Start by marking “Vegan Eats World: 300 International Recipes for Savoring the Planet” as Want to Read:
Vegan Eats World: 300 International Recipes for Savoring the Planet

Vegan Eats World: 300 International Recipes for Savoring the Planet

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  304 ratings  ·  37 reviews
What If the World Was Vegan?

The true building blocks of cuisines across the planet are the spices, herbs, and grains—from basmati rice to buckwheat, coconut to caraway seeds. Apply those flavors to vegan staples such as seitan, or tofu and even straight-up vegetables, and the possibilities? If not endless, pretty darned expansive.

So what if the world was vegan? Your own co
Published October 30th 2012 by Da Capo Lifelong Books (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Vegan Eats World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vegan Eats World

Veganomicon by Isa Chandra MoskowitzVegan Cupcakes Take Over the World by Isa Chandra MoskowitzVegan with a Vengeance by Isa Chandra MoskowitzAppetite for Reduction by Isa Chandra MoskowitzVegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar by Isa Chandra Moskowitz
Best Vegan Cookbooks
28th out of 199 books — 267 voters
Food Yoga by Paul Rodney TurnerVegan Eats World by Terry Hope RomeroHealthy Heart Healthy Planet by Rajiv MisquittaFood Yoga by Paul Rodney TurnerGristle by Moby
Rabbit Food
2nd out of 26 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

Lee
This book has gotten me excited about cooking again. After a hot summer, reluctant to even enter the kitchen, cooler weather along with a re-awakened appetite has hit with a vengeance. My desire to get busy preparing warm stews, spicy curries and delicious dumplings was instantly ignited as I paged through the recipes in Terry Hope Romero’s new book, Vegan Eats World: 300 International Recipes for Savoring the Planet.

The book has a hard cover and is similar in size, layout and feel to Veganomico
Trish
March 24, 2014
I am recycling this review because I adore this cookbook. It's been a couple years since I started with it, and it is consistently fabulous: tasty, pretty, simple to follow. I have too many favorites to choose just a couple, and each time I try something it becomes a new favorite. I am amazed at its depth, now, after a couple years. There is always something new to thrill me.

Make yourself Preserved Lemons, folks. What a game-changer!

-------------------------
Dec 15, 2012
So, I am not
Lisa Vegan
Oct 26, 2012 Lisa Vegan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: expert to not quite novice cooks, all vegans, most who enjoy international cuisine
I’m so excited. This is the first time in ages I’ve gotten an advance copy of a book, and it was a book I really wanted; I couldn’t have selected a better book to receive early. I had the book in hand 10/23 and the official publication date is 10/30. I finished it on 10/26, reading it over my “official vegan anniversary” of 10/24, United Nations Day. I feel very fortunate. Thank you so much to Lindsey Triebel at deCapo Press for the opportunity. She contacted my co-creator and co-mod of the Vega ...more
Shannon
(ARC copy generously provided by NetGalley)

Oh, Terry Hope Romero, what you do to me. I'm sitting here, looking through Vegan Eats World, and all I want to do is drop everything and run out to buy things like chickpea flour and pomegranate molasses and any number of international condiments so I can try every single recipe in this amazing cookbook.

I began making notes on recipes I wanted to mention in my review and halfway through the book I was at 58 recipes, probably 85% of what I'd seen thus
Melissa (YA Book Shelf)
Wow. I had the opportunity to be a cookbook tester for this book when it was still in it's incomplete stage, meaning that I gave feedback to the author for each of the recipes that I tested. And I tested a lot. About 34 recipes in all to be exact.

In this book, Terry has created a lush world with vegan versions of food from all over the planet. Like Latino cuisine? As with her first solo cookbook project, you'll find some great dishes. Interested in the culinary traditions of Japan, China, Korea
Anna
Jan 05, 2014 Anna rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: apl, 2014
This book has many good features (such as introducing many ingredients to many new readers, gorgeous photography, having food ideas from around the world etc), but it leaves me a bit uncertain and disturbed.

Some things can't be made vegan and still be called the same thing than their inspiration was. Imagine vegan thanksgiving turkey, vegan lamb, or vegan chicken something? Exactly. (Fine, call it tofu something or a TVP "larb" but it's not the real thing. )

I would have given this 4 stars (and I
Sfdreams
Oh.My.God!! This has become one of my all-time favorite cookbooks. My fingers are itching to actually try out the recipes. The only reason I am posting before trying the recipes is that I won this as an early birthday present from the Vegan Cookbooks group, and I wanted to post before the publication date of October 30.

It arrived on the 23rd. I have been carting it around with me since then, showing it off to friends. I think the very first recipe I will try is the Ethiopian Chocolate Flourless
Becca
I'm not just rating this 4 stars because I like Terry's books. I'm rating it 4 stars because I tested this sucker for weeks. And because during that time I ate my weight in international vegan delights. And - most importantly - because the recipes are damn good.

For me, the best thing to come out of this book is the amazing cheesy topping made from chickpea flour (I know, I need to look up the name). And the awesome spice blends. And the deserts... Oh, man.

The only reason for the missing star is
I start this review on a sad note- my book fell apart. No I didn't love the book to death, though I do really love it. What did the book in was the binding was crappyconstruction. This makes me sad since this has NEVER happened to me before. Sure once or twice I might of had a 10 year old cookbook fall apart on me. But never a new one. What makes it more frustrating is that the publishing company has always made solid cookbooks.

And when I say the book was falling apart, I mean the pages were fal
Kelly
"What if the world was vegan?"

(Full disclosure: I received a free copy of this cookbook for review from the publisher. Also, you can read this review complete with photos on my blog.)

"Wherever it's eaten, meat basically remains the same - it's plant foods that transport our senses. Apply those flavors to vegan staples such as seitan or tofu and even straight-up vegetables, and the possibilities? If not endless, pretty darned expansive."

As a semi-reformed fussy eater, I was both nervous and excit
Sps
These recipes sound gooooooooood!

Bulgogi: mmm garlic breath delight. Scrubbing the cast-iron grill pan: not so much fun. But worth it.

Moussaka stew: only for people who love eggplant as the main flavor of a dish. The chef de cuisine and I had to admit that we do not. So we were not excited about this, and--oof--there's a little bit left in the refrigerator that one of us is going to have to eat.

Pasticio: it's like lasagna meets baked macaroni and cheese with a little bit of moussaka flavor thro
Vidya Tiru
Vegan Eats World – I love books and I love cooking (actually, that is stretching the truth a little but I do love trying out recipes around the world!) and I am vegetarian, so picking this book out of the NetGalley RCs to review was a no-brainer. And I am soooo glad I did. This book is a gift – not just for vegans but for everyone and a treasure for beginner cooks. You can take a culinary trip around the world right through it’s pages. This book is proof that vegan food can come from anywhere in ...more
Darren
Here is a book that left this reviewer with mixed feelings. A sort of confusion if you like.
The concept itself is simple. Hundreds of recipes that are suitable for a vegan diet, underscored by an ecological motive to 'save the planet.' It is just a question as to whether this book was 'preaching to the converted' as there seemed to be, at times, a bit of a clash of identities and meanings.
Beginning with a fairly heavy, slightly oppressive, fundamentalist manifesto for veganism this book managed
Susan B
My two-star rating is partly my fault, I'm sure. I'm not a big "international" foods consumer - my favourites are North American, British, Italian, French, and Mexican, so yeah... But the fact that most of the recipes have a huge list of ingredients and seem to require a lot of time prepping and cooking, is definitely not my fault. My life is full enough as it is, without having to spend more hours in the kitchen.

If you like Martha Stewart, this is probably for you.
Teresa Lukey
Although I am not strictly vegan, I usually find that vegan recipes most frequently follow the way I eat, which is gluten-free and dairy-free. As my husband has gout, I also try to cut as much meat out as possible, hence the attraction to vegan cookbooks. I checkout cookbooks from the library just about every week and this one is FANTASTIC.

This cookbook contains an array of ethnic recipes and excellent detail on products that should be used, why and where to locate them. Although there are glut
Jessica
This book is a perfect choice for someone who's looking for a little adventure in the kitchen. This is not weeknight stuff (for that, check out The 30-Minute Vegan's Taste of the East), nor is it particularly authentic. But as Terry Hope Romero says, it's what you'd eat if the world was vegan!

Here's what I've tried so far --

Ethiopian flourless torte: My first flourless cake! I liked its intense cocoa flavor and subtle Ethiopian spices.

Tofu vindaloo: Tofu in a delicious tangy, slightly spicy sauc
Karen!
This cookbook offers a great way to do precisely what I set out to do when I became a vegan: to eat healthy, ethical food that helped me to explore new foods and broaden my world view.

Great recipes, great ideas, well explained, amazing inspirations!

But don't take my word for it...
Autumn
Terry's books are always fantastic. This one is especially comprehensive and somehow contains recipes I wanted to keep from other world cuisine cookbooks (garlic puree and naan), vegan food specialties (love her wheat meat) and new delicious stuff I have never heard of (momo dumplings. A Laurel's Kitchen of today.
Don
This is a well written and presented book. It's has delicious looking full color photos, a good index and delicious vegan recipes that are unique. I don't think this is for the novice vegan or inexperienced cook, but the recipes are relatively easy to follow.

This book loses one star because the index isn't a good one. Two examples are that I was bought some purple potatoes on sale and remembered there was a recipe in her book that uses them, but was it under potatoes or even purple potatoes...no
Alyssa
Apr 12, 2014 Alyssa rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: food
I enjoyed this cookbook for the information / techniques, but didn't find it the most user friendly. I agree with another reviewer who said the font made it hard to read the recipe instructions (when your eyes often jump back and forth between reading and doing). I also felt like there were a lot of specialty/obscure ingredients which are pretty hard to find where I live.

I am not vegan, I just like trying new things. I liked that this cookbook made me re-think how a recipe could be altered.. and
Kandice
Even though I've only had time to make a couple of recipes from this book (it was a heavily hinted at Christmas gift, but I have read it cover-to-cover a couple of times), I'm going to go ahead and call it a win. At first glance, many of the recipes look intimidating and involved, but the clear instructions (sometimes with illustrations!) and ingredient explanations (as a totally self-taught chef, it's nice to have flavour profiles explained from time to time) break things down into manageable s ...more
Britt Taylor
This cookbook made me want to write a love letter to the author. It has brought me so much joy in the kitchen. It is pretty chef-tastic, so you will be mixing and stirring and steaming and baking and pickling with new and exciting ingredients. My family's diet will never be the same after making friends with this cookbook for people who love LOVE LOVE delicious food. It is difficult not to serve your dinner smugly, as the creations you make deserve gold medals, and it is hard to remain humble.
I
Eric
Great stuff! Super interesting read, and the stuff I've made out of this has been delicious. Broad range of dishes, overall excellent book!
Polly
(read but not tested). These recipes look yummy, but they also seem to take a lot of work and a lot of ingrediants that I don't necessarily have around, so I was unable to test them in the amount of time that it was reasonable to have this book checked out from the library!
Kris Kipp
LOVE this cookbook! Some of the recipes are a little too complex and time consuming for a weeknight meal but everything I have made from this book has been absolutely delicious. I am vegan and for the first time ever I have been able to create meals that my meat and cheese loving husband enjoys as much as I do. I can't even express how exciting it is to have my husband take a bite of a vegan meal and say "This is awesome!".
Molly
Loving this book! I received it for Christmas and have already made three dishes =) The recipes are clear and there is a nice obscure ingredient primer for novices. There aren't photos for each dish, something I like, but the variety and quality of the recipes more than makes up for that. Favorite cookbook of the year!
Steve
A fantastic collection of vegetarian recipies, categorized by the type of world cuisine each dish falls under. I'm excited to get myself eating varied cuisines, rather than just a new vegetarian dish. Of the few recipies I've tried so far, I was very impressed by the cooking instructions and spice selections.
Michael Schwartz
Recipes from all over that are mostly vegan by design. A few examples of converting non-vegan to vegan but this is pretty close to the perfect book for me. Lots of usage of legit ingredients such as curry leaves, thai soy sauces, etc. that might annoy some peeps
Erica
This book is a bit overwhelming - the ingredients called for are probably not things you have on hand - but with a little elbow grease and extra time the recipes are well worth it. I'm just gonna jump right in and go for it. So far I have not been disappointed!
Molly
So, I think it is little ridiculous to include this in my Goodreads, because... well... I don't chronicle these kinds of things. But this book is just so fantastically delicious, I want all my friends to know about it. Yum.
  • Isa Does It: Amazingly Easy, Wildly Delicious Vegan Recipes for Every Day of the Week
  • Artisan Vegan Cheese
  • Vegan Sandwiches Save the Day: Revolutionary New Takes On Everyone's Favorite On-the-Go Meal
  • The Inspired Vegan: Seasonal Ingredients, Creative Recipes, Mouthwatering Menus
  • Wild About Greens: 125 Delicious Recipes from Hearty Soups & Stews to Succulent Sautes & Smoothies
  • The Great Vegan Bean Book
  • Quick-Fix Vegan: Healthy, Homestyle Meals in 30 Minutes or Less
  • Vegan Diner: Classic Comfort Food for the Body and Soul
  • The Best Veggie Burgers on the Planet: 101 Globally Inspired Vegan Creations Packed with Fresh Flavors and Exciting New Tastes
  • Eat Vegan on $4.00 a Day
  • Color Me Vegan: Maximize Your Nutrient Intake and Optimize Your Health by Eating Antioxidant-Rich, Fiber-Packed, Color-Intense Meals That Taste Great
  • Chloe's Vegan Desserts: More than 100 Exciting New Recipes for Cookies and Pies, Tarts and Cobblers, Cupcakes and Cakes--and More!
  • Betty Goes Vegan: Over 500 Classic Recipes for the Modern Family
  • Candle 79 Cookbook: Modern Vegan Classics from New York's Premier Sustainable Restaurant
  • The Indian Vegan Kitchen: More Than 150 Quick and Healthy Homestyle Recipes
  • The Sexy Vegan Cookbook: Extraordinary Food from an Ordinary Dude
  • Vegan Indian Cooking: 140 Simple and Healthy Vegan Recipes
Terry Hope Romero, author and co-author of bestselling vegan cookbooks Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook, Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World, Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar, and Viva Vegan!: Authentic Vegan Latina American Recipes has also presented informative and lively cooking demonstration and talks to hungry crowds at food festivals and conferences the world over, ranging from Pa ...more
More about Terry Hope Romero...
Viva Vegan! 200 Authentic and Fabulous Recipes for Latin Food Lovers Salad Samurai: 100 Cutting-Edge, Ultra-Hearty, Easy-to-Make Salads You Don't Have to Be Vegan to Love Salad Samurai I: 100 Cutting-Edge, Ultra-Hearty, Easy-To-Make Salads You Don't Have to Be Vegan to Love Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World: 75 Dairy-Free Recipes for Cupcakes that Rule