Fortune's Hero (Soldiers of Fortune, #1)

Fortune's Hero (Soldiers of Fortune #1)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  58 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Quinn Conlan had it all: a fast ship, a great crew, a gorgeous girlfriend, money, and adventure around every bend. That was before he agreed to ferry a shipload of weapons to the besieged planet Marica. Now he’s stuck in the prison colony on Marica-3, enduring weekly sessions with the camp’s “medical team,” and praying for a quick death before he breaks under the torture a...more
Published December 11th 2012 by Entangled Select (first published August 7th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Fortune's Hero, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fortune's Hero

Patricia Eimer
There are a few things you should know about me at the beginning of this review.

1.) I don’t like man vs. nature stories. I don’t. I never have. I’ve never made it all the way through most of the classic movies of man v. nature: The African Queen, any of the Indiana Jones movies, I haven’t even made it through Romancing the Stone and for Heaven’s sake that one is about a ROMANCE WRITER. I mean that one should be an obvious like for me right? Nope.

2.) I don’t really like sci-fi romance. I’ve tri...more
Cynjin
Yep, the pace is slow. Yep, there are some things that make you go hmmmm, like: They're on a planet where the only facility is a prison. The H has been badly, badly tortured. He manages to escape, with a hostage, to a flat, inhospitable terrain - and they aren't recaptured in minutes? The reason for the underground scene totally escaped me for quite awhile, until I worked out a reason that satisfied me.

However, by the end of the book, I was mad...because I'm dying to know what happens next! The...more
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
I loved this book and read it as soon as I got a review copy. It was not due out for severla months and I put it back to review near it's release date. Then it fell through the cracks and I am just getting around to writing it up. It is a great story with very good characters. The writing is crisp and clean and the story moves in a well though out manner. My only complaint was the ending. I hope there will be a sequel as there was not a very good conclusion to the story.
Sandy Williams
Well, that ending was sudden! It didn't quite feel complete either, because there was still a heck of a lot to do to get everyone's butts out of trouble. But I guess maybe we'll learn more about how Quinn and co get out of Marican space in the next book? Hope so.

I enjoyed this book. Quinn, the hero, was freaking awesome. Seriously. Read the book and you'll have a mad crush on him to, if you like Han Solo-like heroes. (I do.)

Elsa was alright. Honestly, I just think I held a grudge against her thr...more
M.E.
When the author described the book as "Indiana Jones meets Firefly," I was hooked. I love Indiana Jones. I love Firefly. Together? Of course I had to read it.

Welcome to Marica-3, prison world and torture palace. That's unfortunate for the hero, Quinn Conlan, whose gun-smuggling activities for the Marican resistance have landed him in hot water with the militaristic Rhenians and the diabolical Dr. Sterling. Don't let that "doctor" title fool you, because Sterling isn't as interested in the health...more
Rhianna
Good FORTUNE for Scifi Romance Lovers

I love the blending of science fiction and romance. It's one of my favorite subgenres, but it's just not as popular as its cousins, paranormal and time-travel. So, when I find a new series of scifi romance that can blend the best of scifi and a sexy romance I sit up and take notice. If you're the same way you are going to love FORTUNE'S HERO.

While I wouldn't quite compare Quinn Conlan to Han Solo, scifi fans who love the hero with a questionable sense of mora...more
Charlee
Quinn Conlan was caught smuggling weapons to the Marican resistance and he and his crew were sent to the prison colony on Marica-3 where he has died, many times, rather than reveal what he knows about the rebels. Each time the torture ends his life, the medical team drags him back, so they can begin again. After months of hell, he’s no longer afraid of dying. If he thought it would stick, he’d probably be longing for it.

He has no skin in the resistance or their war and has no reason to be loyal...more
Marlene
This dual review was originally posted at Book Lovers Inc.

Has: When I first encountered the premise of a Sci Fi prison break typesque romance it was no contest that I would want to pick this book up! Quinn a smuggler, is captured, imprisoned and tortured for information about the rebels he has been helping with supplies. But he has refused to let the Rhenian authorities to break him down or to betray the Marican rebellion. But during a torture session, Quinn manages to escape with a hostage, Els...more
Sandra
This was somewhere between 2 and 3 stars for me. I like the setting and the development of the relationship between Quinn and Elsa and the relationship itself. I wasn't crazy about the torture and the rape that happen in the prison. These make sense for the story, but they are just topics that I don't enjoy reading about. However the 2 major things I had gripes with were Elsa's active participation in the torture not only of Quinn but of other prisoners (note she only stops because she falls for...more
Maggie
Captain Quinn Conlan hit rock bottom on Marica. Betrayed by his girlfriend, he and his crew are stuck in a prison. The medical team has tried to break him repeatedly – bringing him to the point of death over and over again, but he won’t tell what he knows about the Marican resistance.

Elsa, the tech who monitors Quinn’s life signs, admires the strength in the captain and falls for him in a big way. When he escapes, she is his hostage. But his re-capture has her re-evaluating her life goals.

Was a...more
Has
My full review can be found here at Book Lovers Inc as a joint review with Marlene.

Quick thoughts and mini reivew:

This had a great premise, of a prison break in a barren planet which is run by a fascist like goverment. However the pace was pretty slow and plodding despite a great buildup with the romance and some inconsistencies with the plot. This is more of a 2 and half stars for me.
Travis Mohrman
I thought this book was really cool. I snagged it for free I think and then sat on it for awhile because the cover kind of turned me off. Looked a little too "romancy" for my tastes. While there was an element of that, it wasn't overwhelming in the least.
Solid storyline, good characters. I sincerely hope this author is writing more in this world.
Jeshu
1.5 stars.I didn't enjoy this read at all, even though it had all the required elements for an enjoyable read. It didn't work. And that ending was a huge MEH.
Susan Lee
I enjoyed this very much. Especially the heroine's evolution into a good guy. I can't wait for the sequel.
Senda
This book reminded me a lot of Anne McCaffrey at her prime--Killashandra style.
Wanderlust
Sophia
Sophia added it
Sep 07, 2014
Penny
Penny marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Jeri
Jeri added it
Aug 26, 2014
Bastet
Bastet marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Desi Alonso
Desi Alonso marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Anu
Anu added it
Jun 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Jenna Bennett writes the USA Today bestselling Cutthroat Business mysteries featuring Southern Belle and new-minted real estate agent Savannah Martin in Nashville, Tennessee.

As Jennie Bentley, she writes the New York Times bestselling Do-It-Yourself Home Renovation mysteries from Berkley Prime Crime, featuring designer and amateur sleuth Avery Baker and her boyfriend, handyman Derek Ellis, who ren...more
More about Jenna Bennett...
A Cutthroat Business (A Savannah Martin Mystery, #1) Before You (Sex on the Beach Anthology) Hot Property (A Savannah Martin Mystery, #2) Contract Pending (A Savannah Martin Mystery, #3) Close to Home (A Savannah Martin Mystery, #4)