Start by marking “Cold Fall (John Gardner's Bond, #16)” as Want to Read:
Cold Fall (John Gardner's Bond, #16)

Cold Fall (John Gardner's Bond #16)

3.28 of 5 stars 3.28  ·  rating details  ·  260 ratings  ·  13 reviews
The night that Flight 229 blew apart on landing at Washington's Dulles Airport, and the almost four hundred passengers aboard were killed, a mission began that would become an obsession for James Bond. Who was responsible for destroying the British-owned aircraft? Was it a straightforward act of terrorism, an assassination aimed at only one person, or a move to put the air ...more
Published June 4th 1996 by Putnam Adult (first published May 2nd 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Cold Fall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cold Fall

Carson
While COLD FALL followed the pattern of many of the Gardner 007 novels: good detail, a splattering of interesting characters and then a bit of a lackluster climax, it was the James Bond I had been wanting to see for so many books. In this one, he really felt like he was back - for the most part.

COLD FALL literally leads us right up to GOLDENEYE, but does so in a way that is quite captivating; beginning in 1990 and incorporating many Fleming and earlier Gardner plot elements and characters, this
Steve Mitchell
John Gardner’s sixteenth – and final – contribution to the James Bond series sees the writer trying to put straight discrepancies in the plotline. The book is split in two with the first part taking place before Never Send Flowers and the second part immediately after Seafire. (This also ignores Gardner’s single line in GoldenEye that tries to correct the problem but now only exacerbates it!)
Part one: Bond is sent to Washington following the destruction of a British airliner in a terrorist attac
Ryan Scicluna

This is what I said before realizing that the first part of the story takes place before the book 'Never Send Flowers' and the second part after 'Seafire'. This should really have been 2 separate books as it would have been much more engaging. Sure the first book would have finished in a somewhat disappointing way but it would have given the last book by Gradner the weight it deserves in tying all the lose ends he created in the series. He would have set us up, the readers into a culminating sto
Mark Wilson
I wasn't terribly impressed by this installment of the James Bond franchise. I am a huge fan of Ian Fleming's original series and I have yet to read another author who can come close to his standard. COLD was lacking the charm, sophistication and class of a Fleming novel. It was very flat in parts and didn't reach the standard I had hoped for. It had a few good moments, but was disappointing to say the least.
Geoff
I almost didn't finish "Cold Fall" due to disinterest. The plot felt recycled and the threat farfetched - putting it in the class with many of the Moore and Brosnan movies. Early Gardiner Bonds were more true to Fleming's style. This was disappointing. I finished only to complete the series by Gardiner but really that's the only reason to read it; "Cold Fall" doesn't hold up very well on its own.
Jerome
Cold Fall's plot isn't terrible, but John Gardner
did a shoddy job of writing. There were a bunch of discrepancies that a diehard Bond fanatic would notice. Bond's character did a few things he has never done before, like ordering beer instead of a martini. Like loving two women he had sex with. Like not being the hero because he called in "the cavalry" at the end of the book.
Lori
Audiobook. This bond novel was very interesting in that the character I know as Bond from the movies is much different than the one in this book. The book's character is more sensitive, more psychologically developed. The plot was a bit slow going in the middle, but quick paced in the beginning and end. A bit cliche toward the end, but okay. It's Bond, I expected it.
Brian Gilchrist
ummm.....meh? The time break in the plot is a novelty for a bond novel, but like most of Gardener's books, they end with quite a whimper. And I was quite disappointed in the character inconsistencies. Perhaps an appropriate sub title would be "to all the girls I've loved before "
Caroline
I loved all of Ian Fleming's Bond novels and was pleased when the Fleming estate allowed other authors to continue the series. James Bond will live forever, imho!
Wsprag
This book was not at all good compared to Ian Fleming's characterization of Bond. I can't recommend it, even to hard core fans.
Paul
James Bond book from 1996 where extreme right wing terroists threaten the United States.
Lugene
Still not as good as the original or the movies.
Charles
Really a great plot
Ali
Ali added it
Dec 17, 2014
Darragh
Darragh marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Marts  (Thinker)
Marts (Thinker) marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Trevor
Trevor marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Nautica
Nautica marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Seth C
Seth C marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Benjamin Thornton
Benjamin Thornton marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Ryan Nims
Ryan Nims marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Brian White
Brian White marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Nick
Nick marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
  • Never Dream of Dying (Raymond Benson's Bond, #5)
  • Colonel Sun (James Bond, #15)
  • James Bond, the Spy Who Loved Me
  • Solo: A James Bond Novel
  • James Bond: The Authorized Biography of 007
  • Devil May Care (James Bond, #36)
  • The Spy Who Loved Me (James Bond, #10)
  • Carte Blanche (James Bond)
  • Danger Society: The Young Bond Dossier
8190675
Before coming an author of fiction in the early 1960s, John Gardner was variously a stage magician, a Royal Marine officer and a journalist. In all, Gardner has fifty-four novels to his credit, including Maestro, which was the New York Times book of the year. He was also invited by Ian Fleming’s literary copyright holders to write a series of continuation James Bond novels, which proved to be so s ...more
More about John Gardner...
License Renewed (John Gardner's Bond, #1) Role of Honor (John Gardner's Bond, #4) Nobody Lives Forever (John Gardner's Bond, #5) GoldenEye (John Gardner's Bond, #15) For Special Services (John Gardner's Bond, #2)