Start by marking “Happy Herbivore Abroad: A Travelogue and Over 135 Fat-Free and Low-Fat Vegan Recipes from Around the World” as Want to Read:

In the last 10 years, Happy Herbivore chef Lindsay S. Nixon has lived in eight states, visited 46, spent a year as an expat on a Caribbean island, and traveled to more than 35 places abroad. As a celebration of Nixon’s jet-setter lifestyle, Happy Herbivore Abroad combines traditional comfort foods from home with international inspiration and stories of her adventures.

A lit
Published December 4th 2012 by BenBella Books (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Happy Herbivore Abroad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Happy Herbivore Abroad

Veganomicon by Isa Chandra MoskowitzVegan Cupcakes Take Over the World by Isa Chandra MoskowitzVegan with a Vengeance by Isa Chandra MoskowitzAppetite for Reduction by Isa Chandra MoskowitzVegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar by Isa Chandra Moskowitz
Best Vegan Cookbooks
60th out of 237 books — 332 voters
The China Study by T. Colin CampbellWhole by T. Colin CampbellEat to Live by Joel FuhrmanForks Over Knives by Gene  StonePrevent and Reverse Heart Disease by Caldwell B. Esselstyn Jr.
Plant-Based Diet
28th out of 77 books — 83 voters

More lists with this book...

Madison (The Chronic Re-Reader)
I loved the little stories with each recipe, and how Lindsay doesn't use a lot of nuts and oils in replace of animal products. The flavor all comes from whole foods like fresh produce and grains. A great vegan cookbook.
Lauren
Dec 17, 2014 Lauren rated it it was amazing
Wow, my friend switched to Vegan a few months ago and has been letting me try her lunches, most from this author. Surprisingly delicious! I have been suffering from a lot of health issues and reading the benefits of going Vegan have me leaning towards it. Reading through this cook book that is filled with tons of pictures made my mouth water. Everything sounds delicious, it tells you where the recipe is from, usually a picture and substitutes you can make if needed. I can't wait to cook some of ...more
Michele
Jun 10, 2013 Michele rated it liked it
Shelves: cooking, 2013, veganism
Overall, I'm a fan of Happy Herbivore. Her recipes are simple and rely on easy-to-find ingredients. Since I follow a vegan, no-added-fat way of eating, they are right up my alley. Her style is a bit simplistic for me and honestly her writing can be a bit..young? For example, I didn't expect to see a reference to "hookers and potheads" (referring to Amsterdam) in a cookbook. Maybe I'm just old-fashioned that way.

This review is mainly about the format of this cookbook rather than the content. Fir
Rebecca Robinson
Feb 02, 2013 Rebecca Robinson rated it it was amazing
This book is AMAZING! Not only am I a pescetarian, but I'm also allergic to gluten, soy and dairy. Guess what this book has almost ALL gluten free recipes, and many that are soy free and of course dairy free (Vegan cookbook). This is the FIRST cookbook I have ever bought that I am actually looking forward to cooking from! All the recipes are easy, delicious and just so fun! It is a must have for any kitchen, maybe you'll have a guest like me for dinner some time? haha

Anyway, all the recipes are
Cynthia
Sep 23, 2014 Cynthia rated it liked it
Apparently I'm not as enamored of this book as most people seem to be. It isn't bad, hence the 3 stars. But it isn't particularly good. I've made about 15 of the recipes, and they were all fine, but none of them were delicious. None were the type that I would want to serve to anyone outside my family. And, really, I serve them to my family only when I need something both very quick and healthful. I have so many other vegan recipes that are truly delicious. This book has retreated to fallback pos ...more
Rick Helmuth
Mar 17, 2013 Rick Helmuth rated it it was amazing
We discovered Lindsay Nixon online where she generously shares many of her low oil, vegan recipes. Based on her consistently wonderful and healthy recipes, we bought the only Happy Herbivore book our local Barnes & Noble had in stock. Great recipes, wonderful photographs and top shelf all the way.

In fact, the vegan Belgian Waffle recipe on p. 160 is worth paying full price for this book alone. Highly recommended without reservation.
Heidi
Feb 25, 2013 Heidi rated it liked it
Shelves: food-cooking
Most of the recipes were pretty accessible. I tried a green bean and mushroom saute that was pretty good.

I guess my biggest problem is I don't really want to be vegan. I want to eat less meat and dairy, but I'm fine with eggs and honey and some cheese.
Amy
Jul 14, 2016 Amy rated it liked it
I haven't made anything out of this yet, though I have several marked. Reading through this inspired me to introduce more vegan and vegetarian food into my family's diet, though we aren't ready to jump the whole way in.

I understand that the point is to be quick, along with healthy and fat free, but I'm troubled by the number of canned ingredients she uses. In a world where we are concerned about BPA and sodium, I'd think making the beans ahead of time and storing them in the fridge, or using fre
Jessie
Dec 02, 2013 Jessie rated it it was amazing
I'm excited about many of these recipes.
Crystal
Nov 16, 2013 Crystal rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbooks
Considering how much I loved Lindsay's other two cookbooks, this one was really a letdown for me. I didn't want a travelogue or pictures of her eating foreign food. I just wanted more tasty low fat vegan recipes, preferably ones that are simple to make. I was excited about the promise of a slightly more diverse set of recipes, too, since the first books, while great, felt heavy on Cuban and Cajun style recipes, with many of the same spices over and over again.
However, I find the format of this b
Stacey
May 19, 2013 Stacey rated it liked it
So far I've only tried a couple of the recipes in this book though I've read through the whole thing. The recipes I've tried have been good, but not exceptional. I really like that the author focuses on unprocessed, whole foods like beans rather than fixating on more processed veggie proteins. And I really appreciate that each recipe is "tagged" as soy-free, gluten-free, budget, etc. However, so far, I don't really like the layout of the book - I feel like I have to flip through the whole book t ...more
Barbara
Aug 27, 2016 Barbara rated it really liked it
Thoroughly enjoyed the travel stories and photos. The recipes are very appealing, using ingredients I enjoy, and usually scaled to 4 servings.

I borrowed this book from the library, but ordered it from Amazon almost immediately. I know I'm going to use these recipes frequently.
Jaq
Apr 25, 2014 Jaq rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Quick, easy and so full of yummy things....I love this easy to follow cookbook...and I adore the vegan spag bol recipe too - I cooked it up in my slow cooker and my son was none the wiser because of it....

Awesome!!!
Morgan
Mar 25, 2014 Morgan rated it really liked it
Shelves: cook-books
I love how the author uses basic, pronounceable ingredients and all the recipes have instructions that are only a paragraph or two. My type of cookbook.
Mar 04, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it
Only my second HH book - but like the other one I really enjoyed it. Some of the recipes rely too much on ketchup and mustard (at least that was my impression when a couple recipes fell flat). This book inspired me to embrace baking cookies and muffins and crepes in new ways that I love! I'm a sucker for baked goods. I loved a lot of the entrees but my poor husband just has issues these days with all the seasonings and cooked tomatoes in the recipes. Don't judge the book by his opinion, though, ...more
Erin
Feb 03, 2014 Erin rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks-veg
Interesting travel comments. Photos taken by author are more appealing than those by the food stylist, so basically this book made me want to travel rather than cook.
Gail
Jan 28, 2016 Gail rated it liked it
This book is fine. I find the author quite likable, but I'm just so-so on the Happy Herbivore recipes. But I'm in the minority - people love it, so check it out for yourself!
Kristin
Jul 05, 2015 Kristin rated it it was ok
This book had a few too many editing mistakes in it and was set up in a disorganized fashion.
Barb
Mar 19, 2014 Barb rated it it was amazing
Love this cookbook. I have several that my husband requests almost every other week.
{eri}
May 18, 2016 {eri} rated it it was amazing
I was so lucky to find this at my local used bookstore for $8. Happy Herbivore is truly wonderful for recipes. We have twice made the Spaghetti alla puttanesca from Happy Herbivore Abroad cookbook. My husband loves it. The sauce comes from an olive tapenade. I didn't even like olives until this recipe made me appreciate them. This book like all of Lindsay's is a keeper and I know I'll be experimenting with much more down the line.
missy jean
Dec 10, 2013 missy jean rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
If you're looking for authentic, richly complex global vegan recipes... this book isn't it. (Check out Romero's Vegan Eats World instead.) But if you are new to vegan cooking or short on time and you want simple recipes with short, accessible ingredient lists and a little international flair, then this one might be a good fit for you.
Michelle
Dec 07, 2013 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
I should really just give up on other cookbooks and just buy Lindsay's. They are practically perfect! Great recipes, great photography, (this one even had a travelogue and travel pix!) nutrition information, and all so do-able. Sign me up, I want to be Just Like Lindsay. If you're vegan, you probably need this. Just do it!
Beka
Jul 22, 2014 Beka rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbooks
Though I like the idea, the execution wasn't up to my expectations.
Tiffany
Jan 05, 2014 Tiffany rated it really liked it
Lots of yummy Indian food to try. Lots of recipes from South and Central America. All vegan.
Lisa
Jan 10, 2013 Lisa rated it it was amazing
The best vegan cookbook I have seen. I love that Lindsay's recipes do not use a lot of oil and nuts. The recipes are full of flavor and healthy but do not use a lot of rarely used ingredients.
Cindy
May 30, 2016 Cindy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
My new favorite cookbook. Inspiring, easy to follow, amazing recipes. Lots of beautiful photos and nutritional info. I had to purchase this after borrowing it from my library.
Scottsdale Public Library
Add some international flavor to your vegan repertoire with this third installment from the Happy Herbivore, Lindsay Nixon. – Paula C.
Becca
Dec 30, 2012 Becca rated it really liked it
Shelves: other-nonfiction
Thank you goodreads and publisher for my First Reads copy!
I look forward to making a lot of fresh-tasting, exotic food:)
Lisa
Nov 26, 2013 Lisa rated it it was amazing
i rented this from the library and ended copying about 4 recipes but everything looked authentic and i would like to try it all
  • The Get Healthy, Go Vegan Cookbook
  • Fresh from the Vegan Slow Cooker: 200 Ultra-Convenient, Super-Tasty, Completely Animal-Free Recipes
  • Home-Cooked Vegan Comfort Food: More Than 200 Belly-Filling, Lip-Smacking Recipes
  • Bake and Destroy: Good Food for Bad Vegans
  • Chloe's Vegan Desserts: More than 100 Exciting New Recipes for Cookies and Pies, Tarts and Cobblers, Cupcakes and Cakes--and More!
  • The Great Vegan Bean Book
  • Vegan Food Gifts: Spread the Vegan Love DIY-Style with 100 Inspired Recipes for Homemade Baked Goods, Preserves, and Other Edible Gifts Everyone Will Love
  • Cookin' Crunk: Eatin' Vegan in the Dirty South
  • Wild About Greens: 125 Delicious Recipes from Hearty Soups & Stews to Succulent Sautes & Smoothies
  • Vegan Eats World: 300 International Recipes for Savoring the Planet
  • Eat Vegan on $4.00 a Day
  • Let Them Eat Vegan!: 200 Deliciously Satisfying Plant-Powered Recipes for the Whole Family
  • Spork-Fed: Super Fun and Flavorful Vegan Recipes from the Sisters of Spork Foods
  • Big Vegan
  • Unprocessed: How to Achieve Vibrant Health and Your Ideal Weight
  • Artisan Vegan Cheese
  • The Asian Vegan Kitchen: Authentic and Appetizing Dishes from a Continent of Rich Flavors
Author of the Happy Herbivore Cookbook series and CEO of Meal Mentor

Download your FREE 7-day meal plan at http://bit.ly/2a03dwN
More about Lindsay S. Nixon...