Start by marking “Dear Chandler, Dear Scarlett: A Grandfather's Thoughts on Faith, Family, and the Things That Matter Most” as Want to Read:

Dear Chandler, Dear Scarlett touches on the time­less topics of faith, love, family, overcoming adversity, and staying true to your values in the face of failure and temptation. For instance, Huckabee tells how being forced to pick up pecans from the trees in his yard taught him the value of hard work. (“We were told that if we wanted to eat that night and sleep in a bed ...more
Audio CD
Published November 12th 2012 by Penguin Audio

To ask other readers questions about Dear Chandler, Dear Scarlett, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dear Chandler, Dear Scarlett

Matt
Dec 03, 2012 Matt rated it did not like it
Shelves: nonfiction
Mike Huckabee seems to be a decent guy, preaching the values of hard work and self-reliance; how dogs make the best pets and how we have a duty to preserve the environment -- the latter of these in spite of the GOP's general party line. This book walks the fine line between actually being letters to his grandkids and being a book written to his supporters; if you're really going to write letters to your grandkids as future advice, that's a phenomenal idea, but I'm not sure that those things ...more
Philip
Jul 24, 2014 Philip rated it really liked it
I have mixed feelings about this book. On the one hand, I don't think it works particularly well for general consumption. On the other hand, it's not long(3.5 hours on CD) and is an interesting concept to think about. I don't agree with all of Huckabee's opinions, but I do like his expression of them as advice for his grandchildren. In a family, people should be open about what they believe and communicate it clearly to one another. And hearing such things from parents and grandparents can be of ...more
Lisa
Oct 23, 2014 Lisa rated it really liked it
This is really my first and only exposure to Mike Huckabee. He had a definite Christian inclination and perspective to the advice he gave his grandchildren in this book of open letters of advice he wants them to have and to live by. For me his advice was sound and resonated with how I feel. His thoughts on parents, education, work, family and God are things I'd like my children to live by, as well. The only chapter I that really didn't resonate at all was on pets. But he did give a pretty ...more
Pam
Feb 21, 2016 Pam rated it really liked it
Shelves: pam-s-books-2016
Even though I was in the middle of reading 2 other books, a friend shared this with me just over a week ago and highly recommended it. It looked like a quick read so I put the other books on hold and read through this so I could get it back to her. It turned out to be a very easy read filled with a lot of personal stories and views on some core things in life. It made me reflect and think about what would I want to share and leave with my kids/grandkids (if I have any) and tell them is most ...more
Diane
Jan 13, 2013 Diane rated it really liked it
Mike had a few great quotes I loved:

"An education isn't about learning everything you'll ever need to know. It is about learning how to learn. Commencement means beginning. Your education doesn't finish at graduation, it begins."

"A job is only as good as the satisfaction you get from doing it."

"Work is a force that shapes your character and gives you self esteem, which is essential to having a fulfilled and successful life."

"I believe we are hardwired to find fulfillment in our labor, having a j
Malin Friess
Apr 20, 2013 Malin Friess rated it did not like it
Mike Huckabee former Governor of Arkansas and presidential candidate 2008 writes a book to his grandchildren about things that matter most. I like Huckabee and his folksy way about talking about things. The advice on family, God, country, government..comes across I guess as it should (like talking to a grandchild) is condescending, I don't think the format worked. Mike Huckabee's ideas are sound but the writing style was not to be desired by myself.
Kate Berger
Feb 07, 2013 Kate Berger rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. Would love to do something like this for my grandson. The book helped me to learn more about the breath of Mike Huckabee. I found the later chapters more interesting that some of the first. This book will make grandparents think about what they want to pass on to their grandchildren.
Ed Craven
Dec 06, 2014 Ed Craven rated it it was amazing
Mike Huckabee shares insights about life and people with his two grandchildren - Chandler and Scarlett. This book could be read by females and males of most ages. Mike Huckabee speaks from his heart and shares wisdom and insights beneficial to young people as they determine who they want to be as persons and the principles and values that will guide their lives.
Karen
Dec 21, 2012 Karen rated it it was amazing
Great book - written in a very down-to-earth way to Mike Huckabee's two grandchildren - He says many of the things I'd like to say to my grandchildren about country, love, education, and other important aspects of life. Well-written, easy to follow, and humorous throughout.
Amber
Jan 26, 2013 Amber rated it it was amazing
this was a great book that i think is very applicable to daily life. i really enjoyed learning more about mr. huckabee, and several of his advise points made so much sense they are now some of my favorite quotes!!!
Jessica
Mar 29, 2013 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a sweet and well put together book. It makes me not only grateful that my children have wonderful grandfathers like this man, but reminds us how little our children really are and what sweet pieces of advice we as parents should be passing along as well.
Kevin Thompson
This was typical Mike Huckabee. While I do appreciate Huckabee's moderate tone on issues like education and the environment, his theology can use a lot more depth... Overall an enjoyable book full of home-spun wisdom, practical advice and entertaining stories.
Carol
Mar 10, 2013 Carol rated it it was amazing
DEAR CHANDLER, DEAR SCARLETT is a warm and inspirational book. Author, Mike Huckabee, wrote in a simple, refreshing style and conveyed some quite valuable life lessons.
Lara
Apr 25, 2013 Lara rated it it was amazing
Sounds cliche', but I laughed, I cried. Such a sweet book that will be a grandpa's legacy to his grandkids long after he leaves the earth.
Eugene
Jan 19, 2014 Eugene rated it really liked it
Excellent advice to one's grandchildren from a very intelligent grandfather. Mike Huckabee is a great individual and great American. I will be passing on his advice to my grandchildren.
Debbie
May 14, 2015 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a treasure for Huckabee's grandchildren! To be able to read and read again these letters filled with wisdom and love will be priceless to them.
Paul
Jan 15, 2013 Paul rated it it was amazing
Mike Huckabee offers some great words about so many aspects of life. I found it so meaningful.
Katherine
Jan 26, 2014 Katherine rated it really liked it
slight cheat. "Listened to" in the car.
Jill
Sep 16, 2013 Jill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute book.
Pauline Youd
Mar 27, 2013 Pauline Youd rated it liked it
This is a charming book but not much different from what most grandparents would write.
Sherie
Oct 02, 2016 Sherie rated it really liked it
A lovely book by a truly Godly man. He's funny, thoughtful, wise, and genuine. How refreshing!
Betsy Harding
Betsy Harding rated it it was amazing
Sep 17, 2015
Laurel Bartow
Laurel Bartow rated it really liked it
Oct 31, 2014
Jane Ellen Hillis
Jane Ellen Hillis rated it liked it
Apr 03, 2016
Cathi Tinney
Cathi Tinney rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2016
Alta Hayes
Alta Hayes rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2015
Kristina
Kristina rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2015
John D
John D rated it really liked it
Dec 23, 2012
Mark J.
Mark J. rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2015
Bev
Bev rated it liked it
Dec 02, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
American politician and a political commentator for Fox News Channel. A member of the Republican Party,

Huckabee served as governor of the U.S. state of Arkansas from 1996 to 2007 and finished second in the 2008 United States Republican presidential primaries; he announced his candidacy on January 28, 2007. Following losses to John McCain in the Texas, Ohio, Vermont, and Rhode Island primaries, Mc
More about Mike Huckabee...