Start by marking “Seven Years with Banksy” as Want to Read:
Seven Years with Banksy

Seven Years with Banksy

Seven years with Banksy is an extraordinary memoir that offers a unique, first-hand account of the world's most celebrated, and elusive, graffiti artist.
Published 2012 by Michael O'Mara Books Ltd

To ask other readers questions about Seven Years with Banksy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seven Years with Banksy

Andrew
Mar 31, 2013 Andrew rated it it was ok
Not all that well written, in need of an editor and crying out for better book design... there were times that it veered uncomfortably into the realms of hagiography (including relating mystical dreams about the artist), and other times when you wondered if there was even a story worth telling here, as it didn't elucidate Banksy the man to any great extent. Ultimately it's a book more about Robert Clarke than it is about Banksy. It is of course also difficult to ascertain the authenticity of ...more
Gem
May 31, 2012 Gem rated it liked it
it was nice to learn a bit about Banksy, but i did start to wonder the motivation of the writing the book, and did wonder how the artist himself felt about the book being written about thim, and there was nothing in there about his knowing of it.

apart from that, a nice easy read, interesting and loved the artwork secions :)
Aylinalpustun
Jan 28, 2016 Aylinalpustun rated it it was ok
From somebody who has personally known this ingenious artist for the past seven years, I would have expected a more detailed account on the philosophy of Banksy.

Instead it was more like a narrative of a bunch of party "boys" running loose on empty streets trying to find obscure destinations to paint.

I felt it just brushed off the surface.

We already know that Banksy has a very aloof character and that he prefers to go "incognito" and that he is a very "intelligent" artist, not much to add to thes
George Ilsley
May 21, 2013 George Ilsley rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, memoir
A collection of somewhat vague anecdotes. This writer has not followed the advice "show, don't tell". This text is mostly telling. Such things as "ran into Robin. We talked of incredibly interesting things. He half-smiled." Seriously, repeat that many many times, format the thing with big type and huge headers (on the sides of pages) and you have a book with not much content that you can read in no time. The pictures, of course, are the most interesting part of this book.

A more accurate title wo
Nathan Bohn
Jan 03, 2014 Nathan Bohn rated it it was ok
Ground breaking? Not really. This is a book that gives insight on a chance meeting and goes to illustrate the casually deep relationship with the author and Banksy. It feels like an average guy writing things down which is easy to see in the writing. It rambles a bit and is more stream of conscience than edited plot. But it is honest and true.
Claudia Duarte
Jun 25, 2013 Claudia Duarte rated it it was amazing
Very easy to read. People expect too much because of the title but the story is about two guys. One happens to be Banksy.
Its not about solving the identity mistery its about a friendship.
Don't expect too much just because his name pops out, just accept and think about it.
Emma
May 11, 2013 Emma rated it liked it
I enjoyed this, but the author annoyed me somewhat. Always banging on about how underground he is. It's definitely not what I expected. I was hoping for an insight into Banksy but all I got was a Bromance. Still I guess it must have been "good" if I read it till the end...
Elisabeth Bridges
Jul 16, 2015 Elisabeth Bridges rated it really liked it
I loved getting to see the "human" side of Banksy. The story of him buying a toy rabbit for his niece was a personal favorite! He is such an inspiring artist.
Artemis Eclectica
Jul 06, 2012 Artemis Eclectica rated it it was ok
Slightly pretentious. If he considers himself a writer, he's not working hard enough. Some really poor writing in this book.
Brian
Brian rated it liked it
Oct 01, 2012
Nathan Mays
Jun 08, 2013 Nathan Mays rated it did not like it
Pretty terrible and the title of the book is very miss leading
Charles
Apr 03, 2013 Charles rated it liked it
easy read - some interesting adventures
Simone Harris
Simone Harris rated it liked it
Sep 15, 2014
Rey
Rey rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2013
Bayau
Bayau rated it did not like it
Jul 11, 2014
Nicola
Nicola rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2015
Raul
Raul rated it it was ok
Oct 30, 2013
Ryan
Ryan rated it liked it
Apr 02, 2013
Raymond Harbert
Raymond Harbert rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2016
Jacqui O'mara
Jacqui O'mara rated it did not like it
Mar 06, 2015
Beau
Beau rated it it was amazing
Nov 16, 2015
Anton
Anton rated it liked it
Aug 15, 2016
Lauren
Lauren rated it it was amazing
Oct 23, 2014
Adam
Adam rated it it was amazing
Sep 02, 2012
Robz
Robz rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2012
Meike
Meike rated it really liked it
Sep 24, 2016
Chris Dahlin
Chris Dahlin rated it it was ok
Aug 02, 2013
Rich Taylor
Rich Taylor rated it it was ok
Feb 16, 2016
Al Davis
Al Davis rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2016
Steve
Steve rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Dada & Surrealism (Phaidon Art and Ideas)
  • Banksy: The Man Behind the Wall
  • 100 Ideas that Changed Photography
  • Concrete, Bulletproof, Invisible + Fried: My Life as a Revolting Cock
  • Art in Theory 1900-1990: An Anthology of Changing Ideas
  • Trespass: A History Of Uncommissioned Urban Art
  • I Sold Andy Warhol (Too Soon)
  • 100 Ideas that Changed Fashion
  • Sign Painters
  • Art Since 1940: Strategies of Being
  • Synchronicity: The Bridge Between Matter and Mind
  • So This is Permanence: Joy Division Lyrics and Notebooks
Robert Clarke was brought up in Cotswold valleys. He came of age in Thatcher's Britain and has spent a third of his life travelling the world. He has held down dozens of jobs, from building to cycle messaging in Manhattan, NYC. He currently lives in Sweden with his wife and children and works as a writer. In summer he can be found sailing in the outer skerries of the Stockholm archipelago. His ...more
More about Robert Clarke...