Start by marking “Feminist Ryan Gosling: Feminist Theory (as Imagined) from Your Favorite Sensitive Movie Dude” as Want to Read:

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  441 Ratings  ·  69 Reviews

What started as a silly way for blogger Danielle Henderson and her classmates to keep track of the feminist theorists they were studying in class quickly turned into an overnight sensation. Since its launch in October 2011, the Feminist Ryan Gosling blog has close to 30,000 followers and more than 3 million page views per month.
In this hilarious book based on the wildly po
Published August 14th 2012 by Running Press (first published August 7th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Feminist Ryan Gosling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Feminist Ryan Gosling

Vonia
What is there to say? Handsome pictures of Ryan Gosling. An admirable actor, but an even more admirable look. Obviously, there is nothing of serious quality in this coffee table title. But do we care?????....

Marianne
Jan 20, 2015 Marianne rated it liked it
Shelves: feministy-faves
Not bad. 3.5 stars.
I know people say that feminists don't have a sense of humor, but this can be used as evidence against that. These jokes are steeped in theory, and do a somewhat decent job of highlighting intersectionality.

Highlights:
"Hey girl. Yeah, but when he said "Breastfeeding in public is offensive," was the crew from Punk'd standing behind him?"
"Hey girl. I believe Foucault's theory of marriage is a governmentally developed tool that interferes with the appropriation of land rights and
Abenet
Oct 08, 2014 Abenet rated it it was amazing
The quotes were great, but the images are really what makes this a 5 star book.

"Hey Girl. I mean grrl."
Leslie Kent
Dec 20, 2012 Leslie Kent rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012-so-far
Completely biased review. Got as Xmas gift from friend who knows me and those hey girl pictures. Oddly enough Gosling is not my favorite celeb crush. Those hey girl things just make me laugh so much. He is up there on the list though. This book is what started the hey girl craze. They're actually much more witty and intellectual which makes sense as the author who came up with them is mastering and teaching gender and women's studies. I still like any of the memes but this book was extra sassy.
Marsha
Nov 05, 2015 Marsha rated it it was ok
I’m not the biggest fan of Mr. Gosling. No, scratch that. I’m no fan of him at all. I’m not swayed by his bland, pretty-boy looks or his modest acting career. The notion that a woman crafted a blog around him and that thousands of people became absorbed in it (Really? Did they have nothing else to do?) is rather laughable.

Her reasons for choosing him, of all the actors and actresses out there, are rather flimsy: He loves his mother and speaks well of his girlfriends. Wow, that’s it? That’s what
Selwa
Mar 09, 2016 Selwa rated it it was ok
Shelves: humor, feminism
I thought I would like this more, though in retrospect, I wasn't as familiar with the tumblr as I thought I was (which sounds weird, doesn't it? What I mean is that I had never visited the tumblr but saw enough images floating around that I thought were from the tumblr.).

This is what I was expecting, tbh:

Courtney
Dec 04, 2014 Courtney rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Hey Girl. Ryan Gosling here. Just wanted to be your co-pilot in feminist philosophy and theory. I’ll start with “We can’t smash the patriarchy without the right tools.”

This little book will make people interested in Feminism smile. Each page features an attractive photograph of actor Ryan Gosling, with a witty and sometimes scholarly one-liner related to feminist theory. Bold women, smart people, and people who want stress relief after finals week will enjoy this quirky book created by Danielle
Melanie (Moviemavengal)
Aug 17, 2012 Melanie (Moviemavengal) rated it it was amazing
If you've read the tumblr, you've read this book, and it's still hilarious. Bought this book for my sister's birthday and it's a fun read. Price was right, too.

My personal favorite - "Hey girl. I'm pretty psyched for the chance to make a movie that passes the Bechdel Test."
Vivian
Dec 27, 2012 Vivian rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Leah
Recommended to Vivian by: Pooks
Shelves: theory, humor
This is funny. With references to Derrida, Lacan, Butler, Chicago, Grier and a plethora of theorists and activists this is smart and the tongue in cheek bites just hard enough.
Kayla Cagan
Oct 25, 2013 Kayla Cagan rated it really liked it
Totally goofy and fun. The copy and the photos match well. Recommend with a glass of wine.
Nick
Sep 04, 2013 Nick rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Loved it :D
Turns out feminism and Ryan Gossling are a match made in heaven <3
Áine
Jan 25, 2013 Áine rated it it was amazing
My only disappointment is that she didn't include the Lord Grantham one.

Quotations:

There's no way to tell if Ryan Gosling is
Kat High
Apr 16, 2016 Kat High rated it it was amazing
Oh, it's feminism and Ryan Gosling. Of course it's good. Sure, it could be gibberish and Ryan Gosling and still be good, but the feminism is just icing on the cake, you know? It's hilarious. And if you're in the midst of studying feminist theory, I would suggest reading it over for memorization purposes. Or just because: Ryan Gosling.
Idyll
Jul 30, 2015 Idyll rated it liked it
This book is very becoming. :) A graduate student decided to have fun with learning feminist theories by juxtaposing dense feminist text with Ryan Gosling's photos. What's not to love?
Shelby
Sep 11, 2013 Shelby rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lady-problems
Feminist Ryan Gosling is brilliant. My one critique is that it is a bit academic for an "everyday audience" (but I suppose that is a critique of feminism in general). However, if you have an academic feminist in your life, the giggles will come pouring in. Example: *Picture of Ryan Gosling holding a flower*

"Hey Girl, I know how Judith Butler feels about subverting the dominant paradigm and rejecting the naturalization of heteronormativity...but I got you this flower."

This is my "coffee table bo
Rachel
Oct 05, 2014 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Cute and adorable coffee table book. Heck, I might even put it on my shelf at work.
Autumn
Oct 18, 2012 Autumn rated it liked it
Ryan Gosling is targeted as the modern day advocate for women's rights. Feminist Ryan Gosling links Gosling to feminist theories and gets the best "Hey Girl" lines from the blog with the same name.

I thought the "Hey Girl" lines were amazing. They were fun, cute, and sensitive. My favorite was "Hey Girl. Hilary Clinton might have spent the past thirty years being a leading figure in advocacy for women and children, but with intelligence like that, she's also my No. 1 choice for right-hand lady in
melydia
Jan 17, 2016 melydia rated it really liked it
Hey Girl. I didn't get all the references, but I got a few good chuckles.
Rhea
Dec 26, 2014 Rhea rated it really liked it
Funny and feminist.
Christina
Nov 15, 2013 Christina rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
This funny little book makes the perfect coffee table addition. I currently display it on mine in my home and when I have friends over they almost always pick it up. Its equal parts funny, smart, and political- just like the cover leads you to think.

No matter what page you flip to, you're sure to learn something new. Its definitely a book women's studies majors get all the jokes for- I know I didn't get them all (I'm an English major). That being said, its worth it for the photos- all of which
Plainjane
Jan 24, 2014 Plainjane rated it it was amazing
For some reason I didn't think this was a picture book. It is. But it's still great.
Dray
Dec 26, 2013 Dray rated it really liked it
Christmas gift from my sister in law...she knows me well. A couple favorites:

"Hey girl. You've torn down the yellow wallpaper of my soul."
and
"Hey girl. The post-feminist fetishization of motherhood is deeply rooting in classism, but I still think we'd make cute babies."

Definitely recommended as a gift for the feminist who can make fun of him/herself.
Destiny
Jan 08, 2014 Destiny rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, ebooks
I checked this ebook out from my local library. It's fun and I had heard of most of the stuff in it. It's not really confusing but it doesn't go into detail or anything but it gives you the gist of the theories. Pretty nice.
Samantha
Jan 06, 2013 Samantha rated it it was amazing
I received this as a Christmas gift from my best friend and I will cherish it forever. As a Ryan Gosling fan I was familiar with the blog and was glad to see some of the best entries included in this book. I'm so glad that this exists in print. It's hilarious, entertaining, and witty. I also learned a lot since there were feminist figures and references that I wasn't familiar with and decided to look up.
Mills College Library
817 H4963 2012
Jesse
Dec 01, 2013 Jesse rated it really liked it
I have to say that I'm partial to the librarian "Hey, Girl"s, but I found some of these quite funny, too. Those referencing Harry Potter, Friday Night Lights, Gilmore Girls (though she spelled Lorelei incorrectly!), Star Wars, and Amy Poehler were my personal favorites and the ones I had to share with anyone around me. Also, the dedication is the best one I've ever seen.
Mary
Dec 20, 2012 Mary rated it it was amazing
Hey, Girl,
This had me laughing in between lustful thoughts. Read the meme writer's (Can she really be called a writer? I'm not sure.) introduction to understand her purpose. Even though designed to educate the reader in feminist theory, the book is just like a collection of cat memes. Except, of course, for Ryan Gosling.
Kelly
Jan 06, 2013 Kelly rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2012
Finally--a book about feminism that dudes can understand. Too many pictures of some pretty boy called Ryan Gosling, though.

This is a visionary book. Colleges around the country are revising their syllabi to include this as a must-read text for all entering freshmen, whether or not they're gender studies majors or pre-law.
Kelsey
Got this as a christmas present from my sister. Some of the pages were funny, some of them, lauding people like Tina Fey and Joss Whedon, annoyed me. I also don't really know why you would buy this when it's online, but whatever. It was a fine gift.
Carolyn
Dec 03, 2012 Carolyn rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
I'm not even a big Ryan Gosling fan or even that familiar with his movies, but this was FUNNY! It's hard to imagine ANY guy saying most of these things and the complex feminist theory comments just pushed this over the EDGE!
  • The Maternal Is Political: Women Writers at the Intersection of Motherhood and Social Change
  • 50 Jobs in 50 States: One Man's Journey of Discovery Across America
  • Pirate Princess
  • Bitter Medicine: A Graphic Memoir of Mental Illness
  • At the Root of This Longing: Reconciling a Spiritual Hunger and a Feminist Thirst
  • Amelia to Zora: Twenty-Six Women Who Changed the World
  • That Takes Ovaries!  Bold Females and Their Brazen Acts
  • Women and Authority: Re-Emerging Mormon Feminism
  • We Don't Need Another Wave: Dispatches from the Next Generation of Feminists
  • Twitter Wit: Brilliance in 140 Characters or Less
  • Why Have Kids?: A New Mom Explores the Truth About Parenting and Happiness
  • Single State of the Union: Single Women Speak Out on Life, Love, and the Pursuit of Happiness
  • Suri's Burn Book: Well-Dressed Commentary from Hollywood’s Little Sweetheart
  • One Dimensional Woman
  • Defiant Daughters: 21 Women on Art, Activism, Animals, and the Sexual Politics of Meat
  • Bearing Witness: A Zen Master's Lessons in Making Peace
  • Cheap Amusements: Working Women and Leisure in Turn-of-the-Century New York
  • Loba

“Normally when I tell people I'm a gender studies major, they look at me like I'm studying Sanskrit or Latin. But now, NOW I had something to show my family, to possibly convince them that one day I would be employable. Look! People still like feminism! Or maybe they just really like Ryan Gosling's face. But they're getting that face with a dose of feminism! Like it or not.” 1 likes
“There's no way to tell if Ryan Gosling is actually a feminist; feminism is a serious business, and something you have to come to on your own terms. He hasn't actually said anything in this book. But he is charming, talented, and intelligent; he has said some things in the media that can be construed as feminist. He loves his mom and takes ballet. He has nice things to say about the women he dates. It's not too far-fetched, right?” 1 likes