The View From Here

The View From Here

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  207 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Set in a small Colorado mining town, Meyers' Kensington debut is an uplifting story of love and second chances that will hold strong appeal for fans of Kristin Hannah's novels.
Published November 27th 2012 by Kensington

To ask other readers questions about The View From Here, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The View From Here

SOS Aloha
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. – Edward Abbey

I began to read this book during an overnight “campout” on the USS Missouri. When the captain called for “lights out”, I pulled out my flashlight to continue reading. A VIEW FROM HERE has a quiet excitement about it. Maggie Carter is on the cusp of an adventure … or a disappointment … depending upon how she views it. Still shell shocked from...more
Karen
I must've tried to read five books before I stumbled across this gem. It started with a devoted wife packing up after her husband divorced her. She'd not only put off college at his request, but also motherhood. Just when she doesn't know which way to turn, she inherits a tiny cabin in Colorado from her estranged father. In hopes of learning more about the father that abandoned her, she goes there and inadvertently discovers herself. The inhabitants of the small town welcome and resent her all b...more
Katie Kinsey
I truly enjoyed this novel. It took me to a beautiful small mining town in Eureka, Colorado. It wasn't under the best of circumstances why Maggie left Texas, her husband Carter had left her for another! She had received a letter from Colorado stating the she was the soul heirs to her father estate in CO. She had never met him, he left when she was just a babe her mother had raised her. Around the same time of her divorce, her mother passing and the unexpected inheritance, she got a chance to tra...more
Nora-adrienne
I don't do this very often, but this book was my FIVE STAR ending to this year. I'll have to try and put my thoughts down about this amazing book later in the morning. It's 2:42 am here in Brooklyn.
I started reading this book at 8pm this evening.

FTC Full Disclosure: I received my copy of this book from the publisher, who only request I give it a fair and honest review.
Kimba
The View from Here takes place in the small town of Eureka, Colorado and shares with us Maggie’s story and those of some of the townsfolk. It is the debut novel of Cindy Meyers and it was absolutely delightful. I have to tell you I am very excited to have found this author and look forward to reading more of her work. With fleshed out characters, growth and small town drama this tale completely captivated me and had me longing to see the mountainside of this small mining town.

The tale begins whe...more
Julie Barrett
The View From Here by Cindy Myers
Maggie is relocating after she found her husband had cheated on her. Her father who she had never known left her a cabin in the Colorado mining town and she was heading to check it out.
Her best friend Barbara is a true friend as she's helped her and been there for her the whole time. What she discovers in the town is a small community where everybody knows everybody and their business, but a caring one.
The book also follows the antique shop/mayor when her daughte...more
Jackie
The pages of these books turn themselves as if this was a light book, there are really a great deal of hard issues being dealt with for newly divorced Maggie Stevens. First of all, she's had to sell her house, and she's out of a job since she worked for her husband's company. Then she receives legal papers that the father that had abandoned her as a baby had died and left his Colorado cabin and gold mine to her. She decides to start her new life by checking out the mystery of her father while sh...more
Rhonda
When life deals you misery and turmoil what better place to go to revive who you are and discover what you want to do with your life than a quaint, mountain and mining town called Eureka. Along the way you also find a great assortment of interesting characters, a friend or two and maybe even a new place to call home. I really loved the setting of this story from the mountain top home with the heavenly view to the town itself with a library, restaurant, thrift shop and a small community with its...more
Diana
What a wonderful surprise this book was. It was well written, smart & sweet. I think many woman of a certain age will identify with the protagonist, while younger women will identify with several other characters & men of all ages are well represented too. A great story for anyone looking to find "home".
Kathy
Maggie Carter inherits an old cabin and an abandonned gold mine from a father she never knew. As her life in Texas is falling apart (messy divorce), she travels to Eureaka, Colorado, to claim her inheritance. Book is full of entertainig quirky characters who help Maggie to find herself. Good read
Sandy
Cindy Myers captured the little girl who grows up without a father to a T! Maggie didn't know what to look for in a lifetime companion so she chose Carter. Then she obediently followed his whims until change came knocking from several directions. This is a good read though somewhat predictable.
diana
Wonderful book - a new author to read

Wonderful book - a new author to read

I liked this book. I didn't want to put it down. I would say she is in the same league as Robyn Carr, Debbie Macomber and Janet Dailey.
Michelle
I enjoyed the book. The main character, Maggie, is believable and the author spent time developing the characters instead of jumping into a romance. I look forward to getting to know the characters more in her future books.
Vanessa
I received an advanced copy of "The View From Here" to review, and I very much enjoyed reading it! Maggie and the rest of the characters of Eureka, CO were believable and a fun crowd to get to know. The descriptions of the town and especially the view from Maggie's father's cabin were excellent and made me feel as though I was there. The rest of story was great - I really enjoyed seeing the characters grow. The ending was hopefully ever after, which is one of my favorites! I would love to see a...more
Vikki
I chose The View From Here purely for the title and cover. Cindy Myers is more of a romance reader than I normally read. It was a good book. Maggie Stevens is recently divorced and visits Eureka, Colorado to explore inheriting a cabin and gold mine from her father that she never knew. She meets many interesting characters of this town and has many interesting experiences. It is a fun, easy read. It would be a good summer read. I would like to read Cindy Myers again. I am a bit confused by the s...more
Peggy
New author for me that I "meet" in my last book. Loved the town of Eureka and looking forward to more about them.
Cheryl Killingsworth
Really great novel. Different and adventure and wonderful location and characters. Could go on!
Cindy
Very sweet story that's a lot of fun to read. A good beach book.
Barbara Gard
good book
Peggy Sinden
Cindy Myers has written many books about love and families, with her specialty being romance and women's fiction. When Maggie came to the mountaintop in Colorado, that had attracted her father that she never know, she hoped it was an opportunity to start over and get the answers she so wanted to unravel. She hoped she'd make the right choises and find some of the happiness she'd missed in the early years of her life and first marriage that didn't work out. I think she did just that. A great read...more
Monica
Diclosure: I received this book free from readinggroupchoices.com and Kensington books. The book started out simply - man leaves woman, woman distraught, close friend gives advice, etc. But it doesn't take long for the story to get interesting. It had more substance than I initially thought it would. I am picky with my stars so maybe 3 1/2 for a novel that is a good beach read but isn't overloaded with depth. It had discussion questions in the back for book clubs. Good but not great.
Lila
Set in Eureka, Colorado...mentions Montrose and Lake City.
Moop
Great book about a woman, Maggie who inherited her Fathers property and mine in a remote part of Eureka, Colorado. She never met her father for he left when she was months old. She had just divorced when she went to CO to claim her inheritance. She discovered the town was very small but the people were great. She ends up falling in love and staying there working as a newspaper editor.
Nora
A wonderful summer read. Maggie relocates to Eureka, Colorado after she discovers that she inherits a house and gold mine from her father who abandoned her right after she was born. There Maggie recovers from a bitter divorce, makes new friends, discovers her true self and falls in love with Eureka.
Ellen
This was a good read - an easy read. The characters were believable and fun. It takes place in a small mining town in Colorado which made it relevant to me. The plot was strong enough to keep my interest and make me want to continue reading. It's a fairly quick read and I found it to be very enjoyable!
Marcia
Actual Rating: ***1/2
A recently divorced woman travels to Eureka, CO, to learn who her father really was. Through the views of the townspeople and a review of herself, Maggie learns both who he was and who she is. This, for me, is how the "coming of age" plot doesn't always have to be about youngsters.
Cat
An enjoyable novel. This takes place in a former mining town a couple of hours from the town I live in. I really enjoyed how she ties in some historical information from the area. The characters were interesting too. It was a fun, relaxed read.
Dena
who hasnt wanted to start over completely? Not saying I would want to live without a proper working toilet and have a bighorn sheep as a pet...just would be nice to step outside of the norm.
Vilo
This was a fun, comforting read with characters you just want to hang out with for as long as possible. Life can be turned upside down and sometimes that creates new opportunities.
Annes
Sometimes you just need to read a "feel good" book. This was one of those books. I enjoyed the story line and was happy that all worked out in the end.
  • Sunrise On Cedar Key
  • Blue Willow
  • The First Warm Evening of the Year: A Novel
  • Ice Fire: A Thriller (Jock Boucher #1)
  • Back of the House: The Secret Life of a Restaurant
  • Beach Colors
  • The Gilder
  • Sweet Laurel Falls (Hope's Crossing, #3)
  • A Place For Us
  • There Was an Old Woman: A Novel of Suspense
  • Jake (Wyoming Sky, #3)
  • The Final Note: A Novel
  • Winter Bloom
  • The Corpse Wore Tartan (A Liss MacCrimmon Mystery #4)
  • Blood and Magick (Deacon Chalk: Occult Bounty Hunter #3)
  • In Broken Places
  • The Daughter She Used To Be
  • Home Fires
Cindy Myers worked as a newspaper reporter, travel agent, and medical clinic manager before turning to writing full time. She’s written both historical and contemporary romance, as well as dozens of short stories and nonfiction articles. Former president of San Antonio Romance Authors, Cindy is a member of Romance Writers of America, Novelists Inc., and Rocky Mountain Fiction writers. She is in de...more
More about Cindy Myers...
The Mountain Between Us A Change in Altitude Above It All Secret Santa Dick Francis's bloodline ; The view from here ; A wanted man ; Miss Dreamsville (Reader's Digest Select Editions, Volume 3, 2013)