Start by marking “The Sound of a Scream” as Want to Read:
The Sound of a Scream

The Sound of a Scream

'The Sound of a Scream', John Manning's third thriller, centres on a woman haunted by her past - facing a killer hiding in plain site.
Published March 1st 2012 by Pinnacle (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Sound of a Scream, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sound of a Scream

Matt Garcia
Jul 04, 2016 Matt Garcia rated it it was amazing
First of all let me say that I love scary clowns so if a book has any sort of clown in it than that's always a big plus for me. The history of the Witherspoon family is very interesting
Feels very similar to Manning's other novel "The Killing Room" which I thought was fantastic. Solid writing that feels at times like a fear street or R.L. Stine teen thriller but written for adults. I'm saying this a good thing because I grew up loving those books and Manning is a very good writer in my opinion w
Regina
Aug 04, 2013 Regina rated it really liked it
Very much enjoyed this book. At times it was even hard to put down. Very similar read to his other books, but my fear of clowns had me way more spooked. One night I kept reading until morning because I was afraid to go back to sleep while it was dark! If you know how to enjoy a good storyline and can look past any spelling, writing, or grammatical errors (there aren't many, but I have seen people focus on them in other reviews) it's a good read. I recommend this book to anyone that lives to get ...more
Lori Schiele
The Sound of a Scream was a fast-paced and enjoyable combination of horror, mystery and psychological thriller.
A young woman, born an orphan and raised by nuns, is hired to be the governess to the child of a reclusive rich family in Point Woebegone, Maine (a fitting name). But, the first day she arrives, she discovers the body of a murdered woman. It is the first dead body Daphne May has seen, but is most certainly not the last.
As she seeks the mystery of her childhood, Daphne must also help
Sheila
Jun 25, 2012 Sheila rated it it was ok
Really more a romance novel than a true thriller. A young woman raised in a convent decides to take a job as a governess in a small town. When she disenbarks from the train, noone is there to meet her and a storm is looming. She accepts a ride to a local pub where she makes a phone call to a taxi. Before the taxi arrives, she discovers a waitress dead in the bathroom stall. She is traumatized. She sees someone dressed as a clown sitting in a booth at the back of the restaurant but noone else see ...more
Katie Chung
May 27, 2015 Katie Chung rated it really liked it
This is overall an easy-to-read and face-paced novel that will spook you at the end of just about every chapter. It was hard for me to put it down, especially every time I get to the end of a chapter! I guessed who the killer was when I was about a third of the way into the book, but that didn't stop me from finishing it. I wanted to make sure I was right (hahaha). I was still surprised in the end. The twist in the ending was unexpected for me.

Two cons:
1. There were quite some grammatical errors
Melanie Chabrol-
May 22, 2012 Melanie Chabrol- rated it it was amazing
Can we say FANTASTIC! Point Woebegone in Maine is a little small town, and a job brought Daphne May to the town. IMMEDIATELY she is warned to not to to Witherspoon residence, from a complete stranger and a cab driver.
Although she is going to be treaching the troublemaker Christopher the prankster. On her first day there she goes to a bar to have a coffee and goes to the ladies room and bam, sees a dead body in the ladies room. What else is Daphne's fate? She lived in a church and was brought up
Brandon
Jul 19, 2016 Brandon rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: favorites, owned
Thrilling book. Kept me on edge the whole entire time I was reading it. I must the twist of finding out who the copycat killer and the accomplice were was extremely unnerving and unexpected to this reader. I was guessing about everybody in the book could be the copycat killer as the author never gave any details until near the twist as to who the copycat killer was. The accomplice was never given away until late in the book by a simple slip of the tongue. Just a masterful piece of writing. I rec ...more
Allen G.
Jan 06, 2015 Allen G. rated it it was amazing
Such a great book! It keeps you on the edge of your seat for sure. Like others have said in their reviews, there are a good many typos in this book. The way I look at that though is like a good friend, someone that may not be perfect, but deep inside is still a great friend! So you should look past the typos and read this great book that is by far very much worth your time!
Marnie
Oct 24, 2012 Marnie rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller, horror, suspense
Okay, so this book is about a coopycat serial killer, that seeks revenge on the family of the original murder. This book was highly predictable, and because of this, I was a bit disappointed. The thing that kept me going was my fear of clowns after reading "It". Which the killer has to dress up like. So of course, this is the whole part that spooked me. Overall, ok read.
Jolene
Jul 21, 2013 Jolene rated it it was amazing
OH MY GOSH!!!! SUCH A GOOD BOOK!!! HAD ME ON THE EDGE OF MY SEAT WONDERING IF MR PETER WITHERSPOON, SR's GHOST HAD COME BACK FROM THE GRAVE 20+ YEARS LATER TO FINISH HIS MURDEROUS RAMPAGE OR IF THERE WAS A COPY CAT KILLER AROUND!!!!

A MUST READ BOOK!!!
Jenn
Apr 10, 2015 Jenn rated it liked it
It was ok, I picked out the killer mid book. Was a dry run first few chapters but was able to quickly read the rest with ease. Would I recommend it.. sure, its got thriller, love, and family drama.
Daniel Stapleton
Jan 21, 2017 Daniel Stapleton rated it really liked it
This was a gift from my daughter. I liked it, especially condsiderimg it came from her :) I think it's a decent read.
Gevera Bert
Sep 06, 2012 Gevera Bert rated it liked it
Very modern gothic. Governess, history of murders, isolated house on a cliff full of rich eccentrics and a psycho child. Add in a crazy clown and "pop goes the weasel."
Jess
Aug 05, 2012 Jess rated it it was ok
Some critics put his writing on a level with Dean Koontz. Not even close. Ok, but writing style is rather immature.
Elizabeth
May 02, 2012 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
This was a good book. Loved the story line. Kept me in suspence.
Aubrianna Heaps
May 24, 2013 Aubrianna Heaps rated it it was amazing
This is fantastic book love it!!!!
Diana Salyers
Diana Salyers rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2012
Morissa
Morissa rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2014
Ania
Ania rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2012
Pamela Nance
Pamela Nance rated it liked it
Mar 16, 2015
Jeff O'Brien
Jeff O'Brien rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2013
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2014
Aziz Mrabet
Aziz Mrabet rated it liked it
Dec 19, 2016
Nicole
Nicole rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2016
Maryanne
Maryanne rated it liked it
Sep 14, 2016
Jessica
Jessica rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2013
Rachel Shirley
Rachel Shirley rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2015
Bill
Bill rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2015
Maria
Maria rated it did not like it
Oct 07, 2016
Jamie Stewart
Jamie Stewart rated it did not like it
Apr 16, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
John Manning lives in Boston and Los Angeles and several points in between. A connoisseur of horror films, he especially loves the great made-for-television movies of the 1970s, where the devil always seemed to be lurking around the corner of a college dormitory or a suburban mansion.
More about John Manning...