Start by marking “Apple” as Want to Read:
Apple

Apple

3.22 of 5 stars 3.22  ·  rating details  ·  156 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Apple follows the life of an apple throughout the year, demonstrating the cyclical patterns in nature. The youngest readers will delight in following the journey of the bright red apple—the only splash of color in the otherwise black-and-white illustrations—as it travels from tree, to harvest, to snack, to compost, and finally to sprout. A single word complements each illu...more
Published August 1st 2012 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about Apple, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Apple

Lisa Vegan
Interesting book. It’s almost as though it’s aimed at two different audiences. The main part of the book, in which each double page has an illustration (all pictures are in red, black & white) and a single word to go with it, seems aimed at kids just learning to read and kids just learning the meaning of the words, and then the one page of detailed information in the back, with its own 4 part (seasons) picture, gives information about the life cycle of an apple tree and information about com...more
Melissa
This is interesting--I'm not always a fan of Nikki McClure's work, but I found myself really responding to the art in this book. (And someone else said they disliked this book but loved other McClure titles!) I appreciated the author's notes at the back, which provided more context about apple trees and compost. Physcially the book is a joy as well, with an appealing square shape and nice thick matte pages.
Melody
I loved the part where the apple gets forgotten and turns into compost! I liked the stark 3 color layout, and the one-word-per-page style. I could see this working with a person who was not quite reading yet- one could look at the one word, writ large enough to trace the letters, and one could talk about the papercut facing, and flesh the story out as much or as little as required. Nicely done.
Elisabeth
I love this book! I love the simplicity, I love the boldness and starkness.

Lynn
The life cycle of an apple doesn’t get much simpler than this! Actually, the cycle is expanded to include the influence of humans who find the apple and ultimately put it into the compost, where it then becomes a new tree.
Sturdy pages hold bold block prints showing the apple’s journey from falling from the tree until a new tree sprouts. The text is on the left hand page, and each accompanying print on the right hand side. proving a nice pattern. The apple is in red, of course, and other objec...more
James Moore
I was shocked at how simple this book was, yet it really said a lot about the cycle of an apple, something I would never have thought about if I didn't stop and look through this book. I think this would be a good book for a young reader that is just starting to read and would honestly go well with teaching a life cycle in a classroom. It's a simple book, but it can spark volumes of how a life cycle goes about in the world. I would honestly use in this classroom for around kindergarten to 2nd gr...more
Tasha
Follow the life stages of an apple from the time it falls from the tree, ripe and red, to its return to the soil. Written in single words, the story is told primarily through the images that are done in exquisite cut paper. In each image, red is used solely to illuminate the apple with the rest of the image in black and white. This serves to not only highlight the apple as the focus, but also makes for a dynamic minimalist style.

The simplicity and minimalism really work here. It is a stunning bo...more
Rachel Goley
I just didn't love it. Maybe that's just because I have read so many amazing books.
Leah Wener-Fligner
The art--woodcut prints, I think--is so beautiful it hurt a little.
Mckinley
One word describes each illustration.
Miss Pippi the Librarian
McClure creates her illustrations from the art of paper cutting. The apple was drawn on black paper then cut out. The apple is the only splash of color in this book, but adds to the highlight of the topic.

The story is simple with a paper cut image on one side and a word on the other. I appreciated the words chosen because they are verbs whether it is taken as a quiet or loud version of the word. I think it depends on the reader.

Reviewed from a library copy.
The Library Lady
The cover is a lovely print and I would love an alphabet book filled with similar simple art.
Inside? Meh. It's sort of like Japanese block print art, and the characters look vaguely Asian in a way reminiscent of Kurt Wiese or Taro Yashima. But I don't see much kid appeal here--the combination of spare (one word per page)) text and stark prints is nice and artsy, but that's for the grownups. As, IMHO, are most of McClure's recent books......
Polly
4 stars for the lovely woodcuts, but as a picture book for children, 2 stars, as this is a pretty poor effort. I could hardly tell what was going on in some illustrations, and the one-word-per-page text is no help. Maybe you could read this with much older kids whom you were discussing composting and growth with anyway, but not for preschoolers, at least not in a group.
Iamaby En
-goes through the life cycle of an apple tree, has really interesting artwork (attractive red stark against black silhouettes)
-with one word pages, you would think this would be good for a toddler, but I think the images are sometimes a little too complex/detailed; it would be better if a parent went through the book with their toddler to explain things
Carissa
My son was staring at the pages with interest. The one-word explanation for each illustration left room for creative story embellishment. There's a part at the end that talks about apple trees and composting. At the very very end of the book the author/artist talks about how the book came into being, which I enjoy reading.
Kerri Stebbins
A gift for the cutest niece in all the land, on her second day of cake, fresh from the apple capitol of the world.

[Three stars for brilliantly beautiful wood cuts, as always.]
Bree
Notes:
super appealing cover, disappointing 'story'
one word per page showing life cycle of apple
wood-cut art is too abstract and hard to figure out
Danielle
This is a very confusing book that only has one word per two pages. The reader is supposed to get most of the story from the pictures but they are not clear and are a bit ugly. I do like it because it has an introduction about composting and nature but it could definitely be clearer.
Rebecca
In this simple book from self-taught papercut artist Nikki McClure, the story of one apple's year is told with one word per page. Filling in the story would be a great exercise to do with a child. Includes backmatter notes on "The life of an apple tree" and "Composting."
Samantha
The life of an apple is told in simplicity and black and white papercut illustrations highlighted with red. I wanted to be wowed by the story, but it was just okay for me. I appreciated the sections about the life of an apple tree and composting at the end.
Robin
I love the cover of this book! And the simple woodblock type illustrations are very eye-catching but the text is almost too simple for my taste. But most likely I will incorporate this into an apple-themed story time.
Nancy
Unique! I won this book on a different site, I entered for my daughter who is a preschool teacher. I thought it was beautifully done. It is apple week there and I'm sure the children will love it.
Linda
The story of an apple, simply told through single words and lovely woodcuts. A brief afterword with story of apples' growth and composting adds to this story.
Mindy
Nikki McClure is one of my favorite illustrators, and this is a lovely look at plants, composting, and seasons with her cut-paper illustrations. Excellent.
Janie
Aug 06, 2012 Janie rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: food
Almost no apples are actually propagated in this way. The illustrations are boring. (FTR, I am very fond or in awe of some other McClure work.)
Hajnal
The beautiful cut paper illustrations of this book go well with the single words on each page. Can you find the red in each illustration?
Morgan
I love the illustrations. Red is the only color - everything else is black and white so the apple really takes center stage.
Edna
One word on each page and using woodblock illustrations with only 3 colors explain the life cycle of an apple.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Simple black/white illustrations with hints of red and one word text on a page tells the life cycle of an apple.
Heidi
A journey of an apple. I was ok with the story. Preferred the use of color in the illustrations overall.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Nikki McClure of Olympia, Washington is known for her painstakingly intricate and beautiful paper cuts. Armed with an X-acto knife, she cuts out her images from a single sheet of paper and creates a bold language that translates the complex poetry of motherhood, nature, and activism into a simple and endearing picture.

Nikki McClure is a self-taught artist who has been making paper-cuts since 1996...more
More about Nikki McClure...
How to Be a Cat Mama, Is It Summer Yet? Collect Raindrops: The Seasons Gathered To Market, to Market Awake to Nap