EcoThrifty: Cheaper, Greener Choices for a Happier, Healthier Life

EcoThrifty: Cheaper, Greener Choices for a Happier, Healthier Life

3.31 of 5 stars 3.31  ·  rating details  ·  89 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without—our grandmothers knew the importance of responsible, thrifty choices. But somewhere along the way we lost our way and succumbed to the belief that we can get everything for next to nothing, have it shipped halfway around the world and then, more often than not, just throw it away.

This consumer binge is taking its toll. Diet...more
Published October 16th 2012 by New Society Publishers (first published September 11th 2012)

Michelle
I've been reading Deborah's blog since before she published her first book, so I can say that if she sounds preachy to some people, it's because she has the experience and the knowledge to preach about living an EcoThrifty life!

I've read a lot of green living books, and I usually put them down and think, "Well, that sounds great, but I could never do it", but this book is great for someone who wants to find a few simple ways to start incorporating a more environmentally concious worldview, but...more
Bookish Jen
With a financial situation that can only be described as “meh” and a desire to be a green as possible, I’m always looking for tips and ideas on how to save some money while also being earth-friendly. Some of the money saving tips I find are way too stringent, the kind you might find on the TLC show “Extreme Cheapskates.” No thanks. I refuse to dumpster dive for medication. And as for being green, there are times when I think the green movement has become too elitist or “yuppie,” like high-end gr...more
AnandaTashie
It's a 2 for me, but it could earn an extra star for people who don't have much experience with being "green" (?). I found the book to be kind of dry, occasionally preachy, and a tad iffy now and then (for example, suggesting people switch to kitchen oils for lube; though the verdict varies of the true health of that, there's also no mention of what it could do to condoms...).
Elizabeth
Inspiring! The author did a great job of stripping away all of my excuses of why I don't do more myself. Her convictions at the beginning, suggestions through the body, and encouragement at the end of the book were just what I needed to begin a plan for eco-improvement!
Diana Gotsch
In someways a confusing book. I'm not sure the Author ever decided who her target audience was. Sometimes the advice was so obvious that it was insulting to the person who was already experienced in trying to live a more thrifty and Eco friendly life. Open a window on cool nights to save on air conditioning for example. In other places she seemed to assume her reader already knew some complex art. She talked at length about the oils you could add to homemade soap to make them special without eve...more
Aimee
I think I've read pretty much all the eco-hints at this point. I'm a die-hard composter. I have switched almost all my cleaning products to eco-friendly ones. There are hardly any incandescent bulbs left in my lighting fixtures, and at this point I'm replacing the CFLs with LEDs. And on and on. Either I'm not hard-core enough to do it (like bringing my own metal flatware to a family picnic in order not to use a plastic fork), or it just isn't realistic for my life!
Samma
I felt like the author got a holier-than-thou attitude about her writing on the subject at hand. It's perfectly fine to want to be thrifty and to seek out a book --but, she made me glad I didn't pay for this one. Thank god for libraries (...which I don't think she even mentioned as a way to cut costs on books and magazines; instead heading straight for the internet...which may I remind you spendthrifts, is usually available at your local library along with many other wonderful opprotunities to s...more
Beth White
Had some good tips mostly read for the recipes!
Phase Reading
A concise guide to living a frugal "green" life. This book covers every aspect including personal hygiene and entertainment. There are some basic recipes, accounts from experience and gentle encouragement to at least give it a go.

I liked this book because it was inspiring and stimulating. My only complaint - it was written for American readers, in particular those in Chicago. The comprehensive bibliography section made up for that.

It's a small book, easily read and printed on 100% recycled paper...more
Megan
Well written but sadly nothing I haven't thought of or considered.
Jun 24, 2013 Sarah rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
This was a good general book for how to save money and think of the environment. I'd like to be more self-sustainable and this gave some good tips. It was so generalized, however, that it is hard to start any one thing without looking up further directions online. I did get some good ideas where to start, though, as some good rationalizations for why.
Leah
Jun 09, 2014 Leah added it
A couple of good ideas but mostly extreme. If I did half of what she does, I would never sleep. Also, she totally underdeveloped or seriously overlooked many topics.
Melanie
While she has some good ideas and the book covers many areas of modern life, her writing is preachy and her style is laborious. Could have used a brisk edit. Also many of the how-tos were very thin and I doubt anyone will successfully make recipes for food or household supplies from her vague directions
Amy
I only picked up a few tips from this book, but for someone just starting to get interested in eco-thrifty lifestyle this would be a great overview and get your creative juices flowing. Niemann does a good job giving the basics of living a eco-thrifty life with practical advice.
Meg Dean
Not good, not bad. There are some good ideas in here, but not everything is feasable for everyone. She is a bit preachy at times...come off a lot like those vegans who try to make you feel like a horrible person for eating a chesseburger. Such is though. It's not for everyone!
Jess
This was insightful, but some of it I don't one hundred percent agree with. Sometimes in life you do need the convenience of a disposable diaper and wipe. Although I would be open to clothe ones while at home, when you are on the move it is not so easy.
Megan
Good general advice for anyone who wants to become more self-sufficient. Many of the tips given was all stuff I have heard before and already practice but it was also a reminder that I am already pretty thrifty compared to the average North American.
Lisa
Great ideas for very gung ho environmentalists. Really makes you think about the environmental impact of *everything* you do and use.
Lorie
Some really good ideas, many of which I already do. A good book to browse now and then, not really one to read from front to back.
Nicole
Found a few new ideas, but most were ideas that I have seen discussed in other more in-depth "green living" books.
Gregory
Save the planet on the cheap.

A few good ideas. Got the book at the library so I already feel sanctimonious ;-)
Beth M.
good recommendations for reducing food waste and food costs.
Nicole
I didn't really feel like the book had much substance.
lisa
Mostly a lot of impractical advice for me.
Ksenija
Ksenija marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Reese Jimenez
Reese Jimenez is currently reading it
Jun 03, 2014
Jason
Jason added it
May 22, 2014
  • Making It: Radical Home Ec for a Post-Consumer World
  • Little House on a Small Planet: Simple Homes, Cozy Retreats, and Energy Efficient Possibilities
  • Less is More: Embracing Simplicity for a Healthy Planet, a Caring Economy and Lasting Happiness
  • Better Basics for the Home: Simple Solutions for Less Toxic Living
  • Houses of the Presidents: Childhood Homes, Family Dwellings, Private Escapes, and Grand Estates
  • Urban Homesteading: Heirloom Skills for Sustainable Living
  • The Great Turning: From Empire to Earth Community
  • Choosing Simplicity: Real People Finding Peace and Fulfillment in a Complex World
  • Simple Prosperity: Finding Real Wealth in a Sustainable Lifestyle
  • Easy Green Living: The Ultimate Guide to Simple, Eco-Friendly Choices for You and Your Home
  • Superfood Kitchen: Cooking with Nature's Most Amazing Foods
  • The Weekend Homesteader: A Twelve-Month Guide to Self-Sufficiency
  • The Renewable Energy Handbook: A Guide to Rural Independence, Off-Grid and Sustainable Living
  • The Moneyless Man: A Year Of Freeconomic Living
  • Paradise Lot: Two Plant Geeks, One-Tenth of an Acre, and the Making of an Edible Garden Oasis in the City
  • Hope Beneath Our Feet: Restoring Our Place in the Natural World
  • The Diet Dropout’s Guide to Natural Weight Loss: Find Your Easiest Path to Naturally Thin
  • Back to Basics: A Complete Guide to Traditional Skills
Deborah Niemann is a homesteader, writer, and self-sufficiency expert. In 2002, she relocated her family from the suburbs of Chicago to a 32 acre parcel on a creek "in the middle of nowhere". Together, they built their own home and began growing the majority of their own food. Sheep, pigs, cattle, goats, chickens, and turkeys supply meat, eggs and dairy products, while an organic garden and orchar...more
More about Deborah Niemann...
Homegrown and Handmade: A Practical Guide to More Self-Reliant Living Raising Goats Naturally: The Complete Guide to Milk, Meat and More