Start by marking “The Other Side of Town” as Want to Read:
The Other Side of Town

The Other Side of Town

3.32  ·  Rating Details  ·  187 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
Jon Agee at his best--goofy story, bravura pictures!

In the middle of busy New York City, a cabdriver picks up a tiny guy in a goofy suit who wants to go to the other side of town. The other side of town, it turns out, is not in Brooklyn or Queens. It’s a zany, pink-and-green world where things look very familiar but are completely different.

Now, it’s one thing to go there
Published November 1st 2012 by Michael di Capua Books

To ask other readers questions about The Other Side of Town, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Other Side of Town

Barbara
When a New York City cabdriver picks up a fare, little does he realize that the other side of town will take him to a place that is very familiar yet different from his usual journey. From the Finkon Tunnel, named after Gabe Finkon, to the Spankees baseball team instead of the Yankees, things are apparently awfully strange on the other side of town. When the cabbie finally gets home, he finds that his wife too knows something about the heretofore unknown place where he's been. It's a strange, im ...more
Heidi
Nov 30, 2012 Heidi rated it it was ok
Well, that was an odd one. I've enjoyed the other books by Agee that I've read. This one had its humor. But I'm not sure who I would recommend it to. Kids in or familiar with New York City, and perhaps surrounding areas, may get it. In some way the book felt like it dragged. And the ending was what I expected and kind of a let-down, though I could see a child get amusement from it.
Tasha
Jan 24, 2013 Tasha rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A New York taxi driver picks up a rather odd passenger who asks to be taken to Schmeeker Street on the other side of town. They reach a dead end, but that is not the other side of town yet. The man pulls out a remote control and the dead end opens into a tunnel, the Finkon Tunnel. The tunnel leads to a maze of ramps that twist and turn, ending in spotholes. The driver tries to avoid them, but accidentally drives into one of the large black holes from which they are dumped onto Schmeeker Street. ...more
Adam Schuch
Sep 18, 2015 Adam Schuch rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
This book was pretty entertaining and very creative. It started to seem a bit repetitive but that could be a good thing. It made good use of rhyming which could be beneficial for early readers. It contained some environmental print that made the story more interesting, newspaper headlines and things like that. Over all I didn't hate the book I'd probably read it to a classroom but I wouldn't keep it in the class library.
Dolly
Aug 11, 2014 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a humorous tale about a strange trip to the other side of town. The narrative is humorous and the illustrations are very colorful and cartoonish. We've been reading quite a few of Jon Agee's books recently and we like his illustrative style and bizarre sense of humor. We enjoyed reading this book together.
Wendy Darling
3.5 stars A charming story illustrated with a pleasantly washed watermelon palette. I like the bouncy voice, and I think it's kind of interesting to have a first-person narrative for a picture book.

Since this story is so reliant upon a reader's familiarity with New York for much of its humor, however, it may be one that is better suited as a gift for adult with affectionate ties to that city than for a child.

An advance copy was provided by the publisher for this review.
Meadow
Mar 10, 2015 Meadow rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
I like that kids can guess what word the main character is thinking of, but overall it was too repetitive for my liking. Also, the ending left me feeling a little...huh?
Bailey Carlson
Apr 15, 2013 Bailey Carlson rated it it was ok
The Other Side of Town was a funny book with an interesting twist on New York City. When a cab driver picks up a man who wants to go to the other side of town, he isn't exactly aware of what he is getting himself into, or how exactly he is going to get back home. With funny spins on things like the Yankees (Spankees) and Lincoln Tunnel (Finkon Tunnel) this book has a lot of humorous concepts in it. However, if the reader has little knowledge of New York City it may be difficult for them to under ...more
Debby Baumgartner
Agee's story about a New York City cab driver who picks up and unusual rider who wants to go to the other side of town. Thus begins an unusual trip for the cabbie.
Ms Threlkeld
Jun 07, 2015 Ms Threlkeld rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Very quirky/odd book. It helps if readers have background knowledge about NYC.
Brendan Howard
May 27, 2014 Brendan Howard rated it liked it
Shelves: read-to-zahara
Weird twists on New York places were lost on the 5-year-old.
Clarissa
Mar 08, 2014 Clarissa rated it liked it
Cute, but probably not as cute if you don't live in New York City.
Cosette
Dec 16, 2015 Cosette rated it it was amazing
Maybe it's the prequel to The Phantom Tollbooth...
Stephanie
Apr 22, 2015 Stephanie rated it really liked it
cute, quirky, fun
Misa
Mar 29, 2013 Misa rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-with-my-son
First of all, readers are taken to the other side to start reading this picture book as the title indicates it. The cover is on the other side!

Everything this strange green little passenger tells cab driver sounds twisted from real places. This picture book reminds me 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami. My 7 years old son enjoyed this book, but I think I enjoyed it more. It makes us think many possibilities after finis reading the book.
Arminzerella
A cab driver gives a strange man a ride to The Other Side of Town, where everything is just a bit different from what he's accustomed to. There's a little bit of suspense when he's not sure if he'll be able to get back home again, and a bit of a surprise when he does!

Ok, but a bit strange. I don't know that I'd have picked up a guy who looked like a...Mature teletubbie, if I'd been that cab driver.
Pam
Apr 14, 2013 Pam rated it liked it
I had a hard time rating this - 3? 4? A sometimes funny, sometimes strange book that even includes the title on the back of the book (the other side!). I did find myself laughing at parts but the point of the story is not really clear - just for entertainment and word play I guess! I can see children laughing at the word play and making up their own "other side of town" words.
Tracy
Dec 18, 2012 Tracy rated it really liked it
First impression... Is this man dressed up like a Christmas tree ornament? On the back cover the houses look short cones in pink and green. Second impression. Is the ISBN number really the sticker on the back? It is, but I couldn't find it printed anywhere else in the book. Lots of twists in this book.
Kim Patton
Sep 17, 2013 Kim Patton rated it it was ok
A New York City cab driver picks up someone from the other side of town. In order to take him home, he must encounter many things he hasn't heard of before--such as spotholes instead of potholes and use nog lights instead of fog lights.
Peacegal
Oct 26, 2012 Peacegal rated it liked it
A zany and unusual book that will be enjoyed most by tots going through the "silly words" phase.

Veg*n parents note: "Tweet loaf", an alternate-world version of meatloaf, is served. A poster depicting a circus lion tamer appears.
Rosa
Jan 15, 2013 Rosa rated it liked it
A funny story about a taxi cab driver who picks up a funny looking fella that needs to get to the Other Side of Town. Not 100% sure it's intended audience would get all the jokes though, especially if they weren't from NY.
Beverly
Jan 17, 2013 Beverly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
I am sure that those who live in New York City will appreciate this silly, funny adventure even more than those who don't. very large illustrations in Agee's signature comic style.
pati

I read this book twice to see if I could figure out the point, I am still mystified. I guess it will appeal to the very young. The art is cool however.
Shamar English-Smiley
This book was creeative and interesting. Children will love this book because it is humorous and different, but funny & intriguing. Sparks lots of imagination!
Marta-Kate
Jan 11, 2013 Marta-Kate rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Guaranteed to get the kids giggling with illustrations reminiscent of Dr. Seuss and the wacky way people do things on the Other Side of town.
Melissa
Might be a fun jumping-off point for elementary school students to write their own "other side of town" stories, using local landmarks.
Deborah
Apr 03, 2013 Deborah rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
a silly story about the "other side of town" from new york city. Would def make more sense to kids who were familiar with NYC landmarks.
Slytano
Feb 21, 2013 Slytano rated it liked it
This is not the best book by Jon Agee. BUT IT IS PRETTY GOOD. I like weird stuff and this has some mildly weird stuff. Yay.
Patricia Bandre
Jan 07, 2013 Patricia Bandre rated it liked it
Shelves: ncbla
Fun word play - students will enjoy reading how familiar words and phrases sound on the other side of town.
Ranea
Feb 13, 2013 Ranea rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Cute, quirky book about the mysterious and only slightly different "other side of town."
  • When Dads Don't Grow Up
  • Bailey at the Museum
  • I Don't Want to Be a Pea! (Hugo and Bella)
  • The Chicken Problem