Start by marking “Girls Get Curves: Geometry Takes Shape” as Want to Read:
Girls Get Curves: Geometry Takes Shape

Girls Get Curves: Geometry Takes Shape

New York Times bestselling author and mathemetician Danica McKellar tackles all the angles—and curves—of geometry

In her three previous bestselling books Math Doesn't Suck, Kiss My Math, and Hot X: Algebra Exposed!, actress and math genius Danica McKellar shattered the “math nerd” stereotype by showing girls how to ace their math classes and feel cool while doing it.

Published August 2nd 2012 by Hudson Street Press

To ask other readers questions about Girls Get Curves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Girls Get Curves

Gretchen
Aug 01, 2012 Gretchen rated it it was ok
*Warning...I got a little ranty towards the end....

This was an extreme challenge for me to read as Geometry is my least favorite of the math subjects. Part of my reason for reading this was to find new and interesting ways to wrap my head around the concepts.

I did get some new ways to help with proofs. Using "if...thens" to create the links needed will help greatly when trying to teach proofs. I also came out with a better understanding of indirect proofs.

My struggle appeared probably a third
Heather
Feb 13, 2014 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: go-girls, ya, math, nonfiction
Danica McKellar, actor (The Wonder Years) and mathematician, gives geometry a unique feminine spin
in this must-have math reference book. In addition to being a rock solid resource for struggling
geometry students, McKellar’s goal seems to be to help readers see the value of geometry in their
everyday lives. To achieve this, she uses objects and situations from teen girls’ lives—like lipstick,
crushes, and shopping—to illustrate various concepts. Emphasizing the benefits of detuctive reasoning--
John Orman
Mar 10, 2013 John Orman rated it really liked it
Actress and mathematician Danica McKellar is best known to me as Winnie Cooper on The Wonder Years TV show. Bright and pretty, but very elusive for the Kevin Arnold character.

Danica has written several books intended to get girls and women interested in science and mathematics. In this book, Ms. McKellar takes on Geometry specifically. Loaded with circles and triangles, the book includes many theorems and their proofs, in an easy-to-understand format that served as a refresher on my own high sch
Sally Cripe
Jun 03, 2016 Sally Cripe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very helpful. I was able to relearn geometry in order to help my daughter with her homework. Between this book, Khan Academy and YouTube, I learned what I needed. Danica has a great way of explaining concepts, and of reminding you of underlying concepts that she explained in previous chapters. The format of this book was quite appealing. I don't think my 16 year old had as much patience to learn from Danica as I did, but having her read a small excerpt explanation worked when I could not verbali ...more
Chris
Sep 17, 2012 Chris rated it really liked it
If only I had this book available to me when I was actually taking math classes in high school. The topics were addressed at a level that made them comprehensible and paralleled them with ideas that had relevance to the average young lady. I especially liked that there were examples with answers to check your understanding and work.

This book and the others by Danica would be on my list of recommendations for anyone seeking help with comprehending basic mathematics.
Brandy Spielman
Mar 29, 2016 Brandy Spielman rated it liked it
I'll be perfectly honest, I'm marking this as read though I admittedly only made it about halfway. I enjoyed geometry in high school, and when I saw this for $1, I thought why not? The author does a great job explaining the concepts, but as a grown women, the silly girlishness got to me eventually. I can see teenage girls who don't love math loving this book though.
Kesha
Jul 25, 2013 Kesha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Danica is a genius and the means in which she explores and exposes the geometric concepts is very plain and helpful. I love the fun way she introduces the complex notions with fun real-life scenarios that will peak learners interests. Fantastic read that could aid students from high school through college level.
McKinleyL
I love this series because it relates many topics teenage girls go through with math subjects that will interest you. This series has helped me with advancing in harder geometric problems and relate to problems I use everyday.
Elizabeth
Nov 17, 2012 Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Shelves: npr, mathematics
As heard on the NPR Books podcast.
Autumn
Dec 22, 2016 Autumn rated it really liked it
I wish really hard that Miss McKellar could be my math teacher. Sigh...
Mary
Jul 08, 2014 Mary rated it it was amazing
Shelves: school-books
Love how she makes math simple for girls. Will be another book that I want to own for girls.
Mary Haggerty
The Wonder Years girl wrote this, remember Winnie?
lili-anne
lili-anne rated it it was amazing
Mar 19, 2015
Margery
Margery rated it liked it
Aug 10, 2015
Nazly
Nazly rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2016
Tae
Tae rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2013
Phuong
Phuong rated it it was amazing
Jun 01, 2014
Tatum Wright
Tatum Wright rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2016
Mercedes
Mercedes rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2014
Julie
Julie rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2013
Bailey
Bailey rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2013
Melissa
Melissa rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2017
YoonHo Joung
YoonHo Joung rated it it was amazing
Oct 24, 2015
Mary Powell
Mary Powell rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2014
Megan
Megan rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2015
Ally
Ally rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2014
Jasia Sajed
Jasia Sajed rated it liked it
Dec 15, 2012
Kelly
Kelly rated it liked it
Nov 20, 2015
Juliett Aguero
Juliett Aguero rated it did not like it
Aug 24, 2014
Ashley
Ashley rated it it was amazing
Sep 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • What's Your Angle, Pythagoras? A Math Adventure
  • You Can Count on Monsters
  • Making the Grades: My Misadventures in the Standardized Testing Industry
  • The Fallacy Detective
  • Sir Cumference and the First Round Table
  • Exploring Creation with Biology
  • Astronomy: Out of This World!
  • Maths in Minutes: 200 Key Concepts Explained in an Instant
  • Under a Red Sky: Memoir of a Childhood in Communist Romania
  • What Your 6th Grader Needs to Know: Fundamentals of a Good Sixth-Grade Education (Core Knowledge Series)
  • Saving the School: The True Story of a Principal, a Teacher, a Coach, a Bunch of Kids and a Year in  the Crosshairs of Education Reform
  • Theres a Sheep in My Bathtub: Birth of a Mongolian Church Planting Movement
  • Freedom Summer: The 1964 Struggle for Civil Rights in Mississippi
  • Mathematicians Are People, Too: Stories from the Lives of Great Mathematicians, Volume 1
  • The Seventeenth Swap
  • The Geometry of Pasta
  • Amelia Rules! Volume 5: The Tweenage Guide to Not Being Unpopular (Amelia Rules! #5)
  • What's Math Got to Do with It?: Helping Children Learn to Love Their Least Favorite Subject--and Why It's Important for America
American actress and mathematician.

She is best known for her role as Winnie Cooper in the television show The Wonder Years.
Now she is known as author of the nationally bestselling book, Math Doesn't Suck, which encourages and empowers middle-school girls with mathematics know-how.
Math Doesn't Suck was so popular McKellar wrote more novels about math, including Kiss My Math and Hot X. She also wr
More about Danica McKellar...