Start by marking “Baby Penguins Everywhere!” as Want to Read:
Baby Penguins Everywhere!

Baby Penguins Everywhere!

Can there be such a thing as too many adorable penguins?

Published December 6th 2012 by Philomel Books

To ask other readers questions about Baby Penguins Everywhere!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Baby Penguins Everywhere!

Melki
May 25, 2013 Melki rated it liked it
Shelves: children
I read this while waiting in line to check-out at Wegmans, so you know there's not much going on plotwise. Still, it was more interesting than The National Enquirer or People and contained NO Kardashians, so three stars for those cute baby penguins.
Dena (Batch of Books)
Jan 24, 2013 Dena (Batch of Books) rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Cutest illustrations EVER!

I can't get over how adorable this book is. I absolutely love Melissa Guion's artwork. It is so simple, stylized, and 100% sweet. The pencil drawing and watercolor artwork is what really makes this book shine. I am always extremely happy to see great artwork in a picture book. It makes the reading experience that much richer and more enjoyable.

My children love penguins, so this was a really fun book for them to read. They laughed when a baby penguin came of out of the h
Arminzerella
A lonely, lady penguin finds a top hat bobbing in the sea brimming with a bevy of baby penguins. And it's not just one or two, it's more like a three-ring-circus' worth. Suddenly she's not lonely anymore - she's exhausted. And she needs some serious me-time. Maybe motherhood wasn't quite what she'd expected? Or one would have been enough? We're not to know. The babies find her and bring her back into the center of it all. And it's ok, because she has been reenergized by her time away.

I don't thi
Mary
You can't go wrong with a book in which a plethora of penguins climb out of a top hat. A solitary adult penguin is enjoying the peace and quiet until suddenly her solitude is disrupted by a neverending stream of penguins. Fortunately, she's more than happy to play with and care for the little intruders. The illustrations remind me of those of one of my favorite author/illustrators: Oliver Jeffers (minus the stick legs). While older preschoolers would enjoy this, I think it's especially appropria ...more
The Bougie Twins
Feb 04, 2016 The Bougie Twins rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
The Brothers
Feb 16, 2017 The Brothers rated it liked it
Shelves: penguins, solitude
A sweet story about a lonely penguin that gets inundated with baby penguins. And while it loves the new arrivals, sometimes it's still nice to be alone.

Illustrations are super cute.
Patricia Richard
Feb 02, 2017 Patricia Richard rated it it was amazing
Cute
Tasha
Jul 24, 2012 Tasha rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
There was a penguin who was all alone on the ice floes. She liked the quiet, but sometimes it did get lonely. Then one day, she discovered a top hat floating in the water. Once the hat was on land, out popped a little penguin. And then another! The big penguin was very happy and no longer lonely. But then came another little penguin, and more, and more. Soon there were many, many little penguins everywhere. The big penguin was very busy and quite tired. She knew she just needed on little thing – ...more
Andrew Stockle
“Baby Penguins Everywhere!” is a story about a penguin that happens upon a magic hat. All of a sudden baby penguins emerge from the hat one at a time until there are tons of them running around crazily. As a result, the adult penguin is very busy! The narrator explains that the penguin feels as though she need just a minute to herself. However, the reader then sees that once the penguin has had a moment alone she has much more fun while they are all together. This book has very few words, but th ...more
Michelle
Dec 25, 2014 Michelle rated it it was amazing
One penguin was all alone and feeling very lonely, until she found a hat floating in the water and out popped a baby penguin. Then another and another, and more and more until the penguin wasn’t lonely anymore. She was very busy playing with the little penguins, watching over them as the penguins ran here and there, and everywhere doing what little penguins do. Soon she was tired, absolutely exhausted, and needed some time alone. And that was okay, sometimes we need a moment or two to recharge, ...more
Christine Turner
Can there be such a thing as too many adorable penguins? One day a penguin sees a most unusual sight: a hat floating in the icy water. Even more unusual? Out of the hat pops a baby penguin. But not just one baby penguin . . . or even two. But a third, and a fourth, and on and on!

At first the mama penguin is happy for the company. Until she realizes that taking care of a family is very hard, very tiring work, and what she could really use is just a moment alone. Yet as newcomer Melissa Guion rem
Milka
Jan 22, 2014 Milka rated it really liked it
Baby Penguins Everywhere tells the story of a penguin all alone on the ice, feeling lonely. Until one day, when she sees a hat floating by in the water. Out of the hat popped a little penguin. And another. And another. And another. And many more! The hat looks like one of those magician’s hats where the guy can pull out 10 rabbits in a row. So now, the penguin isn’t lonely anymore. In fact, she’s very, very busy (I believe there are 29 little penguins in this book). After a while, Mama Penguin i ...more
S.Michelle
Jan 25, 2013 S.Michelle rated it really liked it
A more detailed review can be found on my blog.

As a fan of the Pittsburgh Penguins hockey team, I grabbed this book on first glance simply because penguins and then because BABY PENGUINS!!!

A thoroughly entertaining story about how overwhelming family can be, Baby Penguins Everywhere is a fun, lighthearted tale about a lonely lady penguin who discovers more family than she ever dreamed when she finds a hat... from which emerge an untold number of baby penguins. At first she is simply happy to no
Wenceslao Moreno
Feb 06, 2013 Wenceslao Moreno rated it it was amazing
I sweep floors at a library, and when this book first showed up at first I said, "Oh, no! Not another talking penguin book!" Because I am getting a little fed up with books where animals talk, because a.) animals don't talk like people do, and b.) if they did, I'm pretty sure lions don't say, "How do you do?" They would say something else, not that. So fake.

But I am pleased to report that this is NOT a talking penguins book, this book is good, instead. Very, very good. I really like the business
Bruce Gargoyle
Feb 03, 2014 Bruce Gargoyle rated it it was amazing
Ten Second Synopsis:
Lonely lady penguin becomes unexpected foster carer to mysterious hat-dwelling baby penguins that appear on her ice floe out of the blue.

I suspect that some of the lower starred reviews may be over thinking this one. This is a cute story that any parent or caregiver will be able to relate to. The illustrations are bright and convey poor old mama penguin's emotional roller coaster throughout the story. Parents will probably enjoy this more than the little ones, and for that re
J McCoy
Aug 12, 2016 J McCoy rated it liked it
My daughter likes this book, though I am not sure why. The pictures are cute, and I guess she is too young to catch on that the story makes no sense, or at least its beginning does not: a lonely penguin ends up surrounded by baby penguins... that pop out of a hat? I guess it's a magic hat, like Frosty's? Heck, maybe it IS Frosty's hat. The unusual nature of the hat is never discussed. It's probably paranoid of me to worry that my daughter will be surprised to discover one day that penguins hatch ...more
Ariel Cummins
Mar 04, 2013 Ariel Cummins rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Very cute art accompanies a short story about a penguin who is all alone -- until all of the sudden she's joined by more baby penguins than she can count! She has lots of fun, but sometimes she needs just a little bit of quiet time. Then she's ready for fun again!

Really really cute art that's almost reminiscent of Oliver Jeffer's whimsical works. Sweet and penguin-y -- you can almost feel how tired momma penguin is in the scene that shows her sprawled across the ice with baby penguins crawling a
Meg McGregor
May 14, 2014 Meg McGregor rated it really liked it
Little ones need to learn that sometimes it is okay to want to be alone.

And it is okay if their caregivers need a little time alone too!

I have always taught my little ones that they need to be independent. Even when my littles are only weeks old they learn that it is never to young to be read to, loved, or to learn patience.

That is what I take from this book and that I try to teach my little ones.

After all, patience (and independence) is a virtue.
Peacegal
Jan 25, 2013 Peacegal rated it it was ok
The illustrations were cute, in a primitive sort of way, but I can't say I really liked the values expressed here, which to me, were,
1. Babies just "happen" and there's not much we can do about it
2. When it comes to having children, the more, the better
3. The parent should give up all of her former likes and desires once children come along
4. Babies take away your sense of self, But It's All Worth It (TM)
Great Books
Feb 23, 2013 Great Books rated it really liked it
Shelves: birth-4
Penguin sits on an ice floe in the wide ocean and enjoys being alone, but discovers that it can also become lonely. When she spies a hat floating in the water, she is pleased to find a little penguin inside; however, more little penguins keep popping out and the fun begins. The adorable watercolor-and-pencil illustrations captures the playfulness of the babies making this book appealing for sharing with the whole family. Reviewer 17
Meg McGregor
Dec 23, 2014 Meg McGregor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-to-lexi
Little ones need to learn that sometimes it is okay to want to be alone.

And it is okay if their caregivers need a little time alone too!

That is what I take from this book and that I try to teach my little ones.

After all, patience (and independence) is a virtue.
Kaethe
Jul 16, 2014 Kaethe rated it liked it
To write this book about a mama penguin, specifically, and a crazy vast number of babies just doesn't make a lot of sense, since penguin fathers are especially devoted parents, and since would-be-foster-parents always exceed the number of orphaned hatchlings.

I love penguins, but the mismatch between story theme and subject hasn't been so bad since that stupid movie that gave all the cattle udders and male names and voices. Quah?

Library copy.
Shanda Kinkade
Feb 09, 2013 Shanda Kinkade rated it really liked it
I had forgotten how much I love children's book. Since my step kids are older and love reading on their own, I don't get the change to read books to the younger set much anymore. I do have some young children in my life but I don't get to see them so often. This book is wonderful and I think it would be great for my young niece and nephew. I love that it a bit about Mommy needing alone time but recognizing how important the family together time is the most important.
Erin Reilly-Sanders
I liked the art on this one quite a bit- it's simple but still feels like it required some skill to create. The lines are sketching and soft but the colors are saturated and clear, even if limited. The story seemed lovely but I'd really like to get to spend more time with it, especially with a more attentive audience.
Tara
One lonely penguin lives in the artic all alone. One day it discovers a hat and out pops a baby penguin, and then another, and another, and another until there are so many babies the penguin doesn't know what to do.

The simple text and playful illustrations make this book a good fit for storytime, and an excellent read-aloud to enjoy with your little one.
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Are you lonely? Are you overwhelmed? Everyone even has their moments, even penguins.

Such a fun book with a magical hat. Yes, it's good to have family or friends around. Yes, it's fun to be busy, busy, busy. But everyone needs a moment to breath, to pause, to be alone. Thank you, Melissa Guion for sharing and explaining a quiet moment with young readers.

Reviewed from a library copy.
Dewey
Jan 26, 2016 Dewey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: st-penguins
I don't know where this book was when I was actively seeking out books on penguins, but a coworker showed it to me today, and it. is. adorable. A lonely penguin finds a hat, and out pops baby penguin after baby penguin after baby penguin...she isn't lonely anymore! This book is perfect for a toddler or baby-aged storytime.
Ina
Jan 13, 2014 Ina rated it really liked it
When a lonely penguin finds a hat filled with baby penguins she soon gets more than she had bargained for! The illustrations are soft and filled with fun, the simple text describes how busy she becomes caring for all of her new companions...and how tired. Read this at a baby storytime and all of the mothers smiled, nodded and laughed identifying with Ms. Penguin.
Melanie
A lonely penguin enjoys her solitary life until she realizes that company might be nice. She finds a hat, and inside the hat are lots of baby penguins! She loves the company but she soon learns that everyone needs time to themselves.

Nothing special about this one. Rather droll water color paintings make for a hard to see read-aloud.
Satia
Adorable illustrations don't make up for a story that's too barbed.

For the full review of this and two other books, click here.
  • Penguin and Pinecone
  • Hank Finds an Egg
  • I Am Small
  • Night Light
  • Tiny Rabbit's Big Wish
Melissa Guion lives in Brooklyn, NY. Her debut picture book Baby Penguins Everywhere! (Philomel Books) was selected by the Society of Illustrators for The Original Art 2012, an exhibition of the year's best children's book illustration.

Melissa also writes for Tom Tom, the world's only magazine dedicated to female drummers.
More about Melissa Guion...