Start by marking “What Was Your Dream, Dr. King?: And Other Questions About... Martin Luther King Jr.” as Want to Read:

Why were schools, drinking fountains, and movie theatres segregated by race? Why did more than 250,000 people march in Washington, DC in 1963? What was Martin Luther King, Jr.'s big dream--and has it come true? All of these and other “must-know” questions about the civil rights hero are answered in this engaging new book.
Published January 1st 2013 by Sterling Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about What Was Your Dream, Dr. King?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Was Your Dream, Dr. King?

Garrett Reimers
1. Today we are going to read a book that will start our thinking about black history. February is Black History month. Does anybody know what Black History month is about? (Let students answer) This book is set up as a question and answer. What I mean by that is the author is going to pose a question, but then is going to answer that question. When we read I want you to ask yourself questions and see if you get those answered.

2. I chose to alert children to the writer's craft since it maybe a f
Krehauna Dotzler
Another nonfiction book I choose was What Was Your Dream, Dr. King? This book is a great read to learn more about the struggles African-Americans went through during the time of the Civil Rights Movement. This is a grade 3rd-6th book because there is a lot of information.

I paired it will a book called Ruby Lee and Me. This book is about and all white school getting their first African-American female teacher. The girl in the book doesn’t understand why it is such a big deal for a new teacher an
Hannah
This is on the lower end of the difficulty scale. This book is on a 2nd grade level. I would use this toward the beginning of the unit because it is easy to read and it focuses on a Civil Rights figure most students are familiar with--Martin Luther King Jr. This text also covers a lot of the basic information about the Civil Rights movement along with very nice illustrations.
Rosanna
The illustrations are beautiful! The book has a question answer format instead of presenting material in a story. The information was well presented though and not at all choppy. I enjoyed the book and learned more about Martin Luther King Jr.
Beth
Received a review copy of this book and blogged about it here:

Leah
Leah rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2016
Kat
Kat rated it it was ok
Dec 27, 2013
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2013
Sarah added it
May 11, 2015
Mary Kay Carson
Sep 27, 2016 Mary Kay Carson added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Mary Kay Carson is an award-winning children’s nonfiction author. She has written more than thirty books for young people about wildlife, space, weather, nature, and history. Her recent non-fiction titles include Emi and the Rhino Scientist, about the Cincinnati Zoo's famous rhino mom; Exploring the Solar System, recipient of the 2009 American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics Children’s L ...more
More about Mary Kay Carson...