Southern Charm: A Novel

Southern Charm: A Novel

3.18 of 5 stars 3.18  ·  rating details  ·  637 ratings  ·  122 reviews
Southern girl Minty Davenport always dreamed of skyscrapers, yellow cabs, and a life like Eloise's in New York City. So upon graduation from college, she bids adieu to Charleston and makes a beeline for the Big Apple. Almost instantly, she finds herself at an event being photographed for Women's Wear Daily, and her career as a New York society "It Girl" is launched.As Mint...more
Audio CD
Published May 1st 2012 by Tantor Media (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Southern Charm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Southern Charm

Helene
(This review was originally published on helenesworldofbooks.blogspot.com)

Chick Lit books have been disappointing for me lately. Somewhere half way this book I thought I would just give up on the genre, because it almost made me cry in frustation.
It started out pretty good. I love the cover, which is always a good start! I know, it's a bit shallow, but a pretty cover is nice. The beginning of the story was also enjoyable. It was comparable to Devil Wears Prada, one of my favorite Chick Lit's! B...more
Lauren
I'll confess: I'm a sucker for glittery novels written by socialites: Plum Sykes, Bridie Clark, you name it! So when Tinsley Mortimer's debut arrived, I was ecstatic, I've read about her in Vogue, I love her style, and I wanted a peek into her (fictional) life. "Southern Charm" did not disappoint - it's just as fun, frothy, and girly as I imagine Tinsley herself is! I loved this fashionable read with heart!
Amberalba Dawn
Questo è uno di quei libri che mi lascia piuttosto perplessa. Tirando le somme, penso che questo romanzo non vada molto al di là della sufficienza. La storia potrebbe funzionare, soprattutto pensando come target un pubblico molto giovane. Ci sono tanti elementi che potrebbero far ingolosire. Tutta la vicenda si sviluppa attorno al mondo della moda e degli eventi mondani nella New York bene e questo, da che mondo è mondo, può solo che produrre un contesto accattivante. Se poi mettiamo in conto ch...more
Ozma
Such a fun cupcake of a book! I love chick-lit based in NYC that is all about the glamorous life, like fashion, shopping etc. When I heard that Tinsley Mortimer had written a book, I knew it would be up my alley! I ordered it immediately from Amazon. To my delight, the book did not disappoint. Not only is it a fun story filled with classic New York characters (and some whom you will try to guess as to the real identity), but it is actually well written! If Tinsley wrote it herself, my hats off t...more
Stacy
Minty Davenport is a southern debutante trying to make her way into the fashion industry in New York. Fate on her side, she runs into a sorority sister and from there she is launched into society as the next “It Girl.” Add in a dash of society gossip mayhem, high-end fashion and an overindulged, spoiled guy and you have the recipe for a slightly underwhelming cute book.

This book had a couple of great elements, for one the author. Tinsely Mortimer knows the New York society scene, so an air of a...more
Allison
Highly predictable and extremely unimaginative, this autobiography, veiled as a novel, is trying--at best. Readers would be better off spending a few minutes skimming Mortimer's Wikipedia page in combination with three pages of a fashion magazine than spending the hours it took to read this waste of time.

Mortimer painstakingly attempts to lovingly describe her southern-belle-transplant-in-NYC life, but fails horribly to include any iota of charm. Props, though, to Mortimer's editor for choosing...more
Tracy
I freely admit I picked up this novel of a southern belle who moves to NY after breaking up with her boyfriend largely b/c of the author, a well known NYC socialite. The book was somewhat predictable, but I liked the characters, even though they were somewhat archetypal. Where the book fell a little flat for me was the ending. One storyline ended but there could have been a little more punch to it. Still, a fast summer beach read.
Randy Briggs
Absolute dreck. Socialite "authors" should take a tip: while describing every designer accoutrement in the book may bump up the word count, it does not fill out the plot AT ALL. this 'novel' contained every cliche ever invented for "Southern Girl makes good in the big City". Don't waste your money. I gave it one star only because I didn't know if it was possible to not give it ANY.
Tanya Marie
Enjoyable, fun, fluffy read! If you fancy chick lit, fashion, southern traditions, and the allure of New York's fashion industry, then you'll surely fancy this book. Some of the romance was a bit hurried and I felt the main character, Minty, was so young, at 22, to even consider hooking up with Tripp ... but do read, book has style!
Serena!
Non mi è piaciuto
Scorrevo la presentazione del libro e l'occhio traditore mi è caduto su "Gossip girl". Ecco, dire che ho un debole per GG sarebbe parlare per eufemismi.. Amo, adoro, impazzisco per Gossip Girl. E quindi mi sono ritrovata a leggere questo libro, speranzosa che lo specchietto delle allodole che era stato piazzato rivelasse un minimo di sostanza e non fosse solo fumo. Insomma, ecco, ero consapevole che mi stavo cacciando in una trappola, ma non ho voluto ascoltare la parte raziona...more
Leonel

I had to look up who Tinsley Mortimer was after reading her book, "Southern Charm." I knew she was some kind of socialite, but never really paid much more attention to her. On Wikipedia her entry seems to be very similar to the plot of the book, so I don't know if she wants people to think that this book a thinly-veiled autobiography of her life. I have to say it starts out well, but very quickly I started to find a lot of things I didn't like about the bo...more
Samantha Janning
I received a copy of Southern Charm by Tinsley Mortimer in exchange for an honest review. Let me start off by saying – loved it! I was totally engrossed in the story from page 1, and never lost my enthusiasm throughout. From the cover, the plot, descriptions, even names of characters, this book had it all. A favorite chick lit book of mine for the year, most definitely.

Southern gal Minty Davenport has been obsessed with New York since a little girl in her Eloise-obsessed days. After graduating...more
Gilly
Amo alla follia il film ‘Il Diavolo veste Prada’ e i telefilm ‘Sex and the City’ e ‘Gossip Girl’ … vederli perciò scritti sulla presentazione di questo romanzo è stato un richiamo troppo forte perché io potessi resistere … come il canto di una sirena che porta a sé i marinai!

Adesso che ho terminato la lettura non so da che parte farmi per recensirlo. Mi aspettavo una storia completamente diversa.
Il romanzo è molto carino e all’inizio ricorda vagamente il Diavolo veste Prada, specie per come trat...more
Roberta
Minty ha 22 anni, è nata e cresciuta a Charleston e dopo la fine della sua storia sente il bisogno di cambiare vita e si trasferisce a New York. Nella Grande Mela Minty avrà l'occasione di trovare la sua strada, ma non mancheranno le delusioni e soprattutto diverrà vittima del gossip newyorkese!

Sognando Park Avenue è una commedia romantica dal retrogusto amaro, un viaggio nella New York del lusso sfrenato, dei vip, della moda e dei grandi eventi.
La trama non è molto coinvolgente e forse un po'...more
Blake16
RECENSIONE IN ANTEPRIMA

Romanzo leggero e senza alte pretese, “Sognando Park Avenue” approderà in Italia il prossimo 18 Aprile.
Ho letto questo romanzo nel giro di pochi giorni, avrei impiegato anche meno ma c’era un piccolo, piccolissimo particolare… era in eBook… già, quindi dovevo sottostare alle regole del mio delizioso tablet e smettere di leggere quando diceva lui e non io.
Togliendo queste piccole quisquilie, il romanzo delle Mortimer si legge con facilità… be’, forse con molta facilità.
E,...more
Previously reviewed on
www.simplylowcountry.blogspot.com

I am truly a sucker for a cute book! And this book was no exception to that rule. I'm not sure whether it was because the main character in this book is from Charleston, SC or because the cover was amazing, or perhaps it's because it was written by Tinsley Mortimer, but it was such a great read!

There is a whole sloppy mix of reviews on this book, some bad and some good, but mine is a good one. Promise! I feel as though someone looking for a...more
Ilaria
Sognando Park Avenue è un romanzo che già dal titolo si presenta molto bene: per chi come me sogna New York da sempre, leggere di Park Avenue, del rinomato Plaza e della frenetica vita della Grande Mela è sempre un piacere!
Il libro ci racconta la storia di Minty, una tipica ragazza del Sud, che dopo una delusione d'amore, decide di inseguire il suo sogno di trasferirsi a New York e di lavorare nel campo della moda...
E nella città in cui tutti i sogni si avverano, Minty riesce a trovare il suo...more
Adriana Munno
Recensione di "Sognando Park Avenue" di Tinsley Mortimer a cura di Adriana Munno (adriana*)
La vita di una principessa delle fiabe, può migliorare? Sì, diventando regina, con tutti i pro e i contro che ne derivano.
Questa è la storia di Minty, giovane ereditiera ventitreenne neo laureata che arriva a New York con il sorriso sulle labbra e il sogno di “vivere” la moda.
Carina, spiritosa e piena di brio, la dolce Minty affascina con la sua semplicità e con il suo dinamismo. Allegra e capace di vive...more
Valery Beauchamp
Io ho un animo romantico, e come tutti gli animi romantici speravo in un romanzo una storia d’amore avesse un minimo di spessore rispetto alla trama. Purtroppo in “Sognando Park Avenue” questo manca, o meglio, ha un ruolo così marginale che mi ha letteralmente deluso.

La storia ruota intorno alla bella Minty, patita di moda e attratta dalle scintillanti luci di New York! Dopo la laurea decide di lasciare la casa materna per vivere in questa sua “città speciale”, New York appunto, e di lavorare n...more
AntKathy
A quick, breezy, and easy read, "Southern Charm" by Tinsley Mortimer tells the tale of a whirlwind relocation to NYC from Charleston for Minty Davenport, a PBP and Southern belle deb. A bit like "The Devil Wears Prada", Minty quickly lands a job as an assistant to PR maven to the fashion world, Ruth Vine. "Ruthless", as she is known by her employees, is demanding and unyielding in her expectations of perfection in the workplace from Minty, who is not accustomed to the fast, frenetic pace of NYC...more
Lauren
A cute and quick read, I finished this book in two days. I honestly didn't know who the author was when I picked up this book at a used book sale. But even after finding out that she is a socialite in real life didn't take away any quality of they book. Definitely recommend to anyone who is looking for just a fun book to read and allows you to escape into the world of New York elite society.
Alyce Rocco
I hesitated to check Tinsley Mortimer's novel Southern Charm out of library, because I am not big on fairy tale romances. Yet it had promise: southern girl moves to the big city to pursue a dream career in the fashion industry.

More apt description would be high society Southern Belle quickly joins NYC high society. Author spends more time describing what people are wearing than developing characters.

Minty is frustrated after a few weeks with no job offers. Yet there is no description of her sit...more
Jodie
Laura Beth
This was Mac 1.0 (from KM Moning's Fever series, also great) lands in Devil Wears Prada. It was a fun, superficial read that took under three hours. Pretty Southern deb tries her hand in big bad "New Yawk Sit-tay" with an interesting cast of characters. You really only get to know Minty (main character) and the rest are pretty flat; you can't tell who's for real and who's not - which is likely because naive Minty can't either. Darby was easily my favorite character in the entire book; wish she'd...more
Amy
When this book came out back in May, a few sources were able to get the author to clarify that she used not a ghostwriter, but a "friend," to help her write. Both appear to have become bored with the project part of the way through-- the detail drops off at about the halfway point, and one is left wondering near the end what on earth she does with the gift Chihuahua when she flounces back home.

This is more or less an autobiography attempting to explain the author's behavior and choices over the...more
Stefani
When Gossip Girl meets The Devil Wears Prada

I realized why when I read the authors bio on the back cover. She appeared in the GG TV show. Apparently she's a socialite. Ok, so she lives in that world. She knows how things work there. But doesn't mean she can write a I understand if that maybe inspired this book. But to me it just feels like a copy.

Pretty much the only thing I liked about this book was the setting. NYC is like my favorite place in the world.

I actually got rid of my copy. I don...more
Supraja
This book with us or disappointment. I really wanted to like it and I tried quite hard to do that. I got through the first two chapters and struggled to go on before giving up.
Liza
Definitely along the lines of the Shopaholic series, in that her "business" life revolves around fashion - she becomes a purse designer and NY socialite.

Minty, a smart southern belle who decided to follow her dreams of becoming part of the fashion industry in NY. She runs into an old flame (Dupont), rekindle their romance and get married at City Hall in a rush. Now he hasn't stopped his philandering (as far as she knows and cares) and runs home to N.C.

In N.C. she realizes she is still in love wi...more
Rachel
I picked up this book because it had "Southern" on the spine. And then the girl on the cover, while unfortunately blonde, had on a fabulous dark pink dress with gorgeous strappy heels, so I took it home. I started to read it, knowing it would be a fluffy chick lit book, and realized it seemed very familiar. I flipped the book to look at the author bio, and there was this annoying "society celebrity" right there staring at me. I'd become slightly obsessed watching her show on Hulu, and now she'd...more
Lilia
This would have been a fun beach read but I read it before our vacay. I liked the fact that the author is from Richmond, VA, where I live, and I can easily get sucked into a romance book. Her writing was light and lively and I really needed it after the bookclub selection, The Language of Flowers, by Vanessa Diffenbaugh. Whew, that really took me through a lot of emotions.

I also liked the idea of a Southerner going up North and a young woman trying to make her way in the world...and New York's...more
  • Love and Happiness
  • Enchanting Lily
  • Grits (Girls Raised in the South) Guide to Life
  • Cooking Up a Storm
  • The Lucky Dog Matchmaking Service
  • Forget Me Not
  • Tal: A Conversation with an Alien
  • A Proposal for Christmas: State Secrets\The Five Days of Christmas
  • Reflection Point (Eternity Springs, #6)
  • Renewed: Finding Your Inner Happy in an Overwhelmed World
  • The Perfect Manhattan
  • Plague in the Mirror
  • More Than You Know
  • Dear Lucy: A Novel
  • The Recipe Box
  • Iron Lace
  • The Book of Peach
  • Starstruck (Fame Game, #2)
Southern Charm: A Novel The Park Avenue Diet