Start by marking “Sometimes Just One is Just Right” as Want to Read:
Sometimes Just One is Just Right

Sometimes Just One is Just Right

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  23 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
A lighthearted story about an only child who learns to appreciate being “just one”

In this winsome story, a likeable young narrator explores the perks and pitfalls of being an only child. Comparing his situation to that of his cousin, Nico, who has many siblings, the narrator realizes that having a household full of brothers and sisters is not always as fun as it seems. Eve
Published April 23rd 2013 by Abbeville Kids (first published September 25th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Sometimes Just One is Just Right, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sometimes Just One is Just Right

Jeffrey
A very good picture book about being an only child.

A winner.
Andrea
Apr 12, 2014 Andrea rated it really liked it
When I was growing up, I was sometimes jealous of my friends who were only children, because they didn't have a younger sister with whom to contend for attention or the surviving Peanuts glass, or the biggest piece of chocolate cake. They also always seemed to have more books and toys than we did, because they didn't have to be divided between two kids who were two different ages. Conversely, sometimes my "only" friends would tell me that they wished they had a sister, like I did, or even a ...more
Monika
Sep 19, 2013 Monika rated it really liked it
Originally posted on my blog, A Lovely Bookshelf on the Wall:

Finding a title like this has been in the back of my mind for a few months now. When I noticed the listing for Sometimes Just One Is Just Right on NetGalley, I had to request it. (Thanks for the review copy, Abbeville Kids!)

This is such a positive story! It focuses on all the great perks of being an only child, while portraying families of all sizes in an equally favorable light. The story acknowledges the occasional "grass is always g
Marilyn
Nov 04, 2013 Marilyn rated it really liked it
The Three Dog Night song. "One is the loneliest number that you'll ever do," ain't necessarily so. Being the only child in the household can have its advantages... like being the middle of a cuddle sandwich between mom and dad on a lazy Saturday morning while in bed, or getting to have the red bowl and cup everyday....just because you want to and no on else is fighting for it. The remote control? Yep, it's all mine to flick and change channels and enjoy whenever I want. I am always the centre of ...more
Lisa Miller Chandler
May 19, 2014 Lisa Miller Chandler rated it it was amazing
I was immediately attracted to this book because of it's beautifully illustrated cover & title. I was granted a copy from NetGalley for review. I loved it. At times I was an only child and my son is also an only child with a half brother visiting regularly. I could relate to the book myself & so could my son.

The book is a wonderful story that highlights the benefits if being the only child even though it is often boring and lonely. My son has asked us to adopt a boy his age so he'd have
Carla Johnson-Hicks
Jul 30, 2015 Carla Johnson-Hicks rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
A lovely picture-book about how being an only child can be a pretty awesome thing. This is such a positive story! It focuses on all the great perks of being an only child, such as being in the middle of a cuddle sandwich or getting to have the red bowl and cup every day. I like how this book shows the main character's friend with a big family as well as his own only child-ness, and how there's good and not-so-good in both.

It acknowledges the occasional "grass is always greener" idea and the lon
Suzanne
May 22, 2014 Suzanne rated it really liked it
This is such a cute story, and in a world where books prepare children to welcome a new sibling to the family, a book that demonstrates the benefits of being an only child is a great addition.

I requested a review copy of this book to read to my daughter, who is only 1 so obviously she doesn't understand it yet. However it was a nice book for my husband and I to read, since as parents, we are always on the fence about whether we should have another child so our daughter has a playmate and compani
Kate Puleo Unger
Aug 22, 2016 Kate Puleo Unger rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books-read
I saw something about Sometimes Just One Is Just Right recently, and I knew I had to read it with Christopher. It's about a boy who wishes he had siblings. It was good to talk with Christopher about whether he wished he had siblings - he used to. Now he told me that he likes being an only child because then he doesn't have to share. I think we work well as a family of three, so it was nice to hear that he agrees.

I read this book to him because I really wanted to read and discuss it. I did make h
Sally
Gorgeously illustrated! A lovely picture-book about how being an only child can be a pretty awesome thing. I'm an only child and I'd have loved a book like this when I was little, instead I got my fill of the "older sibling prepares for the new baby" stories! Which of course I loved, but they made ME want a sibling. I like how this book shows the main character's friend with a big family as well as his own only child-ness, and how there's good and not-so-good in both.
Tiffany
Aug 15, 2014 Tiffany rated it really liked it
This is a sweet story depicting the positives of be an only child. The illustrations are delightful. The story depicts many different types of families, showing the diversity of our world. As only children grow up it is only natural for them to wonder what it would be like to have siblings. This story does a nice job of showing the benefits of having siblings (someone to play with, talk with etc.) but also the benefits of having your own space and ability to be alone.
Andréa
A cute book for only children, highlighting the benefits of being "just one." The illustrations are well-done and, in my opinion, superior to the text itself. I was a bit confused by the mention of the friend Lily, as she's only shown once, whereas the cousin Nico is shown more than once. It would have been better if Lily had either been shown more often or if she hadn't been included at all.

Note: I received a digital copy of this book through NetGalley.
Jay
Aug 01, 2015 Jay rated it it was amazing
a touching story of an only child, showing both the good and the bad, but in the end... sometimes just one is just right.
I'll be keeping this one on hand for my little boy as he gets little older and realises he is just one, but he is just right! and I hope this book will help him to understand and accept that.

** thanks to NetGalley & the publishers for this copy!
Dalene
Mar 20, 2014 Dalene rated it really liked it
I read this to my grandson, he enjoyed the story. The story relates the good and bad of being an only child. Sometimes having siblings is good and sometimes it is just fine to be an only child. It is different for every family. I received this book from netgalley.
Kerry
May 10, 2013 Kerry rated it really liked it
This is a delightful story about being an only child. The author highlights all the good stuff about having siblings and the good stuff about being an only child. I also like how she has depicted all kinds of family from a one child/parent home to a large family. Nice pics too.
Carol
May 23, 2013 Carol rated it liked it
This picture book explores the benefits and drawbacks of being an only child. It is refreshing to have this topic covered amidst the numerous books dealing with new babies and sibling rivalry.
Lisa
Apr 17, 2015 Lisa rated it liked it
this book is cute. it tells the ups and downs of being an only child. i just found it a little dull and lifeless.
Sara
Dec 11, 2013 Sara rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
"Only" doesn't have to mean lonely! Cute book for only children who are exploring how their lives are different from those they know with siblings.
Lindsay
A cat and squirrel are on many but not all pages. About different kinds of families, with an emphasis on being an only child.
Duane
Duane rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2013
Sandy
Sandy rated it really liked it
May 29, 2013
Courtenay
Courtenay rated it liked it
Jul 16, 2016
PWRL
May 06, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2013-new
SM
Jazmin
Jan 11, 2015 Jazmin rated it it was amazing
Perfect for families with an only child. A very relateable book told from the child's perspective.
Kelly
Kelly rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2016
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
May 06, 2013
Terry
Terry marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2013
NTE
NTE marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2013
Naomi
Naomi added it
Aug 11, 2013
Karla Chuan
Karla Chuan marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
James Carr
James Carr marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2015
Sue
Sue marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Sharon Foley
Sharon Foley marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016