Start by marking “The Digest Diet: The Best Foods for Fast, Lasting Weight Loss” as Want to Read:
The Digest Diet: The Best Foods for Fast, Lasting Weight Loss

The Digest Diet: The Best Foods for Fast, Lasting Weight Loss

The Digest Diet is a 21-day weight-loss plan based on groundbreaking science and newly discovered foods and habits that help your body to release fat. Reader's Digest sifted through all the weight-loss science to pick the foods, recipes, and habits that truly slim you down quickly and safely. We reviewed cutting-edge nutrition advances and myth-busting articles. We disco ...more
Published October 2nd 2012 by Reader's Digest (first published September 27th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Digest Diet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Digest Diet

John
Jan 21, 2013 John rated it really liked it
My first requirement for a diet is that it should leave me healthier at the end than I was at the beginning. I don’t want to feel nauseated by a powdered drink composed of who-knows-what, or faint from days of thin vegetable soup. When I read about DD’s varied menu based on wholesome nutrient-rich foods, I thought it probably would help, and certainly couldn’t hurt.

The first four days, I most enjoyed the fast release shake. Changing up the fruits provided several great flavors, and the natural p
Kimberly
May 05, 2013 Kimberly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
I've seen several articles in Reader's Digest about the Digest Diet that I decided to read it and see what it is all about. Here is the boiled down version of the plan (you could say it's the Reader's Digest version, yuk yuk):

1. Eat foods that release fat. Examples are Vitamin C, calcium, dairy, protein, monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats (like olives, nuts, avocados), coconut oil, resveratrol (wine), fiber, vinegar, quinoa, honey, and cocoa.
2. Change your environment. Don't sit around, ge
Lacey
Dec 30, 2012 Lacey rated it really liked it
This isn't your run of the mill "diet". It is a healthy lifestyle plan. Whole, real foods...fruits and veggies, lean protein, healthy fats...exercise. Our family already eats like this, but a lot of good principles are given and tips to help you maintain this healthy lifestyle. We've been eating "the plan" as a family with Mom and Dad sticking to it precisely (I have to get more calories since I'm a nursing Mama). Dad has lost 7 lbs in 1 1/2 weeks! I recommend this to anyone who eats processed f ...more
Kanjagirl
Jan 11, 2013 Kanjagirl rated it it was amazing
After trying nearly every diet out there, spending thousands of dollars, and years of utter frustration, this diet finally works! I'm so happy, I lost a size in only 9 days. I'm going to continue. The book is well organized, informative, the advice is logical, and the food is delicious. I am not hungry, I have no cravings. I don't think I have lost "water weight" as some are saying, and I don't think this is a modge-podge of other diets out there at all! Liz just finally got the RIGHT informatio ...more
Debbie
Jun 15, 2012 Debbie rated it it was amazing
I read "The Digest Diet" after seeing information about it in "Reader's Digest." The book was fairly well written and made a lot of sense from a nutrition standpoint, so I started the diet four days ago and have already lost 7 pounds. I am sure that the weight is a least partially water weight, but not all of it. I haven't really been hungry and I feel great! I recommend this book to anyone needing to lose a few pounds and become more healthy. This could be your answer.
Bea Elwood
Dec 26, 2012 Bea Elwood rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After checking it out from the library first I feel this is an actual "get started on the path to healthy eating" guidebook. Not so much a diet but a plan to change some eating habits and start a better relationship with food. I'm going to try it for 3 weeks and see.
Ilona Mustafin
Nov 20, 2012 Ilona Mustafin rated it it was amazing
I'm glad I won this through First Reads. Digest Diet contains tips and plans on lasting weight loss. I cooked a few of the recipes and my favorites were Kale and Chickpea soup with feta. Another favorite is the Tangy Broccoli Slaw. The recipes are healthy and flavorful.
Jenn
Jun 08, 2012 Jenn rated it really liked it

I really like this book. It has lots of small changes that add up to a big difference and some very yummy recipes!
Angela Conway
Not all that helpful
Carol
Jul 17, 2013 Carol rated it really liked it
Great recipes. Pretty much a practical diet. Portions, 3 meals and 2 healthy snacks. Watch the carbos! And yes you do need some fat!
Kika
Dec 17, 2013 Kika added it
This should count as TWO, because I read it in ENglish AND in Spanish. Several times. !!!
Debra
Mar 28, 2015 Debra rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Great foods to eat that reduce fat and a fast exercise routine. Works for me.
Beth
Jan 09, 2013 Beth rated it it was amazing
Very informative. Doesn't sound like a fad diet, but more of a lifestyle change. Love the advice to laugh everyday!
Amanda
Oct 04, 2012 Amanda marked it as to-read
I got this after reading a lot about it in Reader's Digest. I am anxious to start changing my ways and start losing weight!
Peggy Hunter
Good book help my blood sugar go down so I didn't have to take medication. Also Cholesterol and tryglyserides
Lisa
Dec 31, 2013 Lisa rated it did not like it
Eh. I personally don't like shakes and smoothies and this diet is full of them. If someone else likes them, then they'll probably enjoy this.
Kim
Oct 18, 2012 Kim rated it did not like it
Don't waste your money on this book. Of course you'll lose weight because all you do is drink shakes and eat soup. My advice, invest in a low fat cookbook and an exercise DVD.
Gevera Bert
Dec 19, 2012 Gevera Bert rated it it was ok
Don't bother. It's like the author read the back covers of a bunch of popular diet books and shoehorned them together.
Heidi
Heidi rated it liked it
Jul 09, 2015
Ruth
Jun 11, 2013 Ruth rated it it was amazing
Love it. Real food and innovative recipes.
Rebecca Moore
Rebecca Moore rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2014
Cynthia McFadden
Cynthia McFadden rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2014
Marcus
Marcus rated it liked it
Feb 15, 2013
Toni Taylor
Toni Taylor rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2017
Bonita Kennedy
Bonita Kennedy rated it it was ok
Nov 21, 2014
Coco_Chanel
Coco_Chanel rated it liked it
Aug 05, 2014
Caren Nelson
Caren Nelson rated it liked it
Jan 14, 2015
Melisa
Melisa rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2017
Kkm
Kkm rated it really liked it
May 09, 2015
Mohammad Umar
Mohammad Umar rated it it was amazing
Nov 15, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Escalators
  • Coaching Confidential: Inside the Fraternity of NFL Coaches
  • Suburban Haiku: Christmas Special
  • 10 Pounds in 10 Days: The Secret Celebrity Program for Losing Weight Fast
  • Sweet Judy Blue Eyes: My Life in Music
  • Tequila Sunset
  • The Diet Dropout’s Guide to Natural Weight Loss: Find Your Easiest Path to Naturally Thin
  • Steve McQueen: A Biography
  • Clear Cut: One Woman's Journey of Life in the Body
  • Broken
  • God Loves Ugly
  • My Life in Politics
  • Big Butts, Fat Thighs, and Other Secrets to Success: Empowering Women to Be Real in Business and in Life
  • Unconquered: The Saga of Cousins Jerry Lee Lewis, Jimmy Swaggart, and Mickey Gilley
  • Energy Boosters: 3-in-1Collection: Energy Boosters, Fight Fatigue and Herbs for Energy
  • Rise of the Oracle: Night of the Red Sky
  • Dead Wrestlers, Broken Necks & the Women Who Screwed Me Over: A Main Event of Fiction & Photography
  • Killer Cuvee: Walla Walla Valley