Start by marking “Hillbilly Heart” as Want to Read:
Hillbilly Heart

Hillbilly Heart

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  170 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Billy Ray Cyrus is an award-winning country music legend whose “Achy Breaky Heart” propelled his debut album, Some Gave All, to the top of the charts for a record-breaking seventeen weeks. He’s also father of Miley Cyrus, one of Hollywood’s most successful young stars, who grew up on stage and on screen, most famously as the lead on the Disney Channel’s “Hannah Montana,” w ...more
Published April 16th 2013 by New Harvest (first published October 9th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Hillbilly Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hillbilly Heart

Alain Burrese
When Billy Ray Cyrus hit it big in the early 90s, I was going to college on the GI Bill. I loved the song “Some Gave All” and still do. I also enjoyed other songs on his first album, and even if “Achy Breaky Heart” was over played, I still liked it. But since then, I really hadn't paid much attention to his career, other than to listen to “Some Gave All” now and then, and especially on Memorial Day. Obviously I knew of the Hanna Montana craze and had heard of his daughter Miley, but still didn't ...more
Keith
I didn't hate it--- but since I share some of his Appalachian roots, I really wanted to like it---and I didn't. This handsome and talented country singer from a small town in eastern Kentucky spends the first half of his memoir remembering and describing his early friends in great detail, mentioning most of their names, almost to the point that he seems to be asking their forgiveness for reaching the heights of celebrity that he describes in the second half of the book. He keeps pointing out tha ...more
Momma Frugal
Recently while at the library, I saw the book, Hillbilly Heart by Billy Ray Cyrus, in the new release section. We all know who he is, however, I was curious if his memoir was full of fluff or actual truth about his life.

After reading the book, I can honestly say that I was impressed with how truthful he was. It was refreshing to see someone not blame everyone else for the things that happened in their life. He was very candid about how his life involved drugs, alcohol, and many other things.

He
Shawn
I probably wouldn't have chosen this book to read normally but it was the only book that came up as a autobiography on Amazon Prime (you get to read a free Kindle book a month) and I wanted a book to read for a 1/2 hour or so before going to bed. I ended up staying up through the night to finish the book and really enjoyed it, so much so that I will look into his other books and will be checking out more of his music.

It was fun to hear the rest of the story about Billy Ray and his life. I was sh
Lori
Aug 10, 2013 Lori rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: memoir
I would give this an almost four. A pretty good memoir from the country singer actor Billy Ray Cyrus. I have not heard a lot of his music I know "Achy Breaky heart" and sampled a few more songs after reading his memoir. I am impressed with his honesty. He does not paint himself as "Mr.Perfect" owns up to mistakes he has made instead of giving excuses. His memoir is heartfelt just like his songs.
Many people may know he is the father of Miley Cyrus of Hannah Montana. and also acted on the same s
Николай
Well done, Billy Ray. Short, concise and sincere – the way it should be.

I've been a fan for some time and after reading this book I can say I'm walking away with a better understanding of Billy Ray Cyrus – the person. At the same time without feeling bogged by too much melodrama. He surely ain't no saint, but he has spirit. And that's what matters.

I especially love how he revolves the story around each the albums, sharing intimate details behind each of the key songs.

The second half of the bo
Melissa
This was an incredible easy read. His autobiography is very interesting. If you are a country fan, it is interesting to see how his career evolved and who helped him alon the way. He was very honest, maybe too honest sometimes. He is very open about his religious beliefs and how they factor into everything he does. I really enjoyed it.
Judy Stark
Billy Ray Cyrus is very honest and writes from the heart in this well written memoir of his life as a young boy, playing in bars and his rise to become a country star, actor and now writer. Whether you are a fan or not, you should read this book. Very moving and emotional.
Liz
Hillbilly Heart is written from the heart just as his songs are from the heart.
Susan Gast
I was the lucky recipient of the "First Reads" giveaway, here at Goodreads, and it's the first thing I've ever won in my life, but I'll try not to let that influence my review! ;-)

The only thing I know of BRC really is his debut album, "Some Gave All" which I have and still love - and the fact that he came to our tiny little town in the early '90s and I totally enjoyed his concert! Aside from that, I've never followed him, or his family, but I was intrigued when I saw his title on the Goodreads
Reita Jackson
As a country music fan and a tennessee native, I looked forward to this book. While the writing was adequate, I found the author to be unappealing. As a man who states he put high value on family, his behaviors suggest something less noble. His first marriage was a lark, and he never took it seriously...and cheated from the beginning. At one point he had two women pregnant at one time, and referrs to that as double trouble. He had to be coerced into marrying his second wife after she was pregnan ...more
Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
In his memoir, Billy Ray Cyrus talks about his life and his story, mostly in chronological order. He name drops, but only because a particular celebrity was a part of whatever experience or event he is talking about, not because he wanted to fill his book with celebrity names. He shares his belief that he was guided by the voices of God and others who had died before and who told him where to go and what to do. He is open about his faith, his flaws and his failures and he is also honest about ho ...more
Taylor
I'm not a huge Billy Ray Cyrus Fan so take this review with a grain of salt.

The book was okay. I thought that Billy Ray Cyrus could have been more open an honest about his life instead of feeding us only the information that fits into how he wants us to view him. Maybe if he had waited until he was older to write this book he would more easily be able to tell a more balanced view of his life.
Karen Wells
Enjoyable

The honesty and simplicity of this book made it enjoyable and touching. The realities of Eastern Kentucky were well explained...I should know I'm from there and knew exactly the places that were described and shared. Billy Ray put Flatwoods/Ashland on the map!
Brent Meyers
It was an enjoyable read but about a sad, sad story of someone who lives with many, many regrets, and promotes the regrets of the past. Now his daughter is following in his footsteps. I read the book because I really enjoyed the Doc series, but was disappointed that so much of it was just acting.
Patti
I don't know where i git this but it is a sample of this book and not the entire thing. I am not a fan of Billy Ray Cyrus (or his daughter Miley). When you think of the word hillbilly a pic of Billy Ray comes to mind. To me (and this is my opinion), Billy Ray seems like an uneducated hick and I just don't think the state of Kentucky should seen as a product of that. I just don't think anyone who acts that stupid (on tv and I'm pretty in person) should make money by being or acting that stupid. M ...more
Angel **Book Junkie**
I received this book as a Good Reads First Read.

I liked the memoir I really did. I love Billy Ray Cyrus and I liked his story. I think he is a true country man who tells life with some truth in it. Why did I only give it a 3 because I feel that if you are writing a memoir then you need to tell the whole story not half the story. There were several point in the book that he left out details. I know it is his story to tell and I am not sad that I read it I just feel if you want people to know what
Wendy
The book was good, insightful, and entertaining. I would have rated it a 3.5 if it were possible. What I didn't like was the way it jumped around...first he was 5, then 10 or 12, then 3 or 5 again. Once he got older it smoothed out and seemed more sequential for the most part. I liked that he heard voices from his past when he was troubled or trying to figure things out, and the way he and Tish didn't give up. It takes more of a man to do that than just walk away. No matter how old children get, ...more
Rhonda
Dec 07, 2013 Rhonda added it
I still have no idea how I finished this book. I was never a Billy Rae Cyrus fan, but after reading this book, I disliked him more than ever. I doubt that was his intention, but Hillbilly Heart was more about what was not said than what was. It is a typical sappy celebrity memoir that tries to portray the writer as having a reasonable side of the story, but Cyrus comes across as an unsavory character who attempts to hide behind religion, although his actions are anything but religious. I would n ...more
Lissa
This is a short, simple book written by a very famous man so I don't feel like I need to delve into too much detail in this review. He writes in a simple way, sort of like he sings, and includes a lot of his songs and their inspirations. While he doesn't sugarcoat his life, he does manage to put himself in the best possible light. That and the numerous accounts of the voices he hears were somewhat annoying but overall it was passably entertaining.

This was a Goodreads Firstreads Giveaway.
Josh
I will start off by saying that I received this book as part of the Goodreads First-reads giveaways. I wasn't sure how this book would be for me as I am not particularly a fan of Billy Ray Cyrus. I actually enjoyed the book. I especially connected with the last part of the book where he discusses his relationship with Miley and the other kids. I found the book to be paced well and written well. Nothing that would win a writing prize, but worth reading especially for fans of music.
Kim
I don't listen to country music, and though I've heard of BRC, I knew nothing about him except that he was Miley's father.
Early in the book I started to write him off as a delinquent, but ended up enjoying the book, and his story. He has some interesting experiences to share, and some thoughtful and caring perspectives on others. (Though like many people who seek celebrity, he can also be hurtful and selfish to those close to him.) A surprisingly enjoyable read.y
This book was an interesting autobiography of Billy Ray Cyrus especially with his possible divorce and daughter, Miley, being in the news. I was surprised at the religious nature of the book. I liked the story of his childhood in rural Kentucky, but was saddened by how crazy his family life became after Miley's Disney success. The book makes you feel like you would like to chat with him and is more impressive than his television interviews.
Jenn S.
While written simply, the book did not flow smoothly. It was an interesting read for any who might be curious about this well-known person. It seemed honest which is a huge plus. The name drops didn't feel like fluff or self-praise which is good. Overall it felt short and like a lot was left out.

I received this book through Goodreads First-Reads. Thank you for your generosity.
Bianca
I really liked this book, I learned some interesting things ab Billy Ray--and Miley Cyrus. Its too bad I felt he glossed over a few things (mentioned he has an older son but the older son is 8 months older than Miley, hmmm..) , vague mention of separation & reconciling w/ his wife but no mention why...I mean its his business & all, but why bother with a biography at all then?
Mary
this was an impulse library read. always loved the tv show Doc. I like billy ray but there is a disconnect between his wanting to spread God's light and his adultery, lies, drug use.
like father, like daughter - he was a pill in his youth. but I like his determination and his willingness to try new things and deep down in there he has some good values.
Sara Branmore
Quite an interesting view of a person's life who wanted to succeed (and did) -- just shows what you can achieve when you're determined... but he felt like it was more of a 'calling' than just plain old desire (for fame, money, etc.) and you know what? I just about believe him too!

Sue Newhouses
It was an interesting book to read. Billy Ray apparently hears voices telling him what to do and it seems to work out for him. Too bad he didn't listen when the voice said keep your kids out of Hollywood.
Darian Sawh
The book teaches you the reason why billy wrote all those songs. They all have a purpose and a meaning to them and the rough life he had before he became a superstar .
abby gold
Full of several gripping stories with a very strong, clear voice. An engrossing read. Strongly recommend, whether you're a fan of the Cyrus family or not.
A great book from a great man 1 4 Apr 15, 2013 03:47AM
  • Fatal Trust
  • The Amazing Story Of The Fabulous Medjool Date
  • Rita Moreno: A Memoir
  • Life Is a Gift: The Zen of Bennett
  • Uncle John's iFlush Swimming in Science Bathroom Reader for Kids Only!
  • Through the Door to Danger
  • Broken Strings
  • Part Swan, Part Goose: An Uncommon Memoir of Womanhood, Work, and Family
  • The Devil's Sanctuary
  • The Warriors (Michael Parson & Sophia Gold, #4)
Billy Ray Cyrus (born William Ramon Cyrus) is a Grammy Award-nominated American country music singer-songwriter and actor, best known for his #1 single, "Achy Breaky Heart" and "Ready, Set, Don't Go" Cyrus, a multi-platinum selling recording artist has scored a total of eight top-ten singles on the U.S. Billboard Hot Country Songs chart. His most successful album to date is the debut of, Some Gave ...more
More about Billy Ray Cyrus...
Hillbilly Heart The Other Side Songbook Billy Ray Cyrus - Some Gave All Billy Ray Cyrus - The Other Side Hillbilly Heart: A Memoir