Start by marking “Brave Squish Rabbit” as Want to Read:
Brave Squish Rabbit

Brave Squish Rabbit

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  170 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Who's afraid of the dark?
Not Squish!

Published September 27th 2012 by Viking Books for Young Readers (first published September 13th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Brave Squish Rabbit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brave Squish Rabbit

Cindy
Squish is a little rabbit that is scared of many things. He is afraid of storms, Chickens, and most of all the dark. When Squishes friend Twitch disappears he must face his fears to find his friend. I love how Squish let his concern for his friend out weigh his fears. This is a cute story that show that sometimes the things we are afraid of really are not all that scary. This would be a fun read aloud for k-2 students.
Sandy Brehl
"Being little can lead to BIG fears"- truer words than this are hard to find in a picture book. Identifiable fears are portrayed in slightly comic and simple images. Squish overcomes his fears to search for his missing friend and discovers himself. A simpler, gentler version of "Scaredy Squirrel".
Mary
I think it's possible I like this one more than the first. Squish Rabbit is a small rabbit, and afraid of many things, but when his friend goes missing, Squish decides to be brave and find him.
Robin
Twitch helps Squish get over his fear of the dark. The minimalist illustrations are not short on expressiveness, and the subtle textures bring them to life.
Becky Loader
Blah, blah, bland. Very tame story, very bland illustrations. Disappointing.
Meredith
Squish is a little rabbit whose small size leads to some big fears, which he, of course, conquers in this book. This is a very gentle story to which children, particularly those who are afraid of the dark and thunderstorms, can relate.

The illustrations are sweet, simple, and super cute. The artwork is reminiscent of comic books and video games and includes textured collage.
Ashley
Squish is a little bunny with lots of fears (think the bunny version of Scaredy Squirrel) but has to overcome them when his best friend is nowhere to be found. With little tidbits of humor kids will like to point out - an acorn hat, firefly lantern - this story is enjoyable and has a lovely take away about fears and friendship.
Dolly
May 01, 2013 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their young children
This is a short, simple tale about a rabbit who is afraid of the dark. The narrative is entertaining and would be good for both a read-aloud with a group or bedtime storytime. The illustrations are quite humorous and help to show that the dark isn't too scary after all. It's a nice sequel to Squish Rabbit, also by Katherine Battersby.

I would recommend this book for parents reading with children who are toddlers through kindergarteners or anyone who isn't ready for Scaredy Squirrel yet.

Christine Turner
Who's afraid of the dark? Not Squish! Squish Rabbit is a very small rabbit, and he's afraid of lots of things. Like storms. And chickens (you would be too, if you were small!). And the dark. Especially the dark. But when he goes to meet his good friend Twitch the squirrel one evening, he can't find her. She's missing! And it's getting dark! Squish knows he must be brave to find her, but it takes all of his courage . . . to discover that the dark can be magical, especially when filled with stars. ...more
Kaethe
I forgot the story within second of reading it. Ignore it. Just enjoy the pictures.

(It would be better as a wordless book, I think, like my beloved Owly)

Library copy.
Kris Odahowski
Bold simple illustrations and honest text about overcoming real fears make this a fun one to read and share. Check it out at the library.
Arlen
charming simplicity - effective storytelling. great to read to wee little ones.
Jess
Squish is scared of many things but when he believes his friend is lost in a world where all the things he fears is, he finds the courage to seek her out.

I love the simple, colourful pictures. Very effective.
Rosa
Squish is a little rabbit who is afraid of everything. His friend Twitch makes him feel a little less scared about things. I love the illustrations on this book. They appear to be collages of materials that are part of what the actual item is or evoke the feeling of the item and I love it.
Amy
I was hopeful that I could use my Squish Rabbit sock puppets for this new book with return of the sweet squishy rabbit. But the text is so limiting, I think it would be best for preschoolers. Won't work for my kindergartners. And that is fine. It may be intended for younger audiences anyway.
Magila
Nearly as good as the first book. Squish learns to conquer his fear of the dark - and other scary things. These books are simple and meaningful. The message is loud and clear, and uplifting.

Squish deserves more exposure. Pick it up. And recommend it if you enjoy the story.

Recommend.
Sam Sochacka
Not surprisingly this picture book for younger readers is a complete delight. Covering the theme of facing your fears and realising how brave you really are, this is perfect for younger readers, and a pleasure for those sharing it with the children in their lives.
Lindsey
A perfect book to introduce the topic of fears/ weird phobias. Precious illustrations that even older readers will enjoy.

Squish Rabbit is scared of storms, the dark, and chickens. Will his fear control him or can he conquer them to help a friend?

Claire
Squish Rabbit books are so sweet and just so well illustrated, that I am annoyed at myself that I haven't added them to my childrens collection yet. But I will.

A great story about overcoming fear. If Squish can do it, so can the rest of us.
Ame
Squish is an awfully 'fraidy rabbit. Even the dark gives him the shivers! But, is he entirely hopeless? *Spoiler* Not when his friend goes missing!

Colors are deep and fun to look at, and the protagonist is just so darned cute.
Jessi
This was a cute story to read about how to handle being scared. The kids seemed very concerned for Squish, but were so happy and relieved when he found his friend.
Nancy Jo Lambert
This is a super cute book with a gentle story that will go over we'll with kids. The mixed media and the illustrations really make this book what it is, great!
It's hard to resist brave squish rabbit. There was a page that I found to be laugh out loud funny. I hope that Squish and Twitch have many more adventures.
Robin
It's always a good thing when a book character can get over their fears easily and Squish Rabbit is a fearful animal who overcomes that feeling.
Erin
Simpler than Scaredy Squirrel, Squish Rabbit still features a thread of humor that runs through this story about overcoming fears.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Just read the F&G and loved this rabbit who is afraid of things. Mixed media illustrations are fun. Nice wrap at end.
Jen
short enough for story time for little ones. Good moral. kinda cute pictures. book jumps quikly to conclusion.
BookCupid
Cute story, and the illustrations were simple and beautiful making it easy for a small child to follow the story.
Anna
I liked the illustration of this book. It's simple and short. Easy to read to toddlers and keeps their attention.
Kathleen
This is an adorable story about an anxious little rabbit overcoming his fear of the dark.
  • Good News, Bad News
  • Hooray for Hat!
  • Boo Hoo Bird
  • Mr. Zinger's Hat
  • Sophie's Fish
  • I Don't Want to Be a Pea! (Hugo and Bella)
  • Bone Dog
  • Little Mouse's Big Secret
  • The Chicken Problem
  • Perfectly Percy
  • Little Owl Lost
  • 999 Tadpoles
  • No Bears
Katherine is a children's writer and illustrator who grew up in a small coastal town in Australia, and has always scribbled words and images. She has had many short stories published in anthologies and magazines, and in 2010 won a Marten Bequest Travelling Scholarship for her writing. Nothing makes her happier than ice-cream, summer storms and creating stories for children. She adores reading, rab ...more
More about Katherine Battersby...
Squish Rabbit Squish Rabbit Board Book