Start by marking “Work: How to Find Joy and Meaning in Each Hour of the Day” as Want to Read:
Work: How to Find Joy and Meaning in Each Hour of the Day

Work: How to Find Joy and Meaning in Each Hour of the Day

We all need to "Chop Wood and Carry Water”. In Thich Nhat Hanh’s latest teachings on how to use applied Buddhism in daily life, he looks at how we deal with workplace scenarios, handle home and family responsibilities, and endure traffic jams and other challenges of modern life. By carefully examining our everyday choices he encourages us to become a lotus in a muddy world ...more
Published December 11th 2012 by Parallax Press (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Work, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Work

Neja
Oct 11, 2016 Neja rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritulity
Thich Nhat Hanh is a wonderful teacher, I learned so much from him by reading two of his books. I am exploring buddhism and I really love his books because they are practical for this modern age, for this generation. Not a lot of us live somewhere where money, hate, rage, jealousy, competition, anger wouldn't appear, we don't live in the woods…surrounded by nature, we face a lot of challenges. And he so beautifully teaches us how to use Buda's philosophy at work in this book.
Becky
Sep 01, 2013 Becky rated it it was amazing
I think I may read this again after a time. It challenged me and I needed to be challenged. I see I have very little faith that things can be different and I will have to begin to believe that I can be transformed.

I love the imagery in this book. The tree blowing in a storm, with the billowing leaves and sturdy trunk - a reminder to stay with the trunk, the core body, the breath, when strong emotions arise, and to stay out of the canopy of thinking during that time. The boat that holds the pebbl
Reid
Oct 26, 2013 Reid rated it really liked it
This is a fine little book on the nature of mindfulness and its applicability to the working world. Though there is no central thesis to speak of, at the same time, the overarching philosophy underlying everything here is that, were we to choose compassion and wisdom over greed and narrow thinking, the world would be a much, much better place. Hard to argue with that.

There are some wonderful jewels here, some ways of being in the world of work with love and understanding. I intend to take these
Tony Bogar
Jun 22, 2014 Tony Bogar rated it really liked it
This book does an excellent job of helping you see the big picture and small details and understand how they are interconnected. Simple, engaging, and practical.

I learned that I am already practicing mindfulness - well, I am on my way. I have yet, however, to find my Right Livelihood. It's a journey for me.
Marina
Apr 24, 2016 Marina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Everythink he said was simple and true. Anyone could find use of his advice, because they are that general, but with specific exercises how to achieve this serenity he talks about. I loved the idea of "monotasking" he presents, in my working world where multitasking is still an advantage.
Donniesands
Dec 07, 2016 Donniesands rated it liked it
If this were my first read from Thich Nhat Hanh I would give it 4 stars. Very good but some rehashing of ideas from his other great books.
Karen
Sep 21, 2013 Karen rated it it was amazing
I devoured this like a starving person. I'm eager to try out the concrete suggestions on Monday.
Colleen McClowry
Jan 05, 2013 Colleen McClowry rated it it was amazing
Like all Thich Nhat Hanh's writings, a pleasant read-before-bed book.
Heather
Jun 25, 2013 Heather rated it did not like it
Sorry! :(
David
Dec 27, 2014 David rated it really liked it
Shelves: buddhism
A pretty good, and short book but touched on a lot of things. Unlike many other Buddhist books, this one wasn't quite as preachy and over-explainative in what it was going over. For that, I really appreciate the book.

The most useful parts of the book, for me where:
1) The mindfulness training exercises. I think these are good things for everyone to keep in mind through life, and this book goes over some of them.
2) The '30 ways to reduce stress at work'

There were also a few passages that I found m
Paul Baldowski
I find a lot of this makes perfect sense and I appreciate the chance to read the ideas presented here. I'm all for the concept of living in the now and taking more time appreciating the present. Mindfulness instils an entirely appropriate appreciation that worrying about anything beyond Now is pretty pointless as it lies outside your control and, honestly, Now has enough going on to keep you occupied. Many of us swim through our lives taking very little of Now on board and then complaining that ...more
Kalem Wright
Jan 21, 2017 Kalem Wright rated it really liked it
Work is Thich Nhat Hanh’s effort to bring mindful teach Buddhist practice applicable to this vitally important area of one’s life. Buddhism and its tenets can seem esoteric and unapproachable but Work includes many practical applications for readers to try for themselves.

After a quick introduction to the concept of mindfulness, Hanh leads us through cognitive reframes to help us reinterpret mundane tasks as opportunities to practice. He also offers mantras to repeat to cultivate awareness and g
Ma
Jul 21, 2016 Ma rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dieses Buch zum Thema Achtsamkeit bezieht sich hauptsächlich auf die Arbeit - aber auch um den Alltag drum herum und ist sicher ein super Einstiegsbuch in das Thema. Hier werden einige Übungen erklärt und der Zuhörer in bewusster Wahrnehmung geschult. Die letzten 3 Kapitel waren mir einfach too much.

Mein Hauptaugenmerk liegt momentan auf achtsamen Essen. Eine Ablenkung (Handy, TV, Buch,..) nebenbei fällt mir total schwer. Bewusstes Gehen und bewusstes Atmen beherrsche ich, es fällt mir aber oft
Sleepy
Aug 17, 2016 Sleepy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A joy to read

I'm not going to lie, this book took me ages to finally finish. However, this was only because I didn't give myself the time to simply sit and enjoy the literature, but after making sure to read it in lines and lunches, it has definitely helped me to improve on remaining calm during stressful situations. Even over the last two days, despite feeling anger and sadness in different intervals, I was able to keep my composure and continue to practice mindfulness during these moments so m
Kenneth Starcher
Nov 10, 2014 Kenneth Starcher rated it really liked it
Thich Nhat Hanh, former Buddhist monk, is a highly influential and inspirational teacher, when it comes to mindful living. Work is a brisk little book that teaches the reader how to keep a calm, cool head during a typical day of work, from the time one wakes up to the time he goes to bed. It's surely helped me a lot, and it's opened my eyes and my mind to a way of life and living I'd only dreamed of before. My only real problem with this book is its abundance of grammatical errors. I think Thich ...more
Klenton
Jul 02, 2014 Klenton rated it liked it
Good read. My first Thich Nhat Hanh book. Definitely helpful if most of your work issues are self-inflicted. For externally-inflicted issues you might need to supplement your reading. I thought some of the techniques for avoiding commenting when you are angry good but more suited for farming as opposed to corporate life. (I'll still give them a try though.)
Brendan
Jan 20, 2015 Brendan rated it it was ok
If you are already familiar with basics of 'mindfulness meditation' then this book can be summarized as TNH reminding you to try and be 'mindful' at various points throughout the work day. Somewhat flowery at times, but not a bad read for the practical aspects of considering different opportunities to step back and slow down when overly busy at work.
Paul
Apr 26, 2013 Paul rated it really liked it
I've been reading this book very slowly and taking in the advice. As always, Thich Nhat Hanh provides lessons on how to make life a little more joyful and meaningful.

I would suggest this to anyone, but especially those having trouble at their workplace.

Drew
Aug 08, 2013 Drew rated it it was amazing
A pleasingly simple Buddhist take on workplace harmony. Highly recommended for its personal advice alone; I don't think I'll ever take another step in my office without considering the advice from this book.
Sarah Evan
Like many Thich Nat Hanh books, he breaks down the day-to-day and things you can notice. Applying it to work is helpful especially since many of us treat work as a "just get through the 9-5 to enjoy the rest" is is about enjoying 24/7 - and I apprecaite that!
Jim Lavis
Feb 21, 2016 Jim Lavis rated it liked it
Before I start each day, I take a little time and read inspirational material to get focused. This mindfulness practice always helps me get centered. I just finished this book, and each time I finish any book I feel a bit sad. It's like I'm leaving something special.
Jon Bash
Jul 23, 2015 Jon Bash rated it really liked it
Full of wise words and ideas. This is the first book of his I've read, and it seems to build off of his other works, but also can stand enough alone. Not all of his ideas seemed completely practical, but overall I quote enjoyed it.
Eric
Feb 20, 2015 Eric rated it really liked it
VERY interesting and worth the read. At times this feels a bit heavy on the Buddhist angle, but a Buddhist priest wrote it, so it's not unexpected or even bad! Worth reading to put certain things into perspective. I'm glad I read it! Recommended!
DawneneKarma
Dec 08, 2012 DawneneKarma rated it really liked it
Great book by Thay, another simple yet so complete teaching in his wonderful way of making things real to your own life and experience. Good read for me as I'm working on workplace "conflict". Highly recommend this one!
Trey Nowell
Oct 13, 2015 Trey Nowell rated it it was amazing
Something like my 16th book by him, his message never gets old either. Excellent book to really get you thinking about how a change in attitude and at work can do wonders for that part of your life.
AJ
Oct 31, 2016 AJ rated it it was amazing
Great insight for being a more compassionate coworker or leader, finding right livelihood wherever you are and appreciating all the time we have in our day no matter where we are spending it.
Michelle
Oct 27, 2014 Michelle rated it really liked it
I needed a reminder that work doesn't have to be all stress, all the time, and this book was literally a breath of fresh air.
Saheli
Nov 18, 2015 Saheli rated it it was amazing
It is always a blessing to read Tcich Nhat Hanh's book. Even if you read it again and again it has the same effect. Reading his book is like meditation itself.
Austin Wright
Dec 17, 2014 Austin Wright rated it it was ok
Out of the ten books I've read by Hanh, this one was the most foo-foo. It is basically what if the Buddha worked in a cubicle...
Holly
Sep 01, 2014 Holly rated it really liked it
This book has lots of specific things you can do to create a balance of focus, teamwork, hapiness during every part of your work day.
Goodreads Librari...: Cover to add please 2 11 Dec 20, 2014 11:37AM
  • Buddha Standard Time: Awakening to the Infinite Possibilities of Now
  • Work as a Spiritual Practice: A Practical Buddhist Approach to Inner Growth and Satisfaction on the Job
  • Stepping Out of Self-Deception: The Buddha's Liberating Teaching of No-Self
  • What Would Buddha Do?: 101 Answers to Life's Daily Dilemmas
  • Contemplative Science: Where Buddhism and Neuroscience Converge
  • Everything Arises, Everything Falls Away: Teachings on Impermanence and the End of Suffering
  • The Lost Art of Compassion: Discovering the Practice of Happiness in the Meeting of Buddhism and Psychology
  • Buddha in Daily Life, The: Introduction to the Buddhism of Nichiren Daishonin
  • Being Zen: Bringing Meditation to Life
  • Buddha's Book of Stress Reduction: Finding Serenity and Peace with Mindfulness Meditation
  • Smile at Fear: Awakening the True Heart of Bravery
  • Dancing With Life: Buddhist Insights for Finding Meaning and Joy in the Face of Suffering
  • Awakening Compassion: Meditation Practice for Difficult Times
  • The 12-Step Buddhist: Enhance Recovery from Any Addiction
  • Saddam's Secrets
  • I am not a Buddhist
  • Sweeping Changes:  Discovering the Joy of Zen in Everyday Tasks
  • The Happy Lawyer: Making a Good Life in the Law
More about Thich Nhat Hanh...

“If you take good care of the present, there is no need to worry about the future.” 1 likes
“Perhaps one of the reasons we don't enjoy all these activities as much as we could is because we think activities need to be exciting for us to enjoy them. Many people confuse joy and happiness with excitement. But excitement is not the same as happiness. With joy and happiness we have a sense of satisfaction. There's a feeling of satisfaction in being in the here and now, when you recognize you have so many conditions for happiness in the present moment, whether you're sitting, walking, standing, or working.” 0 likes