Start by marking “Miss Marple: The Complete Short Stories” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Miss Marple: The Compl...

Agatha Christie

Miss Marple: The Complete Short Stories (Miss Marple anth 20)

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  5,123 ratings  ·  223 reviews
Presented for the first time in one volume are all twenty of the short stories featuring Miss Jane Marple, that delightful spinster whose innocent blue eyes belie her shrewd insights. Here, in her pretty Victorian home, her knitting needles clicking softly in the background, Agatha Christie's famous amateur sleuth solves twenty crimes in her mild, quiet manner, basing her ...more
Published October 1st 2012 by GP Putnam And Sons (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Miss Marple, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miss Marple

Bri
I was stuck at my grandparents house for a summer while my mother and brother went to Bermuda on a boyscout trip that I couldn't accompany them on. Needless to say, I was bitter. My grandmother had a number of books in a bookcase in the guest bedroom, mostly historical fiction, religious biographies, and birdwatching guides. But this little gem was wedged between a tell-all on St. Francis of Assisi and 'Season at the Point: The Birds and Birders of Cape May.' And thus I discovered Agatha Christi ...more
Shaun
Agatha Christie is the most widely published author of all time, outsold only by the Bible and Shakespeare. Her books have sold more than a billion copies in English and another billion in a hundred foreign languages.

I don't know about you, but I think that's a pretty impressive back cover blurb.

This complete collection of Miss Marple stories is my first experience with the famous spinster/amateur sleuth, and it was enjoyable, even if the long time St. Mary Mead's resident didn't stack up to
An Odd1
Rated high on Fan shelf only for the admirable clever old Miss Jane Marple, beloved of page and screen, here in 20 from The Tuesday Club, Regatta, Three Blind Mice aka Mousetrap, Double Sin and other stories. Black lace cap on "piled up masses of snowy hair, matching "mittens" gloves, erect alert posture, keen "faded blue eyes", spots of pink blushing her cheeks at some of the secrets hidden behind quiet village facade. Jane knits quietly, observes carefully, remembers long, applies human behavi ...more
Madhulika Liddle
One of Agatha Christie’s most endearing and popular characters, the white-haired, sweet but canny, sometimes-given-to-rambling Miss Jane Marple first appeared in a book in 1930 – and continued to appear, in various novels as well as short stories, over the next nearly 50 years. This book is a compilation of all the Miss Marple stories, culled from three books: The Thirteen Problems (known in America as The Tuesday Club Murders); Miss Marple’s Final Cases; and The Adventure of the Christmas Puddi ...more
Krista
I am a really big fan of Agatha Christie. I have been reading her stories since I was quite young, probably beginning in grade school. Miss Marple has always been my particular favorite, though there will always be in my heart a soft spot for the astute Belgian and his Captain Hastings. That said, there are some rather unpleasant things scattered throughout her work that bear mentioning in light of modern common standards of decency. One could be reading along, fully immersed in the village life ...more
Tony
Christie, Agatha. THE COMPLETE MISS MARPLE SHORT STORIES. (2003). ****. It’s been years and years since I read most of these stories, and now, through this collection put together by The Folio Society, they are all in one place. The stories span Christie’s publishing career from the early 1930s to the late 1970s, and you can watch Miss Marple evolve over the years. We all have out image of Miss Marple. Mine is that of Margaret Rutherford, bustling her way through St. Mary Mead, the small village ...more
Kathryn
I do like a book with either short stories or short chapters (or both) for my nightly reading before I retire; and this book of all of the Miss Marple short stories fit my requirements quite well, as I was reading two or three of the twenty stories each night. In my misspent youth I read a lot of Agatha Christie, and my favorite character of hers was always Miss Marple, so I loved this book.

Miss Jane Marple is, without putting too fine a point on it, an old lady; never married, she has lived in
Stuart Aken
Iconic, much adapted for film and TV, these tales have been around a while and many people have taken pleasure from them in this form. But, until now, I’d not read a single one. This collection both introduces and develops the character (I met one of the original actors, Joan Hickson, whilst working on an article with her son, Nick, when she lived in Wivenhoe. Very private and reserved lady.)

What I hadn’t appreciated was that the written stories actually distance Miss Marple from most of the ev
booklady
I have an almost complete collection of Agatha Christie and I love her!!! Back in the early 90s I made a concerted effort to read every one of her books. I didn't succeed! But I sure enjoyed the attempt! I don't like most modern murder mysteries, but I like the puzzle-solving aspect of A. C. too!

Hey Morning Star, you must be a fan of G. K. Chesterton and the Father Brown mysteries too, I'll bet?!

And have you read my review on "Gardens of the Dead"? The sleuth is a modern British monk! Excellen
Joy
I do like Agatha Christie stories. Miss Marple is so unassuming and modest, lives in a small town, and enjoys her neighbors. She's my kind of person. I particularly like the way she finds solutions to mysteries based on her past experiences. I like for experiences to pay off in the future. Christie has black and white characters, another thing I really like. Example: "Miss helier paused, slightly out of breath, and it was borne in upon her audience that the outside of Jane's charming head was di ...more
Andrea Hickman Walker
I love this collection. I could read it every week! I'm particularly fond of the first set, generally known as the Tuesday Club Murders or Thirteen Problems. These short stories are a great introduction to Miss Marple and the way in which she goes about solving crimes (the well-known village parallel). The writing is particularly evocative and you can clearly picture a white-haired woman carefully counting stitches in the corner, listening to everything being said and quietly solving the mystery ...more
Julie Davis
#76 - 2010.

I read all these in different editions, many when they first came out long ago. They prove just as entertaining now as they did then, and in many cases I don't remember the stories well, which is a bonus. There is no one for sniffing out wickedness in basic human behavior like a spinster lady who has lived in a little village, as gentle Miss Marple continually must remind those around her.
Christian
Like an Encyclopedia Brown for adults, this collection of short mysteries revisits the (now) classic tropes of detective fiction. Readers who want something quick and tasty between novels can turn to this and feel eminently entertained. I suspect this was as much about character study for Mme. Christie as it was an intellectual exercise.
Rebecca
I loved these in high school, and still enjoy them now. Classic short mystery stories with an unassuming detective who uses her observation and common sense to see what no one else does. I guess I just enjoy the underdog showing everyone else up--and showing that even unmarried women have value in the world.
Belinda
Not surprisingly this book was perfection. Somehow with my love of Agatha I had never stumbled across this particular book--I have read some Miss Marple and adore the Masterpiece Mystery series etc but this was actually a bit of a revelation. The stories are laid out in such a manner as to give a feeling of being part of Miss Marple's little "mystery club" (in which ironically she is at first ignored, the assumption being that as she is a little old village spinster, she has not seen enough of t ...more
Debbie
"Miss Marple: The Complete Short Stories" is a collection of twenty short mysteries featuring Miss Marple. Though written as contemporary mysteries, they are now historical mysteries. A few of the stories mentioned a historical (or British) thing where I couldn't figure out what meant. Perhaps this was because they were short stories or because some of them were early in her career. I've never had this problem with Agatha Christie's novels.

The mysteries were clever, and they could be solved. I w
Jean
Spoilery questions:

1. What exactly is "corn-flour," that one would drink from a bowl as a remedy for an upset stomach?

2. How does herbaceous wallpaper work? You apply (presumably artificial) flowers to it, and the flowers come in "clumps," but the clumps must be flat cut-outs of flowers, because otherwise how could you paste litmus paper over them? And how is it that no one just took down the lethal color-changing flower and said, "huh, this flower didn't actually turn blue at all, it's just tha
Christine
Now this is what I call a great short story collection. Short stories are normally not my favorite genre. But I will sure make an exception for Agatha Christie. Everyone one of her 20 short stories in this collection were totally engaging and expertly crafted. I cannot get enough of Miss Marple!
Amy
Hey! Remember that time everyone thought Miss Marple was some fluffy old biddy who only cared about knitting but instead she was awesome and solved multiple cold blooded murders without even dropping a stitch? Those people really have egg on their face now.
Shane
So I hadn't read Miss Marple forevs, but was delighted and surprised to find that I like the Miss Marple stories more than ever. Though I've heard that Christie actually despised Miss Marple *and Poirot* I thought she was uber. The mysteries of whodunnit themselves were tricky in some respects and easy in other respects - once one gets to know what to look for; however, there the ultimate solution of howdunnit or whydunnit wasn't ever clear to me 'till Miss Marple saved the day.

Also of interest
Beth Peninger
Agatha Christie is BRILLIANT. I don't know how she does it but she is the mastermind of murder. Without fail she stumps me every time. I grew up reading Agatha Christie but have found recently that there are several mysteries of hers that I have yet to read, I was so excited to discover that! :) This book was one that I had not read before. It was a book of short stories and every single one was a mystery that Miss Marple solved in her own unique way and with her perspective on human nature. I g ...more
Dana
Miss Marple is an unmarried elderly lady living in the small English town of St. Mary Mead. Miss Marple is able to solve mysteries like no other. She has lived in her small town all her life and recalls seemingly unconnected events that lead her to solve the mystery. St. Mary Mead is a microcosm of the world in general and Miss Marple has a large number of friends, relatives and tradespeople she knows.

I can not select one story as my favourite as they are all excellent. Agatha Christie is a fant
Elisha Condie
This was the perfect book for the holidays. It's a collection of short stories all featuring that regular looking old lady, Miss Marple who is actually quite a genius at solving mysteries. I love Miss Marple and how she sits quietly knitting but listening all the while. And short stories that you can read a few at a time when you're tired after a long, fun day are the best. I wish there were more of these short stories to read.
I really think that Jane Marple could beat Sherlock Holmes at a ga
Library-KAT
The collection is made up of: Tuesday Club Murders (13 Problems), The Regatta Mystery, Three Blind Mice and Other Stories, and Double Sin and Other Stories.
In all I believe there were 20 stories ALL Featuring Miss Marple..... I was never fond of Jane Marple to being with, the falsely humble old lady who knits and pretends to be a simple minded old maid.
The Tuesday Club Murders bored me to tears; In the first six stories a group of six people gathered at Miss Marple's home each posing a mystery f
Shelby Lee
I have to admit, I have no real idea on how to review this book, as it is a collection of multiple stories. This whole Agatha Christieathon has become waaaaay harder than I ever anticipated.

In these short stories Miss Marple is an extremely old lady who everyone views with a sort of kind benevolence. Everyone just thinks she's such a sweetheart, but they also wouldn't be surprised if she accidentally used salt instead of sugar in her coffee on the reg.

The thing is, she's actually a total hoss. A
Agongt408
If you are looking for mystery stories with slowly growing suspense and clever plot twists, then Miss Marple: The Complete Short Stories is the perfect book for you. Written by Agatha Christie, one of the most renowned and best-selling authors of all time, the book is an unique and interesting collection of short-story mysteries expedient for those wanting to read stories that are fairly short but highly complex and captivating. Fortunately, you won't be without any good stories to read. Miss Ma ...more
This was my first introduction to Miss Marple. I must say that I enjoyed these stories - Miss Marple's quick perception was as infallible as Sherlock Holmes' meticulous deductions and her roundabout way of reaching conclusions (by always referring back to a seemingly impertinent village incident) was fun and original. Because they were short stories, the mysteries were not able to be very complicated and the ones which were more interesting reminded me of several Sherlock Holmes stories.
HBalikov
Miss Jane Marple is an awesome creation of Agatha Christie. Almost as sedentary as Nero Wolfe, she sits in her small house, in her small village, in the English hinterlands and solves some extraordinary mysteries.

This collection spans almost the entire existence of Miss Marple as detective. For me, these stories are the best format (better than the novels) to enjoy her brain power. In over thirty years of writing (and I believe over 20 years of aging), Miss Marple evolves. I advise to ignore th
Gena
this is great for beach reading or when you need something light and easily broken into sections. I had never read any Agatha Christie--and really very few mysteries of any sort; and wanted to find why she was so famous. We were going away for a long weekend to Great Wolf and I wanted something that was light. The stories are short and intersting and her character "Miss Marple" is entertaining. Very clever and pleasant, and a genre that I was unfamiliar with before.
Danielle
My edition is older and even though it is called the Complete Short Stories, I'm not sure that it is "complete". Some seem to be selections from larger collections.

However, I did enjoy reading these in the short story form. Sometimes I think the Miss Marple mysteries drag on longer than my interest and these kept me reading. It brought back memories of my first experiences with Christie and how I always checked the bookshelves at the local KMart for novels I didn't have.
Goodreads Librari...: One book has questionable entries 4 39 Jan 30, 2012 04:24PM
  • Murder for Christmas
  • The Scandal of Father Brown (Father Brown, #5)
  • A Daughter's a Daughter
  • Agatha Christie
  • The Wide Net and Other Stories
  • The World of Jeeves (Jeeves, #2-4)
  • Lord Peter (Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries)
  • Black Is the Colour of My True Love's Heart (Felse, #6)
  • The Best of Mystery: 63 Short Stories Chosen by the Master of Suspense
  • The Art of Fact: A Historical Anthology of Literary Journalism
  • Don't Open This Book
  • Agatha Christie: Murder in the Making: More Stories and Secrets from Her Notebooks
  • Agatha Christie: A Biography
  • The Tomorrow-Tamer
  • The New Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
  • Small Avalanches and Other Stories
  • Heart of the West

Agatha Mary Clarissa Miller was born in Torquay, Devon, England, U.K., as the youngest of three. The Millers had two other children: Margaret Frary Miller (1879–1950), called Madge, who was eleven years Agatha's senior, and Louis Montant Miller (1880
More about Agatha Christie...

Miss Marple (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Murder at the Vicarage (Miss Marple, #1)
  • The Thirteen Problems (Miss Marple, #2)
  • The Body in the Library (Miss Marple, #3)
  • The Moving Finger (Miss Marple, #4)
  • A Murder Is Announced (Miss Marple, #5)
  • They Do It with Mirrors (Miss Marple, #6)
  • A Pocket Full of Rye (Miss Marple, #7)
  • 4:50 from Paddington (Miss Marple, #8)
  • The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side (Miss Marple, #9)
  • A Caribbean Mystery (Miss Marple, #10)
And Then There Were None Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10) The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot #1) Murder at the Vicarage (Miss Marple, #1) The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot, #4)

“Very full of cant phrases” 0 likes
“Miss Greenshaw appeared to have no fear of burglars, and was probably justified, as most things in the house weighed several tons and were of no marketable value.” 0 likes