Start by marking “Spirits of New Orleans: Voodoo Curses, Vampire Legends and Cities of the Dead” as Want to Read:
Spirits of New Orleans: Voodoo Curses, Vampire Legends and Cities of the Dead

Spirits of New Orleans: Voodoo Curses, Vampire Legends and Cities of the Dead

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  82 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
The city of New Orleans is formed into the shape of a crescent, which is believed by many people to form a sacred chalice which holds and stores energy making it one of the most unique areas in the world in which to perform magic and to see it magnify due to the energy in the land and from the flowing waters of the Mississippi and Gulf of Mexico.

Since childhood, Kala Ambro
Published September 11th 2012 by Clerisy Press

To ask other readers questions about Spirits of New Orleans, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spirits of New Orleans

Vera Marie
Oct 25, 2012 Vera Marie rated it liked it
Shelves: travel
I would have rated this book more highly if the production values were better. The book is printed on cheap paper and the black and white photographs are so muddy as to be almost impossible to see. That said, the book itself is a surprisingly good guide to New Orleans, with special benefits for mediums and ghost hunters, but solid information for others as well.

Read this guide book to New Orleans, when you’re in a Halloween mood. In Spirits of New Orleans , your guide to all things spooky and
Cheryl
Nov 07, 2012 Cheryl rated it really liked it
Disclaimer first - I received this book free as part of a goodreads giveaway.

Over all, I found this to be a well written, easy to read, interesting book. I felt very much like I was tagging along being shown the sights of a place I've never been before. I had some mixed feelings about her input when talking about the sightings from her personal standpoint, but got over that quickly. It is what she does, so in reality, getting her personal take on a haunting fits. There wasn't a single place she
Regan
Dec 07, 2012 Regan rated it it was amazing
Kala, thank you for such an fun and entertaining book! If I ever make it to New Orleans (as I have planned in my life sometime, I want to look you up and have you be my real life tour guide. As a paranormal investigator, I found this book to be a great guide in and around the dark sides of New Orleans.

This book is filled with so much; ghosts, death, and voodoo. it was a great road map of solid information for someone who's into taking dark tours or investigates the unknown. The book is well wri
Jessica Sargent
Oct 20, 2012 Jessica Sargent rated it it was amazing
This kind of reading is my favorite! The stories were great, I'm thinking of planning a trip to visit New Orleans using the book to map out where to stay and where to visit. I can say how much I loved it!
Gerald
Apr 28, 2013 Gerald rated it really liked it
Weaving historical facts about New Orleans, stories from others about their ghostly experiences, along with her own personal experiences, Spirits of New Orleans is a fascinating book that will go a long way to enriching my next visit to this famously spiritual city.
Susan Gualtier
Nov 12, 2013 Susan Gualtier rated it it was amazing
Shelves: haunted-travel
This is by far the best researched and most interesting book I have read on haunted New Orleans! Kala does a great job of blending the local legends with actual historical research, as well as sharing stories of her own personal encounters with ghosts and vampires in different parts of the city. I particularly enjoyed the chapters on the LaLaurie house, Congo Square, and the Ursuline Convent vampires, all of which contained information that I had not read elsewhere. Kala also includes her own tr ...more
Beth
Oct 13, 2013 Beth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: true-paranormal
As a fan of true paranormal accounts, and a fan of any stories, fiction or non-fiction, that take place in New Orleans, I simply had to read this book. I am so glad that I did! Even if the writer was not a sensitive and able to see spirits, this would still have been a fascinating account of the hauntings in New Orleans. However, her own personal insight from a sensitive's perspective adds to the book immensely. This is not yet another repetition of the hundreds of other books out there about ha ...more
Kristen
Dec 23, 2014 Kristen rated it it was amazing
I discovered this book at a book fair, where the author was attending. The book was on display but not being sold at the event. It was well-worth the effort of tracking down and purchasing!

This is much more than simply a collection of ghost stories about one of the most haunted cities in the U.S. It is also combination love-letter from a person who was raised in the city, and a wonderfully detailed and organized trip planner for anyone wishing to visit New Orleans with a "ghost-hunting" focus.

Dianne Landry
Jan 19, 2015 Dianne Landry rated it really liked it
New Orleans is high on my bucket list and this book can be used as a travel guide. It also tells some really interesting stories of the haunted places throughout the city. I learned things I had never known about how slaves were treated differently there than in the rest of the USA. Except for the author's encounter with a vampire (really?) I found the book lots of fun.
Beth
Feb 16, 2014 Beth rated it it was amazing
I downloaded this right before my fourth trip to New Orleans and had a great time reading it during and after my return. Kala Ambrose takes the reader on a journey through NOLA, exploring historical facts, legends, paranormal stories and current sights. She writes in a fun, light hearted tone, and I love her sense of humor.
Robin
Jan 18, 2016 Robin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: random, history
Very interesting information in this text and certainly a few things I'd love to research further. The author takes great care to give details about the history as well as discussing the paranormal aspects of a location. I felt those details made it a well rounded text.
Jacque Borowski
Jan 01, 2015 Jacque Borowski rated it liked it
This is good as a travel guide, but not as a ghost book. I wanted to hear more ghost stories and less about the author's personal thoughts.
Tracy
Mar 30, 2016 Tracy rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Enjoyable and interesting mix of historical fact and legend!
Kathleen
Aug 28, 2015 Kathleen rated it really liked it
Great stories ... needs some editing.
Joann
Mar 16, 2015 Joann rated it it was amazing
I really liked the stories and history behind those places in New Orleans. It makes me look forward to my next trip to Louisiana.
Dominique
Oct 02, 2015 Dominique rated it really liked it
Loved reading about all the different haunted places in New Orleans and enjoyed all the tips provided by the author at the end of each chapter.
Terri-Maree
Jun 07, 2015 Terri-Maree rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015, i-own-these
Quite interesting, not exactly what I expected. Very entertaining but could benefit from being better edited.
Brandi Judd
Feb 06, 2016 Brandi Judd rated it it was amazing
Can't wait to return to New Orleans and visit more of the haunted locations she talks about in this book.
Lori Stokes Wright
Loved it, great info for a trip to NOLA! Interesting, historical, facts and legends.
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Carly Nicholas
Carly Nicholas marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Sarah rated it it was ok
Apr 28, 2016
Lauren Fryman
Lauren Fryman marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Rachel Tack
Rachel Tack rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2016
Lisa Steadman
Lisa Steadman marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Carmella
Carmella rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2016
Cory
Cory marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2016
Kristina
Kristina marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2016
Ashlee
Ashlee is currently reading it
Apr 03, 2016
Aspa Kand
Aspa Kand marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2016
Visiting with the Spirits of New Orleans 1 5 Sep 08, 2012 10:31AM
  • The Moon Rises (Gigi Monroe, #1)
  • Trainland
  • 2150 A.D.
  • The Truth About Psychics: What's Real, What's Not, and How to Tell the Difference
  • A History of Ghosts: The True Story of Séances, Mediums, Ghosts, and Ghostbusters
  • Farewell, Fred Voodoo: A Letter from Haiti
  • See Jack Die
  • The Crooked House: The Lilith Chronicles Book I
  • Secrets of the Civil War
  • The Santa Papers: the unofficial autobiography of St. Nicholas of Myra
  • All That We See Or Seem
  • Godsworld (The Portal Catch, #1)
  • Eloah's Amulet (Book 1 of 4)
  • The Girls' Ghost Hunting Guide
  • Aliens in Celtic History and Legend: Cases from Britain
  • Realms of the Earth Angels: More Information for Incarnated Angels, Elementals, Wizards, and Other Lightworkers
  • The Secret King: The Myth and Reality of Nazi Occultism
  • The Lady Who Broke the Rules (Castonbury Park #3)
Award winning author, national columnist, inspirational speaker, and host of the Explore Your Spirit with Kala Radio and TV Show, Kala Ambrose's teachings are described as discerning, empowering and inspiring. Whether she’s speaking with world-renowned experts on the Explore Your Spirit with Kala Show, writing about empowering lifestyle choices, reporting on new discoveries in the scientific and s ...more
More about Kala Ambrose...