Start by marking “Zombie Movies: The Ultimate Guide” as Want to Read:
Zombie Movies: The Ultimate Guide

Zombie Movies: The Ultimate Guide

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  250 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Featuring chronological reviews ofmore than300 zombie films—from 1932's White Zombie to the AMC series The Walking Deadthis thorough,uproarious guide traces theevolution ofone of horror cinema’s most popular and terrifying creations. Fans will learn exactly what makes a zombie a zombie,go behind the sceneswith a chilling production diary fromLand of the Dead, peruse a biz ...more
Published October 1st 2012 by Chicago Review Press (first published October 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Zombie Movies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zombie Movies

Todd Stockslager
Kay's A-to-Zombie encyclopedia traces the history of zombies from their start with 1932's "White Zombie", and lists every zombie movie ever made. And boy have there been some stinkers in this genre.

978-0-306-81566-9, a similar effort to list the best B-movies, a category of which most zombie movies would be a part, includes only two zombies: "I Walked with a Zombie" (1943) and "Tales from the Crypt" (1972).

While most zombies through the 1960s have at least some touch-point with the historical z
Matthew Baker
Ok, zombie fans...put down that DVD player remote and check this out: I have found a Must Have book for you! ZOMBIE MOVIES: THE ULTIMATE GUIDE (2nd edition) is an exhaustively comprehensive look into the history and cultivation of the zombie movie genre. Within these pages are the culmination of hours and hours of research and legwork, and the result is an amazing guide to the dead in cinema. Go ahead and jot this title down because I guarantee that you’ll want this book.

Whether you are a casual
I'm a big fan of zombie movies, so it makes sense that I would devour any reference guides for said films. I already have a bunch, and when a new one comes about, or a new-ish one, as this was published a few years ago, I want to add it to the collection.

As you can imagine, one of the perils of that is that there are so many ways to go over the same information again and again. Unfortunately, this book suffers from comparison to other, better works in the same field. The informal tone doesn't h
I want to like this book SO BAD, if for no other reason than I've yet to see anything that is so incredibly comprehensive. Kay's reviews aren't anything to go nuts about, but maybe i'm more partial to the passion & vitriol of Chas Balun. The problem I have with this book is Kay's unfortunate positive review for Romero's 2008 "Diary of the Dead". For me, this is pretty much a dealer breaker in terms of Kay having much credibility. Anyone who claims to be a Romero fan, let alone a zombie fan, ...more
Lindy Loo
This book was missing a few notables: namely BLACK SHEEP (about zombie sheep) and SHIVERS (which should've been included in the section on movies that were SORTA zombie movies), but otherwise, totally worth checking out. Organizes the movies by era. Devotes several pages to more noteworthy zombie flicks like NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD. Includes some fascinating facts, such as the reason that NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD is now public domain. Has a good, quick-access review system. And offers their Top ...more
I read most of this book. I love zombie movies and set out to read this from cover to cover; however, about mid way through, I lost the drive to finish. The beginning was interesting since it covered the origin of the zombie movie and reviewed a lot of old black and white films that I sought out and rented but I started to lose interest when it got into the Asian zombie movies and the more recent zombie movies that I had already seen (very recently).

For a casual zombie movie fan, this is a good
I decided to read this book as I wish to engage in scholarly research related to zombies and contemporary theories of the body/embodiment, etc.
This is just what you need if you want a detailed but very readable compendium of all the movies on zombies. The timeline is particularly useful, with clear cut periods that make very understandable the evolution of the interest in the genre and the different perspectives from which it has been represented.
The marks that the author gave to the films are u
As an introduction to the genre, I suppose it's adequate; more comprehensive, at least, than previous books on the topic. But I would have liked more about the societal reflections on the genre; Kay talks about what social implications (or lack thereof) exist in certain movies, but doesn't go into the why part. And certain films are relegated to capsule reviews while other, sometimes inferior, movies get the full treatment.
This is an alright book, somewhat not as in depth as others and the top 25 at the end is a bit obnoxious. Not many surprises but perhaps the canon of Zombie films is tired, in many cases the author starts reaching for what are clearly not zombie films, but after a while it gets tiring having excuses. There will eventually be a less fanboy book on Zombie films. One day.
Brian Sammons
This is for the upcoming 2nd Edition. I found this to be a very comprehensive and fun book. My full review of this can be found here: But for a quick and dirty review: if you love zombie flicks then you should probably get this book.
this sure was a fun read. I especially liked the author's rating system and the interview with fulci's daughter. and the poster gallery is pretty cool too. happy he included Let Sleeping Corpses Lie and The Beyond, 2 of my favorites.
If you, like me, believe that almost any film can benefit from the conceit of the recently deceased returning to life to feed on the living, this book should be your bible.
Oct 09, 2012 Guillermo rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All Zombie Fans
Recommended to Guillermo by: The Editor
If you are a Zombies Fan, it is a MUST HAVE!
Check my Full Review here
John Cozzoli
Concise reviews, lots of movies arranged chronologically. A solid reference for any zombie-movie lover.
Carlos A
Carlos A marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2015
Max marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2015
Jennifer Beadle
Jennifer Beadle marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2015
Brandon Nash
Brandon Nash marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2015
Evelyn marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2015
Jenny Cazzola
Jenny Cazzola marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2015
Teddy marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2015
Kylie marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2015
Brad Mills
Brad Mills marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2015
  • Zombies for Zombies: Advice and Etiquette for the Living Dead
  • Grindhouse: The Sleaze-Filled Saga of an Exploitation Double Feature
  • Nightmare USA: The Untold Story of the Exploitation Independents
  • Film Noir: An Encyclopedic Reference to the American Style
  • Pre-Code Hollywood: Sex, Immorality, and Insurrection in American Cinema; 1930-1934
  • Videohound's Cult Flicks and Trash Pics