Start by marking “Superfood Kitchen: Cooking with Nature's Most Amazing Foods” as Want to Read:
Superfood Kitchen: Cooking with Nature's Most Amazing Foods

Superfood Kitchen: Cooking with Nature's Most Amazing Foods

Welcome to the SUPERFOOD culinary revolution! In Superfood Kitchen, beautiful dishes are entirely composed of plant-based, nutrient-dense, and whole foods that energize, nourish, and taste delicious. Each recipe artfully combines natural ingredients that deliver amazing amounts of antioxidants, essential fatty acids (like omega-3), minerals, vitamins, and more. The mouthwa ...more
Published November 6th 2012 by Sterling Epicure (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Superfood Kitchen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Superfood Kitchen

Cynthia Coletti
Aug 27, 2012 Cynthia Coletti rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Cynthia by: First Reads on Goodreads
Shelves: own, first-reads
A unique introduction to nutritious, flavorful foods other than the ubiquitous smoothie. What I particularly like about the author's approach is how she teaches about the foods, herbs & flavors so that you know how to use them in other settings.
The book contains 8 sections on food types, like entrees & soups, & one with drinks. For the first 50 pages, the author introduces many lesser known "superfoods", or highly nutritious types of foods & herbs, & their possible uses in a
Kiersten
Sep 17, 2012 Kiersten rated it really liked it
I think that this book has a lot of different yummy foods. I haven't tried any yet, but I just wanted to get this review up. I have an advanced readers copy and the only thing I was disappointed with was that there was no color. When I get cookbooks, I'd prefer them in color so I am more drawn to it and so when I am cooking the foods I can compare. Other than that, I cannot wait until I make some of these recipes!

Also, my grandmother wanted to add her own comments in. She said she thought it was
Millicent
Jan 05, 2014 Millicent rated it really liked it
Following up on her superfood smoothie cookbook, I decided to check this book out. She reconstructs classics to ensure they are densely nutritional but still keeps the flavors of our cultural favourites: it's a win win situation. I made the black bean hemp burgers, cauliflower risotto, and garden vegetable lasagna. The burgers I wasn't overjoyed with, but the other two: yum! I think her techniques could use refinement but Julie Morris certainly understands flavor. I am really looking forward to ...more
Caiti S
Feb 16, 2013 Caiti S rated it really liked it
I love health-focused cookbooks, so I recently checked this out from the library. It reminds me a little of Alicia Silverstone's "The Kind Diet" because it too uses a lot of ingredients that aren't very common. The Kind Diet had a slightly more Asian influence, while this cookbook seems to be a bit inspired by South American superfoods (lucuma powder, sacha inchi, cacao, camu camu, etc). I enjoyed the information provided, but I don't know how many recipes I'll make right now since they all requ ...more
Ilona Mustafin
Sep 17, 2012 Ilona Mustafin rated it it was amazing
This is such a great book to have in the kitchen. There's a good portion explaining specialty superfoods and also superfood pantry staples. I have already been leading a very healthy lifestyle and this is just such a great addition. In the last week since I got this book I have already cooked the Cauliflower Risotto, Hemp Hummus, Greens soup, Goddess Kale Salad (amazing!), Strawberry soup, Yellow Pea Chowder and a few other recipes that I cannot recall at the moment. I'm looking forward to cooki ...more
Karen Graham
Jan 04, 2015 Karen Graham rated it really liked it
Just started reading and thus far it's great. Understanding Superfoods expounds upon briefer articles I've read and Creating a Super Foods Kitchen was inspiriting. WISH there were more pictures of the foods I'm not familiar with, but am excited to try new ideas. I'm giving it a four mainly because when you're introducing folks to new foods, pictures really are a must. It seemed too many pages had filler photos of carrots and lettuce and the author in a garden, and not enough recipe and ingredien ...more
Bree
Jun 30, 2016 Bree rated it did not like it
Shelves: cookbooks
Notes:
didn't know this was a vegan book when I got it from the library
references China Study (which has been debunked)
like almost all vegans she is sugar-obsessed!!! for example:

12 salad recipes -- 7 with sweet dressing
9 soups -- 3 are sweet
8 snacks -- 2 add sugar
20 entrees -- 4 add sugar; 5 add sweet ingredients
17 desserts -- obviously all sweet (and the second largest section of her cookbook, so....)
15 breakfasts (2 of which are jams) -- 7 use sugar and all others use sweet ingredients
13 sides
Helena
Sep 21, 2012 Helena rated it it was amazing
I received this book from a First Reads giveaway.

I'm always looking for more vegetarian recipes, and this book really brings them out. There's so many creative and tasty looking recipes in this book, and I can't wait to try them all.

My only complaint on the book is that the picures are all in black and white, and I'm sure a lot of the food would look a lot tastier were it in colour, but as I have an advance reading copy, I'm thinking the actual completed book will be in colour.

I would recommend
Unfortunately, this book is written from within the well-meaning but science-lacking fat/cholesterol/animal product-phobic paradigm of "conventional wisdom." However, I am glad Morris wrote this cookbook to make use of some tasty micronutrient-dense ingredients that are new to most North American palates (although the ANDI system for rating nutrient density should be taken with a very, VERY large grain of salt). Waiting until I try some of the recipes to give this a star rating.
Kelley
Sep 05, 2012 Kelley rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I won an ARC of this book. It is a great mixture of education and recipes. It contains no meat, egg or dairy product but is not advertised as a vegan cookbook. It doesn't contain dairy or meat because they are low value foods. The recipes look amazing, not a lot that the kids would want to eat, but some very yummy recipes. If you want to learn about super foods and ways to prepare them, this is a good choice.
Brooke
Sep 10, 2013 Brooke rated it it was amazing
I'd give it 10 stars if I could. I would make every single recipe in this book. Recipes use superfoods and are 100% plant-based. She goes over each of the superfoods as well as pantry staples so you know just what to get, what it's for, and in some cases even where to buy it. We have and use the majority of foods listed but there are several new ones I can't wait to try and add to my family's diet! Definitely a book I will be buying! I can't wait to dive in and start baking!
Gail
Jan 23, 2016 Gail rated it liked it
I want to love Julie Morris's superfood books, but I'm not head over heels. I like them, but I'm not completely smitten. This is kind of strange, because Morris has the glow to back up what she's saying and is super likable, and the books are gorgeously shot. But ultimately, while I've made some okay recipes from them, nothing has knocked my socks off.
Crystal
Apr 30, 2015 Crystal rated it really liked it
Morris has many ideas and recipes for healthy living included in this book. I enjoyed them very much! The colors were vivid, the photographs were inticing and descriptive. It is not as difficult to eat healthy, if you put your mind to it. I think all health, Earth conscience folks should check it out. (=
Toby
Sep 07, 2012 Toby rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
This book had a lot of amazing looking recipes and information. I rate this only 4 stars because I received an ARC which was in black and white and the illustrations were lacking because of that. I assume that the color copy would be better, probably making it 5-star worthy.

*disclaimer* I won this book through the Goodreads First Reads Giveaway, but my review is 100% honest.
Jen
Jan 10, 2013 Jen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks, nutrition
This is the cookbook I've been looking for! Great recipes using nutrient dense food, yes please!
Denise
May 01, 2013 Denise rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Recommended by a friend who is vegan. Great, healthy recipes. Copied many but haven't tried them yet.
Larisa
May 23, 2012 Larisa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Hardbound
Janet
Jun 14, 2014 Janet rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbook
There are some really tasty recipes in here, but also a few that remind me of some of the gruely, tasteless dishes I made in college, living on the cheap.
Molly
Jan 10, 2016 Molly rated it it was amazing
Love the educational intro about superfoods. Made one recipe and it was a hit all around! Look forward to making more.
Becca
Sep 17, 2012 Becca rated it really liked it

Great reference guide for cooking with foods most of us have no idea how to use.
Jamie Outlaw
Apr 24, 2013 Jamie Outlaw rated it really liked it
This book had lots of good ideas and some decent information. If you're interested in nutrition, this is a good book to read.
Iamabibliophile
Mar 29, 2013 Iamabibliophile rated it it was amazing
Althought it's very unlikely that I can find most of the ingredients in this book in my area or at a price I can afford, this cookbook is great! I'm looking forward to sampling the recipes.
Stephanie
Jun 22, 2013 Stephanie rated it really liked it
I won this book through a Good Reads giveaway.

I was was a little bummed that the advance copy was in black and white. However, it has many healthy recipes that I am excited to try this summer!
Heather Howard
Heather Howard rated it it was ok
Jan 22, 2016
jyl
jyl rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2014
Kim Friedman
Kim Friedman rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2013
Linda
Linda rated it liked it
Nov 25, 2014
Erin Persinger
Erin Persinger rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2015
Alison K worker
Alison K worker rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2016
Fran Putnam
Fran Putnam rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2014
  • Cookin' Crunk: Eatin' Vegan in the Dirty South
  • Power Foods: 150 Delicious Recipes with the 38 Healthiest Ingredients
  • Sticky Fingers' Sweets: 100 Super-Secret Vegan Recipes
  • The Inspired Vegan: Seasonal Ingredients, Creative Recipes, Mouthwatering Menus
  • The Longevity Kitchen: Satisfying, Big-Flavor Recipes Featuring the Top 16 Age-Busting Power Foods
  • Home-Cooked Vegan Comfort Food: More Than 200 Belly-Filling, Lip-Smacking Recipes
  • Thrive Energy Cookbook: 150 Plant-Based Whole Food Recipes
  • Pure Vegan: 70 Recipes for Beautiful Meals and Clean Living
  • The Best Veggie Burgers on the Planet: 101 Globally Inspired Vegan Creations Packed with Fresh Flavors and Exciting New Tastes
  • Candle 79 Cookbook: Modern Vegan Classics from New York's Premier Sustainable Restaurant
  • The Artful Vegan: Fresh Flavors from the Millennium Restaurant
  • The Homemade Vegan Pantry: The Art of Making Your Own Staples
  • Spork-Fed: Super Fun and Flavorful Vegan Recipes from the Sisters of Spork Foods
  • The New Whole Foods Encyclopedia: A Comprehensive Resource for Healthy Eating
  • Chloe's Vegan Desserts: More than 100 Exciting New Recipes for Cookies and Pies, Tarts and Cobblers, Cupcakes and Cakes--and More!
  • Vedge: 100 Plates Large and Small That Redefine Vegetable Cooking