Start by marking “Viewer Discretion Advised” as Want to Read:
Viewer Discretion Advised

Viewer Discretion Advised

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  39 ratings  ·  29 reviews
LIVE FROM MIAMI!

Viewer Discretion Advised features Charlene "Charley" Thomas - a smart, sassy, highly competitive thirtysomething television news executive producer. Charley's got maxed out credit cards and an office fridge stocked with vodka. Her boss, Jonathan Lefton, a.k.a "The Velvet Ax" is all about ratings, slash-and-burn newscasts - no matter who who gets hurt in t
Published April 29th 2012 (first published March 22nd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Viewer Discretion Advised, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Viewer Discretion Advised

Renee
OK I don't know who put this on my blog and I must find out & kiss some*** it was GREAT. I love it when I can read a book in a day, and hate it when I get so involved that I forget to make hi-lite and bookmarks. I did get a few quotes but it was so face paced that I was in my bubble and could not get out!Love one of the blurbs: VIEWER DISCRETION ADVISED is a modern day "Sex and the City" meets "Broadcast News." SO true.

This story is centered around Charlotte Thomas (Charley) who grew up on L
Laura Kay Bolin

The news has never been hotter or sexier than in Miami!

After losing her job in LA, Charlene "Charley" Thomas has found a new job and a new city. Working as the news director for WCAR in Miami, FL. She is working for the tough as nails Jonathon Lefton or better known as The Velvet Ax who is known for going after the ratings at any cost.

Charley barely has her feet on the ground in Miami and she is already throwing strippers out of the news room, dealing wit
Tracie Banister
Breaking News – This Book is a Must-Read!

News director Charley Thomas is a tough cookie who knows how to roll with the punches, so she doesn’t panic when she’s fired from her job in LA. She picks up stakes and her adorable pup, Princess, and relocates to Miami, where she gets a job at a station run by a mega-jerk called “The Velvet Ax.”

Charley has to hit the ground running at WCAR when she’s faced with everything from plane crashes to cat fights and boinking amongst the anchors. I love a book t
Pj Schott
SO YOU WANT A GLAMOUR JOB ... Cindy Roesel tells it like it is in "Viewer Discretion Advised." She gives us a sizzling insider's view of the local TV news biz with great characters, a marvelous sense of place, and plenty of romance and intrigue. Go behind the scenes and see what it's like on both sides of the camera. You'll never look at your local news programs the same way. And her heroine will have you humming "I get knocked down, and I get up again ...."
Jencey/
Friday, June 22, 2012Writer's Corner: Can You Remember? Blank Slate Kate Review and Give...
Writer's Corner: Can You Remember? Blank Slate Kate Review and Give...: Heather is givingaway three copies (ebooks).
Posted by Jencey Gortney at 10:52 AM 0 comments Email ThisBlogThis!Share to TwitterShare to Facebook
Wednesday, June 20, 2012Can You Remember? Blank Slate Kate Review and Giveaway
Heather graciously donated a copy of this book for Beach Read.
Synopsis:

Kate suddenly wakes up in a stranger's
Samantha Janning
Cindy Roesel is currently on tour with CLP Blog Tours and Viewer Discretion Advised. This might be a strange reading taste – but I absolutely love books that talk about TV shows, journalism, broadcasting, etc. Just an odd little niche, but I cannot pass up books with those topics being mentioned in the plot. This novel didn’t disappoint on that end – a lot of juicy stories being covered, a behind the scenes peek at the hustle and bustle of a newsroom – and of course – gossip, romance and plenty ...more
Susan (The Book Bag)
Whew! I need to catch my breath after reading this book. Viewer Discretion Advised is set in a television newsroom which I always imagine and assume is super crazy with deadlines and tons of activity everywhere. The author does a great job in capturing that feeling in this story. I found myself, not necessarily reading fast, but really feeling the craziness and stress that a newsroom would have. Cindy obviously knows what she is writing about.

This book really has it all - the newsroom stress, be
Jackie Bouchard
I enjoyed this story a lot. I know nothing about working in a newsroom, and this novel really gives you the sense that you are there. The author obviously knows the ins and outs of news production and it's fun to follow along as the news broadcasts are produced. In fact, that was my favorite thing about this book - the fact that much of the story focuses on Charley's work. We're there with her while she's managing the news anchors and other staff with their various personalities, handling her so ...more
Mari
Cindy Roesel delivers an insider's look into the fast paced world of television news in her debut novel, Viewer Discretion Advised.

At the start of the book, her main character, Charlene "Charley" Thomas, has just moved cross country to take a news director job at a Miami TV station. She has her work cut out for her, with a budget minded boss, a ratings crunch, and a cast of anchors and reporters who constantly drag their personal lives to work. The best scenes in the book show Charlene doing her
Meredith Schorr
3.5 Stars

When Emmy Award winning news producer Charley Thomas is laid off from her station in Los Angeles, she is quickly scooped up by WCAR in Miami. WCAR is ran by Jonathan "The Velvet Ax" Lefton, infamous for his ruthless methods and "ratings at any cost" mentality. Anxious for a steady paycheck and a chance to win another Emmy and excited to be in the same city as her best friend from childhood, Charley and her precious dog Princess leave Los Angeles for a new beginning.

It is obvious that t
Kathleen
Welcome to the world of broadcast news where anything and everything goes and Viewer Discretion (is) Advised!

When three time Emmy award winning news producer Charley Thomas is fired from the LA news station where she had worked at for the past three and a half years, she doesn't sweat the small stuff ... within two days she's offered the challenging position of news director at Miami's WCAR news station. She's up for learning from the best in the business, station manager Jonathan Lefton aka "Th
Aislynn (Stitch Read Cook)
Laid off from her job in LA, Charley takes a job across the country in Miami, Florida – also home to her BFF. Her new boss is known for being ruthless in the industry but willingly takes on the task and hopes that she can keep him happy (and stay employed!).

We have clashes of personality in the newsroom, divas, and the ins and outs of a fast paced newsroom all meshed together in one heck of a book. Charley jumps in head first hoping for a paycheck, but may end up with more then she expected.

I wa
Isabella
When Charlene (Charley) gets fired from her job and moves to Miami to work as a news director at a local television station, she’s up for the challenge. She soon realizes that her boss, Jonathan Lefton, will go to any extreme to get good ratings – no matter what. After nude pictures are found of a female coworker, that’s just the beginning of her problems. After meeting a very dirty cop who pulls her over, her life is turned upside down even more so! Risking ratings for her show, will Charley ri ...more
Meg - A Bookish Affair
In "Viewer Discretion Advised," Charley moves to Miami to become the news director of a news station that she really wants to see succeed. This book has a lot going on for it. It's a fairly light read with some really interesting characters (I really liked the characters but I wish that we got to learn a little bit more about them but more about that later). There's a good bit of romance and even a little bit of a mystery. This book is great for when you want a light but interesting read.

I reall
Laura Chapman
In Cindy Roesel's Viewer Discretion Advised, a news director makes a splashy debut in Miami, where high drama and action fills her life.

After losing her job at a TV station in Los Angeles, Charley Thomas takes a job in Miami hoping to add some spice to her life and to learn from the best in the industry. The best, who happens to be her new boss Jonathon Lefton. With his high demands and the always over-the-top on- and off-air talent, it does not take long before Charley feels the heat.

When one a
Carrie Ardoin
Charley Thomas is moving to Miami to take the news director job at WCAR, after being let go from her previous position. Everybody tells her she's crazy for wanting to work with Jonathan Lefton, AKA "The Velvet Axe."

As it turns out, Jonathan is far from the top of her worries. In between handling anchor hissy fits, technical difficulties, and a scandal involving one of her least favorite people, Charley is also being pursued by a cop with a questionable past. Soon her personal and professional l
Jim
Viewer Discretion Advised is a fun romp through "In Your Face" TV news. Emmy winning producer, Cindy Roesel, takes you behind-the-scenes in the newsroom, introducing you to a cast of characters straight off your TV sets.

Roesel, one of the innovators in the "If it bleeds, it leads" style, dishes out an almost too true to be real story that you know came straight from the real events. A combination of sex, ego and corporate "win at all costs" mentality, this novel shoves you right into the heart
Lisa (Lost in Literature)

Viewer Discretion Advised was a cute, quirky chick-lit story which I found quite enjoyable. The author has a background in television broadcasting, which you can definitely tell by the extent of knowledge she has on the subject. The descriptions throughout the book were quite vivid and precise, which made for a pretty interesting read.

I was a bit confused about the relationship Charley had with Oz. It seemed to be very casual, but at times I questioned that. I also found Charley a bit d
Libby Mercer
I want to work in a news room!

Well, sort of. From what I gathered by reading Viewer Discretion Advised, I'd be in for endless days jam-packed with action and adrenaline rushing all over the place. It sounds really exciting, although I fear I might crack under the pressure after a week or so. Luckily Charley Thomas is made of sturdier stuff than I am!

It was fascinating to be dropped into Charley's world (a world that I'm totally unfamiliar with) and to vicariously experience all the crises, triu
Chelle
I have to admit that when I began to read this book I was a little worried it would be strictly about working for a news station--which I know nothing about. My fears were quickly snuffed out when I got a few pages in. There was a romance where I cheered Charley on, a dirty cop who I just knew would be up to no good, and a boss who reminded me of plenty of bosses from my own past. Cindy Roesel is a talented, entertaining, and imaginative author. I loved this book and am crossing my fingers that ...more
Crystal
Viewer Discretion Advised is an exciting fast-paced read that has loads of sex, drama, and work stress all in one.
Cindy did an outstanding job with this book. Her personal experience in the field of journalism helped make this story come to life for me. The drama of the naked pictures of Miranda to the crazed policeman adds layers of excitement as you read further into the story. Her emotions and the way she describes everything with such detail makes me wonder if on some level any of this actua
Marilyn Brant
What a fast-paced and fun story with a heroine I just loved! Charley is wonderful -- smart, sexy, humorous and full of life. I wanted to just follow her around to see what she might do next! Loved the inside peek into the news industry, as well as some of the deeper issues the author addressed throughout the story. Cindy Roesel did a fabulous job with her debut novel. I hope we'll be able to look forward to another book from her soon!
Shirley Press
I thoroughly enjoyed reading "Viewer Discretion Advised." It was a fun, fast read. It was like watching a few episodes of the new HBO series "The Newsroom." This book could serve as a reference for the show. The book encompasses a fast-paced drama with many amusing scenes that I found myself chuckling especially with the various news cast characters like Miranda. I highly recommend it.
Angie
highly entertaining! I worked in television for years and the detail Cindy pays to the industry is spot on. I finished this book in a few days. The characters she's created make you want to keep reading. The storylines keep you on your toes. You don't except them to go the way they do. I highly recommend this book to someone who's looking for an entertaining, light read.
Kristin (Kritters Ramblings)
Check out the full review at Kritters Ramblings

A behind the scenes look at a news station in Miami, FL through the eyes of the news director, Charley. Charley is fired from her position in L.A. and decides to move to Miami, close to a friend and under a boss that is very well known in the industry, it seems like the perfect idea.
Deb Balzer
Great fun summer read for anyone who enjoys a fast-paced romantic comedy with some serious overtones. Author Cindy Roesel offers a sizzling dish of Miami excitement with her peek into a window into the crazy world of television news. As a former television producer, I found her scenes right on and totally enjoyed the read.
Mrs Mommy Booknerd http://mrsmommybooknerd.blogspot.com
Fun, sassy and real! Viewer Discretion Advised is about the cut throat world of broadcasting. With all the elements that make a great read: romance, gossip, drama, great dialogue and fun, quickly and, at times, confusing characters...this fast paced chick lit book with be a fun read!
Lizz