Start by marking “I'm a Good Dog: Pit Bulls, America's Most Beautiful (and Misunderstood) Pet” as Want to Read:
I'm a Good Dog: Pit Bulls, America's Most Beautiful (and Misunderstood) Pet

I'm a Good Dog: Pit Bulls, America's Most Beautiful (and Misunderstood) Pet

Filled with inspiring stories and photographs, this heartfelt tribute to the pit bull celebrates one of America’s most popular yet misunderstood dogs.

Perhaps more than any other breed, the pit bull has been dogged by negative stereotypes. In truth, pit bulls are innately wonderful family pets, as capable of love and good deeds as any other type of dog. Setting the record
Published October 25th 2012 by Avery

To ask other readers questions about I'm a Good Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I'm a Good Dog

Duchess Nicole
I'm totally and completely and unabashedly biased, and I admit it fully. Still, this book was awesome. The author has an obvious love of the American Pitt Bull/Staffordshire Terrier breed, and he has compiled a list of heartwarming and heartbreaking stories that could turn the hardest of hearts into softies for this misunderstood, mistreated animal. He highlights some of Michael Vick's rescued pitties, of course, and goes on to back his thoughts up with evidence in that the majority of Vick's ...more
Terri Lynn
Dec 16, 2012 Terri Lynn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, dogs
If you love pit bulls like I love pit bulls----- well, then you are one lucky person! I was born into a family of rescuers. My parents rescued dogs, cats, birds, horses, rabbits, farm animals, etc. The farm animals, horses, and rabbits went to my vegan grandparents huge farm where they had a farm animal rescue/sanctuary but the dogs, cats, and birds stayed with us. There were always pit bulls. I was raised with them. When I grew up, I continued the tradition and have known, loved, and trained ...more
Kirsten
Apr 06, 2013 Kirsten rated it really liked it
This is a sweet tribute to pit bulls, most notable for its many lovely photos and firsthand accounts from pit bull owners. At times, Foster falls into a bit of a one-note "BEST DOG EVER" tone, betraying a tendency to think of pit bulls as being not only just as good as other dogs, but somehow superior (this can possibly be forgiven, given the number of pit bulls that have stolen his heart). On the other hand, he does a good job of avoiding or confirming some of the pro-pit bull mythology -- for ...more
James
Dec 26, 2013 James rated it it was amazing
I came across this book by accident in the library. The title and the engaging cover photo lured me in, and it indeed proved a wonderful book. It debunks the myths, hype, lies, and hysteria about Pit Bulls and other Pit Bull-like dog breeds that the media and an ignorant public have circulating for a few decades now, with tragic results.

I know any number of people who ought to read this book, but I'm sure they are so bound to their stupidity on the issue of "dangerous dog breeds" that it's made
Mikki
Mar 06, 2013 Mikki rated it really liked it
A wonderful book about my favorite breed of dog. We bought this book for my mother-in-law for Christmas because she's terrified of pit bull-type dogs, and after reading it, she now understands that pits are just dogs, like any other dog. I can't wait to introduce her to the pittie my husband and I adopt--her first pit bull grandchild! She will love that dog, I just know it!
Debra Daniels-zeller
Nov 24, 2012 Debra Daniels-zeller rated it really liked it
Shelves: dog
If you want to learn more about pit bulls, this book has a lot of great, heartwarming stories. From Michael Vick's rehabilitated dogs to Helen Keller's pit bull, I learned a lot about how many people have had these dogs and how this breed has been demonized in recent decades. Therapy dogs, police dogs and frisbee champions--these stories are sweet and compelling.
Melissa D
Apr 17, 2014 Melissa D rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Ken Foster's text and the collection of gorgeous photos makes this one of my favorite dog-themed books ever. Foster could turn any skeptic into an embracer of this truly misunderstood, smart, sweet, loyal breed. I was fortunate enough to see him speak on his tour for this book, and was so moved and entertained by his stories, many of which are captured here. And just look at that face on the cover. I don't know about you, but I'm in love!
Joshua Hyland
Apr 12, 2013 Joshua Hyland rated it it was amazing
I really liked how this book high-lighted the fact that the Bull breed of dogs are really just dogs, they have the same attributes as other dogs.
My favorite stat from the book, had to the use of Pits as gaurd dogs, they're terrible at this by the way, and Pits are often stolen from the lots they are supposed to be gaurding.
Heather Lynn
Nov 01, 2012 Heather Lynn rated it it was amazing
I'm most likely biased because of my love for pit bulls and Ken Foster, but this book is incredibly well done. It did not take a defensive stand in regard to pit bull myths, but made a good case for itself. It also highlighted many positive stories involving pits, many of which I hadn't heard before. I was very impressed.
Siobhan O'Laoghaire-Sannes
Oct 28, 2012 Siobhan O'Laoghaire-Sannes rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animals
Everyone should read this beautiful book loaded with wonderful pictures. People who love pitties will love the book. People unsure about them will understand. People against them will learn.
Ashley
Nov 27, 2016 Ashley rated it liked it
This book is chock-full of pitbull stories and beautiful pictures of these dogs. It explores how the pitbulls came to be,what makes a pitbull, and why these dogs are so great. It is wonderfully illustrated with captivating photos, and us a must read for any pitbull lover. Now, I have never owned a pittie before, but I did like the idea of knowing more about these dogs. It is a perfect way to quickly gain knowledge and understanding of a gentle,loving dog breed that has been so unfairly ...more
Cayr
Nov 07, 2012 Cayr rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dogs
Ken Foster’s new book, ‘I'm a Good Dog: Pit Bulls, America's Most Beautiful (and Misunderstood) Pet’ is an homage to pit bulls both past and present. Beautiful photos illustrate Foster’s text as he muses about the history of the pit bull terrier, from the dog’s celebrated appearance in vintage advertising and early movies, to the sad state of Breed Specific Legislation (BSL) across the country.

This is a beautiful tribute to a breed often vilified by the media. Foster underscores that there is no
Tasha
Feb 24, 2013 Tasha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dogs, favorites-2013
LOVE, that sums it up. This book is love: the dogs in the pictures are beautiful, the stories are wonderful, the breed is finally getting (back) it's just rewards. Books like this are so in need to restore this lovely dog back to where it once was. YES, pits were once the BELOVED dog of americans! Not the hated, feared breed in recent decades. Random breeds go through a few decades of being the feared outcast...the german shepherd (which I have had 2 and they have both been wonderful, btw), the ...more
Skylar Primm
Apr 17, 2016 Skylar Primm rated it really liked it
This was a fast library read that I really only placed on hold because I saw the cover on Amazon and fell in love. With this book, you absolutely can judge it by the cover. If you're looking for cute pictures of pit bulls and interesting anecdotes from throughout the history of the breed, look no further. (Personally, I'm looking forward to a deeper dive with Pit Bull: The Battle over an American Icon next month.)
Kristina
Mar 07, 2015 Kristina rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
I have an American Staffordshire Terrier and a Pitbull mix. we now think he is pitbull/ german shorthaired pointer mix. They are both under a year old and are both rescue dogs. I loved the pictures and the stories. I actually was reading this book on the couch with both dogs laying on me. I have an 85 pound and 45 pound lap dogs. They look intimidating if you did not know that their form of attack is licking you to death. A nice read on a lazy day.
Becky
May 30, 2013 Becky rated it liked it
Shelves: cats-and-dogs
It's not difficult to see why Pit Bulls have such a bad reputation, but their bad reputation isn't THEIR fault. It's the fault of the humans who choose to use them for selfish reasons. ... On an unrelated note, I didn't know that Bernadette Peters and Helen Keller (possibly) had/have American bull terriers. Fun facts!
Kathleen Huben
Apr 29, 2013 Kathleen Huben rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dogs
In discussing the history of pit bulls, Ken Foster dispels many of the urban myths that surround pit bulls and shows them as the loving pets and friends they can be. If you have ever lived with a pit bull you will love this book - the owner stories are fascinating and the photographs are beautiful.
Dec 10, 2012 Laura rated it it was amazing
I have had pitbulls in my life for the last 15 years and will never be without one (or more). Love the education on the breed. Unfortunately, the people who need it probably won't ever even give it a chance.
Zann
May 26, 2013 Zann rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animal-welfare
A nicely put together book with a variety of info plus wonderful photos. The cover photo is so adorable! That's what first caught my eye and made me want to jump in. The book isn't very long, but worth the read!!
Kristy
Jul 08, 2013 Kristy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dog-lovers
This book is a must read for anyone who loves pitbulls or is deathly afraid of them. This book delivers real world stories of the pitbull breed. Individual stories and photographs included. I loved this book! My next dog is going to be a pitbull rescue...
Jaz
Apr 05, 2015 Jaz rated it liked it
I would recommend this book for anyone thinking about adopting/owning a "pitbull", and individuals who are biased against the breed. Personally, this book repeated a lot of what I already knew, but I enjoyed reading the personal vignettes and looking at the beautiful pictures.
Carissa
Dec 23, 2014 Carissa rated it it was amazing
Very good book. I liked this book so much because it talks about Pitbulls, it's not about just training your pitbull or what to feed it. I've never had a dog before, but I know when I do, it's gonna be a pitbull..
Chelle Folts
Nov 01, 2012 Chelle Folts rated it it was amazing
Just got this in the mail today and read cover to cover in 2 hours. What a lovely tribute to a very misunderstood breed. Both the stories and the photographs are heartwarming. There's a pit bull in my future, and I am looking forward to the magic!
Scott Mcclintic
Jul 04, 2015 Scott Mcclintic rated it it was amazing
full of beautiful pictures and stories of people and their pibbles...and it dispels all the myths surrounding pitbulls

perfect read for the fourth of july....these dogs have a lot of history in our country....from war heros, to service dogs...
Stephanie
Nov 05, 2012 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Awesome book!!!! These are GREAT dogs who are loyal, fun, smart and very loving. Everyone should have one in their life!
Allison Potter
Feb 28, 2013 Allison Potter rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book - beautiful pictures. I'm giving this to my daughter as one of her birthday presents since she has a pit/mix named "Memphis". I had to read it before I gave it to her.
Allison
Jun 29, 2016 Allison rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star
Beautiful and amazing book. I think we still have some work to do with putting the good image of them out in the media like bans on the breed and less news sources talking about negative things.
Lynne
Nov 30, 2012 Lynne rated it it was amazing
Loved!!! Tons of pictures, interesting information, and beautiful stories on the world's most misunderstood dog.
Chelsea
Jun 23, 2015 Chelsea rated it really liked it
This was a beautiful little book singing the praises of pit bulls everywhere. Involving the history and positive characteristics of the pit bull, every hater of the breed should read this book!
Nina
Mar 15, 2013 Nina rated it it was amazing
i can't recommend this book enough! it's very informative and well written and of course the beautiful pictures help.
  • Wallace: The Underdog Who Conquered a Sport, Saved a Marriage, and Championed Pit Bulls-- One Flying Disc at a Time
  • No Buddy Left Behind: Bringing U.S. Troops' Dogs and Cats Safely Home from the Combat Zone
  • Shelter Dogs
  • The Possibility Dogs: What a Handful of "Unadoptables" Taught Me About Service, Hope, and Healing
  • Old Dogs Are the Best Dogs
  • DogTown: Tales of Rescue, Rehabilitation, and Redemption
  • Bad to the Bone: Memoir of a Rebel Doggie Blogger
  • Dog Shaming
  • One Dog at a Time: Saving the Strays of Helmand - An Inspiring True Story
Ken Foster is the author of a memoir, The Dogs Who Found Me, which was a national bestseller. His collection of short stories, The Kind I'm Likely to Get, was a New York Times Notable Book. He is also the author of Dogs I Have Met, a collection of essays, and the editor of two anthologies, The KGB Bar Reader and Dog Culture. His work has been translated into German, Turkish and Arabic, and has ...more
More about Ken Foster...