Start by marking “Animals Don't, So I Won't!” as Want to Read:
Animals Don't, So I Won't!

Animals Don't, So I Won't!

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  34 ratings  ·  11 reviews
“Dave Derrick has created a fantastic picture book that is entertaining, informative, and laugh out loud funny. When you add in his expertly drawn gestural illustrations, you have, simply, perfection.
I wish I had thought of this!” —Chris Van Dusen, illustrator of Kate DiCamillo’s Mercy Watson book series

Ben loved pretending he was an animal. But when his mom said, "clean u...more
Published October 23rd 2012 by Immedium (first published August 12th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Animals Don't, So I Won't!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Animals Don't, So I Won't!

babyhippoface
A patient and smart mom gets her defiant little boy to do all the things she needs him to do despite his constant arguing that he's not a boy, but an animal.

He doesn't want to eat his lasagna because...because he's not a boy, he's a penguin! Yeah! And penguins don't eat lasagna! Smiling at his own brilliance, he's not prepared for his mother to respond on a positive note: they'll have to start eating like penguins, then, so open up and let me regurgitate this fish for you, son. Completely gross...more
paula
This illustrator should draw and draw and draw - I am in awe of his loose and gestural line, done in watercolors and... pen and ink? ink and brush? Brush, I think, which by all accounts is harder to do but so much more expressive in the hands of an artist who's good at it. He draws animals with a lot of expression and with great regard for anatomy and muscle movement, he's terrific at expressions, and his colors are naturalistic and fun. Kind of a Stephen Kellogg kind of palette and a David Smal...more
Christine Turner
Dave Derrick has created a fantastic picture book that is entertaining, informative, and laugh out loud funny. When you add in his expertly drawn gestural illustrations, you have, simply, perfection. I wish I had thought of this!"

Ben loved pretending he was an animal. But when his mom said, "clean up for dinner," Ben claimed, "Animals don't, so I won't." However, he didn't expect two could play the same game! Next child and parent transform into penguins, leopards, bears, and more animals in a...more
Shelli
A patient knowledgeable mother deals with her creative and emotionally draining child better than any parent ever! Give the woman an award!! Even my daughter was name calling the youthful protagonist as we neared the conclusion. A super fun read to share with your difficult kiddo or a classroom full of them.
Amanda
This book would be a lot of fun for one-on-one sharing with your own "wild child". I love the varied font styles that illustrate who is speaking, and the front endpapers (although the story continues on the back endpapers, which is unfortunate when you're looking at a library copy). The wacky packaging of real information about the natural world could be younger sibling to the best parts of the Magic School Bus books.
Liz
Fun book... child becomes different animals to avoid what needs to be done getting ready for bed, but mom knows animal facts and stops him in his tracks. Interesting animal facts shared. Entertaining and informative! Enjoyed the illustrations, too.
Debbie Graham
Amazing pictures, refrain a bit repetitive but clever way of sneaking some science into a picture book. I agree with a reviewer below that the father is depicted in a sad way (letting mom do all the 'work' and interaction...topic for discussion?)
Paula
Benjamin is a young boy who pretends to become different animals to avoid cleaning his room and eating his dinner, so his mother must match his transformations and his wits"--Provided by pub.
Daryl Murphy
Pb33 - This book teaches kids about animals and it let's them use their imagination in pretending they are the animal.
Stephanie
Great for that stubborn young boy in your life.
Stephanie
Great for that stubborn young boy in your life.
Bbbbb
Bbbbb marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2014
Karen
Karen added it
Jan 19, 2014
Elizabeth S
Elizabeth S marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2013
Donna Sadd
Donna Sadd marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2013
I'm the Scariest Thing in the Jungle! Sid the Squid: and the Search for the Perfect Job African Diaries Scrambled Ink Play with your Food