Malentendus

Malentendus

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  1,734 ratings  ·  56 reviews
Tout les sépare : milieu, fortune, ambitions. Tessa ne jure que par la peinture ; Ross est un play-boy à la réputation sulfureuse. Pourtant, il suffit d'une nuit de tendresse, et la passion se déchaîne... Mais des obstacles surgissent - entre autres, un bébé qui s'annonce, histoire de simplifier les choses ! D'amour en déceptions, de fuites en retours éperdus, de trahisons...more
Mass Market Paperback, 509 pages
Published 2008 by J'ai Lu (first published 1991)

Nik
Let me tell you before hand that I love Jill Mansell's books as my reviews serve testimony. They provide exactly what I crave - a light quick and enjoyable read and sometimes even tend to surprise me.

Reading the blurb I knew exactly what I was getting into - A story about a rich handsome playboy who falls in love with a free spirited independent girl as they play cat and mouse and all this ultimately leads to the happily ever after

And that is precisely what this book was.

But alas! in no way...more
Suad Shamma
Ugh! Ugh, ugh, UGH!!

I cannot begin to review this book, I just can't. I am so DONE and OVER with Jill Mansell. What is wrong with you? What kind of sad, pathetic life have you led to make you come up with such disgusting drivel?

I could not have thought her books could get any worse, but oh my God, they could. They really could. I wish there was a 0 star rating I could give this book to appease my anger and loathing for it. How can ANYONE think this was worth 5 stars?

The characters are an embarr...more
Stardancer
Kellie
Goddess
this is awful. Super rich guy and poor struggling artist from disadvantaged single parent home... blah blah. This is trite, clichéd pathetic and TEDIOUS. There is NO chemistry. The book makes fairytales like Cinderella sound realistic. Its utterly ghastly.

if the "hero" wants to really show he's committed to being a husband and father (or at least hoping to make a good impression as a husband let alone father) than he needs to have more than money and good looks. He acts like an idiot. And other...more
A.C
Personally "chicklits" are not usually my cup of tea, unless written by Jill Mansell. Her stories are funny, sharp and normally a good read. Her characters are likable normal people who find themself in somewhat absurd situations which are larger than life and quit funny.

And Solo was no exception, but why my fairly low rating? Because I found 2 third of the book a bit boring. It did not catch me at all. All the ingredients where there. Plus a very good heroin (painter Tessa) but I did not care...more
Rystal :)
I LOVED THIS BOOK! i think that this is one of Jill mansell's best books. I loved all of the characters in this story and the story had me thinking and wondering about what would happen in the end of the book and whether it would be a happy ending!!! A FANTASTIC READ!!!
Anna
This was adorable...a typical Jill Mansell, my only issue was that it dragged on a bit so I did find myself getting impatient for the end but it was worth the wait!
Lissa
Apr 22, 2009 Lissa marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended by Kelly
Susan
What can I say? Jill Mansell has such a wonderfully irreverent writing style that she sucks me right in every time! Tessa and Holly are total opposites but are still best friends. Tessa's mum worked as a maid for Holly's very wealthy parents. She is a struggling,down to earth, extremely talented artist. Holly,bored, gets a job as a receptionist at the exclusive hotel owned by Ross and Max Monahan.In her spare time, she buys garish make-up and tasteless clothing, and ends up looking clownish desp...more
Lena2011
The summary is given above, so I'll just give my initial responses to "Solo." This book contains many characters and was kind of a strange read for me because all of their lives were intertwined in some way, which was a little too unrealistic for me. The book doesn't really develop any of the characters, except the Hero, to my satisfaction because there are so many side stories going on. Overall the book was an ok read. I didn't really enjoy how much the Hero "Cheated" even though it never quite...more
Dark-Draco
I have to admit that I'm not a big fan of chick-lit, women's fiction, romance type book, but I did quite enjoy this one. Not the thing I would have picked for myself, I rescued it from my sister's bookshelf when she started discussing getting rid of them. Sacrilage!!

Tessa Duvall is a struggling artist who hates parties, but is dragged along to one by her best friend, Holly, who has a crush on the host, Max Monaghan. But it's Ross Monaghan that Tessa meets and, despite knowing he's an unfaithful,...more
Tia
The book was shit, the hero has no morals. There was a bunch of cheating and affairs going on. It was hardly acceptable and then the heroine actually wanted to be with him. Someone hit her with a bat repeatedly. I'm sorry but if he couldn't be faithful as a boyfriend, why would it make any difference when they were married. God what a load of shit! What a waste of paper this novel is printed on.
Miyulin
Pepperpots
Jill Mansell often has multiple characters in her books who are all connected in some way. Usually it works but with this novel it just felt too much. If it had been a little more streamlined then I would have rated the book higher.

EDIT: I also think the story (as well as character development) could have been improved if Ross had had the sense to give Antonia her marching orders sooner. Having her move abroad was just too convenient. If we are to believe that Ross could commit to Tssa then sur...more
Purple Iris
1.5

Okay, I read this over two days. It did not make me want to kill myself, but it was a waste of time. Don't do it. I will try something else by Mansell, though, because I really enjoyed Rumour Has It.
Joyce
Jill Mansell is my go-to author when I want something fun, light and solid. It's never a five-star book, but I always enjoy them, they have fun characters and they make me laugh. It's almost a guarantee. This Mansell book doesn't have any of those elements. It's my least favorite so far. I really had to wrestle my way through the book. First of all I didn't sympathize with the leading character Tessa, couldn't relate to her on any level. She was very one-dimensional and normally they will become...more
Julia Doherty
I've always got a chick lit in the go as I find it's an excellent way to switch off. Jill Mansell is a fabulous author and Solo was a great read. A bit cheesy in places, but you expect that don't you?

I must admit, she had me going with the Holly / Max / Adam scenario right until the end.
Rachel
I have to admit that I found this book incredibly disappointing. I couldn't stand the central character, felt her to be selfish, self-indulgent and generally unlikable. Very glad that I only borrowed this one from the library.
Arianne
I give up. Too many characters, too many bullshit. I'm gonna move on to the next one. This is why I don't risk in too much chicklits.
Julia Holloway
Another wonderful read by Jill Mansell! I dare you to not feel better after reading this delightful book.
Candice
I've read a few of Mansell's books and really really loved them. But this was bad. It was way smuttier then her usual reliable fun style which I was very disappointed with.

I found it a little repetitive and their was so much adultery it's a wonder there wasn't a murder. And the one relationship I liked (matties) he dies!!!! Oh & no one ever finds out how evil Antonia pretty much killed her husband by hurling abuse (& items) at him!

I would not admit to reading this book. And the ending se...more
Modupe Bolarin
i re read this book, it was absolutely love.
Sandra  Valente
Another of my favourite authors.
Kate
Large cracks have appeared on the surface on the earth - this is a British chick book I could actually read to the end. (Trust me, there's a very tall stack of them in the corner of the living room that I couldn't get past the jacket blurb.) It's a mindless romance w/multiple plotlines, but sadly, no smut - Jill Mansell is apparently a good and proper Brit. There's a touch of humor to this quick read, and of course, everyone is happy and headed for marraige at the end (but only after a spate of...more
~☆laura
Jacqueline
I can't complain that this was predictable because having read the blurb on the back it was very obvious where it was going to end up. It just took way too long and far too many 'nearly theres' to get there. By the time everyone did end up with their OTL at the end, I was past caring. Not one of her best I'm afraid. Her other book covering a similar plot - 'A walk in the Park' - was so much better.
Meggie
Wow, the romantic relationships got rather...complicated and intertwined and almost incestuous there. It was a quick read, but I didn't actually like any of the main characters--frankly, I thought that most of them were horrid individuals. I have a few other books by Jill Mansell sitting around--I hope they all aren't like this one!
Anisa Uddin
I love Jill mansell books, but boy was this a disappointment. the characters were lame, she ran away five billion times for five billion years. and she changed her mind about liking EVERY DAMN CHAPTER and some psycho woman killed her husband. its too much to take in. and max. he was a complete shit.
Alison
I was absolutely gripped by this book. the story which I thought was going to last to the end didn't but as it went on I was gripped more and more. I would definitely recommend this to any Jill mansell fan, or anyone who is looking for a nice romantic read with twists and turns at every corner.
  • The Rose Revived
  • That Loving Feeling
  • Walking Back to Happiness
  • Welcome to My World
  • She's The One
Jill Mansell lives with her partner and children in Bristol, and writes full time. Actually that’s not true; she watches TV, eats fruit gums, admires the rugby players training in the sports field behind her house, and spends hours on the internet marvelling at how many other writers have blogs. Only when she’s completely run out of displacement activities does she write.

Jill Mansell's books have...more
More about Jill Mansell...
Rumour Has It An Offer You Can't Refuse Millie's Fling To the Moon and Back Take a Chance on Me