Deadly Aim (Angel Delaney Mysteries, #1)

Deadly Aim (Angel Delaney Mysteries #1)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  1,540 ratings  ·  182 reviews
Patricia Rushford kicks off a thrilling new crime series set in the cozy coastal hamlet of Sunset Cove, Oregon. Featuring determined police officer Angel Delaney, the first episode is sure to have armchair sleuths turning the pages as fast as they can to discover whodunit? When a police shootout results in the death of a 12-year-old boy, Officer Angel Delaney is blamed, co...more
Published April 1st 2004 by Fleming H. Revell Company (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Deadly Aim, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deadly Aim

Michele Crimson
This book was listed as a Mystery but I think the mystery became lost in the harlequin style romance and excessive faith references. Nowhere was it stated that this was a religious/Christian based book but it was VERY clear that the author was using the fiction forum to push god. Everywhere there was a faith/religious angle the story faltered and fell off track. I think the author may want to take a moment and decide what exactly she wants to write and once she decides, market the book that way....more
Tamara
I just finished, AS GOOD AS DEAD, the third book in the Angel Delaney Mysteries by Patricia Rushford. What a great read! I thoroughly enjoyed all three books. The action, suspense, twists and turns, it had it all. Add that with a little romance and you have yourself a wonderful book filled with intriguing characters and fascinating plot lines.

Book one, DEADLY AIM, follows Angel Delaney as she struggles to deal with the death of a kid that she's shot in a gang related robbery, she begins to quest...more
Traci Shipley
Predictable. Except for . . . what kind of idiot decides to propose on the night that your intended has just shot a kid in the line of duty. Who would except a proposal under those circumstances. I didn't mind the reference to religion/faith but they did seem forced or out of place at times. The romance part was way to convenient.
Casey Rock
This was a good quick read but at times felt unnecessarily complicated. Almost like the author was trying to make the plot more complex than necessary with details and side plots that didn't add value to the overall story. It was still enjoyable and good for an after work, commuter train read!
Julie
What surprised me most about this book is that I actually finished reading it. I did consider marking it DNF, more than once, and I can't even explain why I didn't. If I had, it would get one star, not two.

It's not much of a mystery. I had the identity of "Duke" figured out before I hit the halfway mark. The few red herrings tossed in swam weakly, then floundered.

It's not suspenseful, either. It moves at a snail's pace, primarily because there's TMI about just about anything that has nothing wha...more
Michael McManus
I don't want to say too much about this book. I feel it was overly complicated with too many murders and too many unresolved relationships. This is supposed to be a series, and maybe the author is laying the groundwork for several story lines, but I don't feel that is the way a series should start. This book did not make me turn pages. It did not give me warm and fuzzies about any of the characters - not even the Italian mother, although she was the only sympathetic character in the story. All o...more
Leanne
I like the story. I like the characters. I believe the plot is well thought out and well developed. What I don't like is the "evangelizing" the author uses her characters to do. It is obviously not just her character's spiritual journey we are seeing. Nearly each time a character contemplates God, religion, scripture etc. the storyline hits a small jag. The religious journey of the characters could be depicted in a much more fluid (and less obviously witnessing) way.

I hope book two has a more de...more
Carrie (ICanHasBooks?)
A nice little suspense/mystery with a smidgen of romance. I was impressed with the outcome, not who I was thinking.
Rick Bylina
The "quiet" town of Sunset Cove, Oregon has supplanted Cabot Cove, Maine as the murder capital of America by the end of Patricia H. Rushford's "Deadly Aim". This romantic, mystery novel with a sprinkling of religious overtones follows Officer Angel Delaney as she is dragged through an internal investigation after she shoots a 12-year-old boy during a failed pharmacy hold-up. He dies. Then things get really nasty after the body count piles up as the Drug Overlord starts to cover his tracks and th...more
Cheryl Landmark
Overall, a pretty good read with lots of action, suspense, mystery and family dynamics. There were definite Christian and religious overtones but I didn't find it overly preachy.

Strong, likeable characters made the book very enjoyable. Angel, the main character, was tough and feisty but she certainly had her human foibles as well, experiencing vulnerability, doubts and uncertainties about herself, her family, her religion and her career choice. I also really liked the tough, but caring cop, Call...more
Glenajo
The story opens as Angel Delaney, a police office, and her partner arrive on the scene of a pharmacy robbery in progress. Angel chases the robbers out of the rear of the pharmacy, confronting one in a darkened warehouse. After the robber raises a gun, Angel shoots and realizes that he is a kid. When the boy dies, Angel's world falls apart, with the media and the boy’s relatives attack her and accuse her of being a racist.

This is an exciting, enjoyable mystery romance with a Christian theme. The...more
Michelle Woods
Title: Deadly Aim
Author: Patricia H. Rushford
Pages: 320
Year: 2004
Publisher: Revell
Angel Delaney is a cop who takes one hit after another. She doesn’t get shot, but she is forced to shoot when a teenage boys aims a gun at her. When the media and local groups start bashing her, not only is her world turned upside down, so is her apartment.
Callen Riley is the detective that must look the case over and try to figure out what all went on, and who the other guys were that got away. Was Angel set up?...more
Connie Bernhardt
Deadly Aim an Angel Delany Mystery has it all. The starting pages have a pharmacy robbery with a big shootout. Angel shoots down a young black boy who aims a gun at her. Now Angel must face an internal investigation into the matter but that is only the very beginnings of her problems.

This book has many plots and twist and turns. I love that in a book and Patricia Rushford has done a wonderful job of that here. I must admit I did not figure out who did it. I really had someone else pegged. I don...more
Tracy Mcallister
I enjoyed this book from Patricia Rushford. Angel Delaney is a wonderful character. She struggles with her demons as we all do from time to time. I thought the development of all of the characters was really excellent. Her mother, Anna is great. You can smell her cooking as you read the pages. I love when that happens. This was an excellent crime mystery that I did not solve on my own (almost, but not quite) so I'm happy to say that it kept me guessing until the last few pages. I would definitel...more
Trayc Tooley-foskett
I enjoyed it. well, I enjoyed it as much as one can enjoy a book with what seemed like a murder at every turn. I read this soon after the SPU shooting and the day after the Reynolds High shooting, so I was already overwhelmed with the evil in this world. What others called "evangelizing" I called encouragement to remember the truth. As for the story itself, I agree with every other review that said the proposal on the same day of the shooting was nuts, but in defense of the plot, he did say he w...more
Abigail
I didn't like this book, and here's why:

(view spoiler)...more
Cheryl
Very good mystery with just the right amount of romance, this book held my interest from the beginning. Angel is a strong but also vulnerable woman who after a deadly force situation involving a twelve year old must try to prove her innocence while confronting new and old personal demons. The rest of the characters are very well developed and the twists in the plot make for a mystery to almost the end read. I will probably read the next in this series.
Lynda Kelly
This wasn't for me. It was very, very repetitive, I found, and I got quite annoyed with it. A shame as I was banking on reading the series. I gave up on page 78 so did give it a chance. Angel, the title character let her answer machine pick up once too often for me as well!
However, I will say there were no mistakes which earned an extra star as that always impresses me these days of the reading-by-Kindle experience.
Craig D
I suppose it's part of the drama of a good mystery, but I was amazed at how much trouble Angel Delaney could walk into. Over and over and over, she seemed to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Good news? She didn't do it. :) I didn't see the ending coming. My guesses were totally wrong the entire time. Good story. Good writing. I'd be willing to read more in the series.
Catherine Leggitt
Just found a new author--well, new to me. Patricia H Rushford has written many books. Deadly Aim is the first in the Angel Delaney Mysteries series and the kind of good reading us mystery buffs adore. Lots of suspense and action. Twists abound. I didn't guess who-done-it until just before the reveal. Okay, I really never did guess. Good writing.

Angel Delaney is a detective just like her father. A lot of the story revolves around her relationship with her father, in fact. With a degree in counse...more
Carrie Bray
I enjoyed this book quite a bit the romance was a bit strange but I kept guessing at the killer till the end. It leaves an opening for the second book while still finishing the story line. I will read the rest of the series when they get cheap enough.
Kristan

Good story line, but there are some odd culinary ramblings and other writing oddities. Story had loads of good twists and turns, but writing just fell a bit flat to me.
i can't believe i finished this book. i downloaded this off a freebie list just to have in the event i was stuck w/out a new book to read. what a waste of time. i'd have been better off not reading anything.

the author includes too much inane information (do i care that angel delaney put on a mock turtleneck and pair of jeans to go somewhere? no.) and there were too many murders for this "small town." not to mention the idiotic decisions most of the characters made. i won't be reading any more b...more
Debbie
"Deadly Aim" is a romantic suspense/mystery. It is the first in a series, but it reads like a stand-alone. The story was very suspenseful as things just kept getting worse and worse--emotional trauma, physical danger, and a series of murders of which people were quick to suspect her guilty. I didn't see how the author was going to turn things around. The characters were interesting, complex, and acted realistically. However, some evidence was used even after circumstances where it could potentia...more
Penny
Heroine re-finds faith in murder pot boiler

Angel is a small town police officer in her hometown near Portland,Oregon, living close to her Irish-Italian family. She is struggling to believe in God after a close friend was killed trying to save children at a school. Angel has tried all her life to please her father although some of those attempts have left her psychologically damaged, giving her particular difficulty around using her gun.
After her partner and herself respond to a robbery in progre...more
Barbara
When police officer Angel Delaney shoots and kills a 12-year-old boy during a robbery, she is forced to deal not only with her conscience but also with the ensuing legal and racial ramifications. Throw in her relationship with her cop dad, her going-nowhere relationship with her boyfriend, the new attraction to the handsome cop investigating her case, and the people trying to kill her and we've got a lot to keep us interested.

This was overall a good mystery even though the ending was a bit pred...more
Elaine
Angel is an Oregon police cop who had to cope with defending herself after having been charged with the slaying of a 12-year-old boy, in the line of duty. Did she shoot One shot or three shots? Angel couldn't recall the tragic scene and so had to suffer until with the help of family and Detective Riley, she could put together all the pieces and find out what truly happened that terrible day.
A book I couldn't put down, well written and good plot. Highly recommend it!
Douglas Cook
Excellent mystery. I really like the strong female detective - Angel Delaney. Hope to read about her again.

First paragraphs
Mist rolled gray and thick over the small coastal town of Sunset Cove, Oregon. Perfect weather for what needed to be done. Ordinarily he left it up to his manager to oversee the operations. But not tonight. Well, morning actually. It was nearly 3: 00 A.M. Though he’d worked with the same crew for over a year, he didn’t trust them, any of them. He’d gotten word that one of hi...more
Geoff Southan
Guilt,Lies,Quick to judge,Romance

Guilt,Lies,Quick to judge,Romance

This book has it all,but also,strong family and with all this happening,it keeps you engrossed.
Our heroine has so much in her life, self defence shooting,multiple murders,bombings,drugs.Marriage proposals, switching boyfriends.More twists than a rollercoaster.
betsy cadle depaul
A perfect Book

I liked this book because of the human interest elements, the morals, and the religious element. The book was not predictable and I want to like the characters,which I did. I could not figure out the murders so it kept me guessing and the book was believable. I think my Christion friends would enjoy it. I really liked it.
  • Deadly Stillwater (McRyan Mystery Series, #2)
  • Back on Murder (A Roland March Mystery, #1)
  • Cooking the Books (Sloane Templeton Mysteries #1)
  • Murder on the Mind (Jeff Resnick, #1)
  • Secrets (The Michelli Family Series #1)
  • Dying To Get Published (Jennifer Marsh Mysteries, #1)
  • Vigilante (Vigilante, #1)
  • The Betrayal (Precinct 11, #2)
  • Irreparable Harm (Sasha McCandless, #1)
  • The Last Call (Bill Travis Mysteries, #1)
  • Clearwater Journals
  • Death Will Get You Sober (Bruce Kohler, #1)
  • Progressive Dinner Deadly (A Myrtle Clover Mystery #3)
  • Love Me If You Must (Patricia Amble, #1)
  • Let Us Prey (Gotcha Detective Agency Mysteries, #1)
  • The Profiler's Daughter (Sky Stone Thriller Series)
  • I Shall Not Want (The Psalm 23 Mysteries, #2)
  • False Pretenses (Secrets of Roux River Bayou, #1)
Patricia H. Rushford, a long time author and speaker, has extensive experience in writing and has authored fifty books, both fiction and non-fiction with sales of over a million copies. In addition to having a nursing degree and masters in counseling, she is also an artist and quilter.

The Jennie McGrady Mysteries for young adults have sold well over 500,000 copies. Silent Witness won the Silver An...more
More about Patricia H. Rushford...
Dying to Kill (Angel Delaney Mysteries, #2) Too Many Secrets (Jennie McGrady Mysteries, #1) As Good as Dead Without a Trace (Jennie McGrady Mysteries, #5) Silent Witness (Jennie McGrady Mysteries, #2)

“front of Billy, waving their guns back and forth like twin Rambos. A barrage of bullets pelted the metal shelves and the floor where she’d been standing. He’d set her up. She scrunched into a ball and covered her ears. No! Not again. The shooting stopped. Angel raised her head, relieved none of the officers” 0 likes
“Mist rolled gray and thick over the small coastal town of Sunset Cove, Oregon.” 0 likes