Start by marking “Cold Fall (John Gardner's Bond, #16)” as Want to Read:
Cold Fall (John Gardner's Bond, #16)

Cold Fall (John Gardner's Bond #16)

The night that Flight 229 blew apart on landing at Washington's Dulles Airport, and the almost four hundred passengers aboard were killed, a mission began that would become an obsession for James Bond. Who was responsible for destroying the British-owned aircraft? Was it a straightforward act of terrorism, an assassination aimed at only one person, or a move to put the air ...more
Published June 4th 1996 by Putnam Adult (first published May 2nd 1996)

Alice
Nov 12, 2016 Alice rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spies, bond
I read a few of Gardner's Bond novels in my teens and found them utterly forgettable. This one was no exception.

Both the narrative voice and Bond's miss the mark uncomfortably. This is not my basically chivalrous, mildly sadistic, cruel-mouthed professional b*st*ard. It's some other dude who has to have his jokes tagged with "Bond quipped" just in case we didn't notice they were meant to be funny.

Plus points: some of it is now amusingly retro, e.g. the importance of PowerPCs.

Props to Gardner f
Katharine Ott
Jan 21, 2017 Katharine Ott rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery-thriller
"Cold Fall" - written by John Gardner and published in 1996 by Putnam Adult. It's James Bond, so that's good, but not an especially entertaining story.
Ryan Scicluna
Jun 01, 2013 Ryan Scicluna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: james-bond

This is what I said before realizing that the first part of the story takes place before the book 'Never Send Flowers' and the second part after 'Seafire'. This should really have been 2 separate books as it would have been much more engaging. Sure the first book would have finished in a somewhat disappointing way but it would have given the last book by Gradner the weight it deserves in tying all the lose ends he created in the series. He would have set us up, the readers into a culminating sto
Steve Mitchell
John Gardner’s sixteenth – and final – contribution to the James Bond series sees the writer trying to put straight discrepancies in the plotline. The book is split in two with the first part taking place before Never Send Flowers and the second part immediately after Seafire. (This also ignores Gardner’s single line in GoldenEye that tries to correct the problem but now only exacerbates it!)
Part one: Bond is sent to Washington following the destruction of a British airliner in a terrorist attac
Matt Raubenheimer
Thirteen years since I read my first John Gardner Bond novel (Scorpius) I have finally finished all of his contribution to the Bond series. They have always had mixed response from Bond fans, and his latter novels are mostly disregarded as poor entries in the canon. I have personally found them all to be enjoyable, at the very least passable thrillers with each of them containing at least one or two standout passages.

COLD has a particularly poor reputation, but I found it entertaining throughou
Carson
Aug 09, 2014 Carson rated it really liked it
While COLD FALL followed the pattern of many of the Gardner 007 novels: good detail, a splattering of interesting characters and then a bit of a lackluster climax, it was the James Bond I had been wanting to see for so many books. In this one, he really felt like he was back - for the most part.

COLD FALL literally leads us right up to GOLDENEYE, but does so in a way that is quite captivating; beginning in 1990 and incorporating many Fleming and earlier Gardner plot elements and characters, this
Bryan
Nov 15, 2015 Bryan rated it liked it
Although the plot threads of this one are rather tired (gangsters and renegade generals, more faked-deaths-within-deaths-within-double-crosses, etc.) the dual-era format works to its advantage. My main complaint is M's kidnapping. It's not the most exciting or original plot twist, for one, but more importantly, why is M still even doing the sort of let-me-go-to-Bond-personally legwork that sets him up for the kidnapping in the first place? The man is 185 years old, and he's flying tailgunner in ...more
Mark Wilson
I wasn't terribly impressed by this installment of the James Bond franchise. I am a huge fan of Ian Fleming's original series and I have yet to read another author who can come close to his standard. COLD was lacking the charm, sophistication and class of a Fleming novel. It was very flat in parts and didn't reach the standard I had hoped for. It had a few good moments, but was disappointing to say the least.
Geoff
Aug 27, 2012 Geoff rated it it was ok
I almost didn't finish "Cold Fall" due to disinterest. The plot felt recycled and the threat farfetched - putting it in the class with many of the Moore and Brosnan movies. Early Gardiner Bonds were more true to Fleming's style. This was disappointing. I finished only to complete the series by Gardiner but really that's the only reason to read it; "Cold Fall" doesn't hold up very well on its own.
Jerome
Dec 23, 2012 Jerome rated it liked it
Cold Fall's plot isn't terrible, but John Gardner
did a shoddy job of writing. There were a bunch of discrepancies that a diehard Bond fanatic would notice. Bond's character did a few things he has never done before, like ordering beer instead of a martini. Like loving two women he had sex with. Like not being the hero because he called in "the cavalry" at the end of the book.
Lori
Dec 01, 2008 Lori rated it liked it
Audiobook. This bond novel was very interesting in that the character I know as Bond from the movies is much different than the one in this book. The book's character is more sensitive, more psychologically developed. The plot was a bit slow going in the middle, but quick paced in the beginning and end. A bit cliche toward the end, but okay. It's Bond, I expected it.
Diana Nagy
May 13, 2016 Diana Nagy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
This was a fantastic read. When I started reading it a few months ago, I put it down because I started another book that ended up capturing my attention. Because I had just begun it, I ended up forgetting about it til a week ago when I picked it up and absolutely loved it. I couldn't stop reading it and finished it in days.
Brian Gilchrist
ummm.....meh? The time break in the plot is a novelty for a bond novel, but like most of Gardener's books, they end with quite a whimper. And I was quite disappointed in the character inconsistencies. Perhaps an appropriate sub title would be "to all the girls I've loved before "
Nicholas
Mar 14, 2013 Nicholas rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Final Gardner penned Bond is a whimper rather than a bang, with a boring & cardboard villain. The book is livened up by its expert handling of the transition to the new Bond template based on the 90s 007 movies, as well as the novel's dual time structure.
Roy
Jun 28, 2016 Roy rated it it was ok
Final John Gardner BOND novel , 3rd to mention his new love Flicka , and M kidnapped .
Charles
Jul 20, 2012 Charles rated it it was amazing
Really a great plot
Caroline
Aug 09, 2010 Caroline rated it really liked it
I loved all of Ian Fleming's Bond novels and was pleased when the Fleming estate allowed other authors to continue the series. James Bond will live forever, imho!
Wsprag
Sep 12, 2009 Wsprag rated it it was ok
This book was not at all good compared to Ian Fleming's characterization of Bond. I can't recommend it, even to hard core fans.
Lugene
Dec 30, 2008 Lugene rated it it was ok
Still not as good as the original or the movies.
Christopher
Christopher rated it did not like it
May 21, 2016
Jinu Mary
Jinu Mary rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2013
Tony Ross
Tony Ross rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2009
Benjamin
Benjamin rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2008
John Farmer
John Farmer rated it liked it
May 10, 2016
Rikard Andersson
Rikard Andersson rated it it was ok
Mar 28, 2013
Suzanne Sabol
Suzanne Sabol rated it really liked it
Dec 23, 2011
Todd
Todd rated it liked it
Jul 10, 2012
Geoff Woodland
Geoff Woodland rated it it was ok
May 05, 2015
  • Never Dream of Dying (Raymond Benson's Bond, #5)
  • James Bond and Moonraker (Film-Script Adaptation)
  • Colonel Sun (James Bond, #15)
  • James Bond: The Authorized Biography of 007
  • Solo
  • Devil May Care (James Bond, #36)
  • Shoot to Kill (Young Bond, #6)
  • Trigger Mortis
  • Secret Servant (The Moneypenny Diaries, #2)
  • Danger Society: The Young Bond Dossier
  • Carte Blanche (James Bond)
  • The Spy Who Loved Me (James Bond, #10)
8190675
Before coming an author of fiction in the early 1960s, John Gardner was variously a stage magician, a Royal Marine officer and a journalist. In all, Gardner has fifty-four novels to his credit, including Maestro, which was the New York Times book of the year. He was also invited by Ian Fleming’s literary copyright holders to write a series of continuation James Bond novels, which proved to be so s ...more
More about John Gardner...

John Gardner's Bond (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • License Renewed (John Gardner's Bond, #1)
  • For Special Services (John Gardner's Bond, #2)
  • Icebreaker (John Gardner's Bond, #3)
  • Role of Honor (John Gardner's Bond, #4)
  • Nobody Lives Forever (John Gardner's Bond, #5)
  • No Deals, Mr. Bond (John Gardner's Bond, #6)
  • Scorpius (John Gardner's Bond, #7)
  • Win, Lose or Die (John Gardner's Bond, #8)
  • Licence to Kill (John Gardner's Bond, #9)
  • Brokenclaw (John Gardner's Bond, #10)