The Guy Under the Sheets: The Unauthorized Autobiography

The Guy Under the Sheets: The Unauthorized Autobiography

3.37 of 5 stars 3.37  ·  rating details  ·  97 ratings  ·  15 reviews
The explosive, unauthorized autobiography of Emmy-award winning actor and comedian Chris Elliott - a behind-the-scenes memoir so personal, so provocative, that Elliott nearly sued himself to halt publication.
Published October 11th 2012 by Blue Rider Press

To ask other readers questions about The Guy Under the Sheets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Guy Under the Sheets

Scott
A bit of a fall from greatness for Elliottphiles like myself, "The Guy Under the Sheets" is his fourth novel and second fake autobiography. His first fake biography, "Daddy's Boy," was pretty funny and sweetly absurd. This attempt has moments of genius and high hilarity, but a little truly does go a long way. Even at a paltry 240 pages or so, this book feels padded and repetitive.

"The Shroud of the Thwacker" was the last novel I read from him and I thought it was one of the funniest and smartest...more
Leslie Langtry
As reviewed at Bookendbabes.com:

The Guy Under The Sheets by Chris Elliott, reviewed by Leslie Langtry

Posted on November 1, 2012 by Leslie Langtry

He had me at “Damp”.

Actually, I’ve been a fan of Chris Elliott since his weird and wonderful tv show, GET A LIFE. It appears he’s written a book. Well, I guess he’s written other books too, but this is the first time I noticed.

If you don’t know who Chris Elliott is – try this: If you are my parents, Chris Elliott is the son of Bob Elliott of the comedy...more
Warnie B.
I mean, it's Chris Elliott, what do you want?

You'll probably really enjoy this, if you're an Elliott fan, if you can handle jokes that are sometimes ridiculous, sometimes gross, sometimes stupid, sometimes in extremely poor taste, and sometimes just completely nonsensical, and if you can handle the fact that this autobiography is pretty much entirely a work of fiction. It's basically a spoof of the traditional celebrity auto/biography.

I thought it was pretty hilarious.

I suppose we have John Gott...more
Chris
Very disappointed. I'm a big Chris Elliott fan and expected this book to be hilarious. It absolutely wasn't. Perhaps print isn't the best medium for Elliott's sense of humor. He falls into the trap of many books that are supposed to be funny: the jokes simply can't sustain the reader for the length of a book. This book would have been a lot better and probably a lot funnier if it had been a true and accurate version of Elliott's life. That or it might have worked on film but as a book I just did...more
Beth Newman
Not as absurdly endearing as 'Daddy's Boy', but certainly funny. I don't think Elliot's fans will be disappointed.
Cindy
I won this book in a Goodreads First Reads Giveaway.

I couldn't do it, sorry Chris!

I wanted to like this fake Chris Elliot bio but I couldn't. It was too surreal. Like a string of inside jokes that leave you out in the cold, or a bad dream you can't interpret. I got a few chuckles from the first chapter but it was all downhill from there.

I loved his character Peter from Everybody Loves Raymond and I remember him vaguely from Letterman. Never saw his movie. The other reviewers mentioned his first...more
Katrina Knittle
Good reads win. Will read and review once received.

This is a first book for me from this author. I would say I definitely found it interesting and enjoyable. Throughout this fake autobiography there was a lot of laughing moments for me. Definitely a read for those who love to laugh.
Beatnik  Mary
In response to Goodreads' new user policy, I have decided to no longer post reviews on this site. Instead you can read my review on my blog, Cozy Little Book Journal, or follow the link above.

Marcie Sasso
CHRIS ELLIOTT is a nut. Although I can't say that this is the best written book I ever read, I really enjoyed the stories within. It certainly envoked Chris Elliott throughout. A must read for fans of Chris.
Ashley
Disappointing. I didn't find it at all funny, just vaguely annoying. I thought I might like it as I find him funny in person but I don't think I laughed once.
Dennis
If you like the comedy of Chris Elliott, then this is the book for you. It's an offbeat history of Chris' career so far.
Jack Schultz
The best unauthorized autobiography I've ever read.
Brian Sendelbach
Should be taught in schools.
Elisa
I love Chris Elliot
Beth
Beth added it
Jun 11, 2014
Ed Flores
Ed Flores marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Peter Smith
Peter Smith marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Scott Mahler
Scott Mahler marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Scott Hamilton
Scott Hamilton marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Austin Lomeli
Austin Lomeli marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Richard J. Smith
Richard J. Smith marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Jarond Suman
Jarond Suman marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
The Shroud of the Thwacker Daddy's Boy: A Son's Shocking Account of Life with a Famous Father Into Hot Air: Mounting Mount Everest Thought Shredder Into Hot Air: Another "Novel" by Chris Elliott