Start by marking “Old Man” as Want to Read:
Old Man

Old Man

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  88 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Just as summer vacation is about to arrive, Nate Huffman's plans are unexpectedly shelved for the most unlikely of reasons: the reappearance of his estranged father. Not only is the old man back, he's got this goofy idea about a road trip the two of them will take.

Nate finds himself in a pickup with a man he can't stand. His father wants to reconnect, and he wants Nate to
Published February 19th 2013 by Dundurn (first published January 26th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Old Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Old Man

This is Not a Test by Courtney SummersLive to Tell by Lisa HarringtonThe Fall by Colleen NelsonOne in Every Crowd by Ivan E. CoyoteNix Minus One by Jill MacLean
White Pine Nominations 2014
6th out of 10 books — 14 voters
The Fault in Our Stars by John GreenTolomay's World and The Pool of Light by M.E. LordeIf I Stay by Gayle FormanAll Good Children by Catherine AustenRapture by Lauren Kate
Books I Want To Buy
44th out of 130 books — 16 voters

More lists with this book...

Susan Toy
The first thought that came to mind when I heard the title of David A. Poulsen's new book, "Old Man," was the Neil Young song of the same name. So it was no surprise when I saw that Poulsen had cited the first couple of lines from Young's song in his epigraphs. Very fitting for this terrific book about a teenager, Nate, coming to terms with a father he's never known, who suddenly comes back into his life, ruining well-laid plans for the summer by taking him on a magical mystery tour that proves ...more
Debbie
Old Man, tells the story of 15 year old Nathan Huffman (Nate), who out of the blue hears from his (Old man) father, Larry. Larry is the kind of father who would phone and send cards on birthdays and holidays. Larry left Nathan and his mother when Nathan was just 5 for a 19 year lady. It was obvious that Larry liked younger women, because Nathan’s mom was 27 and Larry was 47 when Nathan was born.

Out of the blue one day Larry ends up calling to see if Nate can spend 3 weeks of his Summer vacation,
Vanessa
Quite a realistic depiction of how scarred soldiers of wars are. I've always heard that soldiers often struggle with PTSD (stress disorder), etc. but I never knew how they would truly feel. Poulsen did a great job on describing just how emotionally and mentally unstable a victim of war becomes.

His son was a regular teenager that was into girls, had a home, got an education. Throughout the book, there were snippets of Nate doing regular-21st-century teenagers would do. (Maybe I'm just over thinki
Anastasia202
Old Man by David Poulsen, a novel characterized by its heavy and difficult-to-comprehend moral, yet typical modern setting and rather common, usual plot. This was my selected fiction novel from the White Pines list (for school), and I personally regard this is the best fiction prose from this list.
1. Nate; 16-year old male typical teenage narrator, protagonist and antagonist to himself; receives unexpected phone call from estranged father, Larry, who left family when Nate was only four.
2. Toge
Me
I appreciate what this book attempted to do. I think it really did try to bring in certain serious topics, that it really did mean well. However for a couple of reasons it didn't quite work out, and they kind of put me off the novel.

I feel that it's always considered an improvement to a character when they move past their fixation for someone. I just cannot stand books that take this approach.

The serious topics that were brought out in this book, weren't treated 'right' in my opinion. PTSD is s
David R
When reading David A Poulsen's latest teen/adult crossover novel, Old Man, the reader first sees the author's note that states, "This book is not for everyone." It is part of Poulsen's warning about the book's realism in dealing with a world 'out there' from a time 'back then'. Old Man is, in fact, a gritty drama about fifteen year-old Nate Huffman preparing for life, the past ten years without his father. We learn in the novel's first lines that Nate "...never call him Dad again."

Poulsen pulls
Josianne
It was good but it left me with a weird feeling. The characters' reactions to things were anything but normal, making it hard to understand their motivations for things. I could never really get into the story. There were times when I had no idea how the main character stayed so calm and introspective. If I were in some of those situations, I would probably run away screaming.
The plot was okay and it was enjoyable enough, though I wouldn't necessarily recommend it.
Diana Thompson
I read this book because it is a 2014 white pine award nominee. I didn't care for the attitude of the teen-age protagonist, but suspect it may be dead-on for teenage age boys. I did like the ending, though I did not appreciate the lack of transparency between the two. Was the marriage break-down and the lack of interest in his son a product of PTSD. It is not clear. Overall, I did like the book.
(tina) (hiatus: school)
Teenager spends a summer with enstranged dad, finds out about his past and why he does the things he does. At the end, goes like "thanks dad, i understand now" WTF. this is so stupid. (view spoiler) ...more
Sylvia McNicoll
A father attempts to forge a last minute bond with his son by taking him for a revisit of his war memories on a surprise trip to Viet Nam. Teenaged Nate is not quick to forgive an older dad who abandoned him (when he was five) and his mom for a younger dental hygienist. But the reader and main character grow to have a greater understanding of what he and other veterans experienced in an unpopular war. While there are scenes depicting war cruelty, because they're filtered through a memory, they a ...more
Laura Sundal
It was alright but the main character as a pain in the ass.
Pamela McDowell
David captures Nate's conflicted emotions and insecurities perfectly. Nate's easy to like. He's an average teenage boy plunked down in a foreign land with a stranger and the reader quickly begins to care about what happens to him. The descriptions of Vietnam - the sights, smells and cacophony of sound - create a vibrant sense of place. I would definitely recommend this novel for mature teens, 13 years and older.
Jamila
I thought this book was great, a lot of fuzzy feelings in the heart place. I loved how witty Nate was, his sarcasm was probably my favourite part of the book. Overall this is just a really great read.
Emily
Dec 22, 2013 Emily rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
I may or may not have cried at the end so 3.5/5 stars.
my review on my blog -> http://emilyspeaking.blogspot.ca/2013...
Megan
Amazing book! It was absolutely wonderful!!
Hibiki
Hibiki added it
Dec 08, 2014
Maisie
Maisie added it
Nov 27, 2014
Kat
Kat marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Jack
Jack marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Joyce
Joyce marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Alana
Alana marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
David A. Poulsen has been a rodeo competitor and rodeo clown, rock singer, high school football coach, stage and film actor, documentary television writer and host, and college English instructor. Since retiring from rodeo competition - he admits to being a not-very-good bareback rider and later an accident-prone rodeo clown, David Poulsen has taken up residence in announcer's stands across North ...more
More about David A. Poulsen...
Last Sam's Cage The Vampire's Visit (Salt & Pepper Chronicles, #1) Numbers Serpents Rising (A Cobb and Cullen Mystery, #1) The Hunk Machine (Salt & Pepper Chronicles, #2)