Start by marking “Feminist Ryan Gosling: Feminist Theory (as Imagined) from Your Favorite Sensitive Movie Dude” as Want to Read:

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  341 ratings  ·  62 reviews

What started as a silly way for blogger Danielle Henderson and her classmates to keep track of the feminist theorists they were studying in class quickly turned into an overnight sensation. Since its launch in October 2011, the Feminist Ryan Gosling blog has close to 30,000 followers and more than 3 million page views per month.
In this hilarious book based on the wildly po...more
Published August 14th 2012 by Running Press (first published August 7th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Feminist Ryan Gosling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Feminist Ryan Gosling

Marianne
Not bad. 3.5 stars.
I know people say that feminists don't have a sense of humor, but this can be used as evidence against that. These jokes are steeped in theory, and do a somewhat decent job of highlighting intersectionality.

Highlights:
"Hey girl. Yeah, but when he said "Breastfeeding in public is offensive," was the crew from Punk'd standing behind him?"
"Hey girl. I believe Foucault's theory of marriage is a governmentally developed tool that interferes with the appropriation of land rights and...more
Abenet
The quotes were great, but the images are really what makes this a 5 star book.

"Hey Girl. I mean grrl."
Leslie Kent
Completely biased review. Got as Xmas gift from friend who knows me and those hey girl pictures. Oddly enough Gosling is not my favorite celeb crush. Those hey girl things just make me laugh so much. He is up there on the list though. This book is what started the hey girl craze. They're actually much more witty and intellectual which makes sense as the author who came up with them is mastering and teaching gender and women's studies. I still like any of the memes but this book was extra sassy.
Melanie (Moviemavengal)
If you've read the tumblr, you've read this book, and it's still hilarious. Bought this book for my sister's birthday and it's a fun read. Price was right, too.

My personal favorite - "Hey girl. I'm pretty psyched for the chance to make a movie that passes the Bechdel Test."
Vivian Archer
Dec 27, 2012 Vivian Archer rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Leah
Recommended to Vivian by: Pooks
Shelves: theory, humor
This is funny. With references to Derrida, Lacan, Butler, Chicago, Grier and a plethora of theorists and activists this is smart and the tongue in cheek bites just hard enough.
Kayla Cagan
Totally goofy and fun. The copy and the photos match well. Recommend with a glass of wine.
Nick
Loved it :D
Turns out feminism and Ryan Gossling are a match made in heaven <3
Áine
My only disappointment is that she didn't include the Lord Grantham one.

Quotations:

There's no way to tell if Ryan Gosling is...more
Amadéa Marie
The "hey girl" posts that are all over the Internet are hilarious. There are some pretty good ones in here. There are some eh ones in here. Fun to look through but not my favorite.
Shelby
Feminist Ryan Gosling is brilliant. My one critique is that it is a bit academic for an "everyday audience" (but I suppose that is a critique of feminism in general). However, if you have an academic feminist in your life, the giggles will come pouring in. Example: *Picture of Ryan Gosling holding a flower*

"Hey Girl, I know how Judith Butler feels about subverting the dominant paradigm and rejecting the naturalization of heteronormativity...but I got you this flower."

This is my "coffee table bo...more
Rachel
Cute and adorable coffee table book. Heck, I might even put it on my shelf at work.
Autumn
Ryan Gosling is targeted as the modern day advocate for women's rights. Feminist Ryan Gosling links Gosling to feminist theories and gets the best "Hey Girl" lines from the blog with the same name.

I thought the "Hey Girl" lines were amazing. They were fun, cute, and sensitive. My favorite was "Hey Girl. Hilary Clinton might have spent the past thirty years being a leading figure in advocacy for women and children, but with intelligence like that, she's also my No. 1 choice for right-hand lady in...more
Christina
This funny little book makes the perfect coffee table addition. I currently display it on mine in my home and when I have friends over they almost always pick it up. Its equal parts funny, smart, and political- just like the cover leads you to think.

No matter what page you flip to, you're sure to learn something new. Its definitely a book women's studies majors get all the jokes for- I know I didn't get them all (I'm an English major). That being said, its worth it for the photos- all of which...more
Plainjane
For some reason I didn't think this was a picture book. It is. But it's still great.
Dray
Christmas gift from my sister in law...she knows me well. A couple favorites:

"Hey girl. You've torn down the yellow wallpaper of my soul."
and
"Hey girl. The post-feminist fetishization of motherhood is deeply rooting in classism, but I still think we'd make cute babies."

Definitely recommended as a gift for the feminist who can make fun of him/herself.
Destiny
I checked this ebook out from my local library. It's fun and I had heard of most of the stuff in it. It's not really confusing but it doesn't go into detail or anything but it gives you the gist of the theories. Pretty nice.
Kelsey
Got this as a christmas present from my sister. Some of the pages were funny, some of them, lauding people like Tina Fey and Joss Whedon, annoyed me. I also don't really know why you would buy this when it's online, but whatever. It was a fine gift.
Samantha
I received this as a Christmas gift from my best friend and I will cherish it forever. As a Ryan Gosling fan I was familiar with the blog and was glad to see some of the best entries included in this book. I'm so glad that this exists in print. It's hilarious, entertaining, and witty. I also learned a lot since there were feminist figures and references that I wasn't familiar with and decided to look up.
Jesse
I have to say that I'm partial to the librarian "Hey, Girl"s, but I found some of these quite funny, too. Those referencing Harry Potter, Friday Night Lights, Gilmore Girls (though she spelled Lorelei incorrectly!), Star Wars, and Amy Poehler were my personal favorites and the ones I had to share with anyone around me. Also, the dedication is the best one I've ever seen.
Mary
Hey, Girl,
This had me laughing in between lustful thoughts. Read the meme writer's (Can she really be called a writer? I'm not sure.) introduction to understand her purpose. Even though designed to educate the reader in feminist theory, the book is just like a collection of cat memes. Except, of course, for Ryan Gosling.
Kelly
Finally--a book about feminism that dudes can understand. Too many pictures of some pretty boy called Ryan Gosling, though.

This is a visionary book. Colleges around the country are revising their syllabi to include this as a must-read text for all entering freshmen, whether or not they're gender studies majors or pre-law.
Carolyn
I'm not even a big Ryan Gosling fan or even that familiar with his movies, but this was FUNNY! It's hard to imagine ANY guy saying most of these things and the complex feminist theory comments just pushed this over the EDGE!
Julie
This book is the most satisfying blend of humor, feminist theory, and pop culture possible. It is perfection. Also, I really want Ryan Gosling to read a few of these passages aloud while on 'The Daily Show.' Double perfection!
Betty
Henderson had me at "hey girl..." The site was bewitchingly amusing and it's nice to have the posts off-line in a collection. It's a wonder what watching "Drive" and feminist studies can inspire.
Josh
A friend of mine lent me this. I'm not the biggest Ryan Gosling fan, nor do I have anything against him, but I do like the idea of him being a feminist.
stephanie
2.5

some of them made me smile. tumblr alone has much better ones that makes me laugh out loud -- and they're not usually the feminist ones.
Now if only there was a Ryan Reynolds version! Have to love those Canadian men of Irish-Scottish descent, seriously. (Married one myself so I know!)
Brittany Nicole
Too cute. & then there's the book. I'm a fan of "hey girl"-isms. This made me laugh. A perfect pick-me-up to keep on your work desk!
Kayla Eklund
I hated this book. I'm not sure why I picked it up, because I really don't enjoy the meme. it just wasn't funny at all.
  • The Riot Grrrl Collection
  • The Will to Change: Men, Masculinity, and Love
  • The Maternal Is Political: Women Writers at the Intersection of Motherhood and Social Change
  • Sisterhood, Interrupted: From Radical Women to Grrls Gone Wild
  • Twitter Wit: Brilliance in 140 Characters or Less
  • Feminism and Pop Culture
  • Click: When We Knew We Were Feminists
  • Why Have Kids?: A New Mom Explores the Truth About Parenting and Happiness
  • Amelia to Zora: Twenty-Six Women Who Changed the World
  • The Madame Curie Complex: The Hidden History of Women in Science
  • One Dimensional Woman
  • What You Really Really Want: The Smart Girl's Shame-Free Guide to Sex and Safety
  • Enough Rope
  • Cheap Amusements: Working Women and Leisure in Turn-of-the-Century New York
  • Everyday Sexism
  • Excluded: Making Feminist and Queer Movements More Inclusive
  • Bachelor Girl: The Secret History of Single Women in the Twentieth Century
Tales from Fish Camp Icon

“Normally when I tell people I'm a gender studies major, they look at me like I'm studying Sanskrit or Latin. But now, NOW I had something to show my family, to possibly convince them that one day I would be employable. Look! People still like feminism! Or maybe they just really like Ryan Gosling's face. But they're getting that face with a dose of feminism! Like it or not.” 1 likes
“There's no way to tell if Ryan Gosling is actually a feminist; feminism is a serious business, and something you have to come to on your own terms. He hasn't actually said anything in this book. But he is charming, talented, and intelligent; he has said some things in the media that can be construed as feminist. He loves his mom and takes ballet. He has nice things to say about the women he dates. It's not too far-fetched, right?” 1 likes