Start by marking “Wealth and Poverty: A New Edition for the Twenty-First Century” as Want to Read:
Wealth and Poverty: A New Edition for the Twenty-First Century
Preview

Wealth and Poverty: A New Edition for the Twenty-First Century

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  143 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Hailed as “the guide to capitalism,” the New York Times bestseller Wealth and Poverty by George F. Gilder is one of the most famous economic books of all time and has sold more than one million copies since its first release. In this influential classic, Gilder explains and makes the case for supply-side economics, proves the moral superiority of free-market capitalism, an ...more
Published August 21st 2012 by Regnery Publishing (first published May 1st 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Wealth and Poverty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wealth and Poverty

Phil
Apr 28, 2008 Phil rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: high school students
This is one of the most solid conservative books ever written. Gilder explains the psychology of wealth and that of poverty. He explains the damage that government poverty programs have done to their recipients and why. Because Gilder goes much deeper than any topical description of where things were when he wrote the book this book is still very relevant. This goes to the basis of how some people can rise from poverty and how others can slide from wealth into poverty. The same is true of entire ...more
Maynard James Keller
You don't have to buy into it or be "converted" - but approach with a semi-open mind and you'll find some provocatively challenging thought here. No political philosophy or economic theory has a monopoly on truth or wisdom.

The world and we are much complicated to be encompassed by any single schema. And note that much of what we call the "left" and "right" have existed since the beginning of human economic societies. There are reasons of balancing each other out involved.

Anyway, Gilder's a uniq
April
I walked away with 2 important impressions. The chapter dealing with taxes on capital gains was illuminating, and the argument that supply creates its own demand is still mulling around in my mind. It's a roller coaster ride for sure. One minute it's interesting, the next boring, then obnoxious, and occasionally truly enlightening. Though dated, it stands up as a classic conservative text.
Michal Leah
Wow. Wow. That is all I can say. This book was devoid of any facts, data, studies. If you enjoy generalizations, assumptions, conjectures, then this is the book for you. If you prefer to look at evidence in order to arrive at a conclusion, there is not one iota of evidence in this book. I read this to try and learn the conservative point of view - I really hope there are better books out there or I will wonder if conservative thinking is based on anything other than what comes out of people's as ...more
Seth
A full-throated moral, philosophical, and practical defense of capitalism. Rather than advocate with reluctance for capitalism, granting critics' charges of its excesses and a supposed foundation of greed, Gilder shows that only a capitalist system will bring true prosperity and growth to all levels of a society.

Gilder argues that the most important element of capitalistic growth and success is the entrepreneur, the person who puts up capital in risky ventures in the hope of a payout. These risk
Joel Zartman
I don’t know why I should go for a book on economics of all things. I am working in a financial services company now, and part of getting ahead there is knowing something about the whole shebang. I saw the Uncommon Knowledge interview with Gilder and found it compelling enough to get to the book, but I am still not sure what it was made me want to read about the dismal science to begin with.

What I found is a book that I’d compare in its effect on me with Collingwood’s The Idea of History. Wealth
Danmcgohan
Mr, Gilder dismisses the controlling economic policies of the Left, offers instead an American vision of a free economy and a prosperous society resting on the pillars of work, faith, and family. Some areas were difficult to follow but overall very understandable.
Bryan
Brilliant! This book is an amazing look at economics and the factors that affect productivity and economies in both positive and negative ways.
Stanley Arthur
His financially conservative concepts are proving to be more relative with the passing of each day.
Harry Jr.
. George is the most visionary in the realm of innovation and progress.
Brian Lyke
Enjoyed the prologue and epilogue (updated in 2012) way more than the rest (early 1980s).
Sally
You may not agree with everything George Gilder believes, but he is thought provoking and challenges many progressive beliefs. Although relatively easy to read and understand, he is a world class economist after all, and you have to work a little to get through this. I promise that if you do, you will come away much better informed about past, recent and future economic drivers.
Chuck Russo
Excellent book, by a true master of the English language. Gilder will challenge your vocabulary, so get the thesaurus or dictionary out... This is a must read for anyone interested in the ideas behind "supply side economics", or just interested in economics.
Craig Fiebig
A singularly important work on the development of economic thought. Prescient when written in 1982. Re-reading it today is a sad commentary on our inability to learn.
Mike
Nov 13, 2007 Mike rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: economic aficienados
Shelves: business
Just paged through this one again and still has relevance. Different world views of "progressives", i.e. liberals and conservatives are just as stark now as ever.
Peter
Read this many moons ago. It among others made me think, and explore ergo the youth matures into a free-market thinker.
Ruth Ann
"The key error of socialism is its attempt to guarantee the value of things but not the ownership of them."
Michelle
Jay is making me read this over the summer as a challenge and to prove i am open-minded. (ugh)
Ariadna73
Here is an abstract of the book in my scribd shelf: http://bit.ly/15HunOu
Gary Morris
Eye opening and something to come back to often.
Annie
Annie marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Dom De Bellis
Dom De Bellis marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Patrick Peterson
Patrick Peterson marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Keith McCauley
Keith McCauley is currently reading it
Apr 01, 2015
  • Money, Greed, and God: Why Capitalism Is the Solution and Not the Problem
  • The Tragedy of American Compassion
  • Ideas Have Consequences
  • The Ruling Class: How They Corrupted America and What We Can Do about It
  • The Financial Crisis and the Free Market Cure: Why Pure Capitalism Is the World Economy's Only Hope
  • Losing Ground: American Social Policy, 1950-1980
  • Knowledge And Decisions
  • The Conservative Mind
  • The End Is Near and It's Going to Be Awesome: How Going Broke Will Leave America Richer, Happier, and More Secure
  • The Victory of Reason: How Christianity Led to Freedom, Capitalism, and Western Success
  • Free to Choose: A Personal Statement
  • Explaining Postmodernism: Skepticism and Socialism from Rousseau to Foucault
  • Who Really Cares: The Surprising Truth About Compasionate Conservatism Who Gives, Who Doesn't, and Why It Matters
  • The Way the World Works (Gateway Contemporary)
  • Life at the Bottom: The Worldview That Makes the Underclass
  • The Constitution of Liberty
  • How Capitalism Saved America: The Untold History of Our Country, from the Pilgrims to the Present
  • Meltdown: A Free-Market Look at Why the Stock Market Collapsed, the Economy Tanked, and the Government Bailout Will Make Things Worse
The Israel Test Knowledge and Power: The Information Theory of Capitalism and How it is Revolutionizing our World Men and Marriage TELECOSM: How Infinite Bandwidth will Revolutionize Our World Microcosm: The Quantum Revolution in Economics and Technology

“The risk-bearing role of the rich cannot be performed so well by anyone else. The benefits of capitalism still depend on capitalists. The other groups on the pyramid of wealth should occasionally turn from the spectacles of consumption long enough to see the adventure on the frontiers of the economy above them - an adventure not without its note of nobility...” 0 likes