Start by marking “Artifact (Jaya Jones Treasure Hunt Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
Artifact (Jaya Jones Treasure Hunt Mystery, #1)

Artifact (Jaya Jones Treasure Hunt Mystery #1)

When historian Jaya Jones receives a mysterious package containing a jewel-encrusted artifact from India, sent by her ex-lover the same day he died in a supposed accident in the Highlands of Scotland, she discovers the secrets of a lost Indian treasure may be hidden in a Scottish legend from the days of the British Raj.

But she's not the only one on the trail.

From San Franc
Published August 28th 2012 by Gargoyle Girl Productions (first published August 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Artifact, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Artifact

Jonathan
Excellent, absolutely excellent. I was wanting an adventure, and I got one! Ms. Pandian did a wonderful job of combining theft, treasure hunts, and murder. Overall an absolutely wonderful book. Highly recommend!
Mark Baker
Sep 29, 2016 Mark Baker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2016
New history professor Jaya Jones is trying to process the death of her ex-boyfriend when she receives a package in the mail from him that contains a bracelet. It looks to be old and possibly valuable. Now, she’s wondering if he really died in an accident like everyone thinks or if it was murder. And what is the story of the bracelet?

While I always enjoy a cozy mystery, I love when an author adds something else, which is the case here. I was hoping for a caper feel to things, and this book delive
Roberta
Jul 13, 2012 Roberta rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, fiction
I received this ARC from first-reads.

Jaya, the main character in this murder mystery, has received a long lost ruby Indian artifact from her recently deceased ex-boyfriend. She is apparently the only one who suspects that her ex-boyfriend's death is not a simple accident and she sets out to solve the mystery of his death and the source of the mysterious artifact.

The thing that I particularly like about this book is that so much history was included in the story without bogging it down, making i
Hilary
I received this book from the Goodreads first reads program.

What a fun read!

Gigi Pandian writes with a quick wit, a loving attention to the eccentricities of the anthropological trades, and a keen eye for history. She wrapped the history of British India up with snippets of Scotland and even a bit of San Francisco culture quite well. Classic treasure hunt, classic adventure tale, classic mystery... what's not to love?

Indeed, this book did bring to mind Indiana Jones, and I'd be lying if I said I
Suspense Magazine
Sep 25, 2012 Suspense Magazine rated it it was amazing
If Indiana Jones had a sister, it would definitely be historian Jaya Jones, the likeable—and very curious—protagonist in “Artifact,” the debut treasure hunt mystery by Gigi Pandian.
Jaya receives a mysterious package from her ex-lover, Rupert, sent the same day he died in a supposed accident in Scotland. The package contains a jewel-encrusted artifact from India, and a cryptic note asking Jaya to hide the artifact for him because she’s the only one he can trust. Delving deeper into the provenance
John
Jan 12, 2013 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another women sleuth but this one is special and unique as she is a PHD seeking tenure at a San Francisco Bay area university. Her specialty is centered on the history of the relationship of Britain and India. She is very smart, very clever, very motivated, very head strong, very attractive, has relationships with mysterious men and knows and practices ju-jitsu.

What more could you desire as a female mystery protagonist? And did I say she is cute and from from Berkeley.

I particularly enjoyed ho
Heather Fineisen
Jul 11, 2012 Heather Fineisen rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
This debut featuring historian extrordinaire Dr. Jaya Jones could and should develop a great following. Artifact is a fun and informative introduction to a cast of characters as diverse as Dr. Jones is, and Pandian captures the quirks and distinctions with aplomb. Conversation is one of the most enjoyable features of this mystery as Pandian has a knack for dialogue and cadence that is charming without turning anyone into a caricature of their nationality. The romance is not overdone, and there i ...more
Kribu
I'm not exactly original in saying this, but Artifact by Gigi Pandian is very much a story in the vein of Elizabeth Peters' Vicky Bliss mysteries, combining adventure with treasure hunt, murders, academics, humour and a dash of romance.

Is it as good? Hmm. The Vicky Bliss stories I've read so far aren't my favourite Elizabeth Peters books, but they're nice, entertaining, fun reads, and Pandian's Artifact is much the same.

I found the pacing pretty good, the research & historical detail intere
Tami
Aug 28, 2012 Tami rated it really liked it
I haven't received my copy yet, just received notice I had won. 8/28/12
Received 8/31/12 started 9/1/12 and finished 9/2/12

Jaya Jones receives an Indian bracelet and mysterious note from her ex boyfriend Rupert in the mail. The package was postmarked the same day Rupert died in an automobile accident in Scotland. She decides the coincidence of the date was fishy and she needs to determine if the artifact was the reason Rupert was killed. She meets Lane, and jewelry historian expert, and together
Karen
Apr 22, 2017 Karen rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, fiction, genre
Cozy History, Archaeology mystery
When historian Jaya Jones receives a mysterious package containing a jewel-encrusted artifact from India, sent by her ex-lover the same day he died in the Highlands of Scotland, she discovers the secrets of a lost Indian treasure may be hidden in a Scottish legend from the days of the British Raj.
But she's not the only one on the trail.
From San Francisco to London to the Highlands of Scotland, Jaya must evade a shadowy stalker as she follows hints to a remote arc
Kristen
Jun 01, 2017 Kristen rated it it was ok
This sounded fun and cute. It was cute, but it came across for me as trying to be so cute and clever that it always felt like it was trying just a little too hard and seemed forced.

I also couldn't connect to any of the characters as real people I cared about. They all felt like comic book characters who did cliched things, and said forced lines.

This was just the wrong book for me, I think. It didn't connect for me at all. When I got almost to the halfway point and still wasn't truly invested in
Selah (abibliophilesstyle)
A fun romp! Jaya Jones is an appealing heroine, with some actual skills that set her apart from the normal cozy sleuth (she's a historian and trained in jiu-jitsu). Her half Indian heritage adds interest and makes her perfect for the Popsugar Reading Challenge!
Steve
Apr 23, 2014 Steve rated it really liked it
Jaya Jones is the focus of this adventure. She is half American, half Indian, not quite five feet tall, and a young college history professor in San Francisco. This is the first of a series. The book blurb likens her to a female Indiana Jones. I’m not so sure that that’s valid, but I did like her. The story follows from Jones’ receiving shocking news about the demise of an old boyfriend, and a package from him containing rare jewelry on the same day she gets the news. Jones connects with a young ...more
Shelley Giusti
May 09, 2013 Shelley Giusti rated it it was amazing
LOVE LOVE LOVED This book. Gigi Pandian is the Author of this SENSATIONAL novel.

If you love books about treasure hunting and murder than this one is for you. You will love Jaya Jones.

Jaya recieves a bracelet in the mail from Rupert her ex-boyfriend and he tells her that he had to send it to her to keep it safe and she would know what to do with it! Rupert was beleieved to be killed in a car accident. So that sparked Jaya to find out why some one would want to kill for this bracelet and would t
Larissa Reinhart
Some of my favorite authors growing up were Elizabeth Peters, Barbara Michaels, Agatha Christie, and Mary Stewart. As I began reading ARTIFACT, I was instantly reminded of my love for these authors and their stories through Gigi Pandian's writing. She balances humor, history, romance and international locations with a light hand, but with a story that is compelling and thrilling. I felt like my high school self, eschewing all my duties to continue reading this wonderful adventure. (Except now, i ...more
Yves Fey
Jan 22, 2013 Yves Fey rated it really liked it
Artifact by Gigi Pandian is a winner, a charming, deceptively effortless blend of romantic suspense, mystery and adventure. The pacing is terrific, the plot delightfully convoluted, and characters distinctive. I’d consider it primarily romantic suspense since the focus is on the romantic triangle-one corner is pretty wobbly, still the emphasis is on these characters' interplay. While all the suspects are fairly presented, as a mystery fan I’d have appreciated a bit more time and detail to play w ...more
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
A fun first book in a new series (to me!). I have heard about these books for years and finally bought this book on Amazon because it was the bargain price of $0.99. Since I had books 3 and 4 already on my kindle, thought I should start with this one before jumping into those.

The mystery portion is well hidden, you might be able to figure out it, but then again maybe not. I know I had no idea. She travels to Scotland and I think the author did a great job with language and what you might hear if
Mary
Jul 13, 2012 Mary rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
This is a book that lures you in from the very first page. It's an easy to read book with dynamic and fun characters making for an irresistible combination you won't want to put down. The writing had a straightforward style yet keeps you guessing about the outcomes of the mystery. Being an avid mystery reader, it's not often I can't predict the next plot thread, but this book had some nice surprises!

Well done Gigi Pandian! I can't wait for the next installment in the Jaya Jones Treasure Hunt ser
Theresa de Valence
Feb 18, 2013 Theresa de Valence rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook, reviewed
When the story opens, Jaya Jones resides in San Francisco. Now an archeologist, she was born in India of Tamil descent and has lived around the world. Jaya soon begins a treasure hunt drawing resources from her many connections. Although I read the story many months ago, the story is still with me. Jaya’s voice is strong and witty—that girl has spunk!

ARTIFACT mixes mystery with adventure and a touch of romance, a delightful combination!

Lynn Farris
Sep 23, 2012 Lynn Farris rated it it was amazing
I love books that take me on an adventure to worlds I haven’t experienced. Gigi Pandian in “Artifact”, her first book in the Jaya Jones Treasure Hunt Mystery series takes us on just such a journey. We travel from San Francisco to London to the Scottish Highlands and along the way we learn about the history of India and the legendary fairies of Scottish lore.

To read the full review see: http://www.examiner.com/article/enjoy...
HENERY PRESS
“How wonderful to see a young, new writer who harks back to the Golden Age of mystery fiction. Artifact is witty, clever, and twisty… Do you like Agatha Christie? Elizabeth Peters? Then you’re going to love Gigi Pandian.” — Aaron Elkins, Edgar Award-Winning Author of the Gideon Oliver “Skeleton Detective” Mysteries
Jess Faraday
Feb 16, 2016 Jess Faraday rated it it was amazing
As with the Accidental Alchemist books, the plot seems pretty standard. However, the characters, writing, and setting sparkle and shine and more than make up for that. I'm looking forward to devouring the rest of the series.
Zora
May 09, 2013 Zora rated it did not like it
A self-published book that claims to be by the next Elizabeth Peters. It's not anywhere near that good (which I should have known by the absence of a legitimate publisher). Slow, with many seams showing.
Melissa Sargent
Sep 01, 2012 Melissa Sargent rated it really liked it
A great twist in mystery genre. I thought the story was great. It was a quick, entertaining read. This review was provided in exchange for a copy of the book from Goodreads Firstreads and the author.
Cori
Mar 17, 2017 Cori rated it it was amazing
good mystery that kept me guessing till the end!
Linda
Jun 15, 2017 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Three and a half stars--loved the historical background of the modern day mystery!
Satinder Hawkins
May 20, 2017 Satinder Hawkins rated it it was ok
Likeable main character but the plotting if the story was ultimately unsatisfying.
Mare
Nov 22, 2016 Mare rated it really liked it
Fun start to a series. I really enjoyed it. Action, well-defined characters, and interesting settings will keep you entertained very nicely.
Stacey
Oct 12, 2016 Stacey rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I've read by Gigi Pandian and I'm hooked. I enjoyed her strong female character of Jaya Jones as well as the other characters she interacts with (Lane, Rupert, Angus, Fergus, Nadia). I'm a huge fan of cozy mysteries, humor, and anything involving a treasure hunt. I look forward to reading the next 3 books in this series, and I'm excited I've found a new protagonist to follow.
Heather Larcombe
Mar 10, 2017 Heather Larcombe rated it liked it
Liked it, didn't love it. Not sure if I liked it enough to continue with the series. Depends on if I decide I simply must know more about Lane -- a character I started out loathing but grew to kind of like.

• Hijack in Abstract (A Cherry Tucker Mystery, #3)
  • Buried Leads (A Headlines in High Heels Mystery, #2)
  • Cropped to Death (Faith Hunter Scrap This Mystery, #1)
  • Other People's Baggage
  • Last Diner Standing (Rose Strickland Mystery, #2)
  • Killer Image (Allison Campbell Mystery #1)
  • That Touch of Ink (Mad for Mod Mystery, #2)
  • The Ambitious Card (An Eli Marks Mystery, #1)
  • Double Whammy (Davis Way Crime Caper, #1)
  • Lowcountry Bombshell (A Liz Talbot Mystery, #2)
  • Malicious Masquerade
  • Forgive & Forget (Love in the Fleet, #1)
Gigi Pandian is the USA Today bestselling author of the Jaya Jones Treasure Hunt Mystery Series (Artifact, Pirate Vishnu, Quicksand, and Michelangelo's Ghost), the Accidental Alchemist mysteries (The Accidental Alchemist, The Masquerading Magician, and The Elusive Elixir), and locked-room "impossible crime" short stories.

Gigi's debut novel was awarded a Malice Domestic Grant and named a "Best of 2
More about Gigi Pandian...

Jaya Jones Treasure Hunt Mystery (5 books)
  • Pirate Vishnu (Jaya Jones Treasure Hunt Mystery, #2)
  • Quicksand (Jaya Jones Treasure Hunt Mystery, #3)
  • Michelangelo's Ghost (Jaya Jones Treasure Hunt Mystery, #4)
  • The Ninja's Illusion (Jaya Jones Treasure Hunt Mystery, #5)