Start by marking “The Yuckiest, Stinkiest, Best Valentine Ever” as Want to Read:
The Yuckiest, Stinkiest, Best Valentine Ever

The Yuckiest, Stinkiest, Best Valentine Ever

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  162 ratings  ·  49 reviews
Even boys will fall in love with this valentine!

Leon has a crush. A let-her-cut-in-line-at-the-water-fountain kind of crush. And he's got the perfect valentine. But this valentine has no intention of getting caught up in any romantic conspiracy. "Love is yucky, kid! Valentine's Day is all about CANDY!" the card yells at Leon, before leaping out the window and running away
Published December 6th 2012 by Dial Books (first published October 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Yuckiest, Stinkiest, Best Valentine Ever, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Yuckiest, Stinkiest, Best Valentine Ever

Melissa
OK, if you HAVE to write a story about love and crushes for young kids (WHICH I DON'T THINK YOU DO) then this one is at least age-appropriate in its descriptions of what love is (let-you-cut-in-line; pick-you-for-kickball; no-kissing-or-even-holding-hands) AND gets points for the boy not being afraid to share his feelings.
Tasha
Leon has a crush on a girl, so he makes her a construction paper heart for Valentine’s Day. But when he tries to put the valentine into an envelope, the valentine runs away insisting that Leon can’t tell Zoey Maloney that he loves her! In fact, the valentine thinks love is “mushy and gross and just plain YUCKY!” He says that Valentine’s Day is not about love, but about candy. Soon Leon is chasing after the valentine, trying to get him to stop. They pass a group of boys, a group of girls and a gr ...more
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
A fun, laugh out loud, age appropriate Valentine book that both kids and adults can enjoy reading together. What happens when Leon's homemade Valentine comes to life and discovers he's going to be given away to Leon's crush? He runs away, of course. Leon's Valentine doesn't believe in love/crushes. He says Valentine is all about the candy hearts and love is yucky, and stinky and turns your brain to goo. What in ensues is a chase around town to catch the run away Valentine, during which Leon enc ...more
babyhippoface
Valentine's Day picture books--good ones--are difficult to come by. The problem with most is over-sentimentality. Too mushy. Ick. Sometimes they're funny (my favorite) but either not funny enough, or too long, or both.

A couple of years ago I came across Someone Loves You, Mr. Hatch, and lo and behold, it was ME that was in love! Finally, a Valentine book I could read aloud multiple times without wanting to throw it across the room by the end of the week.

And now I have another one. Oh, let's no
Katie Fitzgerald
I still question whether preschoolers and early elementary schoolers care about stories about crushes, but this one is pretty funny. Fly Guy fans looking for a story with that same sense of humor will not be disappointed. I especially like that Arnold includes the reactions of boys, girls, and a group of teens to the main character's desire to give a Valentine to the girl he likes.

Read at Read-Along Story Time for Beginning Readers on 2/14/13: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...
Jessica
Feb 13, 2014 Jessica added it
Shelves: children
Oh man, this book had me from the title. Those who know me know that I really hate sappiness and anything ooey-gooey (unless it's a sea salt caramel. Hey now.), so this was right up my alley and a perfect lead-in to the Valentine's Day storytime. It's about a boy named Leon who makes a valentine to send to Zoey Maloney ("Dear Zoey Maloney, I love you. Love, Leon.") when the valentine comes alive, leaps out of his hands and runs away, basically claiming that it'll be social suicide of Leon reveal ...more
Liz
Leon plans to celebrate Valentine's Day by making a valentine for Zoey Maloney. Springing to life, the valentine runs away from Leon, trying to save him from ridicule and embarrassment. As Leon chases after his Valentine, a growing crowd follows, wanting to see how Leon's Valentine's Day will end.

"The Yuckiest, Stinkiest, Best Valentine Ever" is appropriate for ages 4+ (Grades PreK+).

This book has a great plot and great illustrations. The pages are filled with bright, colorful computer generat
Joella www.cinjoella.com
Leon is making a valentine for Zoey Maloney, the girl he loves. BUT the valentine isn’t thrilled with this idea. He decides to run away (he could be best friends with the Ginger Bread Man). And while he runs he sings, “Love is yucky. Stinky Too. It will turn your brain to GOO!” As the valentine meets up with boys, girls, and teens they all have different reactions as to what they think about Leon’s attempt to tell Zoey Maloney that he loves her. Eventually Leon and his valentine bump into Zoey a ...more
Library
Oh no! Valentine on the run! What if your Valentine for a crush took off? You would chase too! This book follows a boy chasing the runaway Valentine he made for his crush. A quick and repetitive adventure ensues filled with great illustrations by Tedd Arnold.
Cyndi
More for kindergartners, the valentine runs away from a love-struck boy and ends up falling for another valentine. Themes parallel the runaway gingerbread boy.
Ms Threlkeld
Ah, love, how it torments us so! This is a fun and fast-paced romp that will appeal to lots of kids and will be read every February.
Samantha
Leon makes a valentine for the girl he's crushing on, but the valentine has a mind of its own and thinks love is stinky and gross and suggest Leon focus on candy instead. Leon chases the valentine until he meets up with the object of his affection, Zoey, who has a valentine for Leon. When Leon's valentine falls for Zoey's valentine he changes his tune and they all live happily ever after.

A great read aloud with a catchy refrain and structured like a fairytale. Digital artwork is arranged in pan
Emyrose8
4.5- Aww! Reminds me of the Gingerbread Man story, except with a runaway Valentine.
Krissy Stoeger
excellent

I would read again and again. Such a cute story and well told
Lee Anne
A cute book to read aloud.
Robin Rockman
So stinkin' cute!
Dolly
Mar 18, 2013 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2013, childrens, valentine
This is a humorous tale of young love that is sure to entertain elementary school-age children. The narrative is entertaining and the illustrations are colorful and funny. We liked the cumulative chase scenes, that are reminiscent of the story The Gingerbread Man. We enjoyed reading this book together.
Gabrielle Mcintire
This story made me smile! The book is clever and well written while using quality images and vocabulary. Students could easily engage in this as well as respond in some sort of valentines day activity. It really tells a story of how students actually think through valentines day!
BookCupid
Perfect book to read this time of year, with Valentine's just a few days away. I found the little boy quite bold for wanting to give his love a card. Bottom line: if you really like someone then don't be afraid to tell them because of what others might say.
April Smith
This was a cute book about a boy named Leon who has a big crush on this girl he likes and has made the perfect valentine but the valentine runs away. Will he be able to catch up to his valentine in time? read the book and find out.
Peacegal
This clever take on the Gingerbread Man story stars a valentine who is too embarrassed to be given away to the boy's crush. The kid in the story looks like a junior version of the James Franco character from "Freaks and Geeks."
Elizabeth Sandlund
This story made me laugh. The book is clever and well written while using quality images and vocabulary. Students could easily engage in this as well as respond in some sort of valentines day activity.
Lizzie
My favorite part is the reactions of the other kids to the main characters crush. Not sure if crushes is something that early grade topic of interest, but I like the way it reads out loud.
Elisabeth
Finally a good Valentine's Day book that isn't too long, too juvenile, or too mushy! I like the homage to The Gingerbread Man and Tedd Arnold's illustrations make the book.
Pamela
This book creatively shows how different age groups/genders view the concept of liking someone. It's just funny and sweet. Boys and girls alike would enjoy this one.
Michelle Neuwirth Gray
The illustrations were fun and full of deep color and dark lines. The story was very sweet and this would be a fun book to read to a class or in storytime.
Carol
This is a very cute and sweet twist on the Gingerbread Man story. Tedd Arnold's fabulous illustrations are a perfect match.
Jen
Jan 17, 2013 Jen rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: pb
this was like a version of the gingerbread man. some rhyming. a little bit long for story time. It's not an amazing story.
Anjanette Wold
My daughter loves this book but I can't get over how derivative it is of the Gingerbread Man. I love Tedd Arnold though...
Beverly
Comical illustrations with a sort of "gingerbread man" motif; only it's a Valentine running off with a crowd behind it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • A Moose That Says Moo
  • How to Teach a Slug to Read
  • The Valentine Bears
  • Love, Ruby Valentine
  • Nugget and Fang: Friends Forever--or Snack Time?
  • The Ballad of Valentine (Picture Puffins)
  • Ten Orange Pumpkins: A Counting Book