Start by marking “Girls Get Curves: Geometry Takes Shape” as Want to Read:
Girls Get Curves: Geometry Takes Shape

Girls Get Curves: Geometry Takes Shape

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  78 ratings  ·  9 reviews
New York Times bestselling author and mathemetician Danica McKellar tackles all the angles—and curves—of geometry

In her three previous bestselling books Math Doesn't Suck, Kiss My Math, and Hot X: Algebra Exposed!, actress and math genius Danica McKellar shattered the “math nerd” stereotype by showing girls how to ace their math classes and feel cool while doing it.

Sizz
Published August 2nd 2012 by Hudson Street Press

To ask other readers questions about Girls Get Curves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Girls Get Curves

Heather
Danica McKellar, actor (The Wonder Years) and mathematician, gives geometry a unique feminine spin
in this must-have math reference book. In addition to being a rock solid resource for struggling
geometry students, McKellar’s goal seems to be to help readers see the value of geometry in their
everyday lives. To achieve this, she uses objects and situations from teen girls’ lives—like lipstick,
crushes, and shopping—to illustrate various concepts. Emphasizing the benefits of detuctive reasoning--
Gretchen
*Warning...I got a little ranty towards the end....

This was an extreme challenge for me to read as Geometry is my least favorite of the math subjects. Part of my reason for reading this was to find new and interesting ways to wrap my head around the concepts.

I did get some new ways to help with proofs. Using "if...thens" to create the links needed will help greatly when trying to teach proofs. I also came out with a better understanding of indirect proofs.

My struggle appeared probably a third
John Orman
Actress and mathematician Danica McKellar is best known to me as Winnie Cooper on The Wonder Years TV show. Bright and pretty, but very elusive for the Kevin Arnold character.

Danica has written several books intended to get girls and women interested in science and mathematics. In this book, Ms. McKellar takes on Geometry specifically. Loaded with circles and triangles, the book includes many theorems and their proofs, in an easy-to-understand format that served as a refresher on my own high sch
Mary
Love how she makes math simple for girls. Will be another book that I want to own for girls.
Chris
If only I had this book available to me when I was actually taking math classes in high school. The topics were addressed at a level that made them comprehensible and paralleled them with ideas that had relevance to the average young lady. I especially liked that there were examples with answers to check your understanding and work.

This book and the others by Danica would be on my list of recommendations for anyone seeking help with comprehending basic mathematics.
Kesha
Danica is a genius and the means in which she explores and exposes the geometric concepts is very plain and helpful. I love the fun way she introduces the complex notions with fun real-life scenarios that will peak learners interests. Fantastic read that could aid students from high school through college level.
Elizabeth
Nov 17, 2012 Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Shelves: npr, mathematics
As heard on the NPR Books podcast.
Mary Haggerty
The Wonder Years girl wrote this, remember Winnie?
Joan Jacyno
combining math a girlly stuff is just awesome
ProcrastiReader
ProcrastiReader marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Thea
Thea marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Jennifer Faythe
Jennifer Faythe is currently reading it
Apr 27, 2015
Melinda Jamros spada
Melinda Jamros spada marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Luis
Luis marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Jasmine
Jasmine marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Mckenna
Mckenna marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Jennifer Fey
Jennifer Fey marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
lreader
lreader marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Vikky Kitchen
Vikky Kitchen marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Ruby Ray
Ruby Ray marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
Yayan
Yayan marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
Carilu
Carilu marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
Anne  L
Anne L marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • What's Your Angle, Pythagoras? A Math Adventure
  • Sir Cumference and the First Round Table
  • You Can Count on Monsters
  • What Your 6th Grader Needs to Know: Fundamentals of a Good Sixth-Grade Education (Core Knowledge Series)
  • Mathematicians Are People, Too: Stories from the Lives of Great Mathematicians (Volume One)
  • Under a Red Sky: Memoir of a Childhood in Communist Romania
  • Astronomy: Out of This World!
  • A Parent's Guide to Gifted Children
  • Saving the School: The True Story of a Principal, a Teacher, a Coach, a Bunch of Kids and a Year in the Crosshairs of Education Reform
  • The Geometry of Pasta
  • Amelia Rules! Volume 5: The Tweenage Guide to Not Being Unpopular (Amelia Rules! #5)
  • Blockhead: The Life of Fibonacci
  • What's Math Got to Do with It?: Helping Children Learn to Love Their Least Favorite Subject--and Why It's Important for America
  • The Man of Numbers: Fibonacci's Arithmetic Revolution
  • The Flat World and Education: How America's Commitment to Equity Will Determine Our Future
  • Secrets, Lies, and Algebra (Do The Math, #1)
  • Drama High: The Incredible True Story of a Brilliant Teacher, a Struggling Town, and the Mag ic of Theater
  • The Year of the Beasts
American actress and mathematician.

She is best known for her role as Winnie Cooper in the television show The Wonder Years.
Now she is known as author of the nationally bestselling book, Math Doesn't Suck, which encourages and empowers middle-school girls with mathematics know-how.
Math Doesn't Suck was so popular McKellar wrote more novels about math, including Kiss My Math and Hot X. She also wr
More about Danica McKellar...
Math Doesn't Suck: How to Survive Middle-School Math Without Losing Your Mind or Breaking a Nail Kiss My Math: Showing Pre-Algebra Who's Boss Hot X: Algebra Exposed Archie: The Wedding Volume 1