Start by marking “Unspoken” as Want to Read:
Unspoken

Unspoken

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,954 Ratings  ·  140 Reviews
The More You Know

The envelope delivered to Shelby Cole's Seattle home contains no return address, just a photograph of a little girl. Shelby knows at once that this is the daughter she was told died at birth. And in that moment, Shelby knows something else: she needs to go back to Bad Luck, Texas.

The More You Tell

She's not the only one coming home. A long-ago killing is i
Published November 27th 2012 by Zebra (first published November 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Unspoken, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unspoken

Janie Johnson
I generally love Lisa Jackson books. I think she is a great writer and one of my faves. She writes great romantic suspense thriller. But this one was just ok for me. The plot was great, but it felt like so much more romance played into this one. And I am not big on romance. It seemed like the book revolved more around a love hate triangle that it did the mystery.

I did not really connect to any of the characters. I thought Shelby, the lead character was ridiculously weak in many areas and I did n
Becky Lynne
Feb 24, 2015 Becky Lynne rated it it was ok
Okay, I'm still reading this book but there are a few things that are really annoying me:
1: for a book written/published in 2012, I can't figure out why the kids are in the front of the pick up truck with no car seats....
2: apparently condoms don't exist or weren't invented yet?
3: why a sheriff would leave his six and four-year-old kids by themselves in a truck while he went into a store to shop...not to mention it was 100+ degrees outside and no A/C
4: chewing tobacco-YUCK! And again, the sheri
Bonnie Randall
Aug 16, 2014 Bonnie Randall rated it it was ok
A picture arrives in the mail and the little girl in the photo is the spitting image of you—but wait! Weren’t you told that your baby died at birth? And was that not 9 long years ago, same age as the moppet in the photo looks now?

Secret babies, hidden ‘deaths’, clandestine adoptions, and a lost love from the past. Sounds like it kicks ass, right?

Well….it kicked my shin a little, but didn’t get so high up as my ass. And I’m short.

Excellent premise, muddy execution. Too many characters. Too many s
Traci
Feb 11, 2013 Traci rated it did not like it
Sample prose: Why was it that she always noticed how all-male he was, how raw and rugged and untamed? Like these dry, wind-blown hills, he was earthy and wild and Texan.

Did you roll your eyes just reading that short paragraph? Imagine how sore mine were after 400+ pages if that drivel. I would have stopped reading...I WANTED to stop reading...but I was trapped in bed with the flu.

When I picked it up at the drugstore along with my prescription, the premise sounded ok: Mysterious envelope arrives
Elizabeth Quam
Mar 23, 2016 Elizabeth Quam rated it really liked it
I love the way Lisa Jackson writes. Although I consider this one of my lazy books, where I don't have to think about what's going on, she still finds a way to keep me interested and wanting to find out how the story ends. Some things were predictable, but I would read this again.
Marie
Feb 25, 2014 Marie rated it it was ok
Earlier Lisa Jackson books are not my favorite, but this was handed to me by a friend right after I had finished the newest Jackson book, so I thought I would give it a go.Although it was a refreshing change from her mountain of books involving a serial killer, it just did not hold my interest much.The contrived, silly romance in it went from 0 to 100 in a matter of pages, which is why I hate romance thrown into my mysteries, and the relationship between father and daughter, which I found much m ...more
Stacy
Jan 20, 2013 Stacy rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2013
Dragged and repetitive, first time I ever skimmed through sections of a book. Glad it was a library loan.
Kat
Jan 26, 2014 Kat rated it liked it
Shelbyflinchum
Jun 02, 2014 Shelbyflinchum rated it it was amazing
This is he best romance novel I've ever read. It is about a girl who got pregnant had her baby, but had to put it up for adoption because her father was the town judge and she was only a teen when she got pregnant. The night she got pregnant was also the night she was raped... She never knew if her daughter she searched for was the man she feel in love withs daughter or the man who raped her. Eventually she found her old summer love and they patched things up again she found her daughter and eve ...more
Samantha
Oct 26, 2015 Samantha rated it it was ok
This had way too much going on in this book. There was, from what I could see, about six things going on and only four I felt were relevant to the story. The other two just felt like something added on to try to make it interesting but, it just felt overwhelming and unnecessary.

It was just so frustrating and there were some inconsistences as well.

First, missing action. One moment, they’re sitting down and then the next moment, they’re reaching for the door.

Second, there was a loud click on the p
Anita
Jul 22, 2014 Anita rated it it was amazing
Unspoken is a really, really good mystery peppered with some known suspects and a lot of unknown. Very well written suspense and very hot romance.

Shelby was 17 when she got pregnant and the father was the man she loved, Neveda, or the man who raped her, Ross. Soon after Ramon Estevan is murdered and Ross is convicted of the crime. Shelby has a baby girl who dies at birth, or did she. Shelby leaves town, vowing never to return.

10 years later the old drunk who claimed he saw Ross in Estevan's Mar
Cgirl
Aug 18, 2013 Cgirl rated it it was ok
The plot to Lisa Jackson's 'Unspoken' never went beyond an interesting premise. The book as a whole was flat in romance, mystery and plausible ending. I never actually believed the supposed intense connection between rich girl Shelby Cole and cowboy Nevada Smith. The relationship between them felt more like the guy friend she used to know versus the man she was madly in love with. Everything about their connection was stock paperback romance of the 90's. The largest aspect of the story is a myst ...more
Lisa
Jan 12, 2013 Lisa rated it liked it
This was my first Lisa Jackson and I was really excited about the book from the synopsis on the back cover. I like when romance books have some mystery behind it. So, I picked it up but I feel like this book went in chunks or a bar graph for me.

At the beginning, the opening sequence was brilliant. I was intrigued by what had happened between Ross and Shelby but wasn't given too much info and while reading it I was wondering if perhaps Ross was indeed innocent. From that point on the book was re
T
Mar 09, 2013 T rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads
Just started this one...thought I'd enjoy it, with its partial setting of Seattle, WA, but don't know...it's not grabbing me right from the start, but could be I'm just not in the mood for it. I've read other Lisa Jacksons that have kept me interested, but maybe that's because I've gotten to know the characters.....Also, this is one of her older books, and perhaps less evolved, although there is a note that she had updated this version/release/edition/whatever you call it.

Finished it....not my f
K. Murphy
Feb 13, 2014 K. Murphy rated it liked it
I have to admit this book wasn't exactly what I was expecting. More romance than mystery but that wasn't really why I didn't rate it higher. I don't mind a good romantic mystery. The truth is I found the romance part a little corny. There were plenty of semi-graphic scenes and yet, I didn't care as much as I think was intended. Even so, I'd be willing to try another book by this writer - especially since I think this was actually an older story she revamped.
Jan 23, 2016 Laura rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelby gets a letter saying her daughter she thought died at birth is alive. At the same time convicted murderer Ross is released from prison as crucial testimony that convicted him has been recanted. Are the two connected? This book could have been half as long if one removed the sexy parts with Nevada Smith, Shelby's former flame. I'm sure this book appeals to many women who like romance with a little mystery. Personally I prefer mysteries with just a hint of romance. It just wasn't my type of ...more
Margeaux
Dec 22, 2012 Margeaux rated it liked it
This was a pretty good. When searching for a quick read I often go with a Lisa Jackson book.

There were a few things that bothered me in this book.

1. Why was Shelby so dead set against Nevada? SHE was the one who ran. For much of the book she talks about trust issues with him and it being a mistake to fall for him. Why? When she flashed backed to the past it was evident that Nevada was a great guy. I was expecting more to the story and felt disappointed. It was almost like it was an avenue Jacks
Kate McMurray
Apr 28, 2014 Kate McMurray rated it really liked it
This book goes to some crazy places, especially in the latter half of an already plotty book when a couple of new subplots are introduced, but I was very entertained by it. It's soapy, not always plausible, and I'm not sure it works that well as a suspense novel since the narrative seems more concerned with Shelby's missing child than anything else going on in the story, but it's fun in a tropey way.
Jane
Mar 29, 2014 Jane rated it liked it
I am reading this now. I usually don't care for stories that have a powerful rich "Daddy" and a troubled rebellious Little Princess daughter. But I already started reading it so might as well continue. This is the author who constantly describes people as having "his jaw slid to the side" or "she slid her jaw to the side". WTF does this stupid phrase even mean? It is so distracting when I am reading her books. I have a talley going so far, of two "jaw slid to the side" comments. I am sure there ...more
Emily Higgins
Shelby Cole returns to Bad Luck, TX looking for the daughter she thought had died at birth. Judge Cole, Shelby's father, isn't talking. The man jailed for a 10 year old murder is released from jail because his accuser recanted his testimony. Shelby's lover from 10 years ago still lives in town. All these story lines are woven together to an exciting ending.
Jan 17, 2016 Jennifer rated it liked it
After seventeen-year-old Shelby Cole regained consciousness after giving birth to a little girl, she was told by her father that her infant daughter had died. Wanting to escape all of the bad memories of her childhood in Bad Luck, TX, Shelby eventually moved to Seattle for a fresh start in life. Ten years have passed, when Shelby receives an envelope in the mail containing a photograph of a little girl, a girl Shelby is positive is her now nine-year-old daughter, a daughter she was told had died ...more
Lynn Balabanos
Dec 16, 2014 Lynn Balabanos rated it it was amazing
This book wasn't perfect. I felt there were some character issues, like the heroine doesn't trust the hero but it's never explained why. However, the mystery was well done and kept me turning the pages which made the any minor deficits of the book easy to overlook. I will definitely be reading more of this author.
Gina
Apr 17, 2008 Gina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not part of a series, a great stand-alone book.

It wasn't hard to figure out Shelby Cole. You learn right away some of her past early on, but 'poor-little-right-girl' she isn't. With a strong spine and a mind of her own, she was going to find her daughter, no matter the danger or who stood in her way.

Nevada Smith... Jackson write him as irresistible, and I couldn't have resisted him any more than Shelby could. Instinct had me believing he was awesome - just the feeling I got when reading his reac
Evelyn
Jul 27, 2015 Evelyn rated it it was ok
This is a mystery story about a missing child that the mother was told had died at birth, and then finds out 9 years later that was a lie. Where is her daughter, why was she lied to, and what does this have to do with the murder of a shop owner? Absolutely nothing as it turns out.....
Or maybe this is just a bodice ripper.
Disappointing.
Sheri faulk
Apr 04, 2016 Sheri faulk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Donna T. Johns
May 04, 2014 Donna T. Johns rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A little predictable

This book is a little predictable, but moves fast and holds your interest. Well described, strong characters. Even though you know the ending of the love interests, there is a surprise twist to solve the mystery.
Debbie
Mar 27, 2014 Debbie rated it liked it
This book is only the second Lisa Jackson book I have ever read. I liked it well enough, but I felt a couple of the characters went on a bit to much. I wanted to shake a couple of them and say get a grip. For a fast read it was fine.
Alasandra Alawine
Jul 06, 2013 Alasandra Alawine rated it did not like it
Very predictable.

Ten years ago Shelby Cole the Judge's daughter fell in love with an older guy Nevada Smith and snuck out of the house to seduce him. The seduction worked and they made passionate love but on her way home she was raped by Ross McCallum. Shelby refused to talk to Nevada and he had no idea what was wrong. When she found out she was pregnant she never told him and the Judge told her the baby was born dead.

Ten years late someone sends her a picture of her daughter very much alive and
Sara
Jun 11, 2012 Sara rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was disappointed with this book. This was the type of book I used to read exclusively but have taken a break to read other styles and genres recently and might have just lost my taste for this.

I found the story didn't flow well and that there was too much filler. There were some interesting elements introduced in the first few chapters, and those were wrapped up quickly and simply in the last few chapters, but the middle half of the book was entirely filler and I really didn't need to read an
Beth
Aug 18, 2013 Beth rated it did not like it
I have read a number of Lisa Jackson stories and have really liked them. Not so much this one. It is a mish-mash of romance, suspense and the character's history. Any one of these themes would have made a great story but the way they were put together doesn't work very well.

The "scary" character is not necessary to the story, the romance is so trite - rich girl, poor guy, neither feeling like they want to become involved for all the worst reasons but "love" gets them. The mean, controlling fathe
  • Outlaw (Medieval Trilogy, #3)
  • Don't Cry
  • Hush
  • Heaven's Rage
  • Hell to Pay (Live to Tell #3)
  • Homesong
  • Sleep No More (Eve Duncan, #15)
  • Casting Stones
  • In the Dark: In the Dark / Person of Interest
  • Ferris' Bluff
  • Dying Scream
  • Penumbra
  • Another Dawn (Coleman Family Saga #2)
  • Spur Of The Moment
  • Dancing with the Ferryman
  • Forever Mine
  • Ribbon in the Sky (Dolan Brothers, #1)

Lisa Jackson is the number-one New York Times bestselling author of more than 85 novels, including Afraid to Die, Tell Me, You Don’t Want to Know, Running Scared, Without Mercy, Malice, and Shiver. She is also the co-author of the Colony Series, co-written with her sister, Nancy Bush. There are over 20 million copies of Lisa Jackson’s books in print in twenty languages.

Before she became a nationa

More about Lisa Jackson...

“Shep started through the intersection when he noticed Nevada Smith’s rig driving past the bank, heading toward the center of town. Nevada was at the wheel, his dog on the” 0 likes