Start by marking “Upcycling Celebrations: A Use-What-You-Have Guide to Decorating, Gift-Giving & Entertaining” as Want to Read:

3.08 of 5 stars 3.08  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Don't just recycle, Upcycle!

Now every party and holiday of the year can be an opportunity to create things that are fun, uncomplicated, eco-friendly, and budget conscious. Eco-lifestyle expert Danny Seo shows how to take ordinary things (bottles, plastic bags, tennis balls, old plates) and magically transform them into festive decorations and one-of-a-kind gifts. So whethe
Published September 4th 2012 by Running Press (first published September 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Upcycling Celebrations, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Upcycling Celebrations

Tamara
A few fun crafts, like old light bulbs and champagne cork cages being turned into hot air balloons.

But mostly, this was definitely a book about upcycling and NOT a book about eco-friendly crafts. Using 200 new chopsticks to make one trivet? Really?

The thing with upcycling is that it often ignores the "reduce" part of the three R's. You really shouldn't have 50 bars of hotel soap that you can turn into soap confetti. You really shouldn't have 100's of plastic bags that you can turn into party b
Amy Adams
When I picked up this book, I thought it was going to be crafts and decorating ideas that relied completely on upcycled materials. I also thought it was going to help me take crap laying around my house and transform it into something beautiful and new. However, many of the ideas required you to pick up supplies from a craft or home improvement store. And none of them left me with that "Wow! I can't believe this was ever a piece of trash!" feeling.

The instructions are written in a paragraph for
Stacy
I enjoy crafting and prefer to use materials found around the house. My daughter, who is 9, is a huge crafter. Keeping her in new supplies would be expensive and wasteful. But, I can give her a book like this and she will have beautified a dozen things by the end of the week. I love that these projects require few pieces and have three steps or less.

I haven't made it yet, but I plan to try a citronella locket when summer stuff hits the shelves and I stock up on candles!!
Niadwynwen Koch
Someone upcycle this book! Because its just a piece of trash. With the exception of the Halloween chapter, there's nothing in here I would ever want in my home. Did you know that you can cover coat hangers with felt to make felt covered coat hangers? Did you know that you can use plastic bags to make ugly plastic bag-like gift wrap? Or that Starbucks cups can be used to make crappy vases? If so, no need to read this book.
Krista
I've read other books by Danny Seo and I remember feeling the same way. I love some of the projects (branchlers, citronella pendent, watch pendent, tie dye wrapping paper) but most of them seem silly (plastic ware tulips, banners etc.). My overwhelming feeling when reading the projects (the instructions seem very thorough) is that it's not upcycling if you reuse one token item but purchase the rest of the required tools.
Marilyn
This book got me really thinking for our TIki TOur party. The ideas he had really inspired me to think of new ideas that suited the theme. Because he uses simple methods for the crafts everything is do- able.
Ella
Upcycling is great, but I didn't like most of the ideas in this book. There were two or three ideas that I liked, but a lot of them weren't very cute and didn't seem worth the effort or supplies to make them.
Yessy Kim
Simple crafts

Simple crafts

This book has great and simple ideas that can be done in a few minutes to a few hours, simply awesome.
Allie
Most of the projects were not very innovative. The book has some decent craft ideas though, especially crafts for children.
Justin
I love the creativity in this. Some of the projects I probably won't do but they have given me some ideas of my own.
Shannon
There are some really cool ideas in this book that I can't wait to make use of. There are also plenty of "eh" ideas that might fit someone else's aesthetic sense and supply closet better than mine. All of the directions seem pretty straightforward and easy, but to really test them out I'll just have to make something. Will update soon. :)
Marcia
Danny Seo is my hero, and this is another great craft book filled with upbeat, upscale, upcycling.
This series is well designed and fun. All of the projects are so simple that the results seem fool proof. We'll see! He has definitely made me look twice at everything I throw away or toss in the recycling bin.
Amber
A few good ideas most of them I wouldn't go like plastic bag christmas balls... I'm all about recycling and reusing but it has to be classy not trashy! I don't want to have my own trailer park christmas.

It's a fast read and there are a few that I might do but not worth buying the book, check out at the library.
Denele
Ugh. I wanted to like this book, because the intentions are good. Who doesn't want to be eco-friendly and use what they have? However, out of 124 ideas, only 2 were nice enough I wouldn't be embarrassed to have in my home. Unfortunately, most of the crafts look cheap, not chic.
Laura Jean
Terrifically imaginative ideas for upcycling everyday items. Contains many craft ideas for upcycling everyday items. I was happy to find honest-to-goodness decorative ideas for styrofoam and plastic grocery bags. It's now on my wish list.
Page
Feb 13, 2013 Page added it
Great ideas for using things you probably already have on hand. Some things looked like they had been bought new - I would have liked to see more items that were truly used and seen the creativity.
Lee
i was torn about liking and disliking this book
liked some ideas - but not necessarily the crafts done with those techniques
some were just ridiculous & ridiculously simple
Marissa
LOOOOVED the upcycling ideas. I can never get enough upcycling ideas. If you are looking for fun reused item crafts check out this book. It's really fun!!
Lizabeth
A few things I would consider doing but most felt junky to me. Sometimes upcycled junk is still junk and not very useful or beautiful.
Rachel
Some cute ideas for upcycling. Higlights for me: denim napkins, chalkboard trick-or-treat bags andglobe candy bowls.
Christie
Some cute projects, but most are just silly. Balloons made out of plastic bags are not my thing!
Julie
A few fun ideas, some weird, some not so useful, but I appreciate his creativity..
Kristin
Eh. I really liked his other book, and this one was so-so.Still glad I looked at it.
Trish
This book wasn't that great. There were only a couple good ideas.
Rose Lambert
I love his projects. Several I want to try myself.
Michelle
I bookmarked the hell out of this book. Ready, set, craft!
melissa
Fun filled book with great ideas
Miss M
Good variety of doable projects.
Janet Briggs
Don't waste your time!
Emily
interesting ideas
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Upcycling: Create Beautiful Things with the Stuff You Already Have Simply Green Giving: Create Beautiful and Organic Wrappings, Tags, and Gifts from Everyday Materials Simply Green Parties: Simple and resourceful ideas for throwing the perfect celebration, event, or get-together Conscious Style Home: Eco-Friendly Living for the 21st Century Heaven on Earth