Start by marking “Een dal van duisternis (Second Chances Collection, #3)” as Want to Read:
Een dal van duisternis (Second Chances Collection, #3)

Een dal van duisternis (Second Chances Collection #3)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  587 ratings  ·  86 reviews
Sam heeft alles: hij is getrouwd met zijn grote liefde Annie, heeft een prachtig dochtertje en is een succesvol hartchirurg. Onverwacht stort zijn wereld ion. Wanneer hij op het punt staat een meisje te opereren, krijgt hij het bericht dat zijn dochter is overleden. Toch besluit hij zelf de operatie uit te voeren, omdat hij meent dat niemand dat beter kan dan hij. Zijn tro ...more
Published 2007 by Kok (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Een dal van duisternis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Een dal van duisternis

Mel
"At the Scent of Water" is the story of Sam and Annie Truelove, whose marriage unravels after the death of their daughter. Sam throws himself into his work while Annie runs away to begin a new life as far from her past as possible. Sam refuses to give up hope that she will come back, but her return is not the joyful homecoming he has dreamed of.

Linda Nichols introduces her characters slowly, allowing us to get to know them well over the course of the novel. None of them are perfect people, and b
Amber
This book is a great read during a summer vacation. I would not share it with children because it deals with mature matters that a child may not understand in this book. However, high schoolers may be interested in this book since it covers some of the history of the south and one older man's view of his hometown 50 years later and how it changed. This story is touching and is free of obscene language and sexual content. It deals with the hurt and pain that come from losing a child, divorce, and ...more
Larisha
What a wonderful story that reminds us of God's redemptive Love! How beautiful that the main characters Sam & Annie's last name is TrueLove :)

Following the devastating loss of their young daughter, Sam and Annie separate and try to create new lives for themselves, 2,000 or so miles apart. But five years later, circumstances bring them both back to the same North Carolina town where they once lived and loved each other, and where both of their families have been praying for their reconciliati
Billie Sue
I loved this book even though it was painful to read about the loss of a child and how it affected the parents. But this is a very beautiful story, full of God's grace. And at the end I had a good cleansing cry.. I loved the setting in the Smoky Mountains, the description of family gatherings and the gentle understanding of the balance between reality and faith. This is the 3rd book I have read by Linda Nichols and I loved all 3 of them!
Rosi
I LOVED THIS BOOK! I did not know it was a "Christian" book, but even with the bible quoting (there was not a lot) this is a wonderful story. It was "Christian" more in that it was also a story about God's love for us. A great plot, sub-plots that didn't take away from the main story line, and characters that I fell in love with. I hated to see it end. Really. I hope to read more from this author.
Judith Fanslow
There is always hope!

I thoroughly enjoyed this book because it brought on so many emotions! Just like with reading her Sparrow book, I cried a lot throughout the book and especially at the end. Although the endings were a little predictable, I still cried like a baby! I like that they have a Christian theme too.
Thea
This book is about two tragedies which collide in the life of a gifted surgeon and causes everything he loves in life to collapse. Instead of seeking God in prayer, he withdraws and doesn't let his wife help him grieve. It's also the story of the wife who leaves him to rebuild her life without him.

I really liked the writing of this book. It was full of pathos and understanding. As reader you sense that this story could go one of two ways, as it teeters on the edge the whole time. If the characte
Jeni Enjaian
Thankfully, this book also surpassed the first Nichols book I reread a couple weeks ago.

Part of what appeals to me about this book is the setting. While it's not quite my hometown, it's close enough that I recognize the place names and the culture that pervades the southernmost parts of the Appalachians.

I loved all the characters in this book and the complex web that Nichols wove. The only part that I thought took away from the story was the lack of nuanced growth back together of the main cha
Laurie Dewberry
This was a pleasant read, and a story written with so much detail that I could easily picture it in my mind. I definitely wanted to keep reading to find out what happened to this couple. I loved both the beginning and ending of the book. I thought the twist at the end was so clever. I found myself though almost glancing over some of the religious dialogue between the characters because it was so over the top for me, and I got a little irritated that the author felt it necessary to give a detaile ...more
Kristen
If you love inspirational romances, this story might be for you. Annie and Sam Truelove have lead separate lives for five years, when they lost their daughter and tragedy happens to one of his patients, while he was grieving. Annie's on the verge of moving and filing for divorce, when her family calls her back home, when there's a debate about Kelly Bright. Meanwhile, Mary Truelove, Sam's mom, reunites with her ex-fiance Elijah Walker, and rekindles their old romance, while he brought faith and ...more
Megan
I liked the story line and characters. Clean. I sometimes thought there was too much detail and found myself skipping through until the story line picked up again.
Carla Amon
Well written, but don't read it if you are struggle at all with depression, as it is mostly a major downer through most of it.
Michelle
I loved this book. Very touching and emotional. Restores my faith in Gods will and humanity. Read with an open mind as well as an open heart.
Angela
Aug 25, 2012 Angela rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Women who've lost a child - however, anyone from about 13+ could read it.
This was the first book that I've known my mom to read cover to cover... she really enjoyed it! After she finished, I read it, and really appreciated how Linda Nichols wove the characters into the story - and the messege of giving your sorrow to God. The book didn't exactly completely apply to me, as I am not a mother, let alone have lost a child. However, it was a tremendously amazing story, with nothing innappropriate, and I wouldn't be surprised to find myself reading it again.
This book really touched my heart. It's a Christian fiction story about a couple who are going through some major life events which have driven them apart. I appreciated the author's handling of pain, sorrow, and grief, and of how faith in Jesus Christ can help to bring healing and forgiveness. She does a good job of telling each character's story. The fact that most of it is set in the mountains of North Carolina made it a fun read also.
Lizzy
This was part of my bridesmaid present for my friend Jessica's wedding. I'm sure she bought it because it was chick lit, and had a read head on the cover. Little did she know that it's a Christian book. I'm not religious...and she's not completely, so we had a good laugh when I called her and said, "This is a really good book, but what's up with all the "God" stuff?" It does have a good plot and story though. A little sad.
Kelsi Nelson
A sad and triumphant story about overcoming grief. The struggles in this story, though set in a fiction, are real battles that real people face. Linda Nichols took these real battles and created characters with a story that will break your heart. What I was missing, though, was more passion between the main characters as they found their way back to each other. I wanted to feel their love just as greatly as I felt their loss.
Tina
Christine Lindsay
All I can say is I loved it, loved it, loved it. It's now in my top ten of favorite books. This book is one I'll pull out every few years and read again and again. Gorgeous prose that makes me jealous as a writer, but the story grabbed me by the fibers of my heart on page one and didn't let go. At the end of the story I was sad to say goodbye to characters I had truly come to love.
Becky
A strange "twist of fate / God's hand / coincidence" story of loss, love, family, broken promises and importance of communication. It was an outstanding story of one couple's loss of their daughter and the loss of their marriage. At the same time, another couple was reuniting after 45 years of separation. And one old woman sat back and got to see it all unfold from every side.
Alisonb
I really, really wanted to love this book. I liked the story, but it was a very slow book for me.

There are a lot of characters in this book and they are well developed by Nichols. Sometimes I got lost in the progression of the story because of the details of each character.

This is a story of hope and healing. I liked the story, just not the journey to the resolution!
Mary Van Luven
I really enjoyed this book especially given that I read it this summer. Sure there is an inevitable ending, but it demonstrated hope for me. This is the way marriage should be- full of perseverance. Nichols certainly has a gifting from god because her ability to tie in scripture and Godly wisdom in such an organic way was beautiful. This brought renewed energy to my life.
Debi
What can I say about this book? It was well-written, descriptive, and made you a part of the story. A couple is torn apart by the death of their daughter. Can they ever be made whole again? The journey they go through, the lives that are affected by their choices, this book encompasses the tragedies and joys of life. I gave it a 5/5. Highly recommended.
Brooke
I really enjoyed this book, maybe even more so than the other two books of hers that I have read. If I could I would have given this book 4.5 stars. This story looks at the grief experienced by the loved ones of a child that has died. It does not just focus on the sadness though there is hope and light too. I would highly recommend this book!
Su
I really couldn't find the story believable or interesting. A young couple is torn apart when their young daughter dies and the story slowly evolves around the process of them getting together again. I justg thought it seemed to be written for a high school English class
assignment. Trite and obious and done so many times before.
Laurel

I don't usually enjoy Christian fiction, but this story was so emotionally touching, and I truly admired the depth of feeling within the storyline. I felt that the author had done some real soul-searching around the pain of the loss of a loved one, and this carried through in the emotional journeys of the characters.
Angela
Nichols did a good job of bringing you into the characters and feeling all that they were going through. Reading this was a reminder that we may never know the whys, but with God by our side He will get us through the dark times and see happiness on the other side if we just let him have His way with us!
Kate
A friend loaned me this book. It was a Christian lit book about a husband and wife who loose a child and then loose their faith. It is well written and stylistically beautiful. It is a little slow moving and introspective, which certainly isn't a bad thing if you are in the mood for it.
Margaret
While the story moved to an inevitable ending, I enjoyed the journey. It explored some good life issues like grief, anger of God, the will of God. I liked the characters and the way that healing occurred in three broken lives. It is not great writing, but it's a very enjoyable story.
Julie
I think this is a very slow book. It seems like there are so many characters, with so many details, that I got distracted trying to keep everyone straight, and therefore lost sight of the story. It was a good story in the end. But the journey to get to the end was painful to endure.
  • The Novelist
  • Life Everlasting (Alexi Lindale, #2)
  • Unforgotten (The Michelli Family Series #2)
  • Hidden Places
  • The Shadow of Your Smile (Deep Haven, #5)
  • Norah's Ark
  • A Fine Line (Baxter Series, #5)
  • Single Sashimi
  • Stain of Guilt (Hidden Faces Series, #2)
  • The Dead Don't Dance
  • Tiger Lillie
  • The Language of Sparrows
Linda Nichols’ first two novels, including Not a Sparrow Falls, sold in the six figures because of her unique way of touching readers’ hearts through story. A graduate of the University of Washington, Linda and her family make their home in Tacoma, Washington.
More about Linda Nichols...
In Search of Eden (Second Chances Collection, #2) Not a Sparrow Falls (Second Chances Collection, #1) If I Gained the World (Second Chances Collection, #4) Handyman I Will with God's Help Mentor Guide: Episcopal Confirmation for Youth and Adult