Start by marking “Earth and Air: Tales of Elemental Creatures” as Want to Read:
Earth and Air: Tales of Elemental Creatures

Earth and Air: Tales of Elemental Creatures (Tales of Elemental Spirits )

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  78 ratings  ·  17 reviews
In these collection, you will find stories that range from the mythic to contemporary fantasy to science fiction. You will find a troll, gryphons, a beloved dog, the Land of the Dead, an owl, a minotaur, and a very alien Cat. Earth and Air is the third and final book in a trilogy of shared collections connected by the four classical elements. It follows previous volumes Wa ...more
Published October 16th 2012 by Big Mouth House (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Earth and Air, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Earth and Air

Tami
I received Peter Dickinson's Earth and Air book via a goodreads giveaway.

I love collections of short stories because each tale is generally a quick read, easy to fit into a busy schedule. You get nice tasty bites of well written stories and putting a book down to sleep or chase after your toddler is easier if you aren't ripping yourself away from a gripping chapter.

The down side of a really well written collection of short fiction is that when a story is really well told moving onto the next s
Goldeen Ogawa
A mixed batch: writing of uniformly excellent quality, but some stories appealed to me much more than others. Extended thoughts on my Tumblr (spoilers for the final story).
Violinknitter
I've loved Dickinson and McKinley's short story collections WATER and FIRE, so I jumped at this book as soon as I saw it was out.

Dickinson's writing is masterful as ever. His re-imaginings of basic mythology and folklore elements such as trolls, witches' brooms, gryphons, and gods and goddesses are captivatingly fresh.

I rarely find myself feeling neutral about anything Dickinson writes: I either love it or hate it, and this collection is no different. However, it's a testament to the excellenc
Lindsay
Earth and Air is the third and final set of short stories that center around the four elements--water, fire, earth, and air. The first two sets were written by both Peter Dickinson and Robin McKinley, and the last was written by Peter Dickinson. These strange stories, part fantasy, Greek myth, and science fiction, are very well-written. However, I only enjoyed two of the six stories, Ridiki and Talaria. Ridiki is a story about a boy who has lost his dog and retrieves it from the underworld. Tala ...more
Kim Heimbuch
This book is the last one in the series, and all six of the stories in this book are based around Earth and Air elements. There is a story about a girl with troll blood in her family history. A dog that dies and goes to the underworld, a witch and a wizard, a slave and a gryphon, a boy and an owl, and some space travelers all make up other stories that will take your imagination on a very descriptive adventure. Sometimes the sentences are worded oddly, but it gives the stories their own special ...more
Olivia Friary
I really enjoyed Eva and Emma Tupper's Diary when I was younger, so I'm really looking forward to reading this one. I just won it in a First Reads give away!
This is an interesting collection of short stories taken from a variety of mythologies (Norse, Greek, etc) and one science fiction tale. My favorite story was the first, a woman rescuing her husband from a troll to whom she is distantly related.
Sara
The last story is really creepy...
Evelyn
Favorites were probably "Ridiki" and "The Fifth Element." Excellent writing. Some content not suitable for young readers. I want to write stories with the same sense of magic infused with everyday life, with the same solid narrative arcs. Descriptions of the mountains in "Ridiki" were amazing.
Polly
Fine stories, most of these, although the last story is not up to the rest. Some of these deal with fairly serious stuff, so I'm going to say it's adult or YA, not children's so much, although plenty of 10+ kids would be fine with it, I just don't think I'd recommend it to them.
Flora
This book is delicious. You can read one bite at a time. Savor each one for its beautiful vision. Each of the stories is a polished pearl. I enjoyed reading each one, enchanted by the imagination of the author.
Russeller
Received as a FirstReads giveaway. A fun collection of tales, though decently intense.
Tayler K
Nov 11, 2012 Tayler K marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Sad Robin didn't write any for this one, but of course I'll still read it.
Taylor
Interesting short stories about mythical creatures, not much substance though.
Jose Lopez
New modern twist on classical mythology. Loved that I learned about cultures.
Michelle
Interesting, mythological stories, made me think as I read it.
Mary Beth
Mary Beth marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Aerin
Aerin marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
Skr
Skr added it
Aug 14, 2015
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2015
Eoin
Eoin marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2015
Serena Ogawa
Serena Ogawa marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
Maris Mckay
Maris Mckay marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2015
Pamela
Pamela marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Crow Bait
Crow Bait marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
Crisco
Crisco added it
Jul 09, 2015
  • Fire: Tales of Elemental Spirits (Tales of Elemental Spirits, #2)
  • Cat in the Mirror
  • The Baby Merchant
  • Quatrain
  • Only Superhuman
  • Dark Cities Underground
  • Once Upon a Time: New Fairy Tales
  • The Ordinary
  • The Far West (Frontier Magic, #3)
  • Three Messages and a Warning: Contemporary Mexican Short Stories of the Fantastic
  • Love Letters of Great Women
  • The Genizah at the House of Shepher
  • Russian Fairy Tales
  • The Master of Misrule (The Game of Triumphs, #2)
  • Woods and Waters Wild (Collected Early Stories, book 3)
  • Swan's Braid and Other Tales of Terizan
  • The Witches' Kitchen
  • The Professor's Daughter
Peter Malcolm de Brissac Dickinson OBE FRSL (born 16 December 1927) is a prolific English author and poet, best known for children's books and detective stories.

Peter Dickinson lives in Hampshire with his second wife, author Robin McKinley. He has written more than fifty novels for adults and young readers. He has won both the Carnegie Medal and the Whitbread Children's Award twice, and his novel
More about Peter Dickinson...

Tales of Elemental Spirits (3 books)
  • Water: Tales of Elemental Spirits (Tales of Elemental Spirits, #1)
  • Fire: Tales of Elemental Spirits (Tales of Elemental Spirits, #2)
The Ropemaker (The Ropemaker, #1) Eva The Kin The Flight of Dragons A Bone From a Dry Sea