Crazy Sexy Kitchen: 150 Plant-Empowered Recipes to Ignite a Mouthwatering Revolution

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  635 ratings  ·  46 reviews
The woman who made prevention hot is now making it delicious! Crazy Sexy Kitchen, the follow-up to Kris Carr’s New York Times bestseller Crazy Sexy Diet, is a

Veggie Manifesto for plant-empowered gourmands and novices alike, and it’s filled with inspiration, education, cooking tips, and over 150 nourishing, nosh-worthy recipes. Infused with her signature humor, style, and p...more
Published October 30th 2012 by Hay House (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Crazy Sexy Kitchen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crazy Sexy Kitchen

Kristin
This may be one of the most exciting vegan cookbooks I have seen recently. Crazy Sexy Kitchen by Kris Carr is jam packed with healthy living advice and delicious recipes for those trying to follow a plant-based-diet. There are several pages information for those just beginning to dive into the vegan lifestyle as well as those who have been avoiding meat for years. With a sound understanding of inflammation, gluten-intolerance issues, sugar,pH’s effect on the body, and raw foods, Crazy Sexy Kitch...more
Anna  Matsuyama
Almost half of this book is a basic nutrition info, how to store/prepare food and what are kitchen essentials.

Then there are recipes: Juices, Smoothies, Breaking the Fast, Soup and Stews, Sandwiches and Wraps, Sensual Starters, Symphonic Salads, Main Events, Sexy Sides, Dressings, Marinades, and Condiments, Snacks and Munchies, and Sweet Seduction.

Good for these who recently started cooking but these who are experienced chefs are going to find some interesting recipes too. (Maybe?)

I like that C...more
Megan Jones
Again, because this is a cookbook, I wouldn't necessarily consider it "read" as its a resource I will continue to refer to...well...forever I guess. It has enlightening health information - basically highlights from her previous book, as well as totally delicious, healthy recipes for all types of people - kids, novice cooks, raw foodies, experienced chefs, people in a hurry, gluten-free people, soy-free lovers, and more! With an easy-to-follow legend, it possible to find any type of recipe and s...more
E St
Most of the recipes here are either too elaborate, or too simple - there is no middle ground.

I think that most people can make basic smoothies, juices and something like an avocado sandwich without a recipe. I don't know to whom this book is catering to, the vegan crowd, the health nut crowd, something in the middle etc?

I don't know if the really hard core health crowd is into agave (processed fructose bomb, has much more fructose than HFCS), margarine (really?), canola oil, and wheat. On the o...more
Great vegan recipes without relying too heavily on soy. While I am admittedly too lazy to make a lot of these recipes I got some excellent ideas on new ways to eat vegetables. Worth checking out even if you eat meat. Very recommended.
Shannon
(provided via NetGalley)

I love a good vegan cookbook. Veganomicon set the bar high and all others come in somewhere below it, as far as I'm concerned. I'm not vegan but it seems like every new cookbook I buy or recipe I try is a vegan one. So when I saw this cookbook at NetGalley and got the opportunity to review it I jumped at the chance.

In general, I like this book. I like that we can hear the author's personality here, but not having read her last book (Crazy Sexy Diet) or seen the documentar...more
Erica Eastman
I received this book for free from Hay House to review as part of their Book Nook program. The opinions expressed are my own and reflect my honest judgment of the product.

Kris Carr’s Crazy Sexy Kitchen is a well-rounded cookbook that offers readers a good introduction into vegan cooking. There are many recipes as well as an introduction on healthy vegan ingredients, kitchen techniques and a Q&A section about the plant-based diet. Kris adopted this diet after being diagnosed with cancer and h...more
Laureen (Ms. Bibliophile)
Crazy Sexy Kitchen is a follow-up to some of Kris Karr's previous work, including the Crazy Sexy Diet, and the Crazy Sexy Cancer documentary. This book is, as the subtitle suggests, full of a meat free diet. And it's full of a bunch of interesting and fun recipes to try.

I accidentally read this book all in one sitting late at night. Yes, that's right, I read an entire cookbook accidentally. It wasn't the first time, and it probably won't be the last. Most of the time when I get a new cookbook I'...more
Darren
Crazy Sexy is the buzzword here. This reviewer might be a bit old but he doesn't necessarily associate crazy, sexy and kitchen in the same sentence! But that is the title of this book, a broad diet for a self-described "…Veggie Manifesto for plant-empowered gourmands and novices alike."

Now this reviewer does like his meat and where there is a choice meat can play an important roll. Often when one is out at a restaurant the vegetarian options just look so boring. Certainly after looking through t...more
Amadeus
This is a really great resource and cookbook for people trying and/or committing to a plant-based diet. There are several useful sections including ones on:

* the rationale for a plant-based diet
* food items to stock in your pantry
* kitchen know-how (i.e., cooking & baking techniques)
* knife skills 101
* menus combining recipes in the book

Kris Carr also seems to understand that living a plant-based diet is not always cheap and offers strategies to work around this. The recipes also have two d...more
Alex
The beginning part of this cookbook was why the author adopted a plant-based lifestyle, and I really enjoyed her story. Her peppy voice gets a little annoying after awhile, but the gorgeous pictures and layout of the book made up for it.

I copied down several delicious-sounding recipes, but I did find it funny that they were either ridiculously simple or ridiculously complicated. There was truly no in-between!
Leanne
Crazy Sexy Kitchen contains a wealth of information for everyday healthy cooking & living. I love the playful, conversational tone and the colorful infographics that help make sense out of the science that points toward how plants can improve our health (ie. optimize our pH levels, reduce inflammation, rev up our immune systems, etc).

I've cooked a dozen recipes already and they've all been really reliable and on point. There's a great balance of easy recipes that are approachable for new coo...more
Jillian
Kris Carr is extremely positive and smart. Her writing is concise, casual and friendly and she explains concepts in a clear way with science to back it up. I hate cooking but this book actually appealed to me as an inspirational way of looking at food.
Hrund
Mér finnst Kris Carr alveg frábær, er búin að lesa allar hinar bækurnar og því var það algjört must að kaupa kokkabókina líka. Er búin að gera smá úr henni (fékk hana bara í gær) - einhvern kaffismoothie sem var nokkuð góður. Góðar grænmetisuppskriftir, töluvert af raw uppskriftum líka. Ég keypti mér Kindle útgáfuna af því ég er svo óþolinmóð og mátti ekki vera að því að bíða. Býst við því að panta hana líka í pappírsformi seinna. Mér finnst vanta töluvert af myndum, vil helst hafa myndir af öll...more
Jo
This book makes so much sense. It's all about a way of life based around plants that can prevent and ease many cronic diseases. I would have given this 5 stars except some of the ingredients are hard to source. Maybe because I live in the UK. There are also quite a few recipes with bread which I don't eat as I am intolerant to gluten and don't much like the gluten free alternatives. There are recipes including gluten free wraps which I can't get here. Otherwise it is new and exciting and well wo...more
Skathi
I really don't like the "sexification" of the book and feel it has nothing to do with anything in this context, I do however love the recipies and know how! They are awesome and I've been using the book a lot and even several times a day. Once you learn some of the basic recipies you can get really creative with them. For example: I've been using the amazing cashew coconut cream recipie for tons of stuff, in chocolate pudding and chocolate truffles among other things. Really great.
Susan
Great intro to vegan cooking, some of the recipes are a bit simple (sliced tomato, really!) and some are so labor intensive you'd want to have all day to prepare food and do nothing else with your life but over all it's a good book. I'm not crazy about the writing style but that doesn't detract from the quality of the book, it's just a style preference. Great photography and I love that many of the recipes are collaborations from other Vegan Chefs.
Emily
Informative introduction that aims at everyone. Not too preachy. Amazing recipes that will keep you coming back.
Andrea Paterson
4 stars for the delicious sounding recipes for everything from juice and smoothies to main courses and dessert. 2 stars for the intro that glosses over nutritional information and discussion of other health related issues. To be fair, all that stuff is covered in Carr's other book, but I feel that if you didn't read that one you're going to get a poor overview if you just read the first chapters of this book.
Heather
At first "read", I put about 15 markers on pages of recipes I wanted to try. So far I have made 2 (I just finished reading it 4 days ago) and have loved them. I'll likely end up buying this one. It has a great beginning resource section. I especially appreciated the section on beans & grains, soaking & cooking times. I feel like I'm always having to look up something.
Lindsay
NetGalley ARC

Another Skinny Bitch kind of book to me. Eat produce. That's all you take away from it.

A heart warming story helps the beginning of this cookbook but the recipes are lack luster to me. Nothing new and inventive.

One star added though for the shakes and smoothies - the only thing useful I took away from this cookbook
Erin Plank
Probably a little early to review this since I haven't actually cooked anything yet from this book, but I am so excited to. The pictures are amazing and she does such a good job of explaining the CSD in the first part of the book. Great follow up to Crazy Sexy Diet. I love Kris Carr, she is awesome!
Dee L.
Many of the recipes were new to me and I look forward to trying them. However, the book is very gimmicky with the whole "crazy sexy" thing and is probably best suited for people who are unfamiliar with plant-based diets, since much of the book is taken up with discussions of nutrition, ingredients, etc.
Anita Griffin
I am a huge Kris Carr fan. Her writing style is fun, light and super informative. This book (to me) serves as a partner to Kris's last book; Crazy Sexy Diet. If you really want to get the most out of CSKitchen I'd really recommend reading CSDiet - which is also an excellent book.
Whitney
Kris Carr's story is a pretty good one, and her writing is really approachable to many different walks of life. The recipes are fantastic, especially her juices. If you're interested in a very focused plant-based cook book this is a great beginners book.
Anonymous
I wanted to like this book, but the recipes ranged from either too simple (smoothies? avocado on toast?) or too many ingredients (22!) or it was filled with nuts (not something I want in every dish).

It was a pretty book though.
Amy
Great cookbook. I love Kris Carr. My only regret is that I checked it out from the library and had to get it back in 2 weeks...which seemed too soon for me on this book!
Teri Temme
Great information. Recipes are a bit out of my league - I am more of a 4-ingredient follower. I did get some good ideas though. I highly recommend her books.
Dahlia R
Unfortunately the recipes did not appeal to me at all (way too many ingredients) and I returned the book. Did LOVE the book Crazy Sexy Diet though.
Kristin
Inspirational, informative, and a fun read. Her recipes are hearty, spicy, and easy to cook. I love her chili and chile rellenos recipes!
  • Forks Over Knives—The Cookbook: Over 300 Recipes for Plant-Based Eating All Through the Year
  • Wild About Greens: 125 Delicious Recipes from Hearty Soups & Stews to Succulent Sautes & Smoothies
  • Happy Herbivore Light & Lean: Over 150 Low-Calorie Recipes with Workout Plans for Looking and Feeling Great
  • The 30-Day Vegan Challenge: The Ultimate Guide to Eating Cleaner, Getting Leaner, and Living Compassionately
  • Artisan Vegan Cheese
  • The Great Vegan Bean Book
  • Chloe's Kitchen: 125 Easy, Delicious Recipes for Making the Food You Love the Vegan Way
  • Thrive Diet
  • Ani's Raw Food Essentials: Recipes and Techniques for Mastering the Art of Live Food
  • BabyCakes Covers the Classics: Gluten-Free Vegan Recipes from Donuts to Snickerdoodles
  • Betty Goes Vegan: Over 500 Classic Recipes for the Modern Family
  • The Urban Vegan: 250 Simple, Sumptuous Recipes from Street Cart Favorites to Haute Cuisine
  • Clean Start: Inspiring You to Eat Clean and Live Well with 100 New Clean Food Recipes
  • Home-Cooked Vegan Comfort Food: More Than 200 Belly-Filling, Lip-Smacking Recipes
  • Vegan Cooking for Carnivores: Over 125 Recipes So Tasty You Won't Miss the Meat
  • Student's Go Vegan Cookbook: Over 135 Quick, Easy, Cheap, and Tasty Vegan Recipes
  • The 30-Minute Vegan: Over 175 Quick, Delicious, and Healthy Recipes for Everyday Cooking
  • The Inspired Vegan: Seasonal Ingredients, Creative Recipes, Mouthwatering Menus
Kris Carr is a multi-week New York Times best-selling author, speaker and wellness activist. Kris is the subject and director of the documentary, Crazy Sexy Cancer, which aired on TLC and The Oprah Winfrey Network, and the author of the award-winning Crazy Sexy Cancer book series. Her latest books, Crazy Sexy Diet and Crazy Sexy Kitchen, will change the way you live, love and eat! Kris regularly l...more
More about Kris Carr...
Crazy Sexy Diet: Eat Your Veggies, Ignite Your Spark, and Live Like You Mean It! Crazy Sexy Cancer Tips Crazy Sexy Cancer Survivor: More Rebellion and Fire for Your Healing Journey Crazy Sexy Juices & Succulent Smoothies Crazy Sexy Manifesto