Start by marking “Superfood Kitchen: Cooking with Nature's Most Amazing Foods” as Want to Read:
Superfood Kitchen: Cooking with Nature's Most Amazing Foods

Superfood Kitchen: Cooking with Nature's Most Amazing Foods

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  129 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Welcome to the SUPERFOOD culinary revolution! In Superfood Kitchen, beautiful dishes are entirely composed of plant-based, nutrient-dense, and whole foods that energize, nourish, and taste delicious. Each recipe artfully combines natural ingredients that deliver amazing amounts of antioxidants, essential fatty acids (like omega-3), minerals, vitamins, and more. The mouthwa ...more
Published November 6th 2012 by Sterling Epicure (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Superfood Kitchen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Superfood Kitchen

Cynthia Coletti
Oct 03, 2012 Cynthia Coletti rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Cynthia by: First Reads on Goodreads
Shelves: first-reads, own
A unique introduction to nutritious, flavorful foods other than the ubiquitous smoothie. What I particularly like about the author's approach is how she teaches about the foods, herbs & flavors so that you know how to use them in other settings.
The book contains 8 sections on food types, like entrees & soups, & one with drinks. For the first 50 pages, the author introduces many lesser known "superfoods", or highly nutritious types of foods & herbs, & their possible uses in a
Kiersten
I think that this book has a lot of different yummy foods. I haven't tried any yet, but I just wanted to get this review up. I have an advanced readers copy and the only thing I was disappointed with was that there was no color. When I get cookbooks, I'd prefer them in color so I am more drawn to it and so when I am cooking the foods I can compare. Other than that, I cannot wait until I make some of these recipes!

Also, my grandmother wanted to add her own comments in. She said she thought it was
Millicent
Following up on her superfood smoothie cookbook, I decided to check this book out. She reconstructs classics to ensure they are densely nutritional but still keeps the flavors of our cultural favourites: it's a win win situation. I made the black bean hemp burgers, cauliflower risotto, and garden vegetable lasagna. The burgers I wasn't overjoyed with, but the other two: yum! I think her techniques could use refinement but Julie Morris certainly understands flavor. I am really looking forward to ...more
Caiti S.
I love health-focused cookbooks, so I recently checked this out from the library. It reminds me a little of Alicia Silverstone's "The Kind Diet" because it too uses a lot of ingredients that aren't very common. The Kind Diet had a slightly more Asian influence, while this cookbook seems to be a bit inspired by South American superfoods (lucuma powder, sacha inchi, cacao, camu camu, etc). I enjoyed the information provided, but I don't know how many recipes I'll make right now since they all requ ...more
Ilona Mustafin
This is such a great book to have in the kitchen. There's a good portion explaining specialty superfoods and also superfood pantry staples. I have already been leading a very healthy lifestyle and this is just such a great addition. In the last week since I got this book I have already cooked the Cauliflower Risotto, Hemp Hummus, Greens soup, Goddess Kale Salad (amazing!), Strawberry soup, Yellow Pea Chowder and a few other recipes that I cannot recall at the moment. I'm looking forward to cooki ...more
Helena
I received this book from a First Reads giveaway.

I'm always looking for more vegetarian recipes, and this book really brings them out. There's so many creative and tasty looking recipes in this book, and I can't wait to try them all.

My only complaint on the book is that the picures are all in black and white, and I'm sure a lot of the food would look a lot tastier were it in colour, but as I have an advance reading copy, I'm thinking the actual completed book will be in colour.

I would recommend
Unfortunately, this book is written from within the well-meaning but science-lacking fat/cholesterol/animal product-phobic paradigm of "conventional wisdom." However, I am glad Morris wrote this cookbook to make use of some tasty micronutrient-dense ingredients that are new to most North American palates (although the ANDI system for rating nutrient density should be taken with a very, VERY large grain of salt). Waiting until I try some of the recipes to give this a star rating.
Brooke
I'd give it 10 stars if I could. I would make every single recipe in this book. Recipes use superfoods and are 100% plant-based. She goes over each of the superfoods as well as pantry staples so you know just what to get, what it's for, and in some cases even where to buy it. We have and use the majority of foods listed but there are several new ones I can't wait to try and add to my family's diet! Definitely a book I will be buying! I can't wait to dive in and start baking!
Kelley
I won an ARC of this book. It is a great mixture of education and recipes. It contains no meat, egg or dairy product but is not advertised as a vegan cookbook. It doesn't contain dairy or meat because they are low value foods. The recipes look amazing, not a lot that the kids would want to eat, but some very yummy recipes. If you want to learn about super foods and ways to prepare them, this is a good choice.
Toby
This book had a lot of amazing looking recipes and information. I rate this only 4 stars because I received an ARC which was in black and white and the illustrations were lacking because of that. I assume that the color copy would be better, probably making it 5-star worthy.

*disclaimer* I won this book through the Goodreads First Reads Giveaway, but my review is 100% honest.
Iamabibliophile
Althought it's very unlikely that I can find most of the ingredients in this book in my area or at a price I can afford, this cookbook is great! I'm looking forward to sampling the recipes.
Stephanie
I won this book through a Good Reads giveaway.

I was was a little bummed that the advance copy was in black and white. However, it has many healthy recipes that I am excited to try this summer!
Janet
There are some really tasty recipes in here, but also a few that remind me of some of the gruely, tasteless dishes I made in college, living on the cheap.
Jamie Outlaw
This book had lots of good ideas and some decent information. If you're interested in nutrition, this is a good book to read.
Denise
Recommended by a friend who is vegan. Great, healthy recipes. Copied many but haven't tried them yet.
Becca

Great reference guide for cooking with foods most of us have no idea how to use.
Jen
This is the cookbook I've been looking for! Great recipes using nutrient dense food, yes please!
Larisa
May 23, 2012 Larisa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
Hardbound
Rachael
Rachael marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
Ellarey Morgan
Ellarey Morgan marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Molly
Molly marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Mango
Mango marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Pinky
Pinky marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Kirstin Jackson
Kirstin Jackson marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
ME
ME marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Tracy
Tracy marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
  • The Inspired Vegan: Seasonal Ingredients, Creative Recipes, Mouthwatering Menus
  • The Longevity Kitchen: Satisfying, Big-Flavor Recipes Featuring the Top 16 Age-Busting Power Foods
  • La Tartine Gourmande: Gluten-Free Recipes for an Inspired Life
  • Flying Apron's Gluten Free & Vegan Baking Book
  • Betty Goes Vegan: Over 500 Classic Recipes for the Modern Family
  • Home-Cooked Vegan Comfort Food: More Than 200 Belly-Filling, Lip-Smacking Recipes
  • The Best Veggie Burgers on the Planet: 101 Globally Inspired Vegan Creations Packed with Fresh Flavors and Exciting New Tastes
  • Vegan Eats World: 300 International Recipes for Savoring the Planet
  • Eat Vegan on $4.00 a Day
  • The Gluten-Free Vegan: 150 Delicious Ways to Cook Allergy-Free-Without Dairy, Wheat or Meat
  • Thrive Energy Cookbook: 150 Plant-Based Whole Food Recipes
  • One-Dish Vegan: More than 150 Soul-Satisfying Recipes for Easy and Delicious One-Bowl and One-Plate Dinners
  • Vedge: 100 Plates Large and Small That Redefine Vegetable Cooking
  • Paleo Slow Cooking: Gluten Free Recipes Made Simple
  • Now Eat This! Italian: Favorite Dishes from the Real Mamas of Italy--All Under 350 Calories
  • Power Foods: 150 Delicious Recipes with the 38 Healthiest Ingredients
  • Wild About Greens: 125 Delicious Recipes from Hearty Soups & Stews to Succulent Sautes & Smoothies
  • Candle 79 Cookbook: Modern Vegan Classics from New York's Premier Sustainable Restaurant
Superfood Smoothies: 100 Delicious, Energizing & Nutrient-dense Recipes Superfood Juices: 100 Delicious, Energizing & Nutrient-Dense Recipes Superfood Snacks: More than 100 nutrient-dense, completely indulgent desserts & snacks