Start by marking “Fortune's Hero (Soldiers of Fortune, #1)” as Want to Read:
Fortune's Hero (Soldiers of Fortune, #1)

Fortune's Hero (Soldiers of Fortune #1)

Quinn Conlan had it all: a fast ship, a great crew, a gorgeous girlfriend, money, and adventure around every bend. That was before he agreed to ferry a shipload of weapons to the besieged planet Marica. Now he’s stuck in the prison colony on Marica-3, enduring weekly sessions with the camp’s “medical team,” and praying for a quick death before he breaks under the torture a ...more
Published December 24th 2012 by Entangled: Select (first published August 7th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Fortune's Hero, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fortune's Hero

Patricia Eimer
Dec 18, 2012 Patricia Eimer rated it it was amazing
There are a few things you should know about me at the beginning of this review.

1.) I don’t like man vs. nature stories. I don’t. I never have. I’ve never made it all the way through most of the classic movies of man v. nature: The African Queen, any of the Indiana Jones movies, I haven’t even made it through Romancing the Stone and for Heaven’s sake that one is about a ROMANCE WRITER. I mean that one should be an obvious like for me right? Nope.

2.) I don’t really like sci-fi romance. I’ve tri
Cynjin
Nov 19, 2012 Cynjin rated it liked it
Yep, the pace is slow. Yep, there are some things that make you go hmmmm, like: They're on a planet where the only facility is a prison. The H has been badly, badly tortured. He manages to escape, with a hostage, to a flat, inhospitable terrain - and they aren't recaptured in minutes? The reason for the underground scene totally escaped me for quite awhile, until I worked out a reason that satisfied me.

However, by the end of the book, I was mad...because I'm dying to know what happens next! The
Lucy
Jul 08, 2015 Lucy rated it really liked it
This was 3 1/2 to 4 stars, the last part being a little flat for me. Captain Quinn Conlan and his spaceship crew have been captured and imprisoned in a Rhenish prison. Their crime--weapons smuggling to native insurgents in a planetary system the Rhenish have taken over. The Major in charge of the prison has had the prison doctor and his beautiful assistant, Elsa, torture the Captain to death over and over again, only to be revived by Elsa for more torture in an effort to get information on the i ...more
Marlene
Nov 19, 2012 Marlene rated it liked it
This dual review was originally posted at Book Lovers Inc.

Has: When I first encountered the premise of a Sci Fi prison break typesque romance it was no contest that I would want to pick this book up! Quinn a smuggler, is captured, imprisoned and tortured for information about the rebels he has been helping with supplies. But he has refused to let the Rhenian authorities to break him down or to betray the Marican rebellion. But during a torture session, Quinn manages to escape with a hostage, Els
Rhianna
Jan 17, 2013 Rhianna rated it it was amazing
Good FORTUNE for Scifi Romance Lovers

I love the blending of science fiction and romance. It's one of my favorite subgenres, but it's just not as popular as its cousins, paranormal and time-travel. So, when I find a new series of scifi romance that can blend the best of scifi and a sexy romance I sit up and take notice. If you're the same way you are going to love FORTUNE'S HERO.

While I wouldn't quite compare Quinn Conlan to Han Solo, scifi fans who love the hero with a questionable sense of mora
M.E.
Jan 18, 2013 M.E. rated it really liked it
When the author described the book as "Indiana Jones meets Firefly," I was hooked. I love Indiana Jones. I love Firefly. Together? Of course I had to read it.

Welcome to Marica-3, prison world and torture palace. That's unfortunate for the hero, Quinn Conlan, whose gun-smuggling activities for the Marican resistance have landed him in hot water with the militaristic Rhenians and the diabolical Dr. Sterling. Don't let that "doctor" title fool you, because Sterling isn't as interested in the health
Charlee Allden
Feb 16, 2013 Charlee Allden rated it it was amazing
Quinn Conlan was caught smuggling weapons to the Marican resistance and he and his crew were sent to the prison colony on Marica-3 where he has died, many times, rather than reveal what he knows about the rebels. Each time the torture ends his life, the medical team drags him back, so they can begin again. After months of hell, he’s no longer afraid of dying. If he thought it would stick, he’d probably be longing for it.

He has no skin in the resistance or their war and has no reason to be loyal
Sandy Williams
Feb 05, 2013 Sandy Williams rated it really liked it
Well, that ending was sudden! It didn't quite feel complete either, because there was still a heck of a lot to do to get everyone's butts out of trouble. But I guess maybe we'll learn more about how Quinn and co get out of Marican space in the next book? Hope so.

I enjoyed this book. Quinn, the hero, was freaking awesome. Seriously. Read the book and you'll have a mad crush on him to, if you like Han Solo-like heroes. (I do.)

Elsa was alright. Honestly, I just think I held a grudge against her thr
Sandra
Oct 13, 2013 Sandra rated it liked it
This was somewhere between 2 and 3 stars for me. I like the setting and the development of the relationship between Quinn and Elsa and the relationship itself. I wasn't crazy about the torture and the rape that happen in the prison. These make sense for the story, but they are just topics that I don't enjoy reading about. However the 2 major things I had gripes with were Elsa's active participation in the torture not only of Quinn but of other prisoners (note she only stops because she falls for ...more
Maggie
Oct 19, 2013 Maggie rated it it was amazing
Captain Quinn Conlan hit rock bottom on Marica. Betrayed by his girlfriend, he and his crew are stuck in a prison. The medical team has tried to break him repeatedly – bringing him to the point of death over and over again, but he won’t tell what he knows about the Marican resistance.

Elsa, the tech who monitors Quinn’s life signs, admires the strength in the captain and falls for him in a big way. When he escapes, she is his hostage. But his re-capture has her re-evaluating her life goals.

Was a
Rea
Jun 12, 2015 Rea rated it it was amazing
I absolutely adored this story, but my friend hated it. So it would seem that it has to be your cup of tea for it to work for you.

I tend to read more fantasy than sci-fi, but I do like to dabble in sci-fi from time to time as well. I really enjoyed the prison planet setting here, and the slow-building romance was right up my alley.

It had all the right ingredients and I was in the perfect state of mind to make this one of my favourite reads of 2013.

The ending makes it obvious that the story isn'
Denise Malone
May 23, 2015 Denise Malone rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. Jenna's descriptions sucked me in and made me believe I was watching everything first hand rather than through the narrator's eyes. I know that she started out writing cozy mysteries, but she wrote sex scenes in this book that were hot, hot, hot. I loved the chemistry that developed over the course of the book. I fell in love with Quinn in this book. I can't wait for more in this series.
Claire McFall
Dec 31, 2015 Claire McFall rated it really liked it
Four is maybe a touch on the generous side, but I'd feel very stingy giving this story 3*. It's well written and I liked the H/h dynamic.

Didn't like the amount of involvement h had with torture and nastiness - :( - but my main issue was the ending. I don't really like cliff-hangers, but I like them even less when they aren't cliffhangers but abruptly stopping in the middle of the action. That's okay in a serial, not so much in a novel.
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
I loved this book and read it as soon as I got a review copy. It was not due out for severla months and I put it back to review near it's release date. Then it fell through the cracks and I am just getting around to writing it up. It is a great story with very good characters. The writing is crisp and clean and the story moves in a well though out manner. My only complaint was the ending. I hope there will be a sequel as there was not a very good conclusion to the story.
Has
Nov 16, 2012 Has rated it it was ok
Shelves: e-arc, sci-fi-romance
My full review can be found here at Book Lovers Inc as a joint review with Marlene.

Quick thoughts and mini reivew:

This had a great premise, of a prison break in a barren planet which is run by a fascist like goverment. However the pace was pretty slow and plodding despite a great buildup with the romance and some inconsistencies with the plot. This is more of a 2 and half stars for me.
Pixelinchen
Travis Mohrman
May 14, 2013 Travis Mohrman rated it really liked it
I thought this book was really cool. I snagged it for free I think and then sat on it for awhile because the cover kind of turned me off. Looked a little too "romancy" for my tastes. While there was an element of that, it wasn't overwhelming in the least.
Solid storyline, good characters. I sincerely hope this author is writing more in this world.
DA4Pups
Entire book 1 can be found in Fortune's Hero (Soldiers of Fortune Book 1) ASIN: B00T8ATEAU - this is 85 pages (Part 1) of Fortune's Hero (Soldiers of Fortune Book 1)
Susan Lee
Jul 23, 2014 Susan Lee rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this very much. Especially the heroine's evolution into a good guy. I can't wait for the sequel.
Jeshu
1.5 stars.I didn't enjoy this read at all, even though it had all the required elements for an enjoyable read. It didn't work. And that ending was a huge MEH.
Bev
Bev rated it really liked it
Mar 11, 2013
Clarabelle Leigh Davis
Clarabelle Leigh Davis rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2016
Jenni Ebba
Jenni Ebba rated it liked it
Dec 24, 2012
Kourtney
Kourtney rated it it was amazing
Oct 14, 2015
Dísir
Dísir rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2015
Kelly
Kelly rated it it was amazing
Feb 24, 2013
Shannon Zak
Shannon Zak rated it it was amazing
Mar 01, 2014
Natteld
Natteld rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2015
Liz Milliron
Liz Milliron rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Caught in Amber
  • Wreck of the Nebula Dream
  • Alien Blood (Diaspora Worlds, #2)
  • Final Protocol
  • Deadly Pursuit (Dark Desires #2)
  • In the Devil's Nebula (The Phoenix Adventures, #2)
  • Keir (Redemption, #1)
  • Tales From The SFR Brigade
  • The Gaia Gambit (Gaian Consortium, #3)
  • Heart of Steel
  • Hotter on the Edge (Hotter on the Edge #1)
  • Shades of Dark (Dock Five Universe, #2)
  • Prophecy (Prophecy, #1)
  • Captive (The Survival Race #1)
  • Blood Moons (Blood and Shadows, #1)
  • Carnelians (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #14)
  • IceFlight (Iron Alter Trilogy, #1)
  • My Name Is A'yen (A'yen's Legacy #1)
Jenna Bennett writes the USA Today bestselling Cutthroat Business mysteries featuring Southern Belle and new-minted real estate agent Savannah Martin in Nashville, Tennessee.

As Jennie Bentley, she writes the New York Times bestselling Do-It-Yourself Home Renovation mysteries from Berkley Prime Crime, featuring designer and amateur sleuth Avery Baker and her boyfriend, handyman Derek Ellis, who ren
More about Jenna Bennett...

Soldiers of Fortune (2 books)
  • Fortune's Honor (Soldiers of Fortune, #2)