Start by marking “Her Heart's Desire (Nebraska Historicals, #1)” as Want to Read:
Her Heart's Desire (Nebraska Historicals, #1)

Her Heart's Desire (Nebraska Historicals)

Some men don't realize the right woman is the one they aren't pursuing....

As soon as Sally Larson meets Rick Johnson, she knows he's the one for her. The catch? He's interested in her friend, Ethel Mae. But Sally has a plan. With Ethel Mae's help, she convinces Rick that the only way he'll get Ethel Mae is to make her jealous. So he agrees to pretend to be interested in Sa
Published March 24th 2012 by Wedded Bliss Romances, LLC (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Her Heart's Desire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Her Heart's Desire

†Ðawn†
++Spoilers+++

3.5

Another fantastically sweet comfort read!

So why the lower rating? Well, even though I enjoyed this book, it just wasn't as good as others I have read by this author.

What I liked:

-A sweet romance with another perfect hero.
-It was fun seeing the heroine and her friend conspiring together
-I loved how Rick totally fell in love with Sally, forgetting about her friend Ethel Mae
-It was awesome that his inital attraction to Ethel Mae didn't bother me as a reader, thanks to the author's
Melody
Aug 08, 2014 Melody rated it liked it
This book isn't bad but it isn't very good either. The heroine is young, immature , selfish and a bit manipulative. At first I thought this might be tailored more towards a teen audience. Then came the sex scene which I found more descriptive than I would want my teens to read. At the end of the book they have a flash forward from 3 years later after book two. This gives away what happens in the next book so I guess I don't even need to read it. Why would she do that? Finally there are several t ...more
Cici
Feb 18, 2014 Cici rated it it was ok
At the outset it sounds like a sweet old fashioned comedy. With a classic switch and bait. But, the heroine is too young. No real depth to the characters. The hero is easily lead. And the idea that this is clean HAH! JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE MARRIED, THIS IS STILL GRAPHIC SEX. NO THANKS, this is not clean!
Judy
May 25, 2012 Judy rated it it was amazing
Rick Johnson wants to court Ethel Mae Jordan. Ethel Mae Jordan does not want to be courted by Rick Johnson so she has her friend, Sally Larson, over when Rick comes calling in hopes that she will want him. Sally immediately sees that she would love to be courted and even marry the handsome Judge Johnson...only if he could see her past Ethel Mae. But Sally's a clever girl and sets out to win her man...Her Heart's Desire.

After reading the previous books in this series and have this book come out a
Tonileg
Dec 15, 2013 Tonileg rated it it was ok
Historical Western romance with a cat chasing a mouse when there is some turn around and happy ever afters for most people which is the usual goodness from Ruth Ann Nordin. I've read half a dozen book by Ms.Ruth Ann Nordin and it is always quality story telling so I dove into this slightly silly story.
Sally Larson wants to marry Judge Rick Johnson as soon as she meets him at her best friend's house, Ethel Mae, but there is a problem because Rick wants to court Ethel Mae and didn't even notice Sa
Mars
Nov 15, 2014 Mars rated it really liked it
Her Heart's Desire by Ruth Ann Nordin is a lovely story about friendship and love. Sally, the main character of this book, falls in love with Rick, a handsome new judge in town.The only problem is that Rick has his eyes and heart set on Ethel Mae, Sally's close friend.
Ethel Mae, having a lot of admiring suitors, doesn't enjoy Rick's company.So Sally, Ethel Mae, and Vivian, Ethel Mae's younger sister devise a plan to win Rick over to Sally.
During the visits with Rick, Sally and Ethel Maw have to
Gretchen Fatouros
Oct 27, 2012 Gretchen Fatouros rated it liked it
I love Ruth Ann Nordin's books! This was a prequel to the rest of the books about the Larson family. It was sweet and simple, which I enjoy in her books.

If you'd been waiting for Sally's story, here it is. Fun to see the younger kids, who we see grown up in later book.

This is the best order to read these in (per Ruth Ann Nordin's website 05/14):

1 - Her Heart’s Desire (Nebraska Book 1) – Sally Larson’s romance
2 - A Bride for Tom (Nebraska Book 2) – Tom Larson’s romance
3 - A Husband for Margaret (
Annette
Apr 06, 2014 Annette rated it it was amazing
Her Heart's Desire
By Ruth Ann Nordin

This was such a fun read. Witty characters, easy-going plot and sweet romance. Great one to grab a blanket, a cup of coffee and relax in your favorite chair as you have a can't put the book down afternoon. No it doesn't have complicated plot and much is predictable but Nordinn weaves her storytelling in such a way you just enjoy the relaxed tone.

I loved how she developed so many of the characters. I felt I was sitting on the porch of farmhouse and could envisi
Cayla
Feb 01, 2015 Cayla rated it liked it
As someone who used to live in Omaha, I found this book somewhat appealing. It's a good book, for the most part, but it didn't draw me in completely. Basically two girls conspire to make a man fall in love with one of them. He's interested in one of them, but she doesn't return his affections. The other girl, however, seems to think the world of him and plots to make him like her.

All in all, you'll find it funny and you might even chuckle out loud! But it's not a five star book by any means.

((((
Callie
May 05, 2016 Callie rated it did not like it
Could not even finish this book

Struggling to finish. I am not sure that I'm going to be able to finish this book. The only reason I even selected it was because I was going to start another book, but found out it is apparently part of this series and came several books after this one. I thought I might like to read the books in order, so I started this one and have been very disappointed.

The characters are shallow, especially the main female lead, who is manipulative and immature. The writing is
Jane
What are friends for if not to help each other convince the man they love to want them. Sally Larson's friend Ethel Mae and her younger sister Vivian are two such friends as they work together to switch Rick Johnson's affections from Ethel Mae to Sally. After Rick spends time with Sally, he realizes he is more interested in her than Ethel Mae and plots a plan to show her how much he cares.

The book had love, love scenes, humor and a happy ever after ending within a strong family, which should hav
Amanda Lane
Dec 22, 2013 Amanda Lane rated it it was amazing
Another great book by Ruth of course I read this book last in the series. I must say the first free book I received by Ruth is what got me started and all the books I purchased after, her works have not failed me. This particular story follows the oldest sister Sally and her plan to win the man she wants to marry. Rick initially has eyes for Sally friend Ethel Mae. Of course it is no surprise to me the outcome after having gotten to know the Larsen family. Great story.
Elizabeth
Apr 24, 2014 Elizabeth rated it liked it
I bought this novel as a free nook book. I was pleasantly surprised by the story. The story of how Rick and Sally met is a cute one, and we follow them through all the errors and expectations of "visiting". It was a great story, through I think I would have enjoyed a bit more detail as to why Rick fixated on Sally's friend so much upon meeting her. I enjoyed this story and I would definitely pick up another novel from his author.
Judy Lavik
May 20, 2014 Judy Lavik rated it it was amazing
Sweet western romance

Rick likes Ethel Mae, but she's not interested in him. She thinks her friend, Sally, will like him though, so she introduces them. Now Sally likes Rick, but he still likes Ethel Mae, who still finds him boring. Then things start to get complicated.

This book is sweet, romantic, and fill of humor. The secondary characters are quite interesting, and I look forward to seeing them featured in their own books.
Jody
Sep 28, 2012 Jody rated it liked it
Shelves: owned-books, ebook
Not my favorite one in the series. Glad to know how they meet, but I read A Bride for Tom first and that seemed to be the perfect start to the series (but chronologically this one comes first). The trouble with the mother-in-law was really just a huge miscommunication and people jumping to conclusion. Funny how tried to distract from what he thought he wanted. Funny how he found out what was really going on. Would have figured it out sooner if not met Samuel.
Megan
Jan 22, 2014 Megan rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
There were some funny parts, especially with Vivian, and the book kept me interested until the end. It was anticlimactic and although the last chapter nicely caught us up with updates on everyone's lives, it was boring & slow. Although I don't normally mind love scenes, it just didn't seem appropriate in this book. The didn't fit with the flow and feel. It was a strong 3 stars most of the way through but the end had me thinking more like 2.5 stars.
Pam
Jan 19, 2014 Pam rated it it was amazing
Sally decides she wants to marry Richard when he comes to town to work for the Judge. However, he shows he is definitely interested in her best friend. Her friend doesn't want him for a husband so they plot to get him to see Sally as a person and the person he really wants to marry. Will it work?
Shelley Chastagner
Nov 09, 2012 Shelley Chastagner rated it really liked it
Sally has plans, big plans that include a life with Rick Johnson. Now she just has to get Rick to focus on her and not her best friend. The two put their heads together and start scheming. The fun ends with Rick turning the tables.
Adult content
Bobbie
Jan 16, 2014 Bobbie rated it it was ok
it was an ok book. Ok story, ok characters. Very unrealistic. Was easy to put down. Didn't fall in love with any character. Vivian was probably the most endearing and realistic of them all and one of the smaller parts. The story just didn't hold credence with me. I would pass on this one.
Samantha Clysdale
Sep 30, 2015 Samantha Clysdale rated it liked it
I am obsessed with this series of books. I love how this book follows both the man and woman. Also that the woman will do anything to get their man. Looking forward to reading the rest of the series.
Mary Hauser
Dec 25, 2015 Mary Hauser rated it it was amazing
This book as amazing. I can't wait to read the next book in this series. I really enjoyed it and didn't want to put it down. I hope the next one is as good.

This book is amazing. I can't wait to read the next one. I had a hard time putting it down.
Annette K Hernandez
Aug 12, 2015 Annette K Hernandez rated it liked it
This story was entertaining.

The story was ok. It seemed a bit farfetched, but pleasant. People that have decided to get away from New York and create a new way of life, settling in Nebraska.
A Gondek
Jun 16, 2015 A Gondek rated it it was ok
Just ok

Was very slow to start. Was a cute love story just a bit dry. Have it two stars for it being cute reminded me of little house on the prairie
Rosa Grant
Jan 21, 2015 Rosa Grant rated it it was amazing
Great read

On a rainy day this was a great story to relax with, I couldn't put it down until I found out what happen with the mother-in-law and her best friend.
Lisa Swanepoel
Feb 13, 2015 Lisa Swanepoel rated it liked it
Very sweet predictable romance. Not much meat to the characters or story but a readable romance.
Betty Melton
Nicely written

the pace was good. a good book for escape. did not require deep thought but kept you interested. would read from this author again
James Atkins
Feb 22, 2015 James Atkins rated it it was ok
Quick read

This book was an easy read, but it was somewhat disappointing. The plot was not hard to figure out and it was easy to see how the characters developed.
Carolina
May 11, 2016 Carolina rated it it was ok
Its a tame book, sweet in its nature, its comfortably written, a light read.
Maria
Jul 31, 2014 Maria rated it liked it
I love historical romances because they show us a time were everything was different; education, food, jobs, politics, household, etc. Sally and Rick story was very romantic and beautiful.
Missy
Nov 02, 2013 Missy rated it really liked it
A fun madcap twist on finding love.....a wonderful fun read.
  • High Stakes Bride (Men of Stone Mountain, #2)
  • The Bargain Bride
  • The Christmas Mail Order Bride (Holiday Mail Order Brides, #1)
  • One True Love
  • Stranger's Bride (Kansas Brides, #1)
  • The Rancher's Secret Wife (Cooper Creek, #3)
  • Montana Bride
  • A Brooding Beauty (Wedded Women Quartet, #1)
  • Masquerade Secrets (Scandals and Secrets, #2)
  • Blinded By Love (Mail Order Bride: Brides of the West #1)
  • Liberty for Paul (Scandalous Sisters #2)
  • Mail Order Love
  • Tougher Than The Rest (MacLarens of Fire Mountain, #1)
  • To Love a Stranger (Wyoming #4)
  • A Mail Order Bride for Charlie (The Carson Brothers of Kansas, #1)
  • Captain Corcoran's Hoyden Bride
  • Nothing To Commend Her
  • Married to a Stranger
What's to say? I write a lot. I read often. I sleep little. Once in awhile, I've been known to clean the house. A number of kids live in my house and there's this guy they call dad and I call husband. All in all, it's a pretty good life. :-)
More about Ruth Ann Nordin...

Nebraska Historicals (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Wagon Trail Bride (Nebraska Historicals)
  • A Bride for Tom (Nebraska Historicals, #2)
  • A Husband for Margaret (Nebraska Historicals, #3)
  • Eye of the Beholder (Nebraska Historicals, #4)
  • The Wrong Husband (Nebraska Historicals, #5)
  • Shotgun Groom (Nebraska Historicals, #6)
  • To Have and to Hold (Nebraska Historicals, #7)
  • His Redeeming Bride (Nebraska Historicals, #8)
  • Forever Yours (Nebraska Historicals)
  • Isaac's Decision (Nebraska Historicals, #9)