, 2016 willowdog rated it liked it
Chisty Road recounts her days in the gay "murder closet" of junior high where her only refuge is the band Green Day and their music in order to come to terms with her Cuban identity and her queerness. Don't we all measure time by the music we listen too and its restorative nature. The graphics are great.
Rachel
Mar 12, 2013 Rachel rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphicnovels, teen
A coming of age story of a Cuban American girl who struggles with how to tell her family and friends about her emerging sexuality. She uses her discovery of Green Day in the early 1990s as a punk rock metaphor to explore the notion of different and accepted. A strong, emotional story. The font was distracting.
Daniela Capistrano
Jan 02, 2013 Daniela Capistrano rated it it was amazing
Cristy C. Road read excerpts from this graphic memoir on the POC Zine Project: 2012 Race Riot! Tour. She gave me an advanced copy and I gobbled it up in one day, despite having heard portions every day for two weeks straight. I've read it two more times since the tour and it continues to nourish my soul.
Marj
Jul 19, 2013 Marj rated it it was ok
While an empowering and inspiring tale of adolescence and struggling with one's identity, I found the whole thing super repetitive. Felt like I was reading the same paragraph again and again, just reworded every time in more flowery language. Also, maybe it's just me, but the artwork was too gritty and unappealing for my tastes.
Wonderful artwork in this graphic novel memoir by Cristy C. Road but OH SO MUCH TEENAGE ANGST!! For the love of God, please just cut your hair and get ON with your life! And what the heck was that ending?
Shoshanna
Jul 10, 2013 Shoshanna rated it liked it
Really glad I read this comic. I have seen Cristy Road in person and her performance was so great! While sometimes I couldn't keep track of all the people in the comic, or follow the narrative, it was incredible to see her raw, emotional journey through adolescence.
P.
Feb 04, 2013 P. rated it liked it
A large part of Road's memoir is about how Green Day helped save her psyche during adolescence, so when I just saw that Billie Joe Armstrong did the blurb on the front ("Cristy C. Road is a badass!"), it made me misty.
Ryan Mishap
The true life coming of age in the solitary confinement of one's own outsider brain. Much better written than her early zines (Greenzine) and recommended for a wide range of folks. I have, however, never been a fan of her art--no knocks, just not my favored style.
Lauren
This book was everything. So beautifully drawn. Extremely relatable. If you are passionate about feminism,lgbtq identities, gender studies, coming of age stores, music used to heal, working against cultural and religious systematic intolerance, READ THIS BOOK!
b bb bbbb bbbbbbbb
As might be expected, the art/drawings are fantastic. And, it's heartening to have a personal struggle with sexuality, culture and identity shared with the world. The writing isn't very good though, which can make it tedious at times.
Ruth
Dec 30, 2012 Ruth rated it liked it
I liked the drawings better than the writing. It got too wordy sometimes. I especially liked the Freddy Mercury frame: "my love for Freddy Mercury gave me wings...and together we existed in an imaginary vortex of the future."
Hannah
Nov 22, 2013 Hannah rated it really liked it
A haunting and angsty queer coming of age story. The illustrations are incredible-- repulsive and disturbing and emotional. Cristy C Road is clearly wicked smart, and this graphic novel is definitely worth your time.
Ed
Nov 07, 2012 Ed rated it liked it
truth be told, a tiny bit scandalized by how much masturbation is going on here for a graphic novel most likely to appeal to teens. redeemed by a relatable story in which an awkward tomboyish latina finds belonging and the courage to embrace multiple identities through punk music.
Daniel Levesque
May 04, 2013 Daniel Levesque rated it it was amazing
I can't get enough of Cristy C Road's artwork and the incredibly juicy text that goes along with it. Hilarious, engaging and heartfelt, I adore this artist.
  • The End of San Francisco
  • How Poetry Saved My Life: A Hustler's Memoir
  • Naked in the Promised Land: A Memoir
  • Eating Fire: My Life as a Lesbian Avenger
  • QU33R
  • The Revolution Starts at Home: Confronting Intimate Violence Within Activist Communities
  • Cool for You
  • Woman Rebel: The Margaret Sanger Story
  • Body Geographic
  • The Complete Hothead Paisan: Homicidal Lesbian Terrorist
  • 7 Miles a Second
  • Kicked Out
  • Harley Loco: A Memoir of Hard Living, Hair, and Post-Punk, from the Middle East to the Lower East Side
Im a Cubanita from Miami, living in Brooklyn, and I'm more of an artist than a writer, or a guitarist. Ive never recieved formal writing/english instruction, and to top it off, Spanish is my first language. I have little interest in developing this knowledge. Im amidst working on a graphic novel- less text, more art, less anglicized language. My name was anglicized for the sake of identifying as a ...more
More about Cristy C. Road...