Start by marking “Rick Steves' England 2013” as Want to Read:
Rick Steves' England 2013

Rick Steves' England 2013

You can count on Rick Steves to tell you what you really need to know when traveling in England.

In this guide, you’ll find a mix of splendid cities, ever-so-quaint villages, historic ports, and seaside resorts. Visit the manors, museums, cathedrals, and castles that preserve England’s history. Explore the scenic bays of Cornwall, hike the wild moors of Dartmoor, and discov
Published October 2nd 2012 by Avalon Travel Publishing (first published April 11th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Rick Steves' England 2013, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rick Steves' England 2013

Hannah
Aug 25, 2013 Hannah rated it it was amazing
Awesome...totally helped plan my trip, love the way he did everything1
Erik
Sep 04, 2010 Erik rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For the hottest spots in England, this is a great guidebook. But if you’re thinking Wales, just to the west of the Marches, then you’d better grab his Great Britain guidebook instead. (Which would also include Scotland, if you’re planning on venturing north past the remains of Hadrian’s Wall.) However, there were two minor drawbacks that I discovered when using this 2010 guide. First, the bike rental place listed in the Wells section no longer is in business as of August 2010 (and the local TI ...more
Elizabeth
Aug 25, 2013 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like Rick Steves' approach to travelling. I intend to try to use his tip on asking a bus tour company to drop us off in the Cotswolds from Bath as part of the tour. And the idea of going from Heathrow to Bath as our first stop, rather than to London, sounds like a good idea, a better way to handle jet lag. Also, it's good to have someone's opinion on places to go and places to skip.

However, as another reviewer said, this book leaves out some parts of England. Perhaps this is another way he's
Hayley
Aug 24, 2011 Hayley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really great book on getting yourself acquinted with parts of England and London so you won't be so lost when you get there. There are some places I'm adding to my to do list after reading this book but I only gave it 4 stars because I felt the author was very biased about some of the places to see. One in particular is Dover. I really want to go there but Rick Steves didn't talk highly about it at all. Now I'm not sure whether to go there or not. I think he should be more neutral in his reviews ...more
Anna
Aug 24, 2011 Anna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This man is my travel guru. Point final. I used this book extensively while planning and travelling my first ever trip to England, and he never steared me wrong. He was excellent at showing good places to eat, the best places to see the sights, and the best places to stay...and how to do it all without spending a fortune, something otherwise difficult to do over in jolly ole' England. If I hadn't had Rick...I don't know what I would have done. I highly HIGHLY recommend any of his books for those ...more
Carol Billings
Apr 22, 2016 Carol Billings rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favorite travel guides are Rick Steves. For practical advice they are THE BEST. The lack of color photos is disappointing, which is why it is not 5-star, but there are other books (such as the Eyewitness guides) if you want a souvenir with color.

The maps provided are simple line drawings but practical.

For my "go to" guide, I only go to Rick Steves. As well as practical and up-to-date, the book is very entertaining to read.
Carrie
Aug 25, 2013 Carrie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I normally prefer the Rick Steves guidebooks, but this one had patchy coverage of England, which is surprising given its length. It was missing several places that I was considering going to, which means I'm going to have to supplement with the Frommer's guidebook.

There was also a lot of redundant content, summarizing things that had already been covered shortly after they'd been covered in not much more detail. And the Kindle version is woefully out of order.
Rebecca
Oct 04, 2009 Rebecca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rick Steves' travel guides are the best of the best--full of history, helpful route plans, and tips for budget-friendly adventurers. This guide practically MADE my trip to England and lacked nothing except perhaps an extensive look at British night-life (Rick, though a passionate traveler, is clearly a bit of an early-to-bed square). I recommend this guide to anyone with 3+ days to spend in England. I will be reading Rick Steves' prior to all my future European travels.
Jane Campbell
Aug 25, 2013 Jane Campbell rated it really liked it
As always, a good read with excellent recommendations. It missed out on two areas we visited:Wales (South) and Kent in the southeast. These travel guides are our first go to ones for sensible and fun suggestions. For a balance I like to read others such so that I have some different perspectives.
DearMYRTLE
Aug 24, 2011 DearMYRTLE rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Studying Rick's books helped me with the trip to Germany, Austria & France, so I am sure his England book will help me prepare for my brief :before & after the Baltic Sea cruise" visit to England. I haven't made my plane reservations and won't until I decide how much time I really can afford to spend in England.

Wish he could figure out how to add more travel days in a week.
Christina
The writing in Rick Steves' guides is always engaging. Unfortunately, I didn't gain as many "off the beaten path" suggestions from Steves' England guide as I did from his Paris guide, which introduced me to a new Parisian neighborhood and helped me identify a bus rout that went to all major sites.
Byron
Aug 12, 2009 Byron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel-guides
Not as detailed as Fodors, but a good overview of the country with practical travel suggestions and Rick's reliable choices of sights. Probably best suitedfor a first time visit, but it proved very useful on our fourth and fifth trip to the UK.
Jill
Jun 08, 2011 Jill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rick Steve's has everything you need to know. I suggest buying his book and taking it along with you on your trip. Most details are accurate, and his tours are as good as any audio tour you could take. I was thankful to have this little book guide me through England's sights, food, and history.
Kimberly
Jul 25, 2014 Kimberly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Crazy helpful when planning a trip to London... I took all of his maps and made copies to stick in my pocket as we went from place to place. So easy to read and use, and there was no need to use any other guide but this one.
Rashaan
Aug 07, 2011 Rashaan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
For the first time, Steves disappoints. He barely covers any useful info on South England. We'll have to see how this number stands up for future treks in Cornwall and Northern England. I'll stick to Steves but with wariness now.
Joey/katie
Rick Steves is always great for finding the interesting spots of where you are visiting but when it comes to outside the most visited places, you will need a more extensive book.
Laura rated it really liked it
May 09, 2015
Cynthia
Cynthia rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2016
Zoe
Zoe rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2010
Alex
Alex rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2016
Cynthia Hoskin
Cynthia Hoskin rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2014
kanav
kanav rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2016
Boris
Boris rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2009
Peter
Peter rated it it was amazing
Oct 09, 2012
Carolfoasia
Carolfoasia rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2016
Christine Whitman
Christine Whitman rated it liked it
Mar 18, 2012
Kortney Stewart
Kortney Stewart rated it really liked it
Oct 25, 2015
Kate
Kate rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2011
Megan Whalin
Megan Whalin rated it it was amazing
Dec 01, 2016
Greg
Greg rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Travel guides 1 2 Jun 09, 2013 05:37PM
Richard "Rick" Steves is an American author and television personality on European travel. He is the host of a public television series, and a public radio travel show, and the author of many travel guidebooks and autobiographies.
More about Rick Steves...