Start by marking “The Sound of a Scream” as Want to Read:
The Sound of a Scream

The Sound of a Scream

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  10 reviews
'The Sound of a Scream', John Manning's third thriller, centres on a woman haunted by her past - facing a killer hiding in plain site.
Published March 1st 2012 by Pinnacle (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Sound of a Scream, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sound of a Scream

Regina
Very much enjoyed this book. At times it was even hard to put down. Very similar read to his other books, but my fear of clowns had me way more spooked. One night I kept reading until morning because I was afraid to go back to sleep while it was dark! If you know how to enjoy a good storyline and can look past any spelling, writing, or grammatical errors (there aren't many, but I have seen people focus on them in other reviews) it's a good read. I recommend this book to anyone that lives to get ...more
Lori Schiele
The Sound of a Scream was a fast-paced and enjoyable combination of horror, mystery and psychological thriller.
A young woman, born an orphan and raised by nuns, is hired to be the governess to the child of a reclusive rich family in Point Woebegone, Maine (a fitting name). But, the first day she arrives, she discovers the body of a murdered woman. It is the first dead body Daphne May has seen, but is most certainly not the last.
As she seeks the mystery of her childhood, Daphne must also help
Sheila
Really more a romance novel than a true thriller. A young woman raised in a convent decides to take a job as a governess in a small town. When she disenbarks from the train, noone is there to meet her and a storm is looming. She accepts a ride to a local pub where she makes a phone call to a taxi. Before the taxi arrives, she discovers a waitress dead in the bathroom stall. She is traumatized. She sees someone dressed as a clown sitting in a booth at the back of the restaurant but noone else see ...more
Melanie Chabrol-
Can we say FANTASTIC! Point Woebegone in Maine is a little small town, and a job brought Daphne May to the town. IMMEDIATELY she is warned to not to to Witherspoon residence, from a complete stranger and a cab driver.
Although she is going to be treaching the troublemaker Christopher the prankster. On her first day there she goes to a bar to have a coffee and goes to the ladies room and bam, sees a dead body in the ladies room. What else is Daphne's fate? She lived in a church and was brought up
Marnie
Okay, so this book is about a coopycat serial killer, that seeks revenge on the family of the original murder. This book was highly predictable, and because of this, I was a bit disappointed. The thing that kept me going was my fear of clowns after reading "It". Which the killer has to dress up like. So of course, this is the whole part that spooked me. Overall, ok read.
Jolene
OH MY GOSH!!!! SUCH A GOOD BOOK!!! HAD ME ON THE EDGE OF MY SEAT WONDERING IF MR PETER WITHERSPOON, SR's GHOST HAD COME BACK FROM THE GRAVE 20+ YEARS LATER TO FINISH HIS MURDEROUS RAMPAGE OR IF THERE WAS A COPY CAT KILLER AROUND!!!!

A MUST READ BOOK!!!
Gevera Bert
Very modern gothic. Governess, history of murders, isolated house on a cliff full of rich eccentrics and a psycho child. Add in a crazy clown and "pop goes the weasel."
Jess
Some critics put his writing on a level with Dean Koontz. Not even close. Ok, but writing style is rather immature.
Elizabeth
This was a good book. Loved the story line. Kept me in suspence.
Aubrianna Heaps
This is fantastic book love it!!!!
Steve Gilbert
Steve Gilbert is currently reading it
Dec 20, 2014
Nathan
Nathan is currently reading it
Nov 14, 2014
Hhkk Jui
Hhkk Jui marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Angela Diaz-Walker
Angela Diaz-Walker marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Penny
Penny added it
Aug 03, 2014
Kailey
Kailey marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Liz
Liz added it
Oct 22, 2014
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Brooke Grider
Brooke Grider marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Patrick Smith
Patrick Smith marked it as to-read
May 08, 2014
April
April marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Valarie Mahmud
Valarie Mahmud marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
John Manning lives in Boston and Los Angeles and several points in between. A connoisseur of horror films, he especially loves the great made-for-television movies of the 1970s, where the devil always seemed to be lurking around the corner of a college dormitory or a suburban mansion.
More about John Manning...
The Killing Room All The Pretty Dead Girls Applied Principles of Hydrology Field Guide To Fynbos What Scares The Boogeyman?