Start by marking “A Thousand Mornings” as Want to Read:
A Thousand Mornings

A Thousand Mornings

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  2,850 ratings  ·  352 reviews
Grca_badge_winner
In A Thousand Mornings, Mary Oliver returns to the imagery that has come to define her life’s work, transporting us to the marshland and coastline of her beloved home, Provincetown, Massachusetts. In these pages, Oliver shares the wonder of dawn, the grace of animals, and the transformative power of attention. Whether studying the leaves of a tree or mourning her adored do ...more
Published October 11th 2012 by Penguin Press HC, The

To ask other readers questions about A Thousand Mornings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Thousand Mornings

Liam
Nov 02, 2012 Liam rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: poetry
I arose early on 10-11-12 to check the status of my Amazon package containing puer ginger tea and 3 poetry books including A Thousand Mornings. The tracking told me it have been delivered. I found the package on the porch.

I proceeded to make the tea and to sit down in my chair to read the entire volume.

Mary thankfully takes us back to all manner of nature and her dog Percy and the black snake and forest birds and the living ocean waves. All the while commenting on being alive and exuding gratit
Kate
I am so new to poetry.

It used to bother me that the "rules" of poetry were not clear. I didn't like puzzles that did not have answers and I don't have a literary decoder ring. I was never very good at memorizing passages (I can't even repeat a joke back to you in a way that keeps the funny). There were some other feeble excuses - most of which have absolutely nothing to do with poetry - but all that matters is that I kept on not reading poetry.

*Quite a few years back, I happened upon my first A
Dianne
Beautiful - I deliciously soaked up every word, over and over, on recent flights to and from Utah for hiking. Many many treasures here, but for me the best - and hardest - is 'The Gardener'. Really, I have to answer all the hardest questions of Life at one time? Working on that....

THE GARDENER

Have I lived enough?
Have I loved enough?
Have I considered Right Action enough, have I come to any conclusion?
Have I experienced happiness with sufficient gratitude?
Have I endured loneliness with grace?

.....
Mary
A lovely little collection of poetry centred around the power, peace and beauty of nature. Simple and peaceful observations, often with a little twist at the end, the poet's self-reflection. One of my favourites was "The Mockingbird," and I hope it is okay to quote it here:

The Mockingbird

All summer
the mockingbird
In his pearl-gray coat
and his white-windowed wings

flies
from the hedge to the top of the pine
and begins to sing, but it's neither
lilting nor lovely,

for he is the their of other sounds -
wh
Zach
Nov 25, 2012 Zach rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: poetry
Easy to read and easy to love, Oliver's poetry is playful and refreshing. While some poems can be impersonal, or so personal they alienate nearly everyone, the poems in A Thousand Mornings are all about patience with and careful observation of the simple and unremarkable, and letting those simple but elusive truths reveal themselves. Oliver's A Thousand Mornings isn't a cerebral tangle of word play and symbolism, but a beautiful, seemingly effortless uncovering of the often overlooked and undera ...more
Florence Millo
I grieve for all the years I did not know Mary Oliver's poetry.
Josh
For me, reading Mary Oliver is like meeting a rarely seen, but much-loved and admired friend; a conversation and a glimpse into their life feels like a gift, but leaves a surprisingly aching sense of loss. Her writing has consistently been self-reflective observances of and within nature, unexpectedly exposing our own poverty of a life without. In her world, she approaches life with a soft, and open inquisitiveness to the (mostly) silent earthly elders; the aging black oak, the sea (that speaks ...more
Adele
(A brief review I wrote for The Banner magazine)

For almost 50 years, American poet Mary Oliver has been celebrated for her graceful inquisitions into the rhythms of the natural world. Her latest collection, A Thousand Mornings, continues in this same tradition, inviting readers to explore the creatures and shorelines of her beloved home, Provincetown, Mass.

Longtime fans of Oliver’s work will recognize the same patient, lyrical pilgrim who is grateful to be alive, ready to be astonished, and “ful
Cherie
I read through all of the poems last evening but I think I was a little too tired to really take in and appreciate them. My favorite poem was Green, Green Is My Sister's House. It is about climbing a tree and potentially falling out of it. I especially liked the last lines

"if someday you can't find me you might
look into that tree or--of course
it's possible--under it"

I liked most of the poems in the book, but I need to read them over more than once to really get to know and feel them. I will k
Kateri Ewing
It is an event in my life, when a new Mary Oliver book is published. In the past so many years I have celebratd the arrivals of Evidence, Thirst, Swan, and Red Bird. I have purchased at least five copies of her New and Selected Poems becasue I can’t help but give them away when I meet someone who has never heard of her before. And each time I receive a new title it is my constant companion for weeks upon weeks. If you find it strange that a book of poems can be a companion, then you have not met ...more
Yelda
Mary Oliver's collection of poems, A Thousand Mornings, published this fall, is a poignant meditation on nature and the self. It reminded me of the nature writings of Annie Dillard, the essays of Thoreau and Emerson, and the poems of Whitman and the Transcendentalists. Oliver could be an adopted poet of that movement.

The poems are almost naked, sometimes abrupt, but if nature could speak, this is what she could say. Oliver is certainly awed by her surroundings, the sea, animals and the spiritual
Ann
I fell in love with Mary Oliver's fine, deep nature poems when I was in college. I can recite some of them ("August," "Singapore") from memory. As time passed, I began to drift away from her books, which are always well-written and life-affirming, but also always written alike. It's not necessarily a bad thing to find a voice and style and stick to it. I am pleased with Oliver's popularity among readers who are not necessarily poetry aficionados. After all, she is a Pulitzer Prize winner. Anyway ...more
Cathie
Sep 13, 2013 Cathie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Cathie by: Goodreads Choice Awards Book of the Month
This book is a lovely contemplative read. I can picture Mary Oliver, all in her 71 years of glory, climbing the tree to count the leaves she tells us of in the poem "Foolishness? No. It's Not.".

This book of poetry is a wonderful glimpse into the heart and thoughts of it's poetess. I will be picking up this book often, whenever I need a refreshing, quiet glimpse into the awe of life, thoughts on living or not thinking about living, or if I want to visit with the Fox again or remember Percy, Olive
Melody
Every Christmas season my book group has a poetry reading. So I, who am not a poetry reader by nature, scramble around to find that perfect, meaningful poem to read aloud. ( I DO love to read aloud). Mary Oliver's new book, A Thousand Mornings reminds us to not let a regular old day pass you by without noticing and being grateful for the wonder and the splendor. Today I am grateful that at least once a year I am "pressured" to expand my reading to include poetry.
Gloria
The book's description uses the words "transformative power of attention." Paying attention is something I've been working at, being still enough to notice. This is a thoughtful collection of simple prose that often has a tiny, thought-provoking line at the end of a poem. Mary Oliver is considered to be America's greatest poet, but the poems are so simple that this "title" seems deceiving. For those who aren't sure they like poetry, Mary Oliver is pleasing to read.
Shannon
"For a while I could not remember some word I was in need of, and I was bereaved and said: where are you, beloved friend?" One of the smallest poems I've ever read, titled "After I Fall Down the Stairs at the Golden Temple" and in Oliver's offerings from this tiny volume. Given that we're currently dealing with my grandmother's dementia and the fact that she continually forgets that my grandfather died in March, along with words and what was for lunch, this poem touched me in a very elemental wa ...more
Patricia
I have loved Mary Oliver's poetry ever since I was introduced to it by a dear friend about eight years ago. I was very excited to learn, last summer, that she would be publishing another volume this past fall. It was a lovely read, and I look forward to referencing it again and again.

These were my favorite poems: Foolishness? No, it's not; If I were; Poem of the one world; And Bob Dylan too; Hurricane; The mockingbird; An old story; and The man who has many answers.

Foolishness? No, it's not

Some
Casee Marie
Something about Mary Oliver’s latest collection of poems caught my attention when it was first published in October of 2012; maybe the premise of it, the fact that her poetry in A Thousand Mornings revolves around animals and nature, and her joyful interactions with both. Regardless, I saw it again some months ago at the library and started to read it while I lingered in front of its shelf; when I seemed perfectly content to stay there reading the entire collection, I figured it was definitely o ...more
Larraine
I'm not usually much of a poetry reader, but this slim and lovely volume was irresistible. I would call her poetry "accessible," a term that some artists dislike. I hope Ms. Oliver doesn't because that's what it is. I love her ode to her little dog Percy who apparently came to her after being abused, and did not live long. She describes, in one poem, Percy coming back. She reaches out to touch him, but she can't because he is like music. You can't touch that either. He tells her that eternity is ...more
Susan Sink
Someone let me read her copy of this book over a weekend, and I was grateful for that. I thought about photocopying a few of the poems I loved instantly, but then went ahead and bought a copy. Hardcover. I almost never do that, but I'm trying to be better about supporting poets and books, and I know I'll return to this one again and again.

Mary Oliver's work feels so effortless and so hard won. It's a product of a life of writing and of living in contemplation of living things and life itself. T
katie
It's been so long since I read poems that I gorged on this fine slim piece of peace. I imagine I was supposed to linger long over this book and sip slowly, but no. I read the whole second half while my two children ran in circles around the house, shrieking jubilantly. Meanwhile, I sat and MaryOlivered, quietly turning pages, while the world outside filled up with snow.
Deyanne
Fortunately for me, I was able to slip away again into the mystical, sensitive world of Mary Oliver. While this anthology was not my very favorite of her works, I still savored it because of such poems as:

Three Things to Remember

As long as you are dancing, you can
break the rules.
Sometimes breaking the rules is just
extending the rules.

Sometimes there are no rules.

(What a great prompt for an English class.)

For me, Mary Oliver is thought provoking, and I return to her words and insights aft
Taymara Jagmohan
Have I lived enough?
Have I loved enough?
Have I conquered loneliness with grace?

It begins with the poem called the Gardener and ends with a poem that lives within you.
A poem that must be narrated in our actions, and a life that must be lived.

Poetry books tend to live on in our hearts, although we often forget their words.
Poetry is depth, and so, we live to achieve our Poetry.

Simple book. A book to stir the appetite to begin quite unsurely a Summer Reading Challenge.

Although, some of the poems wer
Vikki Marshall
This is a book to savor on a quiet rainy day. Mary Oliver is nature’s poet, her words make you want to gaze at the stars in the middle of midnight, to lie in wet grass and see the small, infinitesimal world we all stumble over without a single thought. Her poems inspire an awakened ear to the unique hymnals of mockingbirds and blue jays. Her wonder never ceases to inspire her readers to find their own little corner of grace in this great big fast paced world.
Erika
Mary Oliver's poems are marked with sadness, but also freedom and wisdom that comes through experience. Some of her poems are odd and too short, but overall I enjoyed reading each one by one to grasp her style and heart. This one was one of my favorites:

Who can guess the luna's sadness who lives so briefly? Who can guess the impatience of stone longing to be ground down, to be part again of something livelier? Who can imagine in what heaviness the rivers remember their original clarity?
Strange
Kathryn
My first poetry book. I was in a small store and the lady behind the counter was reading this book and she shared some of it with me. I knew I had to get the book for myself. I'm a mere baby when it comes to poetry. I don't do symbolism at all and often times I just don't get things, but this book I got very easily. It has brought for me a wanting to read more.
Jessamyn Ayers
I am enjoying just opening this book to whatever poem I come across. "Hurricane" was the one I read today and, subsequently, forced my oldest son to read. He did without revulsion and with, actually, a bit of curiosity. Oliver records and inspires the miraculous!
Mark
Oct 18, 2012 Mark rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Mark by: goodreads
Shelves: poems-poetry
While there are poems in this, the brand-new book from one of my favorite contemporary poets, that I like, I really did not like this anywhere near as much as I would have expected.
Dave
I'm sure I read this too fast, and I might've found more going slowly. But I found quite a lot in this half hour to go back to. Favorites: "Foolishness? No, It's Not," "Out Of the Stump Rot, Something," "The Mockingbird," and especially, "Hurricane." The back of the hand to everything.

Also these lines, from "Lines Written In the Days of Growing Darkness":
So let us go on, cheerfully enough,
this and every crisping day,

though the sun be swinging east,
and the ponds be cold and black,
and the sweets
Stephanie Ridge
Brilliant and lovely. I've finished reading through these poems, but I haven't finished reading them.
If John Green says it's good, it's going on my to-read list! 2 28 May 01, 2014 06:46PM
AfterEllen.com Bo...: Mary Oliver. 2 31 Jul 18, 2013 07:42PM
21st Century Lite...: May 2013 - A Thousand Mornings by Mary Oliver 64 69 May 22, 2013 02:54AM
Goodreads Choice ...: January 2013 - A Thousand Mornings Discussion 12 158 Jan 31, 2013 07:54PM
Mary Oliver Poetry: A Thousand Mornings 1 18 Oct 11, 2012 03:59PM
  • Aimless Love: New and Selected Poems
  • Delights & Shadows
  • Useless Landscape, or A Guide for Boys
  • Alien vs. Predator
  • Olivia and the Fairy Princesses (Olivia)
  • Rilke's Book of Hours: Love Poems to God
  • Alive Together
  • Goat In The Snow
  • Slow Lightning
  • Metaphysical Dog

“Mary Oliver. In a region that has produced most of the nation's poet laureates, it is risky to single out one fragile 71-year-old bard of Provincetown. But Mary Oliver, who won the Pulitzer Prize in poetry in 1983, is my choice for her joyous, accessible, intimate observati
More about Mary Oliver...
New and Selected Poems, Vol. 1 American Primitive Why I Wake Early Thirst A Poetry Handbook

I Go Down To The Shore

I go down to the shore in the morning
and depending on the hour the waves
are rolling in or moving out,
and I say, oh, I am miserable,
what shall—
what should I do? And the sea says
in its lovely voice:
Excuse me, I have work to do.”
78 likes
“And now you'll be telling stories
of my coming back
and they won't be false, and they won't be true
but they'll be real”