Start by marking “The Gentle Art of Stitching: 40 Projects Inspired by Everyday Beauty” as Want to Read:
The Gentle Art of Stitching: 40 Projects Inspired by Everyday Beauty

The Gentle Art of Stitching: 40 Projects Inspired by Everyday Beauty

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  7 reviews
This beautifully illustrated inspirational guide presents simple yet stylish stitched pieces for your home, from quilts and samplers to needlepoint pincushions and greeting cards. Each of the 40 projects reflects Jane Brocket's “gentle” approach, which values the creative process as much as the finished object. With techniques ranging from Japanese Sashiko to traditional c ...more
Published October 16th 2012 by Collins & Brown (first published September 4th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Gentle Art of Stitching, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gentle Art of Stitching

Penny McGill
Brought this one home to inspire some fun fabric projects but there weren't too many that caught the attention of the girls. It's a wonderful book. Beautiful photographs and great instructions + detailed glossary of steps to do the simple or advanced stitching. Just not the right style for anyone around here. It's absolutely worth taking home, if only to spend an hour with a cup of tea and browse through the lovely things on the pages.
This book is as lovely and informative as Jane Brocket's other "Gentle Art" books. None of the projects are daunting, and all are easily do-able both in skills and materials for anyone without years of experience and without a really good needle-work store nearby.

My only complaint (and it's a paltry one) is that I'd like to have had a few photos of the pieces as they were in progress. I find it easier to see the way to do something than to read a description of the process.

But that is a prefere
LemontreeLime
I like Jane's work, and I check out her blog once in a while. This was the first time I ever examined one of her books, however. This could be fun. Lots of project ideas, clearly and prettily presented, great photos. Most of the projects would be overly ambitious for myself, my skill set is fair to middling. But they actually look like they could be _FUN_, and that is enough to make me consider twice maybe i should try one...
Beverly
I read this cover to cover. The photography is really nice, and the projects, while not too challenging, will make excellent introductions to different types of stitching. I would have liked more detailed instructions, but at the same time, I appreciate Brocket's trusting the reader to be able to figure out simple stitching. This is one to add to my bookshelf.
Danette
Beautiful book in every way! So happy I purchased it. I am never disappointed in anything by Jane Brocket.
Aimee Gowlett
Beautiful photos and projects to attempt.
PWRL
May 01, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2013-new
SM
Kelly Klug
Kelly Klug marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
Heather Linton
Heather Linton marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Thomasin
Thomasin marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Alison
Alison added it
May 21, 2014
Jen
Jen added it
Apr 02, 2014
Dianna
Dianna marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
[From the author's website:]

My first book The Gentle Art of Domesticity was published by Hodder & Stoughton in October 2007. My second book Cherry Cake and Ginger Beer was published by Hodder & Stoughton in July 2008 and my third book with Hodder Ripping Things to Do was published in July 2009. September 2008 saw the publication in the USA of The Gentle Art of Domesticity by STC Crafts/Mel
More about Jane Brocket...
The Gentle Art Of Domesticity Cherry Cake and Ginger Beer: A Golden Treasury of Classic Treats Spotty, Stripy, Swirly: What Are Patterns? Turkish Delight & Treasure Hunts: Delightful Treats and Games from Classic Children's Books The Gentle Art of Knitting: 40 Projects Inspired by Everyday Beauty