Start by marking “A Year of Pies: A Seasonal Tour of Home Baked Pies” as Want to Read:
A Year of Pies: A Seasonal Tour of Home Baked Pies

A Year of Pies: A Seasonal Tour of Home Baked Pies

What's better than pie? How about recipes for 60 delicious pies and tarts from cooking maven Ashley English and top food bloggers like Beatrice Peltre, Aran Goyoaga, and Jessie Oleson? These beautifully photographed seasonal recipes include such delights as a Chocolate & Orange Marmalade Tart in winter, a Strawberry & Rhubarb Ginger Hand Pie in spring, a classic La ...more
Published August 7th 2012 by Lark Crafts

To ask other readers questions about A Year of Pies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Year of Pies

Sarahkeith Valentine
Dec 17, 2016 Sarahkeith Valentine rated it really liked it
I love Ashley English's work and this book is great-- some of my favorite recipes so far are the Brown Sugar Buttermilk Pie and the Cranberry Mince tart. I took off one star because I had issues with two of the citrus recipes I've tried (and I've tried them both more than once). The filling did not set up in both. But still delicious!
Elaine
Nov 19, 2015 Elaine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wishlist
Title: A Year of Pies

Author: Ashley English

Genre: Nonfiction, Cookbook, Seasonal, Pies

Plot: I discovered this delicious book at a local library this past summer and checked it out again to prepare for Thanksgiving, even though I don't usually make the pies. Still, who could pass up the wonderful recipes contained in this slim attractive volume?

This beautifully laid out book is divided into five categories - the pre-baking stuff about equipment you're need and the standard pie crusts, Spring, Sum
Qianna
Sep 19, 2013 Qianna rated it it was amazing
Who doesn't love pies? There are a few recipes that I found very interesting. The combination of winter greens & cornbread? Makes a great quiche!!! Or perhaps if you are a beet & apple lover there is a great recipe named roasted beet & apple pie. Most of these pie recipes seem pretty simple to make once you get the crust out of the way. I personally want to try the salted pecan mini tarts or the Mushroom & Chevre Gallette! I can barely pronounce this one but it looks soooo good! ...more
Michelle
Nov 01, 2012 Michelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking
This book is lovely, and full of scrumptious looking pies. Many look very involved, but some look worth it! My minor annoyances---LOTS of them contain alcohol or coffee (why? they are PIES, not lattes) and there is no nutritional information. Although perhaps that is a good thing--some might have heart-attack-inducing stats. Still, a lovely book and if one wanted to go all out on a showstopper pie, this would be a great place to start!
Shannon
Nov 25, 2012 Shannon rated it it was amazing
This is a great cookbook, one I will be ordering soon. A fun, unique blend of how-to for the novice--building basic pie skills, dealing with crustphobia--and some more advanced techniques and flavors.
I LOVE the unique flavors..The limoncello lemon pie and the pumpkin in a gingersnap crust will be appearing soon! One of the other things I enjoy in this (and English's other books) is the input from other bloggers.
Aja Marsh
Apr 27, 2016 Aja Marsh rated it liked it
some fun ideas in here, and generally nice pie photos. but there were just too many non-pie photos-- photos of the ingredients in said pie. once or twice if it's interesting that's ok, but i don't care about photos of the ingredients-- it would be more interesting to see photos of stuff being mixed together. but i liked that there were sweet and savory recipes and some that i hadn't considered before, so that was enjoyable. i walk away with one or two new ideas.
Sara
Sep 12, 2012 Sara rated it really liked it
I was pretty head over heels when a coworker brought in her new copy of A Year of Pies, and went ahead and picked one up for myself. The images are gorgeous and the recipe collection has a nice balance of upgraded classics and more unique additions. Knocked one star for the not so great editing job. I noticed two errors in the first few pages which makes me kinda weary about possible mistakes in the recipes, but I made my first pie last night and it went smoothly and deliciously!
Catherine
Dec 23, 2012 Catherine rated it really liked it
Shelves: food-farm-garden
A diverse assortment of sweet and savory pie recipes, arranged seasonally (although I will have to inform my garden that leeks and carrots are considered spring vegetables). Great photography; clear and concise instructions for each recipe. Recipes that sounded particularly interesting are the mushroom and chevre galette on the savory side, and the chocolate, coffee, and orange marmalade tart on the sweet side.
Lisa
Jan 18, 2017 Lisa rated it liked it
This was ok? There were many recipes with lots of different flavors that look delicious, but.... nothing in this book inspired me to have the desire to go and make a pie. I think almost anything in this I would try and probably like. Given the choice between pie and cake I would totally go with the pie. I do not think that I would run out to buy this book, but it is worth a look.
Melissa Schmidty -Schmidt
Aug 23, 2013 Melissa Schmidty -Schmidt rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loves
I was disappointed when I reached the last page. It featured innovations on traditional pies (but, refreshingly, without trying too hard or losing the classic quality for novelty). There were also delightfully odd pies (carrot pie?!). Ive already added the book to my Amazon wishlist. Oh and Pumpkin Tiramisu Pie will be emerging from my kitchen once I feel the first Autumn chill! Yes.
Care
Jul 29, 2012 Care rated it it was amazing
Not a perfect cookbook but truly the only one I've actually attempted more than half the recipes it contains. The first two recipes were disasters so my expectations were tempered to say the least. But overall, I've come to really love this book and am excited to keep working through the entire list of pies within.
Eva Mizer
Apr 10, 2016 Eva Mizer rated it it was amazing
I received this book for Christmas almost 2 years ago, and I've been slowly working my way through it ever since. Not only can I attest that the recipes are varied and interesting, but they are excellent and easy to work through. I recommend going through each recipe and rating it for future use.
Holly
Jan 19, 2013 Holly rated it really liked it
This is a fab cookbook if you like every kind of pie. Using the seasonal theme the author does a great job combining savory, sweet and even vegetable pie recipes. Some are quite unique but all of them are mouth watering goodness!
Marg
Feb 05, 2014 Marg rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, recipes
It looks like there are some good recipes in here to try! I look forward to trying some. Directions were well laid out and easy to follow, from what I can tell before actually trying any. The history of pies was a nice touch and interesting to read.
Jessica
Jan 24, 2016 Jessica rated it really liked it
Wish there were a few more recipes, though I love the color illustrations, etc.
Anne
Sep 10, 2016 Anne rated it liked it
There were some great ones in here. My baking kicks usually involve a lot of cookies though.
Julie
Jan 03, 2013 Julie rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbook
Took several recipes from this one to try out - especailly looking foward to the peach crumble and the berry sonker.
Elizabeth
Aug 28, 2013 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2014
a couple i'll have to make for sure
Diana
May 01, 2013 Diana rated it liked it
Shelves: cook-book
Some interesting pie ideas.
J
Apr 05, 2014 J rated it it was amazing
A very fun book! :D I like that it's seasonal, and it has a good amount of savory recipes in addition to sweet.
Heydi Smith
Oct 22, 2014 Heydi Smith rated it it was amazing
Wow! That's all I have to say about that! The recipes are amazing, the layout and pictures are perfect, the tips are actually helpful. Beautiful!
Oceandreamer001
Sep 06, 2012 Oceandreamer001 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Beautiful pictures, great recipes. Makes me want to make pies right now!!
Gayatri
Gayatri rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2013
Lois
Lois rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2013
Sharon
Sharon rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2015
Jill
Jill rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2013
sandra howell
sandra howell rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2017
Megan
Megan rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2017
Danielle
Danielle rated it liked it
Mar 12, 2015
Irene
Irene rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Ms. American Pie: Buttery Good Pie Recipes and Bold Tales from the American Gothic House
  • Seasons
  • Home made
  • The Four & Twenty Blackbirds Pie Book: Uncommon Recipes from the Celebrated Brooklyn Pie Shop
  • The Sprouted Kitchen: A Tastier Take on Whole Foods
  • Rustic Fruit Desserts: Crumbles, Buckles, Cobblers, Pandowdies, and More
  • In the Green Kitchen: Techniques to Learn by Heart
  • Southern Pies: A Gracious Plenty of Pie Recipes, From Lemon Chess to Chocolate Pecan
  • The Food52 Cookbook: 140 Winning Recipes from Exceptional Home Cooks
  • Vintage Cakes: Timeless Recipes for Cupcakes, Flips, Rolls, Layer, Angel, Bundt, Chiffon, and Icebox Cakes for Today's Sweet Tooth
  • Roots: The Definitive Compendium with more than 225 Recipes
  • Homemade with Love: Simple Scratch Cooking from In Jennie's Kitchen
  • The Back in the Day Bakery Cookbook : More Than 100 Recipes From the Best Little Bakery In the South
  • Top Pot Hand-Forged Doughnuts: Secrets and Recipes for the Home Baker
  • The Tuscan Sun Cookbook: Recipes from Our Italian Kitchen
  • Lucid Food: Cooking for an Eco-Conscious Life
  • La Tartine Gourmande: Gluten-Free Recipes for an Inspired Life
  • The Joy of Gluten-Free, Sugar-Free Baking: 80 Low-Carb Recipes that Offer Solutions for Celiac Disease, Diabetes, and Weight Loss
Ashley English is the author of the "Homemade Living" book series (Lark Books) which showcases topics related to small-scale homesteading and some of the diverse ways people are reconnecting with their food and food communities and taking up sustainable food practices.

--from the author's blog
More about Ashley English...