Start by marking “Normandy: A Graphic History of D-Day, The Allied Invasion of Hitler's Fortress Europe” as Want to Read:

3.51  ·  Rating Details  ·  96 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Normandy depicts the planning and execution of Operation Overlord in 96 full-color pages. The initial paratrooper assault is shown, as well as the storming of the five D-Day beaches: Utah, Omaha, Gold, Juno, and Sword. But the story does not end there. Once the Allies got ashore, they had to stay ashore. The Germans made every effort to push them back into the sea. This bo ...more
Published September 15th 2012 by Zenith Press (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Normandy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Normandy

The Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanOnward Towards Our Noble Deaths by Shigeru MizukiIt Was the War of the Trenches by Jacques TardiGoddamn This War! by Jacques TardiBarefoot Gen, Volume One by Keiji Nakazawa
War Comics
33rd out of 121 books — 19 voters
The Longest Day by Cornelius RyanD-Day, June 6, 1944 by Stephen E. AmbroseBand of Brothers by Stephen E. AmbrosePegasus Bridge by Stephen E. AmbroseD-Day by Antony Beevor
Books about D-Day
18th out of 46 books — 19 voters

More lists with this book...

Nicolo Yu
Jun 19, 2014 Nicolo Yu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comixology
This was the best graphic novel that Comixology gave away during their 20-day summer giveaway. Not only was it 100 pages for free, it was a good read.

The writer and artist, Wayne Vansant really took time to research this book. I could tell because it corresponded with what I've read in other World War II books. I guess one reason this book scored high marks from me was because I'm really into World War II material.

Still, read this book if you're into history, especially about World War II.
Dan
This was free on Comixology recently and I thought it sounded like it was worth a read. It tells the story from the D-Day landing to liberation of Paris in a graphic format. It is not really what I would class as a graphic novel but it is more that than a normal book. Whilst the illustrations are good they serve as little more than something to catch the eye and give out no real information. Everything good here comes from the text.

Whilst I knew a little about D-Day I knew virtually nothing abou
Luke Burrage
Jun 18, 2014 Luke Burrage rated it did not like it
Free comic!

Except it's not a comic. It's certainly not a graphic novel. Instead it's a very dry and not very remarkable account of a very well-known story.

Then, once the text is arranged on each page in very plain and boring block, very plain illustrations are added. These illustrations are usually one of three distinct types:

1. wide view of action
2. closeup of soldier's head with action in the background
3. closeup of soldier's head with no action in the background (featuring likeness of actual
Jim
Feb 04, 2013 Jim rated it really liked it
This was the first nonfiction "graphic novel" I've read and I enjoyed it a great deal. I think the history is good and well written. The graphics are also excellent and entertaining. There are a small number of criticisms, like on page 75 the author states that we "had our tank aces too" and mentions Sgt Lafayette Pool of the 3rd Armored Division, but doesn't say what made him a "tank ace." At the same time, however, the book actually mentioned some things I did not know about the Normandy Campa ...more
Celestia
Mar 04, 2015 Celestia rated it it was amazing
From my 10 year old boy:

I like this book because it talked about D-day and it's detailed. It talks about after D-day when the Allies started fighting their way to Paris. It talks about before D-day when the British and Americans sent planes to take a few villages and sabotage supply lines and blow up railroad tracks in German-occupied France.

I like this quote at the front of the book from Winston Churchill.
It was given in a railroad speech in Nazi-occupied France:
"Good night then. Sleep to gath
Jan 12, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it
While the story is not new, I really enjoyed reading it in the graphic novel format. Historical fiction can tend to be dry for my tastes, so I enjoyed being able to breeze through Normandy without feeling bored. This would have been such a great idea when I was in high school learning about this time in our world's history. I am happy I won this book through Goodreads!
Sean Evans
Jun 28, 2015 Sean Evans rated it it was ok
Shelves: library
While this was an interesting introduction to the sorry of the invasion of Normandy, in many ways it failed for me. It was much too dry and detached to draw in someone unfamiliar with the history, but at the same time too chopped up and light on detail to be of interest to someone already knowledgeable about this event. The writing felt strained and the illustration style began to feel repetitive by the end. The layout was simply a block of text, with an illustration, followed by another of the ...more
Justin
Jun 05, 2016 Justin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: war, ebook
Detailing the events from the planning of Operation Overlord to the liberation of Paris, I received this book from Comixology for free maybe two years ago, and it seemed appropriate to read it now.

More an illustrated primer than a graphic novel, this is a rather shallow, surface telling of the history of D-Day. Little here is enlightening or remarkable for those who have read other, better sources. The illustrations themselves are merely utilitarian and lack little in the way of 'art.' Vansant u
Educator
Nov 29, 2015 Educator rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one
Recommended to Educator by: No one and I regret to have bought it.
Erik
I am a huge fan on Vansant's work - I have read Vietnam, The Hammer and the Anvil, and Katusha (only released in eBook). Overall he has a great sense of storytelling and historical accuracy that make his work the best kind of history - it is deeply narrative and has a nice line going straight through the story.

Normandy is a history of the first two months of the Normandy campaign beginning with the moments before D-Day leading up until the liberation of Paris in August, 1944. Vansant captures in
Steven Raszewski
Apr 03, 2014 Steven Raszewski rated it really liked it
Very good and good art work. I was really surprised by the historical accuracy. Guess comic book men can know their history.
Bob
May 25, 2015 Bob rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic, war, history
An outline of the D-Day invasion, shown with enough detail to explain this fairly completely.
Melody
Nov 07, 2012 Melody rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
**I received a free copy of this book through Goodreads First Reads. I was not required to post a review and the opinions expressed are my own.**

I loved this book! This was the first graphic novel I've ever read and I was hooked from the beginning. The book was divided into easy to follow chapters which packed a lot of information about the Normandy Invasion without sounding dull and "text-bookish." This book's format is a great way to get people interested in history who might not otherwise do
Jason Neuman
Feb 06, 2015 Jason Neuman rated it it was ok
It reads like "a child's first WWII book"
Hans
Nov 06, 2013 Hans rated it really liked it
This is how I would teach history if I was a Middle School History teacher. I would use illustrated Graphic Novels to introduce different historical events. Sometimes it is hard to remember all the different names and places and putting it into a story context with good illustrations not only makes it more memorable but makes it intriguing as well hopefully sparking a desire for the student to research and read more on their own.
TJ
Jun 28, 2014 TJ rated it liked it
Shelves: graphicnovels
Interesting graphic novel that shows how sanitized our celebrations and stories about DDay have become.
Ben Vogel
Apr 04, 2016 Ben Vogel rated it really liked it
Reminded me of the old Classics Illustrated in terms of offering something far more than just a comic book. Lots of information and detail from the Normandy invasion to the retaking of Paris. Read with Orrin in 2016.
Sonic
Apr 28, 2013 Sonic rated it liked it
While this is not a graphic novel, but rather a heavily illustrated summary of the D-Day invasion of Normandy, ... I enjoyed it.

And even though this was written and illustrated by the same men, I think this may be the best example of what a graphic novel ISN'T. You cannot just slap words and pictures together, in my opinion.
That said, this was an interesting and informative read.
Patrick
Nov 19, 2014 Patrick rated it really liked it
Seemed like there were a couple of typos. Does a decent job setting up both sides.
Xavier
Sep 15, 2014 Xavier rated it really liked it
Siempre me ha atraído todo tipo de literatura relacionada a este período histórico.
Matthew
Nov 05, 2012 Matthew rated it it was amazing
This is a tremendous graphic history of D-Day to the Liberation of Paris. This graphic history should be in every High School Modern American History class as a part of the required reading.
Heidi Rikard
Aug 03, 2013 Heidi Rikard rated it liked it
I liked this book. I learned quite a few facts about the D-day invasion of France. I think it offers a nice balance of information and illustrations that will keep reluctant readers hooked.
Robin
Dec 28, 2012 Robin rated it really liked it
A bit too brief for me. But it was a nice read.
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2016
Jon Crowson
Jon Crowson marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Angelia
Angelia marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2016
Allie
Allie marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2016
Shelly
Shelly marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2016
Alexander Emslie
Alexander Emslie marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2016
Carletto
Carletto marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2016
  • Deliver Us From Darkness: The Untold Story of Third Battalion 506 Parachute Infantry Regiment during Market Garden (General Military)
  • Hell Hawks!: The Untold Story of the American Fliers Who Savaged Hitler's Wehrmacht
  • Hitler's First Victims: The Beginning of the Holocaust and One Man's Fight to End It
  • Home Front Girl: A Diary of Love, Literature, and Growing Up in Wartime America
  • Hitler's Pre-Emptive War: The Battle for Norway, 1940
  • "Bismarck": A Minute-by-minute Account of the Final Hours of Germany's Greatest Battleship
  • How We Lived Then: A History of Everyday Life During the Second World War
  • War Stories, Volume 2
  • The Shetland Bus: A WWII Epic of Escape, Survival and Adventure
  • Trinity: A Graphic History of the First Atomic Bomb
  • The General: Charles De Gaulle And The France He Saved
  • Between Giants: The Battle for the Baltics in World War II
  • Heinrich Himmler: The Sinister Life of the Head of the SS and Gestapo
  • The Star of Africa: The Story of Hans Marseille, the Rogue Luftwaffe Ace Who Dominated the WWII Skies
  • Worlds Torn Asunder: a Holocaust Survivor's Memoir of Hope
  • Wolf Hook
  • T-Minus: The Race to the Moon
  • Last of the Few: The Battle of Britain in the Words of the Pilots Who Won It
I was born and raised near Atlanta, GA, and served in the U.S. Navy during the Vietnam War. I graduated from the Atlanta College of Art in 1975 and have had many jobs, including being a salesman, security guard, milk delivery man, and the Director of Security for a large art museum.

I began my writing and illustration career in 1986 with Marvel Comics' "Savage Tales" and "The 'Nam." Since then I
More about Wayne Vansant...